Royal Family of Belgium - Current Events Part 8 (July 2013 - Dec 2018)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They could have been in Brussels for our National Day , the 5th years of King Philippe's Reign and the 25th years of King Baudouin death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely to see Queen Paola up and about after her recent ill health.

In Belgium Royal Family is allowed to vote?

Queen Fabiola ho was directly Queen had to vote for the first time when King Baudouin passed away.

So only King Philippe and Queen Mathilde don't vote?
And Amedeo, Joachim and Luisa-Maria? Do they currently live outside Belgium?

Yes . Members of the RF have to inform that they are abroad and not able to vote. Belgian Vote is obligatory.

So only King Philippe and Queen Mathilde don't vote?
And Amedeo, Joachim and Luisa-Maria? Do they currently live outside Belgium?

The king & queen don't vote to stay neutral.

As voting is compulsory in Belgium, the other royals do vote.

Laura, Luisa & Laetitia (too young to vote) are all living in London.
Amedeo lives is Switzerland.
Joachim was living in South Africa last I heard.

I still think they (both in Belgium and Luxembourg) should not only request the king and queen not to vote but also the direct heirs as first they are asked to choose a position (although they could decide to refrain by not checking any candidate) and later on are supposed to be neutral. If an exception is made for the king and even the queen the same should apply to the direct heir.

I still think they (both in Belgium and Luxembourg) should not only request the king and queen not to vote but also the direct heirs as first they are asked to choose a position (although they could decide to refrain by not checking any candidate) and later on are supposed to be neutral. If an exception is made for the king and even the queen the same should apply to the direct heir.

That would probably be ill perceived in Belgium as the rest of us have the duty to vote.

Paola seems to be having some kind of issue in her left arm, maybe a lingering problem from her stroke?

I hope she gets through it, although the fact that they are still in Belgium makes me think she's going through physical therapy or is under medical orders, since she and Albert leave the country as quickly as they can once they are released from the hospital.

The king & queen don't vote to stay neutral.

As voting is compulsory in Belgium, the other royals do vote.

Laura, Luisa & Laetitia (too young to vote) are all living in London.
Amedeo lives is Switzerland.
Joachim was living in South Africa last I heard.

Thank you, when did Luisa move to London?

What is the legislation making an exception for the king and queen?

I concur with Somebody that it seems more essential that the future head of state should appear neutral than the spouse of the head of state.

Luisa moved a couple of weeks ago, after finishing her degree in Canada. She's studying Law at BPP University.

King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz attended a gala concert at the Royal Palace this evening, Noevmber 9, to mark the centenary of the end of the First World War:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Pic 3 , great picture of our Salle du Trône
Who is sitting next to King Philippe and Princess Astrid.

Julie Payette, governor general of Canada.

King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz attended a concert in Brussels today, November 11, marking the 100th anniversary of the First World War:

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
The four of them seem to be core working royals in Belgium of late.

Last edited by a moderator:

Today, December 5, King Albert, King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Prince Laurent attended an academic session on the theme "The fight against human trafficking: assessment and new challenges" organized by the King Baudouin Foundation marking the 25th anniversary of the death of King Baudouin:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
Endly , the 2 Kings to gether. Princess Astrid stayed home.
I am happy to see the King walking without somebody's arm.

King Philippe and Princess Astrid attended a reception marking the 15th anniversary of the Belgian Foreign Trade Agency (BFTA) in Brussels today, December 18:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

Last edited:
Yes Hanelore you are right. But Queen Poala went to a Concert recently and looked well. She could have come to the Royal Palace. But???

True. It least Albert was there, he's aged a lot I think. Looking frail.

Code:
BB has a nice coverage of the family as well:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...rne-den-belgiske-kongefamilie-til-julekoncert

What does the "light of peace" signify?

I had never heard of it either. Apparently it's an Austrian custom since 1986 to spread the light of peace from Bethlehem among people. An Austrian child lights the candle in Bethlehem, the light travels to Vienna and in the 3rd week of Advent it spreads its light to every town in Austria, and recently also to other European localities. In Belgium it were scouting groups who helped to spread the light that symbolizes peace, hope, tolerance and unity.

Thanks, Hannelore. :flowers:

It'll be interesting to see whether it will now become common in Belgium too.

This thread has been closed. You can find the new thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom