Royal Family of Belgium - Current Events Part 9 (Jan 2019 - present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't he have enrolled in some STEM program? I always think that's what he would like to pursue. But of course he can have both, having a STEM career in military.

Philippe and Mathilde are carefully picking some engagements that their kids are interested, archaeology for Elisabeth and science for Gabriel. Wise approach.

It is not that unlikely for him to pursue a STEM career in military, following his father footsteps in the Air Force for instance.

I agree with everyone saying it is lovely to see Gabriel having is own first trip with his father after Elisabeth's trip with Mathilde. It is also a hint IMO that the children who are not going to receive a dotation from the government will still be involved in some official duty, supporting the King (and the future Queen) in a way or another.

Bot, the launcher (Ariane 5 ECA) and the payload (JUICE, a mission to three of Jupiter's Galilean moons) are ESA, and Belgium is an ESA member state. Guiana Space Center might be in French Guiana, but it belongs to Arianespace and thus, in part, to Belgium.

best wishes Michiru

Thanks. Not all members might have known the above. I, however, am well aware that French Guiana is part of France, and therefore part of Europe, and that because FG is close the equator ESA decided to have its base there - as I visited the space center (watched a launch) and live in one of FG's two neighboring countries (and will most likely visit FG next month again). However, there are several launches a year and normally the Belgian king and his son do NOT attend the launch, so I wondered what is so specific about this launch for them to attend this time and none of the others.

Last edited:
Now that Gabriel went on an official visit with the King, maybe he will participate in the SV from the Netherlands in June.

However, there are several launches a year and normally the Belgian king and his son do NOT attend the launch, so I wondered what is so specific about this launch for them to attend this time and none of the others.
Most other launches are commercial satellites, so maybe they waited until the payload was an actual ESA mission instead of a purely commercial launch?! Also, Ariane 5 is in the process of being phased out, to be replaced by Ariane 6, soon (maiden flight expected this year). So, this was one of the last opportunities to see that particular rocket launch.

best wishes Michiru

Now that Gabriel went on an official visit with the King, maybe he will participate in the SV from the Netherlands in June.

Probably not, especially when we are not even sure will Elisabeth attend.

Most other launches are commercial satellites, so maybe they waited until the payload was an actual ESA mission instead of a purely commercial launch?! Also, Ariane 5 is in the process of being phased out, to be replaced by Ariane 6, soon (maiden flight expected this year). So, this was one of the last opportunities to see that particular rocket launch.

best wishes Michiru

Thanks for the information. I think the BRF has considered thoroughly what's suitable to attend and what's not, there must be some sensible reasonings.

Last edited:
Am I misremembering (which is very possible), or has Prince Gabriël accompanied his father on more events than his two younger siblings have?

Beautiful photos of The King and his big boy.

Am I misremembering (which is very possible), or has Prince Gabriël accompanied his father on more events than his two younger siblings have?

This is the Prince's first official trip abroad. He had previously accompanied his father to the Melsbroek Air Force Base to view a A400M airbus. So, yep, more than his two younger siblings. IIRC.

I think it's just genius to have Princess Elisabeth and Prince Gabriël attend events they're passionate about. I can see how Prince Emmanuel, who comes of age in October, and Princess Eléonore, being the artsy kids that they are, will be involved in cultural events. I can see them devoting precious time to the Queen Elisabeth Competition, for example.
The future is bright for this family.

Last edited:

This is the Prince's first official trip abroad. He had previously accompanied his father to the Melsbroek Air Force Base to view a A400M airbus. So, yep, more than his two younger siblings.

Thank you. I have no issue with royals who do not receive a dotation and have private careers carrying out representation duties for the monarchy on a part-time basis, provided they keep the accompanying restrictions in mind (I think Prince Lorenz handled it successfully), but if King Philippe is indeed following the Swedish pattern of singling out the oldest son for special treatment (compared to the king's other younger children) even after the constitution has made the firstborn daughter the heiress to the throne, then that is regrettable.

