Religion of the Belgian RF

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandee

Gentry
I was just curious to know the religion of the royal family of belgium, and whatever it is, have they always practiced it, or did they convert, etc ? Thankyou. ;)

Their religion is Roman Catholic.

They are members of the charismatic movement. that's a way of practising Catholic faith.

the charismatic movement prays a lot , and they believe the Lord will answer their prayers.

It's hard to explain, they for example pray in a different position

Actually not the entire royal family is with the charismatic movement: queen Fabiola is, and so are princess Astrid and her husband, also king Albert and queen Paola.

But Philippe, Mathilde, Laurent and Claire are not. Also, quite surprising, king Baudouin was not a member.

I forgot to say, the Belgian royal family has always been catholic, apart from the first king of the Belgians, Leopold I, who was protestant and refused to renounce his faith.

Queen Astrid (born as a princess of Sweden) was also a protestant, but converted to catholicism in the beginning of the 30's.

Originally posted by Cathérine Bergeyck@Oct 11th, 2003 - 2:52 pm
Actually not the entire royal family is with the charismatic movement: queen Fabiola is, and so are princess Astrid and her husband, also king Albert and queen Paola.

But Philippe, Mathilde, Laurent and Claire are not. Also, quite surprising, king Baudouin was not a member.
You could be right about Claire and Laurent , but i've heard that Phillipe and Mathilde are members too although they have never spoken publically , it is known that Philippe is very believing even more so than his uncle Bauduoin was

Don't think so...I'm not sure but I think Opus Dei exepts only members who are INTELLIGENT enough, and u can't call the Belgian royal family 'smart' right? ;)

Originally posted by Baetens@Aug 6th, 2004 - 10:42 am
Don't think so...I'm not sure but I think Opus Dei exepts only members who are INTELLIGENT enough, and u can't call the Belgian royal family 'smart' right? ;)
I think princess Mathilde and prince Laurent, also princess Claire, are intelligent people. But I strong believe that Opus Dei prefer people having money and a high social position. Personnaly, I call Opus Dei a sect (and I'm a Roman Catholic)

Originally posted by Danielane@Aug 7th, 2004 - 12:14 am
But I strong believe that Opus Dei prefer people having money and a high social position. Personnaly, I call Opus Dei a sect (and I'm a Roman Catholic)
They sure are getting some bad press lately! :p

Gee...I understand u find Mathilde and Claire 'smart'. But Laurent???I got the special edition of Point de Vue (the one w/ portraits of royals and their profile) and if u look at it, u'll see that all the other royals got a university degree (or 2) and a nice position in a company while Laurent doesn't do a thing to make a living and hasn't got a university degree.
Prince Johan-Friso (netherlands) for exemple got a beautiful carreer and has 2 university-degrees, got maried to a woman w/ 2 university-degrees!!!

Ciao

Originally posted by Baetens@Aug 7th, 2004 - 1:55 pm
Gee...I understand u find Mathilde and Claire 'smart'. But Laurent???I got the special edition of Point de Vue (the one w/ portraits of royals and their profile) and if u look at it, u'll see that all the other royals got a university degree (or 2) and a nice position in a company while Laurent doesn't do a thing to make a living and hasn't got a university degree.
Prince Johan-Friso (netherlands) for exemple got a beautiful carreer and has 2 university-degrees, got maried to a woman w/ 2 university-degrees!!!

Ciao
The intelligence or "being smart" isn't related to the fact of having an university degree. I can assure you that lot of people who have an university degree aren't smart at all: they know much about ONE subject, but that's all. I think that Laurent's activities with his foundation is a proof that he's not completely idiot.

Does this religion have a web site or something? I know that sounds weird for religions to have web sites like they are businesses, but I would like to learn more about this religion. I am very intrigued from what I have read here.

Also, what were Mathilde, Claire and Paola's religions before marrying into the royal family? Did they convert to this religion?

Originally posted by Genevieve@Aug 7th, 2004 - 2:47 pm
Does this religion have a web site or something? I know that sounds weird for religions to have web sites like they are businesses, but I would like to learn more about this religion. I am very intrigued from what I have read here.

Also, what were Mathilde, Claire and Paola's religions before marrying into the royal family? Did they convert to this religion?
I don't think there's a specific web site, but there are surely plain of "private" site about this practise of religion. It's not a religion, but a different way to practise. I won't say anything more, but let you search, because I would be rather critical about it.

susanstotz said:
but they all do have that wholesome innocent quality, a bit stepfordish,
I think they are all 100% opus dei except Paola, Laurant and Claire.

I'm nearly sure that Astrid and Lorenz are Opus Dei. It would surprise me a lot if Albert was. But I strong believe that Laurent and Claire aren't: the style of their wedding mess was not at all an "Opus Dei" style. And a member of Opus Dei would have spoken of a muslim godfather for a Belgian princess.

lilydale said:
Beautifully put, Danielane! Couldn't agree more. While degrees are all well and good, they are certainly not the true measure of one's intelligence.

You're right! I'm studying in a very brilliant university (la Sorbonne at Paris), and I know a lot of persons who know a lot of things, but are only intelligent "by" or "in" the books.

Cathérine Bergeyck said:

I'd have thought that Queen Fabiola would have had more sense than to get mixed up with the charismatic movement. I'd have put her down as a traditionalist.

Baetens said:

Ciao
Intelligence is not equated by the number of university degree you have...anyhow intelligence comes in many form so its not quite fair to claim Laurent is not as smart as his family members...

I agree with what you say, but I do think that Laurent isn't very bright. He has a kind heart, but it would be better to think before he says something. Sometimes he also makes political statements and that's just not done. He harms the entire RF with such behaviour.

do poeple think its strange that they are a part of charismatic movement

I think Laurant is as intelligent as his brother and his sister but he is a bit high strung, has a nervous personality, while they are very calm.

I thougt Flip had made one or more political statements in the past and I thought that that was considered all right on this website by several members (but I can not remember the subject nor the members, am equally bright as Laurant :) and too lazy to read back)

Hannelore said:
I agree with what you say, but I do think that Laurent isn't very bright. He has a kind heart, but it would be better to think before he says something. Sometimes he also makes political statements and that's just not done. He harms the entire RF with such behaviour.

I am confused by what you term the charismatic movement of this Opus Dei organization. Do they beleiev in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues? I just did a brief search about Opus Dei and it seems a bit confusing. But of course God can answer our prayers. That is our right as Christians. But I am confused by catholicism alot (and it seems alot of catholics are too). Some of it, to me, is not really what is in the Bible. I will see if this Opus Dei stuff is Biblical.

Where here is there "FAQ" page:http://www.opusdei.org/art.php?w=32&s=494

And it says:
Opus Dei is a personal Prelature of the Catholic Church that helps ordinary lay people seek holiness in and through their everyday activities, especially through work.

It was founded in 1928 by a 26-year-old Catholic priest, Josemaria Escriva, who died in 1975, and was canonized by Pope John Paul II on October 6, 2002.

But I have a problem with this. You don't get holiness by just doing activities. That is purely ceremonial stuff that will get you no where spiritually. Beleiving in Him who died and rose again for our sins is a start. We must put our faith and hope in God that He will renew our hearts. Doing activities will not renew the heart. (Romans 2: 17-29; Romans 10; II Corinthians 5:11-21, etc.)

It says here (http://www.opusdei.org/art.php?w=32&p=296):
Opus Dei promotes only the teaching of the Catholic Church. What is specific to Opus Dei is the effort to bring the Gospel to all environments through the sanctification of work. Within Opus Dei there is freedom and pluralism in all the social, political, economic and cultural issues left undefined by the Church.

So I guess maybe there is not alot of differnece?

They aren't members of the charismatic movement, or opus dei.

They are roman catholics.

susan alicia said:
I think Laurant is as intelligent as his brother and his sister but he is a bit high strung, has a nervous personality, while they are very calm.

I thougt Flip had made one or more political statements in the past and I thought that that was considered all right on this website by several members (but I can not remember the subject nor the members, am equally bright as Laurant :) and too lazy to read back)

The remarks Filip made were to protect his country. Wilst Laurent's remarks did damage (well not much but still).

Filip said he wasn't going to allow the VB (extreme right fascist and racist party who want to split up Belgium and send foreigners back to "their" country) to harm his country. He stood up for Belgium and showed the courage a lot of politicians lack.

Laurent answered a question from a VB politician by saying he was going to talk with him because he didn't know their program!!

Hannelore said:
They aren't members of the charismatic movement, or opus dei.

They are roman catholics.

Queen Fabiola has long been a supporter of Opus Dei. It is widely known among the European nobility.

Hannelore said:
Filip said he wasn't going to allow the VB (extreme right fascist and racist party who want to split up Belgium and send foreigners back to "their" country) to harm his country. He stood up for Belgium and showed the courage a lot of politicians lack.

Laurent answered a question from a VB politician by saying he was going to talk with him because he didn't know their program!!

But there are for sure some people in Belgium who agree with VB, so IMO Prince Filipe shouldn't make political declarations.

VB is an openly fascist and racist party, convicted by Belgian court for inciting hate towards people who have a different background than the Flemish one. (after which the VB top declared the Belgian judges who convicted them better watch their step beacuse nasty things may happen to them).Their meetings start with bringing the Hitler salute. I have personnally heard a member of the VB saying that mentally handicapped people should be locked inside and not walk in the streets.

If Philippe was not to stand up against this (and may I remind that his words were "Certain people are trying to destroy my country, I will not allow that") I would be very ashamed.

I tried to google "laurent and vb" and all kinds of variation but can not find anything about it. From what you write I am able to understand his answer, he does not know the particulars because he does not really care about politics ;) (all though he knows that they are bad news) and he hopes that by talking to the person he can influence them positively.

Hannelore said:
The remarks Filip made were to protect his country. Wilst Laurent's remarks did damage (well not much but still).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom