State Visit from Switzerland to Belgium: November 23-25, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally! Hopefully will have tiara appearances!!

Looking forward to this State Visit and yes hopefully we will have a Tiara Gala!

If there will be a proper State Banquet as usual i expect the bandeau from the Nine Provinces tiara on Queen Mathilde

If there will be a proper State Banquet as usual i expect the bandeau from the Nine Provinces tiara on Queen Mathilde

Lets hope there's a no business suits dress code ;)

Does the state visit start on November 23 or the day after (i.e., the 24th) ?

Yes I was thinking the same and assumed it had already started?

That's very unusual for a State Visit!

Specially when the gust cokes from a country not far away and does not have a long travel. But the article confirms that there will be a State Banquet.

Maybe its an Official Visit as opposed to a State Visit?

If its a 'State Visit' I don't hold out much hope for a tiara event :whistling:

Maybe its an Official Visit as opposed to a State Visit?

If its a 'State Visit' I don't hold out much hope for a tiara event :whistling:

Incoming state visits to Belgium are normally white tie with tiara events, even when the guest head of state is a president. There was a recent exception on the Austrian state visit, if I recall it correcty, but that was during Covid, which probably explains it.

Last edited:
....That's a calendar on the initial tweet. I thought it was a chocolate bar. :lol:

I think that the reason to the President Cassis being received by the royal couple tomorrow is the following: tonight the Belgian Red Devils are facing Canada at Group F of the FIFA World Cup in Qatar. So far Belgium is winning by 1:0.

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde welcome President Ignazio Cassis and First Lady Paola Rodoni Cassis in a welcome ceremony in front of the Royal Palace in Brussels.

I understand Mr Cassis first/home language is Italian, but, as usual for Swiss federal politicians, he must be fluent both in German and French, having previously studied at the German-speaking University of Zurich and the French-speaking University of Lausanne. I assume he and the King would talk in French (no need for English as lingua franca in this case).

Is it known what the president did yesterday if that was the day the visit started? I have not seen anything on the president's social media about him being in Belgium yesterday.

Finally a tiara event!!

The President did not receive the Leopold Order ?

Art. 12 of the old Swiss constitution of 1848 prohibited Swiss citizens from accepting honors and titles. I guess it was a form of radical republicanism. The current constitution doesn't explicitly ban titles or honors, but the prohibition, I think, is still enforced by statute (i.e., ordinary law). Accordingly, Switzerland is one of the few countries that do not have a civilian honors system.

The US constitution has a similar provision, but it applies only to people who hold a federal public office, rather than all citizens as in Switzerland

Changing subjects, did Princess Astrid attend too?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom