Relationships between the Belgian Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

principessa

Heir Apparent
City
Schweinfurt
Country
Germany
Relationships in the Belgian Royal Family
King Albert II of the Belgians has 3 half-siblings. Are they friendly to each other or are they in struggling?

Last edited by a moderator:
King Albert II has rather cordial relations with his 2 half siblings Esmeralda and Alexandre. Marie-Christine however lives estranged from her Belgian relatives in the USA.

Relationships of the Belgian Royal Women

Have I heard that the most senior Royal Belgium Women do not get along? Seems like I read somewhere that Queen Fabiola doesn't get along with/or like Queen Paola. And Queen Paola doesn't like/or get along with Crown Princess Mathilde. I know we are not supposed to "guess" on these forums. But if it is "common knowledge", or has been published would that be guessing? I think it is sad if these women do not like each other. Can someone help me with this?

Last edited:
I've never heard that they do not get along, when you see them all together they look perfectly fine.

I've also heard about this, it's difficult to know if there is a bad relationship between the two it's true or not but taking into account the personalities of both I would say that it not totally false.:ermm:

Why do Fabiola and Paolo not apparently have a good relationship?

I'm sorry, but I honestly think it's just speculation...
It's like all the royal houses, we heard that too about the Spanish royal house from the Queen, Letizia, Cristina and Elena, etc...
But publicly, there are reasons for thinking that?
I believe, they must be a family like any other. If something happens between them, I think is natural.
Well, I really hope not, because I really like this royal family... :)

As Belgian I may confirm that the relationship between their MM Queen Fabiola and Queen Paola is perfect.
I am sad about this new thread which is only speculation and unrespectiful !

Exactly maria-olivia, as a Belgian I think it too
Only speculations made by press people who want their magazine to sell
Whatever happens in our Royal family (in every family there are misunderstandings sometimes) we can never know !

I haven't ever read any story or rumor about the women in the Belgian Royal Family not getting along. It's too bad that rumors get started like this.:ermm:

There might have been tensions between Fabiola and Paola years ago when they were young women, mostly due to contrasting personalities and vastly different outlooks on life.

But there seems to be nothing but affect and deep respect now.

Thanks for the answers. I didn't mean any disrespect. or to try to start any kind of argument. I will contact the moderator and ask that this thread be closed.

mrsbugman, for what it is worth I don't think your questions are at all disrespectful.

There is a lot more info on the relationships between the Belgian Royal women in the various family threads here...particularly fascinating is the information that deals with the deep antagonism between Princess Marie-Christine and her late mother Liliane, Princess de Rethy...as well as some early tension between Queen Fabiola and her husband's stepmother(again, Princess Liliane)

Thank you moonmaiden23. I have already sent a pm to the moderator. So we will see what will happen.

I am sad about this new thread which is only speculation and unrespectiful !
The subject raised in the opening post of this thread is neither speculative nor disrespectful. The member was asking a question, and a valid one at that. For example, it is no secret that for a period of time the marriage of the then Prince and Princess of Liege was under severe stress.

It is therefore not an unreasonable conclusion to draw that the very conservative, staid and devout Catholic Queen (Fabiola) was none too impressed at the behaviour of her somewhat racy Italian sister-in-law (Paola). They may well have a "perfect" relationship today, but that does not mean it was always so.

TRF is a discussion forum and legitimate topics of discussion are welcomed.
Members' sense of loyalty to their own Reigning Houses is admirable but should not blind them to life's realities.

thanks,

Warren
Administrator

Videozone

Here's a video of Paola talking about her relationshop with Albert (toward the end) and how they had problems but "we were made for each other".

I'd insert into the discussion also their three sisters-in-law, the late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte of Luxembourg, Princess Marie Esmeralda and Lea (Princess Alexandre).
In particular I'm curious to know what are (were, in Josephine-Charlotte's case) the relationships between the three elderly women (JC, Fabiola and Paola) with the youngers (Esmeralda and Lea; I don't care of Marie Christine becasuse it's well known that she has horrible relationships with the whole Royal Family), who given their ages could be their daughters.

The subject raised in the opening post of this thread is neither speculative nor disrespectful. The member was asking a question, and a valid one at that. For example, it is no secret that for a period of time the marriage of the then Prince and Princess of Liege was under severe stress.

It is therefore not an unreasonable conclusion to draw that the very conservative, staid and devout Catholic Queen (Fabiola) was none too impressed at the behaviour of her somewhat racy Italian sister-in-law (Paola). They may well have a "perfect" relationship today, but that does not mean it was always so.

TRF is a discussion forum and legitimate topics of discussion are welcomed.
Members' sense of loyalty to their own Reigning Houses is admirable but should not blind them to life's realities.

thanks,

Warren
Administrator
To top that all off, the then Princess De Liege, easily gave birth to 3 children, whilst Queen Fabiola had one miscarriage after the other...imagine the tension that can cause!

It's true that Queen Fabiola and Paola didn't have much in common with one another years and years ago when both were young marrieds, but have had a warm relationship for many years now.

There were always a lot of rumours of the bad relationship between Paola and Fabiola. How much of it was based on facts and how much based on gossip is unclear. But more respectable magazines than the tabloids have written about it over the years.

I suppose rumours about Paola and Fabiola were likely to start since they both entered the Belgian RF more or less at the same time and while both were so very different. The tragic, catholic queen vs. the party princess.

Anyway, according to the Belgian press it was Paola who forced Fabiola out of Laeken palace quickly after Baudouin's death (a variation on Lilian removing all the furniture from Laeken when Fabiola and Baudouin came back from their honeymoon perhaps?). And I believe the HUMO articles on Fabiola refer to the bad relationship between the two as well. They even claimed that princess Mathilde was told by the court to have less contact with Fabiola and spend more time with her mother-in-law. Of course, these are all rumours and it is very difficult to verify, but the question about their relationship is legitimate indeed and it has been discussed at various times in the press for decades.

Anyway, according to the Belgian press it was Paola who forced Fabiola out of Laeken palace quickly after Baudouin's death
Didn't Fabiola stay in Laeken Palace for 6 years after Baudouin's death (until Philippe and Mathilde's wedding)?

I thought she moved to Stuyvenbergh Castle after Baudouins death? And then reduced her appearances so as not to overshadow Paola?

I think it was Queen Fabiola personal desicion to leave Laken Palace after her husband's death. Since she was no longer the queen consort to the current king, she had to recude her apparences to not overshadow Queen Paola. But my question is... why Fabiola does not allow Paola to wear her tiaras? She doesn't wear them anymore.

One of Fabiola's tiara is the wedding gift from the Spanish government: not sure it would be correct to lend it and to borrow it.

But it's her present, why can't she let someone else wear? It belongs to Fabiola and she could let a homeless person wear it if she wanted.
I do understand what your saying that it was a gift and might have sentimental value, but the majority of tiaras in every royal families were once a gift to someone.

Queen Fabiola moved when she was ready to do, six years after King Baudouin's death.
It is only in Belgium that a sister in law takes the Queen's place. Having no children Fabiola remains Queen Fabiola .
During official events Queen Paola , the actual Queen is on the King's right side and Queen Fabiola on his left side.
Why I was disapointed is that Queen Fabiola has a great admiration and affection for King Albert who succeeded so well as King of the Belgians.
Normally it was Philippe the King after Baudouin. Unfortunaltely he died at 63 years old and Albert and Paola are our unexpected King and Queen.
The most important activity of Fabiola is the Queen Elisabeth's Music competition. During the first competition in 1994 , Fabiola received a standing ovation and she cried.
I never heard about an ACTUAL bad relationship between the 2 Queens. I agree they were before between Queen Fabiola and Paola Princess of Liege.
Let us hope King Albert II will have a long life.. If not we will have 3 Queens!

NO it was not Philippe turn after Baudouin, the constitution is very clear, it was Albert who had to become King... for Philippe becoming King immediately, Albert would have had to resign the function (I hope my English is not too bad here !)

All four people in that picture look incredible sleepy.

The photo appears to be unfortunate. The Belgian Royal family looked bored and tired.

Back
Top Bottom