Titles of the Belgian Royal Family 1: Ending Aug.2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I am sorry. The Moniteur Belge is a collection of inconsequences and anomalies. The Belgian state apparatus, hopelessly organized alike a Gordian Knot, is infamous for inaccuracies, incompleties and incompetences.

The style Princess Claire Coombs indicates that she is from the princely family Coombs, exactly like Princess Christine de Ligne or Princess Elizabeth de Chimay.

Mademoiselle Claire Louise Coombs was created a Princess of Belgium. The title follows her own name. There are two options:

Claire Coombs, Princess of Belgium
HRH Princess Claire of Belgium

Never ever have I seen the Belgian Court using Princess Claire Coombs.

I can only say that I have made the effort to quote and link to half a dozen official sources of information, in order not to have to ask readers to trust in my words.

It is also requested by the forum rules that "Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources". I believe I have done so, and in the same spirit, I respectfully request those who disagree with the information I have posted, on this or other occasions, to also refer to their sources.

In Belgium, for example, it was the fact that the royal family was legally required to have a surname under the Civil Code which forced King Philippe to reclaim his family's Saxon titles in 2015 after almost a century, even though he had no wish to use them.

Thank you, Tatiana Maria, for explaining that the reason for returning to the discarded "de Saxe-Cobourg" in 2015 was due to legal Belgian requirements for a surname, but I don't understand why "of Belgium" wasn't formalized instead, or something else like Windsor chosen altogether.

I am partway through a more expansive explanation of the 2015 royal decree, with proper attribution of legal authorities and recorded facts, which will hopefully clarify issues such as these. It is still incomplete, but parts 1-6 are finished: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...elgian-royal-family-38975-18.html#post2321611 If anyone has questions or concerns about what I have written there, please feel free to ask.

But I will try to provide a relatively short answer to your question, Prinsara. King Philippe's intention was to prevent "of Belgium" from being formally recognized as the royal family's surname. The reason was that the King does not hold the power to regulate the surnames of his family members. (Thus, he could not merely change family members' surnames to a brand-new name like Windsor without their consent.) If "of Belgium" were to be confirmed as the family's legal surname, there might be a hundred royal descendants all bearing and passing on the name "of Belgium" in a few generations, and the then-monarch would be powerless to put a stop to it.

Unfortunately for Philippe, the requirement in the Civil Code that all Belgians be registered with a surname made it difficult to argue that "of Belgium" was not their surname. The male-line blood princes and princesses of the royal family were entered into the civil registry as, for example, "His Royal Highness Prince Laurent Benoît Baudouin Marie, Prince of Belgium". Which implied that either Laurent was violating the law by registering himself without a surname (not an argument Philippe would wish to make, presumably), or else Laurent's surname was included within his registered identity of "His Royal Highness Prince Laurent Benoît Baudouin Marie, Prince of Belgium". Since it stretches plausibility to argue that "His Royal Highness" or "Prince" is a surname, the only reasonable inference was that "of Belgium" was his surname.

By reconfirming the members of the family as e.g. "His Royal Highness Prince Laurent Benoît Baudouin Marie, Prince of Belgium, Duke of Saxony, Prince of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha", the King opened the way to claim that "of Saxe-Coburg", rather than "of Belgium", was the segment of Laurent's civil identity which qualified as his legal surname. (I am only using Laurent as an example; the other male-line descendants of Leopold I were registered in the same manner.)

Just as a general reminder to readers, sources for the information in this post have been posted earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
Your theses have no interest to me Belgian Citizen .

They are mistakes about Queen Mathilde's family.

I have as lawyer family correct informations . so AMEN

It would be helpful if you point out the mistakes and share the 'correct information' instead of just accusing someone...

[Deleted as Somebody already made the same request I meant to post - thanks!]

Last edited:

Why so haughty and on your high horse? This display of superiority is not nice to say the least...

I know the correct laws of my country , I know the mistakes written on this thead but I should have said it on a more kind way . Sorry !

Last edited:
This Thread has been tidied up please stay on topic -TITLES OF THE BELGIAN ROYAL FAMILY

Last edited:
The following is an old post, but as I am not sure I ever answered the question:

So, Amedeo and Maria Laura were ALWAYS styled as princes and princesses in Belgium by the court? Even before they were created prince and princess of Belgium? Were they also considered (Imperial and/or Royal) Highnesses?

Yes, yes, and yes. Amedeo was styled as Prince Amedeo in the announcement and registration of his birth and with the predicate Imperial and Royal Highness in the registration (posted earlier in the thread). Once the Royal Decree of 1991 created him a Prince of Belgium, the "Imperial" was dropped, and he was styled exclusively as HRH (see for example the announcements and royal decree on the occasion of his marriage).

(In case anyone should reread that old discussion: The Belgian legal definition of "descendant", which includes male and female lines, can be found here: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...elgian-royal-family-38975-16.html#post2088691)

(Moving this post on Princess Elisabeth's title from another thread.)

The official website and official statements use the style HRH Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant. This is the official styling used by the Royal Court.

Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant | The Belgian Monarchy

Hare Koninklijke Hoogheid Prinses Elisabeth, Hertogin van Brabant, viert haar 18e verjaardag | De Belgische Monarchie

However, it is a traditional Belgian and Dutch practice for the public to unofficially refer to the heir(ess) to the throne as Crown Prince(ss). Philippe was called Crown Prince Philippe in the Belgian media and Willem-Alexander was called Crown Prince Willem-Alexander in the Dutch media when they were the heirs to their respective thrones.

The term "Crown Prince or Crown Princess" was even used in the Royal Decree of November 12, 2015, referring to the position of heir to the throne.

Moniteur Belge - Belgisch Staatsblad

Based on what I see, this unofficial style normally is not used to refer to the spouse of the heir(ess). The media normally referred to Crown Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde (rather than Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde), and after Princess Elisabeth marries, my expectation is that the couple will be called Crown Princess Elisabeth and Prince X in the press, rather than Crown Princess Elisabeth and Crown Prince X.

Last edited:
A new thread has been opened for this discussion. You can find it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom