Princess Delphine & Family, News & Events 1; 2020 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On french RTL at 19 h 40 also.
Delphine et son histoire in 150 minutes. producted by Warner Bros.

Don' t believe the Daily Mail as my belgian newspaper saw only part of it and did an interview of Chris Michel, the film maker who contacted himself Warner Bros.

[...]

Not clear on what it is you don't believe. As mentioned in the post, and in the Mail's article, the Daily Mail quotes the Times, and the Times does say it is quoting the VTM documentary, but the Times is not claiming to have viewed the entire documentary. I assume it viewed the same preview as your Belgian newspaper. If there are inaccuracies in the translation, I suppose that will be clarified by the French- or Dutch-language press reports.

Delphine needed answers after being branded a 'high financial risk' by the banks - leaving her unable to open accounts for her children Josephine and Oscar, who she gave birth to in 2003 and 2008 respectively with her partner and US businessman Jim O'Hare.

She explained: 'My life and that of my children had become unnecessarily difficult and at one point it became unbearable.

'When I wanted to open a bank account for my children, it was a problem. I saw that my son Oscar was referred to as PEP: a "politically exposed person" who had been blacklisted.'

Her children have since been made an official royals [...]

Looking at the international standards issued by the Financial Action Task Force, an independent inter-governmental organization which describes its recommendations as "recognised as the global anti-money laundering (AML) and counter-terrorist financing (CFT) standard", I cannot see how having Joséphine and Oscar made official royals by the judicial courts removes them from the "politically exposed person" list. To the contrary, official recognition as royals would seem to cement their status as "politically exposed persons":

Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs)

Foreign PEPs are individuals who are or have been entrusted with prominent public functions by a foreign country, for example Heads of State or of government, senior politicians, senior government, judicial or military officials, senior executives of state owned corporations, important political party officials.

Domestic PEPs are individuals who are or have been entrusted domestically with prominent public functions, for example Heads of State or of government, senior politicians, senior government, judicial or military officials, senior executives of state owned corporations, important political party officials.

Persons who are or have been entrusted with a prominent function by an international organisation refers to members of senior management, i.e. directors, deputy directors and members of the board or equivalent functions.

The definition of PEPs is not intended to cover middle ranking or more junior individuals in the foregoing categories.

http://www.fatf-gafi.org/media/fatf/documents/recommendations/pdfs/FATF Recommendations 2012.pdf

That also makes it seem like it refers to Albert, but is probably meant to refer to Jacques Böel? (I can't imagine she was instructed to call Albert "daddy".)

Also his comments to her in 2013.....what a nice father-person. (/sarc)

Previously I said I was done with her, but since this is about her battle and happened before Dancing, I want to chime in.

That statement indeed refers to Jacques Boël. Also, post-divorce she was to be with him on the weekends, which she didn't want, but her mother pushed her - saying "it's the law of divorce. You must go." And when at Jacques Boël's residence, she was left with the staff.
It is in this article - https://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20220110_97899082. It is behind a paywall, but I have read it with an account (which gives 5 paywall articles for free monthly).

Last edited:
That also makes it seem like it refers to Albert, but is probably meant to refer to Jacques Böel? (I can't imagine she was instructed to call Albert "daddy".)

Also his comments to her in 2013.....what a nice father-person. (/sarc)

I have just finished the first part of the documentary she says that she called Albert 'Papillon'.

The documentary can be watched on the website of the VRT. It is in English, though the voice over is in Dutch:
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnu/a-z/delphine/1/delphine-a1/

It can be seen with a (free) account.

Last edited:
"Butterfly" is rather more appropriate for Albert than I'm sure Delphine realized.

He did tend to flit in and out exactly as he wanted. (I bet Sybille realized it.)

Delphine wanted to speak english which is an international language and not the belgians langages. I saw the whole part , Well done Delphine it will be the first and the last time.
The Royal Palace saw it before .

That statement indeed refers to Jacques Boël. Also, post-divorce she was to be with him on the weekends, which she didn't want, but her mother pushed her - saying "it's the law of divorce. You must go." And when at Jacques Boël's residence, she was left with the staff.
It is in this article - https://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20220110_97899082. It is behind a paywall, but I have read it with an account (which gives 5 paywall articles for free monthly).

Thank you, Skippy, that is interesting.

I hope that in due course there can be a reconciliation between Delphine and Jacques Boël. Unlikely as it may seem, a reconciliation between Delphine and King Albert appeared even more implausible up until it occurred. (And however absent and emotionally distant he may have been, Jacques, unlike Albert (apparently), never outright denied that Delphine was his daughter.)

Yes, but unlike Albert, who at least played the "positive older male" role part-time and showed her affection for a period, Boël seemingly never did and was unable to accept Delphine in more than a legal sense. And Delphine then very publicly repudiated him out of necessity.

As has been said, if she felt he was any kind of a father to her (unlike Albert, whom she's openly admitted loving) she likely wouldn't have pursued Albert. Not sure there's much to reconcile there.

It will be frankly interesting if she attends his funeral.

Last edited:
As the documentary shows there is nothing to be reconciled neither is there a reason why it should be. The bond between the two was next to nil and has now ceased to exist. When she or her mother speak about Jacques Boël the tone of voice changes to absolute bitterness, as if it is the devil in person.

--

In Albert's case: by the end of the documentary Delphine says that she is trying to establish relationships with family members, which she wants to do in private & will not comment upon. She even mentioned it was a happy ending -more than she ever hoped for- and seem to have moved on from blaming King Albert II to blaming bad advisors.

Last edited:
Delphine wanted to speak english which is an international language and not the belgians langages. I saw the whole part , Well done Delphine it will be the first and the last time.
The Royal Palace saw it before .

Well, French wouldn't have gone over well on the Flemish network and she can't speak Dutch. :whistling: English seems to be the logical and sensible solution. The Palace also had people participating, did they not?

I tried to make a "free account" but they want all sorts of information from you, including, seemingly, to be in Belgium. Guess this English-speaker won't be watching.

Edit: To put this another way, Albert was pretty irresponsible and then finally a cruel jackass for a couple of decades, while trying to avoid responsibility. But it seems like Jacques Boël was never very nice at all, to the point where Albert is somehow the lesser of two evils. The world is very strange...

At least she and her mom are seemingly back on good terms with Albert, which is enough for Delphine, I guess. You only need so many parents.

Last edited:
Would love to see this but apparently you have to be in Belgium. It there is a way to see this in the states please let me know.

For those interested I believe I can be of help. You can send me a PM.

I have seen the whole of the program, she is extremely likeable.

How all changed because of the unexpected death of King Baudouin when he was only 63 years old.
When he became King , Albert II said to Delphine , you are not my daughter and and I will never see you again.
And never, never the King or his Lawyers expected the ADN test asked from the Court !
This ADN test showed he was well his Father ! 20 years later after Delphine's Fight.
I was impressed by Jim O'Hare , the father of Delphine 's Children. He was a great support .

As has been said, if she felt he was any kind of a father to her (unlike Albert, whom she's openly admitted loving) she likely wouldn't have pursued Albert.

I agree. Had either Jacques or Albert fully accepted paternal responsibility and acted as a loving and affectionate father figure throughout the course of Delphine's childhood and adult life, I think it is unlikely that she would ever have brought a court case, though there may still have been other difficulties in the relationships.

Yes, but unlike Albert, who at least played the "positive older male" role part-time and showed her affection for a period, Boël seemingly never did and was unable to accept Delphine in more than a legal sense.

Edit: To put this another way, Albert was pretty irresponsible and then finally a cruel jackass for a couple of decades, while trying to avoid responsibility. But it seems like Jacques Boël was never very nice at all, to the point where Albert is somehow the lesser of two evils. The world is very strange...

Yes, it is interesting to compare the two. And of course it is also possible that there were other earlier developments with Albert and/or Jacques which all involved have chosen not to publicly disclose.

As the documentary shows there is nothing to be reconciled neither is there a reason why it should be. The bond between the two was next to nil and has now ceased to exist. When she or her mother speak about Jacques Boël the tone of voice changes to absolute bitterness, as if it is the devil in person.

