Queen Paola's 80th Birthday

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maria-olivia

Majesty
City
Brussels
Country
Belgium
Queen Paola 80 th Birthday .
I was at the Chapelle Musicale Reine Elisabeth on the Road. How vulnerable were they only polices before the cars and not behind.
They were different cars, for the first car I waved and had a Man's answer , The second big family car was completely dark , I suppose it was the King's family , another car and I saw very well laurent's twins in the last car.
I suppose Iceflower will provide nice pictures.

Last edited:
I was on the way of the Royal Music Chapel and saw their cars. I only saw Prince Laurent twins because the other car were dark.
Only Polices before their cars and not behind . The Hour of the Event was kept Secret.

And the party for the 80th Birthday begin!! Queen Paola is very elegant!!! And her name up to the big birthday cake!

Belga Image

Some nice pictures. Im sure she enjoyed having the family around

Last edited:
They are welcomed buy the Counts Bernard and Ivan de Launoit.
The birthday cake is from Wittamer who did all their Wedding cakes.

Unbelievable !
The King and the Queen with their 4 Children
Princess Astrid with her 5 Children , daughter in law and grand daughter
Princess Claire with her 3 Children i saw in situ.

I can't see Prince Laurent in any of the photos,perhaps he was having a chat with Madame Maria Olivia ;)

No Happy Birthday Song ?
I guest said : "Laurent n'est pas là , je vais lui envoyer une photo !!"

Royal Family of Belgium - Current Events Part 8 (July 2013 -)

Having heard the stories about the bad family relations, I can't help but notice that Filip and Mathilde's children don't mingle with their cousins and that their parents ignore Astrid, Lorenz, Claire and King Albert.

What a beautiful cake Paola received!

The Queen's Birthday cake looked fantastic,great to see most of the royal family present.

Did you notice cdm the green scarabées on the cake , the same as the Ceiling of Brussel's Royal Palace?
You are right , on the family picture there was room for Astrid and Lorenz next to Queen Mathilde but they went behind !
Did you notice also how difficult King Albert II is walking ?

Having heard the stories about the bad family relations, I can't help but notice that Filip and Mathilde's children don't mingle with their cousins and that their parents ignore Astrid, Lorenz, Claire and King Albert.

What a beautiful cake Paola received!

That's what I have always noticed. Philippe's children looks like strangers among their own family, which is kind of sad. Also, in the past I've seen Mathilde being extremely friendly with Claire (she was even chose to be Eleonore's godmother) and not a word between them.
I know it was a short appearance, but I can't help but thinking that the whole family is against Philippe and especially Mathilde (notice how no one went next to her to take the picture).
They tried so hard, but it was a really bad attempt of looking like a normal family and to be a party, it was really cold.

Maria Laura is missing as well.

It's great to see a lot of family members there to celebrate Paola's upcoming birthday. I wonder why they chose to celebrate in June?
All the children look so grown up - most of them aren't really children anymore! I still remember Elisabeth when she was only a year or two older than Eleonore is now. Now she has blossomed into a pretty, poised young lady. Little Anna Astrid is also adorable, it's nice that she came too.
That cake looks amazing!

:previous: Thank you for confirming that, Lee-Z. That explains it - a nice idea.

It was a day with a lot of trafic and a very difficult hour 6.30 pm.
On my way back home I saw a grey car with police , and it was in fact King Albert II and Queen Paola who did not come at the same time of the King.

Next to the Royal Music Chapel is an important School. It was its last day with delivery of the Students Notes also around 6.30 pm.

Prince Laurent arrived but too late. There is a second group picture where we can see him.

I wonder who is the Lady with its purple dress sittting next to the King ?

But all my best wishes to Queen Paola who was so happy to day.

Royal Family of Belgium - Current Events Part 8 (July 2013 -)

Did you notice cdm the green scarabées on the cake , the same as the Ceiling of Brussel's Royal Palace ?

I hadn't!
It's a true masterpiece.
Bravo, Wittamer!

I wonder who is the Lady with its purple dress sittting next to the King ?

That's Vaira Vike-Freiberga.
[FONT=&quot]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaira_V%C4%AB%C4%B7e-Freiberga

[/FONT] What a difference compared with Queen Fabiola's 80th birthday celebration. :ermm: All she got was a humble chocolate cake and a joint coffee break celebration with K Albert and P Astrid who also celeberate their respective birthdays in June.

That's Vaira Vike-Freiberga.
[FONT=&quot]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaira_V%C4%AB%C4%B7e-Freiberga

[/FONT] What a difference compared with Queen Fabiola's 80th birthday celebration. :ermm: All she got was a humble chocolate cake and a joint coffee break celebration with K Albert and P Astrid who also celeberate their respective birthdays in June.

Maybe Fabiola asked for something low-key? Like in her funeral, where she asked to be put on the ground and not higher above?

And somehow, Fabiola's celebration was far warmer, more like a family gathering rather than this "public" celebration Paola got.

Just my two cents of course.

Maybe Fabiola asked for something low-key? Like in her funeral, where she asked to be put on the ground and not higher above?

And somehow, Fabiola's celebration was far warmer, more like a family gathering rather than this "public" celebration Paola got.

Just my two cents of course.

We are always agreed, dear leidi.

The cake is a masterpiece indeed. Thanks for pointing out the green scarabees on it, maria-olivia. Where was the birthday celebration held? The Belga-caption mentions Waterloo.

I am glad Laurent did turn up eventually. The relationship of the king with his parents and siblings has been strained for a few years now. Their children do not seem close to their grandparents and cousins, while most of them are living on the same estate.

I did not see the Luxembourg family. Princesses Marie-Astrid and Margaretha are often guests at such events.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thank you iceflower.

In the photos we can also see the Archduchess Anna-Gabriella of Austria, widow of Archduke Rudolph.

I believe that the outfit that Queen Paola is wearing used to be an evening gown. She wore the dress during the engagement ball for her eldest son.

Did you notice cdm the green scarabées on the cake , the same as the Ceiling of Brussel's Royal Palace?
You are right , on the family picture there was room for Astrid and Lorenz next to Queen Mathilde but they went behind !
Did you notice also how difficult King Albert II is walking ?

I was actually very surprised to see the reigning king and his queen consort in the back row rather than in front. That would never have happened in the UK given the British obsessive attention to precedence and protocol. Philippe and Mathilde are, however, a very humble royal couple, as I had also noticed in their recent state visit to Denmark when they deferred to Queen Margrethe II and walked behind her when entering the state dinner hall.

That's what I have always noticed. Philippe's children looks like strangers among their own family, which is kind of sad. Also, in the past I've seen Mathilde being extremely friendly with Claire (she was even chose to be Eleonore's godmother) and not a word between them.
I know it was a short appearance, but I can't help but thinking that the whole family is against Philippe and especially Mathilde (notice how no one went next to her to take the picture).
They tried so hard, but it was a really bad attempt of looking like a normal family and to be a party, it was really cold.

I can't keep track of whom in this family does and does not get along. I thought no one got along with Laurent. Has that now shifted to Philippe? What does all the discord stem from?

Well all in all a very normal family where some people get along and others don't , and where the strains between the generations only get bigger over time - with an occasional effort here and there. Bummer though that the whole world can watch this forced spectacle and that these are the people you have to employ in your firm :p

This celebration was organized by some of Paola's official patronages. If that hadn't happened I doubt any family gathering of this size would have taken place.

From the videos it's clear that Philippe's children have little if any contact with their paternal cousins. There's no interaction between them at all. I do like how Elisabeth and her siblings are pretty cool about it, and don't really seem to care (their beds are made anyway) whilst Astrid's tribe and Laurent's kids can't stop chatting and hugging to show how 'united' they are all of a sudden.

My guess is the biggest break was caused by this decision taken by court, to reduce the size of the core royal house and thus handing out less titles (and privileges):Queen Mathilde: Change in title
For title obsessed Lorenz & Astrid this must have been a blow, even though they have more than enough titles and money left. For Laurent & Claire this must ring financial alarm bells. How far can their influences stretch if this means in future they will no longer receive an allowance? Claire surely can't go back to being a part time surveyor. She tried so hard to be the perfect noble housewife since 2003! And Laurent is unmanageable.

I think Philippe & Mathilde tried their best to make it work with this lot but between a mother who was seen on crutches at a rock concert with her favorite child, but can't bother to show up at the National Day Parade, Laurent who was given a fair chance but blew it and Astrid who can't get a grip on her private emotions in public... I guess they made the right choice.

Last edited:
I don't follow the BRF that much, but I love seeing all the family together. This might sound odd, but I don't remember Paola getting so old. Her hair is white now, I just remember her brown hair so vividly!

Back
Top Bottom