Last edited:
Prince Emmanuel and Princes Eléonore have attended several events with both parents since a very young age. It's very obvious for those of us who follow the family that King Filip and Queen Mathilde love all their children. Emmanuel and Eléonore seem to be very shy, it may as well be their decision to not go on solo trips with the King or Queen, yet.

Thank you. I have no issue with royals who do not receive a dotation and have private careers carrying out representation duties for the monarchy on a part-time basis, provided they keep the accompanying restrictions in mind (I think Prince Lorenz handled it successfully), but if King Philippe is indeed following the Swedish pattern of singling out the oldest son for special treatment (compared to the king's other younger children) even after the constitution has made the firstborn daughter the heiress to the throne, then that is regrettable.

So far I am not seeing any evidence of Gabriel being singled out. All children have been taken on solo outings over the years and only Gabriel is of age and is now on his first foreign trip (not that long after Elisabeth joined her mother on her first foreign trip). I would not expect them to take underaged teenagers on a foreign trip.

And even if at one point he would be that doesnt necessarily mean he is singled out as eldest son but it could be because he is the spare. Several people seem to be arguing for a different treatment for Isabella of Demark compared to her twin siblings, so this would be along those same lines.

......but if King Philippe is indeed following the Swedish pattern of singling out the oldest son for special treatment (compared to the king's other younger children) even after the constitution has made the firstborn daughter the heiress to the throne, then that is regrettable.

I don't think Gabriel has been singled out in term of doing engagement, when the younger two reach 18 probably will have similar trip with their parents as well.

Even if he does be treated differently than his younger siblings, I think the situation of Belgium and Sweden (or precisely Philippe and CG:whistling:) is different. Unlike Victoria, Elisabeth is always higher than any of her siblings in the succession line (BTW isn't she the first princess whose order of succession wasn't overtaken when a younger brother's born?). Gabriel being treated differently, mostly because he's the spare, rather than because he's the eldest son.

Last edited:
No launch of ESAJuice today because of a risk of lightning. :sad:
King and young Prince have another chance tomorrow morning. They are scheduled to return home tomorrow night for the King's birthday.

Last edited:
Last edited:

I think it is much more about Gabriel being old enough to accompany his father on such trips, rather than a status thing. Philippe and Matilda have expressed nothing but pride in their daughter and her future role. The situation in Sweden is different because the King there has expressed his dissatisfaction at the constitutional changes that meant his daughter took the place he felt his son should have and that he would have preferred it not to happen.

Philippe has never once expressed anything along those lines so if anything as others have said Gabriel is being favoured by being spare (or more likely IMO just because atm he is the only other of their children old enough to take on such visits) not because Philippe wants him to be King one day.

Successful launch this second time around! :w00t: :clap:Tonight they go home for the King's (and Princess Eléonore's) birthday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrBUqM6o8o7/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://instagram.com/stories/belgi...ource=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=
https://instagram.com/stories/belgi...ource=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Prince Gabriel looks so much like his father the king

He's got the nose but he's still the most d'Udekem d'Acoz of the children, followed by Eléonore.
Elisabeth and Emmanuel, on the other hand, are 4000% Coburg. :D

Last edited:
I like the picture where the ESA Director took the King's Hands !

Their Majesties and their four children attended a performance of the Red Star Line musical. :flowers:

The Red Star Line was a shipping company that operated between Antwerp and the New World. Nearly two million Europeans took its lines to settle permanently in America at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrHEvKToyzm/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Prince Emmanuel is officially taller than the King now.

Last edited:
That's rather early: more than two months in advance of his accession to the throne. Will thry have several garden parties over spring and summer?

Last edited:
This is the only Garden Party scheduled that I know of. Most likely it's being held now because July is already packed with other engagements.

That's rather early: more than two months in advance of his accession to the throne. Will thry have several garden parties over spring and summer?

Perhaps they feared that many people they wanted to invite would be on vacation in July?

--
Nice to see Astrid and esp. Laurent there as well. It seems that Pss Delphine did not attend. Prince Laurent was telling some guests about his great-grandmother Queen Elisabeth and the people she received in Laeken.

Back
Top Bottom