I commented earlier that a reconciliation does appear very unlikely on its face, but after the reconciliation of Delphine and Albert following years of not only mutual bitterness but public recrimination and a vigorous legal battle, there is little that seems impossible to me anymore, although I understand why others see it differently.

and seem to have moved on from blaming King Albert II to blaming bad advisors.

I wonder how true that is, but for the sake of their relationship it is probably healthier to blame bad advisors.

For those interested I believe I can be of help. You can send me a PM.

I am still interested in seeing this, but I guess I will wait for either you or for someone else to have a different idea. :flowers:

I am still interested in seeing this, but I guess I will wait for either you or for someone else to have a different idea. :flowers:

Did you not receive my PM? I have now sent two.

Last edited:
The contentious words in Article 2 are as follows.

les Princes et les Princesses, enfants et petits-enfants, issus de la descendance directe de Sa Majesté le Roi Albert II portent le titre de Prince ou de Princesse de Belgique

Translated literally into English:

the Princes and the Princesses, children and grandchildren, in direct descent from His Majesty King Albert II carry the title of Prince or of Princess of Belgium

To illustrate my meaning, replace these terms:

Replace "the Princes and the Princesses" with "Philippe and Astrid".
Replace "children and grandchildren" with "children".
Replace "carry the title of Prince or of Princess of Belgium" with "receive €1".

The wording that results ought to be

Philippe and Astrid, children in direct descent from His Majesty King Albert II receive €1

Following from the earlier discussions here, two possible interpretations suggested by that wording could be

- All of Albert's children qualify to be Philippe and Astrid (and to receive €1). Laurent and Delphine receive the new names Philippe and Astrid, and they become €1 wealthier.​

- The decree is meant to apply only to children of Albert who are already named Philippe or Astrid. Laurent and Delphine keep the same names but miss out on the €1.​

The first one strikes me as more reasonable. But again, I realize it may sound different in French than in the translation, and I would like to hear from various fluent speakers of French.

I meant to say that the second reading strikes me as more reasonable. (This post is only meant to correct my earlier comment. The discussion was moved to and continued in the Belgian royal titles thread.)

This is Delphine 's thread.
A Princess of Belgium has nothing to do with "Dancing with the Stars".

I have started watching the program, thanks to Skippy's kindness... and fair warning: the first episode, at least, is sad. Painfully sad. I'm only about two-thirds of the way through it, and it's just so... sad.

We're so familiar with the story, I wasn't expecting the raw details to be this grim. Delphine is very much a survivor.

I did find it raised a few questions about Sybille, though:

-She had nine miscarriages with Boël. My god, that's more than Fabiola. :sad: I really wonder what the trick of science was with Albert, or if Delphine is truly a miracle.

-She also says she initially wasn't in love with Albert when they met in Greece (thought he was a very nice person but wished he would go home so she wouldn't be responsible for him) and didn't return his feelings when he confessed them, but she doesn't exactly say why she changed her mind, just that she danced with him at a party in Belgium all night, Paola basically smacked him (sad, but funny), and that was it.

-I guess the third one would be why she felt able to marry Boël in the first place, if it went so badly so quickly. But Sybille seems like she has her own deep troubled streak.

-Oh, and fwiw both stories about not marrying Albert are true. She couldn't live with herself as the "bad woman" who would never be allowed to see his kids, and she didn't want to destabilize or be responsible for destabilizing the monarchy, and from an entirely pragmatic perspective, she's probably correct. She also seems 100% at peace with the decision.

Last edited:
RIP messire Jacques Boël. A man whom still knew the meaning of discretion.

Discretion often also covers up a lot of misery which can eat away at people. It is not always good. We'll differ on that.

Anyway, he was no longer Delphine's legal father so they had nothing to do with each other anymore. I doubt she or her mother will miss him.

Discretion often also covers up a lot of misery which can eat away at people. It is not always good. We'll differ on that.

Anyway, he was no longer Delphine's legal father so they had nothing to do with each other anymore. I doubt she or her mother will miss him.

I dont like to diss the man when he has just died but he seems to have been pretty indifferent to Delphine.

He was Great Worker and member of one of the most illustrious Belgian Families,
He liked hunting, la Bretagne and Modern Art. His table was open for friends of all Generations with good meat and great wines.

He knew what discretion was !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom