Princess Delphine & Family, News & Events 1; 2020 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sybille was ungracious and insulting about Philippe, yes, but Albert was hardly any nicer (and in quantity a lot crueler) about Delphine.

The relations between Philippe and his father are reported to be considerably cooler than the relations between Delphine and her mother. If you would agree (as I would) that Delphine does not bear the responsibility for the words of her mother, then I cannot see a reason why Philippe ought to be considered to bear the responsibility for the words of his father.

I have never said that Philippe was unkind to her, but his forced and studied silence didn't give the opposite impression, either. I also said no one knew how King Phil felt and simply hoped some gesture of reconciliation would eventually come. That the kids have decided to be more adult than the adults — and they've decided to make it public — is lovely. :flowers:

I see, thank you for clarifying. :flowers:

But the same line of thought can be applied to Delphine.

Last edited:
The Facebook page of the Royal Family has announced that the King has met his sister, Princess Delphine, with this words and a picture of the two.

"Joint communication of the King and Princess Delphine:
On Friday 9 October, we met each other for the first time at the Castle of Laken. It was a warm encounter. This long and rich discussion gave us the opportunity to learn to know each other. We talked about our respective lives and areas of shared interest. This bond will further develop within the family setting.
Philippe & Delphine"

Facebook Monarchie

I must say I am impressed with what Philippe has done. He is proving himself to be a better person than their father ever was.
Well done by the King. I'm impressed with how he handles this!

The relations between Philippe and his father are reported to be considerably cooler than the relations between Delphine and her mother. If you would agree (as I would) that Delphine does not bear the responsibility for the words of her mother, then I cannot see a reason why Philippe ought to be considered to bear the responsibility for the words of his father.

It's not about parental responsibility, or Delphine and Philippe clearly would not have wanted anything to do with each other. However, I strongly suspect Sybille only said what she did due to frustration with Albert's cruel behavior (and an urge to hurt Albert and possibly Paola) so again, I think everything, unsurprisingly, is just Albert's fault.

I see, thank you for clarifying. :flowers:

But the same line of thought can be applied to Delphine.

The onus of reaching out was on the palace, always has been. Not Delphine. Hence the excitement. Yes, Delphine could have invited him for coffee at her place, Philippe could have gone, the media could have said something, people would have gotten excited... but the invitation to Laeken is legitimizing.

Philippe is the one in power. He's the one who needed to make feelings clear. And he did. Yay! ?

In the official communication (on Monarchie.be), she is called HRH Princess Delphine, so she is addressed with her new title, which is another sign of acceptance of her new status as Princess.

N.B. Not sure why she is 'The' Princess Delphine in the title of this topic and not just 'Princess Delphine'. I've never heard of the use of 'The' in front of prince(ss) in the Belgian context - other than for the head of a family such as 'The Prince of Ligne' (and surely not in combination with someone's first name).

Stillwaters run deep. I have always maintained Philippe is neither stupid nor dull, just a good, self-effacing and thoughtful man -- a commodity that is regrettably in short supply among world leaders.

100% agree and he's like 10 times the man his father has ever been, gestures like these only show it.

Grand gesture from the King, he's showing the right thing can be done, no matter how long it has been.

It's not about parental responsibility, or Delphine and Philippe clearly would not have wanted anything to do with each other. However, I strongly suspect Sybille only said what she did due to frustration with Albert's cruel behavior (and an urge to hurt Albert and possibly Paola) so again, I think everything, unsurprisingly, is just Albert's fault.

If that was indeed Baroness Sybille's train of thought, then I would reiterate that Albert's fault is not his son's fault, and that he is entirely responsible for his own actions but not for hers.

The onus of reaching out was on the palace, always has been. [...]

Certainly, but we were not discussing outreach or visiting, but only niceness or kindness. :flowers:

In the official communication (on Monarchie.be), she is called HRH Princess Delphine, so she is addressed with her new title, which is another sign of acceptance of her new status as Princess.

Hopefully the same policy will apply from now on to other members of the family.

Certainly, but we were not discussing outreach or visiting, but only niceness or kindness.

Less than two weeks ago people were interpreting Philippe's issued statement of silence as a sign of rejection or displeasure with Delphine. I genuinely can't see how Delphine could have been nicer to him at that point (perhaps can you can give me an example ?), or what difference it would have made, since the Palace still would have been seen as unwelcoming of any overtures.

Power differentials DO make a difference, even with "niceness".

She is legally HRH Princess Delphine, so I would expect the palace to address her correctly.

:previous: What a surprise! Congratulations to King Philippe and Princess Delphine on the first steps to normalizing this long standing family ordeal. It appears that King Philippe truly is "the adult in the room" and the hero in this story.

Less than two weeks ago people were interpreting Philippe's issued statement of silence as a sign of rejection or displeasure with Delphine.

That was the point I was trying to make in my last response: I see no reason to interpret King Philippe's silence regarding Delphine during the lawsuit as a sign of unkindness, especially if her silence regarding him is not interpreted in the same manner.

I genuinely can't see how Delphine could have been nicer to him at that point (perhaps can you can give me an example ?), or what difference it would have made, since the Palace still would have been seen as unwelcoming of any overtures.

The question would be how he could have been nicer to her at that point, since the point on which we differ is whether those suspecting unkindness in Philippe were justified.

We belgians have a Great King.
As Head of State He could do nothing during the Affaire was still at the Court. Since the Court Decision Delphine is Princess of Belgium , He acts as A Brother. Well done.They both signed Philippe et Delphine. (same smile )
I think at Belvedère Castle they must be devasted . Philippe did what Alert II did not !!

Less than two weeks ago people were interpreting Philippe's issued statement of silence as a sign of rejection or displeasure with Delphine. I genuinely can't see how Delphine could have been nicer to him at that point (perhaps can you can give me an example ?), or what difference it would have made, since the Palace still would have been seen as unwelcoming of any overtures.

She is legally HRH Princess Delphine, so I would expect the palace to address her correctly.

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20...29BEB60A65E8267B75F54A660B0352473C48D85926EA3

Here it is explained that Philippe (wisely) decided to keep away from the whole issue until a veredict was finally reached, he didn't want to be seen as someone who was trying to influence the courts either way, now that the legalities are out of the way, he could reach out to Delphine and do what his father has been unable to, be the King, head of house and brother she deserves.

That was the point I was trying to make in my last response: I see no reason to interpret King Philippe's silence regarding Delphine during the lawsuit as a sign of unkindness, especially if her silence regarding him is not interpreted in the same manner.

The question would be how he could have been nicer to her at that point, since the point on which we differ is whether those suspecting unkindness in Philippe were justified.

I don't think he could have been nicer to her at that point, necessarily, and I did say it was wiser for him to just say nothing. But many people did say "it speaks volumes".

I don't think I've ever said "Philippe should have been nicer to her"; it's always been expressed in present or future tense: "I hope Philippe [and Mathilde] will be nice to her [eventually]" aka "please be nice to your sister". How nice that it seems to have come to pass. :heartflower:
King Philippe is likely a kind person because he's known enough unkindness. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way, so his conduct is highly laudable.

Wonder how Albert is doing today? :cool:

Wim Dehandschutter called Laurent and he said "Delphine knows she can count on me"

Sorry, I laughed. Okay, Laurent. She can count on you because you despise your dad, or she can count on you until the wind changes and she can't anymore, or until you say something majorly embarrassing... :whistling: Alright, alright, I'll chalk it up to good intentions. Nice seeming sentiment. For now.

No one is bothering to see if hell has frozen over in Austria, I'm guessing.

So no only is this “Princess” illegitimate but even the fruits of her loin are illegitimate as well?

King Philippe is a big man. I mean that literally and figuratively.

The Belgians are very lucky to have him.

So no only is this “Princess” illegitimate but even the fruits of her loin are illegitimate as well?

What does that mean??? People are not responsible for being "illegitimate" nad the law does not recognise this concept...

Sorry, I laughed. Okay, Laurent. She can count on you because you despise your dad, or she can count on you until the wind changes and she can't anymore, or until you say something majorly embarrassing... :whistling: Alright, alright, I'll chalk it up to good intentions. Nice seeming sentiment. For now.

No one is bothering to see if hell has frozen over in Austria, I'm guessing.
Laurent and Claire has been friendly with Dèlphine and James for years. There are pictures of them chatting in public in 2008 and it was said at the time that Laurent and Dèlphine had been meeting every now and then for quite some time.

Laurent and Claire has been friendly with Dèlphine and James for years. There are pictures of them chatting in public in 2008 and it was said at the time that Laurent and Dèlphine had been meeting every now and then for quite some time.

Hasn't it also been recorded Laurent said to her at least once in public "Stop saying you're my sister?" I have no doubt Laurent meant well here; he's just not always the person you want to count on.

Using illegal or illegitimate as labels for a human being brings to mind another “i” word: ignorant.

The only comparable situation to Delphine would be... Charlotte of Monaco? With the major differences that Charlotte was fully legitimized and put into the succession.

Has anything else like this happened in the last two hundred years? Other than Carlos Klynstra.

I don't think he could have been nicer to her at that point, necessarily, and I did say it was wiser for him to just say nothing. But many people did say "it speaks volumes".

With respect, I wonder if you perhaps have in mind comments which in fact were referencing his opinion of the legal ruling on titles rather than his kindness or unkindness towards his half-sister.

I don't think I've ever said "Philippe should have been nicer to her"; it's always been expressed in present or future tense: "I hope Philippe [and Mathilde] will be nice to her [eventually]" aka "please be nice to your sister". How nice that it seems to have come to pass. :heartflower:

It was not my intention to focus on your comments, and I apologize if I did. But as a general matter, I am not sure why there has been such a degree of scrutiny of King Philippe over hypothetical unkindness when he is neither at fault nor one of the parties involved in this situation.

Using illegal or illegitimate as labels for a human being brings to mind another “i” word: ignorant.

Unlike legal/illegal, legitimate/illegitimate remain the widely used terms on this and other royalty discussion forums for those legal statuses.

The official English translation of the Belgian Constitution also continues to use the term legitimate, as have Delphine's lawyers.
https://www.lachambre.be/kvvcr/pdf_sections/publications/constitution/GrondwetUK.pdf

Has anything else like this happened in the last two hundred years? Other than Carlos Klynstra.

The answer would perhaps depend on what you have in mind by "like this". :flowers:

What does that mean??? People are not responsible for being "illegitimate" nad the law does not recognise this concept...

The concept continues to exist in nobiliary law (see FAQ 8).

Last edited:
Hasn't it also been recorded Laurent said to her at least once in public "Stop saying you're my sister?" I have no doubt Laurent meant well here; he's just not always the person you want to count on.

He supposedly said that once in the early 2000s. Afterwards he altered his stance. Maybe to spite his parents, maybe because of genuine feelings. Laurent is (was?) a troubled man, as his sad hospitalization of a few years ago showed. If anything he deserves compassion.

-------

Although it was clear that a meeting would be a clever PR move, esp. as pressure to do so would be mounting while public opinion seems to be completely on the side of Delphine- I am surprised that it happened so soon and even more surprised that a picture & mutual statement were released.

As was noted in the last episode of the recent VRT documentary: the king is full of surprises and he is doing his job extremely well. The relationship with his parents is thought to be very bad , esp. after Albert's request for money and Paola's public letter about Laurent.

It is not likely that this meeting will improve the relationship of father and son. And there is little love lost between the two queens too, in the documentary it was said that a courtier advised that it was better NOT to raise the name of Queen Paola in the presence of Mathilde. I wonder how Pss Astrid will navigate this issue, as her loyalty is probably more on the side of her parents.

Anyway... the King succeeded in distancing himself yet again from his father's mess ánd in the process perhaps a sort of relationship may be able to develop between him and his half-sister. The press seems to agree completely that this is the correct move, both from a personal point-of view as well as for the sake of the monarchy.

Last edited:

"A monarchy remains an outdated form of government, but Filip has already surprised many and rises significantly above his father with this beautiful gesture."

Wow, go King Filip!

(There's something slightly horrible that we're all so happy about someone finally displaying kind and decent behavior, isn't it? :)

Philippe's move was smart for practical reasons, as well as personal ones. Developing a relationship with Delphine could help avoid surprises for the royal house in the future, if, say, she decides to write a book or something.

He supposedly said that once in the early 2000s. Afterwards he altered his stance. Maybe to spite his parents, maybe because of genuine feelings. Laurent is (was?) a troubled man, as his sad hospitalization of a few years ago showed. If anything he deserves compassion.

-------

Although it was clear that a meeting would be a clever PR move, esp. as pressure to do so would be mounting while public opinion seems to be completely on the side of Delphine- I am surprised that it happened so soon and even more surprised that a picture & mutual statement were released.

As was noted in the last episode of the recent VRT documentary: the king is full of surprises and he is doing his job extremely well. The relationship with his parents is thought to be very bad , esp. after Albert's request for money and Paola's public letter about Laurent.

It is not likely that this meeting will improve the relationship of father and son. And there is little love lost between the two queens too, in the documentary it was said that a courtier advised that it was better NOT to raise the name of Queen Paola in the presence of Mathilde. I wonder how Pss Astrid will navigate this issue, as her loyalty is probably more on the side of her parents.

Anyway... the King succeeded in distancing himself yet again from his father's mess ánd in the process perhaps a sort of relationship may be able to develop between him and his half-sister. The press seems to agree completely that this is the correct move, both from a personal point-of view as well as for the sake of the monarchy.

I think it all comes down to the fact that Philippe is a much better man in every sense than his father has ever been, so he's a better husband, a better father, a better King.

His choice of wife defines him to a T, someone who can be warm and charming yet doesn't mind fighting back if she feels her family/house are threatened. A true partner for him, someone he can believe in without question.

:previous: Yes. Delphine and/or her children could create problems for his Heir. Philippe is indeed being smart and thinking strategically to defuse the situation created by his self absorbed parents....and neutralizing Delphine in the process.

I am a little confused by the lack of compatibility between Mathilde and Paola. Other than the intense closeness between Mathilde and Fabiola, and Mathilde's obvious preference for her..are there other reasons?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom