Royal Family of Belgium - Current Events Part 8 (July 2013 - Dec 2018)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is true, then I'm disappointed on Claire, I thought she was better than this.

:previous:
The press said that her staying away was a protest that the couple needs to pay tax over their dotation. As they end up with less money, Princess Claire stays home. This however has been denied by the couple but nothing Laurent does surprises us anymore these days of course.

Oh, and if the press says so it must be true... :whistling:
First of all, I´m not a Claire, nor a Laurent "Fan" and I know not much about them as my focus is on other Royals. But what I really hate is when people start getting unfair!
To be honest, I don´t find this particular event very important! I mean, who of us is attending livelong services of remembrance for our dead ancestors (many of them we didn´t even met in our lifetime)?!
This could easily become an empty duty. Isn´t it more important to think of your dead loved ones from time to time in your daily live, visiting their graves now and then?
And those who are remembered here are not even Claire´s blood relatives. There could have been dozends of good reasons why she didn´t attend - may be one of the kids was sick, whatever. Even if she decided to just drop it this year - that´s her business.
What right do we have to judge her, especially when knowing nothing really about her motives?

He insulted before the camera the official Communication man of the Royal Palace.
Very very bad image of our Royals.

King Albert and Queen Paola had to leave the Church from the small back side, pathetic!

Such a pity that Queen Fabiola and Princess Astrid were not there,hope Princess Astrid is feeling better.As for Princess Claire she should have kept her husband at home with her.

I would suggest the King (technically he's the chief of the family) asks his brother to step aside...his behaviour is just a shame for the entire family

I have a small theory that Fabiola is choosing to limit her appearances not just due to age and mobility, but due to the controversy surrounding her last year. I think she doesn't want additional stress on Philippe and Mathilde.

Just doesn't seem right without Fabiola.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that an appearance at a mass commemorating among others, her own husband, would fuel controvercy. Neither do I think that the king and queen would find Fabiola's presence extra stress, they seem to be quite close to her.

Related to the appearances, I'm speaking in generalities. Of course she's very close to Philippe and Mathilde - there's no question of the loving relationship among those, and I think it's lovely. Where I'm going with this is...with three queens and two kings, the Belgians have faced additional grumbling from republicans.

I think we might be seeing this mirrored among other families - the notion of streamlining family appearances. Example: Charles wants to tighten things up to a core group, much to Andrew's chagrin.

King Albert, Queen Paola and Princess Astrid were received for a private audience with Pope Francis at his private library in the Apostolic Palace in Vatican City today, April 26. Royal families and heads of State are arriving in Rome for tomorrow's canonization of popes John Paul II and John XXIII.

** parismatch: Albert de Belgique et Paola reçus par le Pape François **

** gettyimages/Vatican Pool gallery ** belga gallery ** apa/picuredesk **

** rtl.be video: Le pape François a reçu le roi Albert II et la reine Paola **

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: Pope Francis Meets Queen Paola And King Albert II Of Belgium **

:previous:

King Albert and Queen Paola of Belgium attended the canonisation in which John Paul II and John XXIII were declared saints today April 27, 2014. I couldn't spot Astrid yet, but I guess she attended as well as she had been present yesterday :

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** belga gallery ** gettyimages **

it's sweet to think that Albert and Paola actually met at a party held at the Belgian Embassy in Rome for St. John XXIII enthronement back in 1958

Princess Claire and Princess Léa attended a birthday party in honour of British Queen Elizabeth II at the British Residence in Brussels today, April 30. Queen Elizabeth turned 88 on April 21, 2014.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga gallery **

Last edited:
Delightful pictures , but what was behind the smiles ?? and Laurent's non smile !
Claire and King Albert II were close , but Prince Laurent was behind with the Duke and Duchess of Castro and Archduchess Marie Astrid of Austria/luxembourg.

When did Princess Elizabeth and Prince Gabriel celebrate their first ccommunion? I don't remember seeing pictures.

Lovely images of the family, Aymeric and Nicolas seem like sweet boys.

I didn't realize that it was time for Nicolas and Aymeric to have their First Holy Communion. Time flies! They looked smart in their suits and I love Elisabeth and Eleonore's dresses. It's nice to see Albert and Paola linking arms with Claire, it seems they got on well with her today.

Were Queen Matilda or Princess Astrid present,I didn't see them in the above photo's.

I am not a big follower of the Belgian Royals but I know that Laurent was in hospital recently. Having seen these photos of the family arriving I saw Claire was not walking with Laurent and she did not leave with him. Are they together any more?

When did Princess Elizabeth and Prince Gabriel celebrate their first ccommunion? I don't remember seeing pictures.

Lovely images of the family, Aymeric and Nicolas seem like sweet boys.

they received their first communion some time ago. They celebrated it in Ciergnon in the private Castle Chapel. It was a private family affair and it wasn't released any picture.

Were Queen Matilda or Princess Astrid present,I didn't see them in the above photo's.

None of them was present. Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz were in Germany to attend the award ceremony of the International Charlemagne Prize of Aachen 2014 that has this year been given to the (Belgian) President of the European Council Herman Van Rompuy and Queen Mathilde had an engagement for the fight against cancer in Mechelen.

Some more pics from today's celebration can be found here:

** gettyimages ** belga gallery ** apa/picturedesk **

** 7sur7.be: Communion des princes Aymeric et Nicolas **

** dhnet.be: EN IMAGES: Communion des princes Aymeric et Nicolas **

Last edited:
It's the year and season for First Communions! Congratulations to the twins on this milestone.

My Goodness how time flies!! Congratulations to the Twins on this Milestone.

Is there a family connection with the the Duke and Duchess of Castro or are they just close friends with the Belgian RF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom