Question About The New King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liv

Courtier
Country
Germany
Okay,I have to admit that my question is very unrealistic but I just want to know it: :p

Imagine King Albert would give the throne to Philippe in the next ca.2years . Philippe would be king and Mathilde Queen and Elisabeth would be the Crown Princess(ca.4years old)
Now something happen to Philippe(I don´t hope so),so there must be a new King.Mathilde doesn´t have the right to stay Queen then.But the two next in the line to the throne(Elisabeth and Gabriel)are still to young to follow their father.
So is their the possibility that Amedeo would be the next king?He´s 18 years now...

BTW,it sems strange that Philippe didn´t follow Boudouin(I hope it´s right :( ).They thought Phillippe is still to young to become King,but he was over 30years then.I think the real reason was that he was unmarried and they feared that he could chose an unsuitable girl... :p (Now he has Mathilde who is very suitable :p ;) )

What do you think????

Don't forget that when Baudouin died, the first in line to succeed him was his brother Albert. Filip wasn't ready at the time, you don't have to forget it isn't an easy job to be a king, especially of a country like Belgium. It's more than a mere ceremonial role.

Ok, back to your hypothetical story. Suppose "king" Filip would die, then "queen" Mathilde would probably keep her title (like Fabiola now, and queen Elisabeth after the death of Albert I). If Elisabeth would be to young to become queen, I suppose a regent would be appointed, which would be, according to all logic, princess Astrid.

The line of succession is:

1.Filip

2.Elisabeth

3.Gabriel

4.Astrid

5.Amedeo

6.Maria Laura

7.Joachim

8.Luisa Maria

9.Laetitia Maria

10.Laurent

11.Louise

Thanks.
Mathilde would keep her title but she wouldn´t act as a Queen.

In the case that Astrid would follow Phillippe:
Would Astrid remain Queen till Elisabeth is 18years old or would she stay Queen for the rest of her life???When she stays Queen,Would Astrid be followed by Elisabeth or Amedeo?

So it would only be possible for Amedeo to become king, if Prince Filip dies, Princess Astrid dies and Elisabeth isn't 18 yet.

A regent is only appointed for a while, so yes, until Elisabeth turns 18.

The only way Amedeo could become king, is in -the very morbid!- case Filip, Elisabeth, Gabriel and Astrid would be dead (or unable to reign).

Supposing Filip and Astrid would be dead, and Elisabeth wouldn't be 18 yet, then Amedeo would be regent until Elisabeth's 18th birthday.

Mathilde would be appointed as acting regentes.

Just as queen Emma of the Netherlands did when her husband died and Wilhelmina was 8 years. Emma was regentes for 10 years, until Wilhelmina was 18. Then Wilhelmina became queen of the Netherlands.

So, when there happens something with Philip, and Elisabeth is 4,5 or 6 years old (anyway, not 18), Mathilde is appointed as regentes until Elisabeth is 18 years old.

That's the way it will go. Don't forget Mathilde is extremely popular here with us at Belgium (I live in Belgium).

Mathilde could never be appointed to be a regent (no matter how popular she is) because she isn't in the line of succesion.

Remember when Leopold III was in exile (and thus unable to reign), it wasn't queen Elisabeth (who also was very popular) who was appointed regent, but prince Karel, Leopold's brother, who was the next in line of succesion (well actually Boudewijn and Albert were next, but they were also in exile and not 18 yet).

Princess Mathilde fullfils a very important function, but she will never actually reign. Philippe will be the one to reign, and (purely tecnically speaking) Mathilde is just his wife. (Although she of course means a lot more to us!!!! :heart: )

thank you so much for the list of line of succession

Hannelore said:
Mathilde could never be appointed to be a regent (no matter how popular she is) because she isn't in the line of succesion.
:heart: )
Nor was Emma. She was the wife of the Dutch king, just as Mathilde is the wife of the (future) Belgian king.

I'm quite sure Mathilde would be regent when Filip died and elisabeth is to young to be queen. I heard it once from the TV.

I think its also important to note that when one becomes regent they don't take on the title that they are standing in for. So if Phillipe were to die then Elisabeth would become queen, but Astrid (or whoever) would act as regent, without actually becoming Queen, until Elisabeth is 18. Hope that makes sense.

Jelka said:
So it would only be possible for Amedeo to become king, if Prince Filip dies, Princess Astrid dies and Elisabeth isn't 18 yet.
If this happened what would happen when Elisabeth turned 18? would Amedeo have to abdicate?

hillary_nugent said:
If this happened what would happen when Elisabeth turned 18? would Amedeo have to abdicate?
Amedeo would only be regent, not king. Elisabeth would become queen at 18.

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
Amedeo would only be regent, not king. Elisabeth would become queen at 18.
Oh ok ^__^ thanks Cathérine Bergeyck for answering ^__^

I'm just wondering? Why is Laurent so far down in the succession? I know in Belgium they recently passed a law oking female heirs to become regent(?) So my question is since Laurent is Filips brother why isn't he higher in the succesion line. Is he not liked by his family or in Belgium?

ravergirl said:
I'm just wondering? Why is Laurent so far down in the succession? I know in Belgium they recently passed a law oking female heirs to become regent(?) So my question is since Laurent is Filips brother why isn't he higher in the succesion line. Is he not liked by his family or in Belgium?
Laurent is so far down in succession because he's the youngest of the King's children.

In 1991, the salic law (which forbode women to become a reigning queen) was abolished. For various reasons. Because women are just as capable to reign as men, it was a very old fashioned and discriminating law.

And at the time Philippe was'nt married, nor was Laurent. If the law hadn't been altered and neither of them had married (and so had no children), then there would be no-one to succeed them. In this hypothetical case succession would have been: Baudouin-Albert-Philippe-Laurent. And it would end there because neither of them had children.

But Astrid was already married at the time, and had children, and so by changing the law there was no problem anymore. Astrid has precedence on Laurent because she is older.

Because in Belgium female can be Queens, they have rights of succession and Astrid is older than Laurent, then she goes before him in the line of succession. First Filip with his kids; later, Astrid with her sons and finaly Laurent and little Louise. Sorry for my english

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
In 1991, the salic law (which forbode women to become a reigning queen) was abolished. For various reasons. Because women are just as capable to reign as men, it was a very old fashioned and discriminating law.
So does this mean Princess Elizabeth will be the first female to be heir to the Belgium throne?

Thank you Catherine. I thought that was right, but for some reason i was confused about it.

i have agree with that posts!

im not sure about Prince Ameldo would become King NO WAY!

I wanted Prince Phillipe getting become King after his dad and Princess Mathilde will become Queen after Paola and their little girls would be rules to become Crown Princess or will become Queen by reach ages 18 years old i would agree with your posts that fine with me! and no someone will chose to become King and Queen by his siblings nor his niece or nephew because he is heir!

Sara Boyce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom