Queen Elisabeth Music Competition, 2008-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I agree it's the seemingly sudden growth spurt that is astonishing. The same thing happened with his sister Elisabeth.

Given the height of their parents and their forebears in general, I am expecting all the BRF to be amazons lol!

Still I don´t get what would be "surprising" about that...? :ermm:
We haven`t seen him since a couple of months. And he wasn´t tiny last year already. All young men at that age grow a great deal when you haven´ t seen them quite a time. That´s what happens when you grow up, you know.
Forgive me, I don´t mean to be rude or stuff like that - but sometimes I am the one who is surprised about posts people do about the most average and normal things of human life in the world.

Last edited:
As far as I know Gabriel and Emmanuel both plays an instrument. Gabriel plays the piano, whereas Emmanuel has opted for the flute. In the latest interview Mathilde gave during the Competition to RTBF she said that all her children play an instrument, and also mentioned the saxophone. My guess is that Gabriel is the one who picked the saxophone, given how "displeased" he looks when attending the concerts :lol:

Thank you for the confirmation! And also to Marengo for the extra tidbit - had no idea "Belgium" invented the saxophone.

Still I don´t get what would be "surprising" about that...? :ermm:
We haven`t seen him since a couple of months. And he wasn´t tiny last year already. All young men at that age grow a great deal when you haven´ t seen them quite a time. That´s what happens when you grow up, you know.
Forgive me, I don´t mean to be rude or stuff like that - but sometimes I am the one who is surprised about posts people do about the most average and normal things of human life in the world.

As more than one poster has pointed out, it just seems very sudden. He had not overtaken his very tall mother in height the last time I saw Prince Gabriel.

For the record, yes I am a little taken aback that you would take time out to express surprise at my surprise for a harmless post about something that is admitted normal as a teenage growth spurt..but very sudden.:ermm:

Posters ruminate over normal things all the time on this board(i.e. a Royal female is past her due date for example)

I don't see the harm.

She attends some concerts when she was Queen ,but left the Competition to Queen Fabiola who did it 49 years;

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde at another closing concert of the Queen Elisabeth Competition this evening, June 6:

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
From the neck up Mathilde looks astonishingly beautiful and radiant..at least a decade younger!

But I just can't with that outfit....:ermm:

Queen Elisabeth Music Competition, 2008-2020

The Queen Elisabeth contest is cancelled due to the corona crises. TV channels and radio stations will explore their archives and broadcast the best performances and the history of the contest.
Queen Mathilde encourges us to meet virtually and enjoy these broadcasts,
Koningin Mathilde: “Cultuur kan ee...VRT NWS: nieuws https://vrtnws.be/p.Oq6VNGYxp

Last edited:
The Queen Elisabeth contest is cancelled due to the corona crises. TV channels and radio stations will explore their archives and broadcast the best performances and the history of the contest.
Queen Mathilde encourges us to meet virtually and enjoy these broadcasts,
Koningin Mathilde: “Cultuur kan ee...VRT NWS: nieuws https://vrtnws.be/p.Oq6VNGYxp

What a wonderful idea I'm sure there will plenty of footage to work with from over the years.

What a wonderful idea I'm sure there will plenty of footage to work with from over the years.

Agreed! Giving older winners a second opportunity to be acknowledged and musical connoisseurs an opportunity to review the evolution of the performances over the years seems like a win-win.

I am Member of the Chapelle Musicale Reine Elisabeth.
All ths Students in Piano , violin , violoncelle , Voice may not improve and may not play before a publc. Very sad for them because time is limited for their Stay.

She is only Honorary Chairwomen
She llkes the Chapelle so much that her 8Oth Birthday was celebrated there.

Queen Mathilde send a message about the start of the competition:

"The Queen Elisabeth Piano Competition starts today! 58 pianists from 16 countries take part in the first round. What a joy to be able to once again discover exceptional young talents from all over the world."

:previous:

The Palace has shared a lovely additional photo of Queen Mathilde taken prior or after the recording of the video message:

** Pic **

Nice that they were thoughtful enough to put a photo portrait and a buste of Queen ELisabeth in the background.

I watched the first round -on piano- yesterday. I am glad the competitioon can go ahead this year.

But since a while no Belgian this year in the Competition !

I am "Mecène" of the Queen Elisabeth Chapel , whe had only virtual concerts . We could have our money back , but I left it for the young Artists in Residence . They deserve it !

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just noticed the bust of Queen Elisabeth in the background after I spotted the photo too.

Some royal music lovers were photographed while watching the competitions:

** Pic ** Instagram **

The semi-finals of the Queen Elisabeth Competition - Piano 2021 can be watched online from today until Saturday.⁣

This is taken at the Chapelle Musicale Reine Elisabeth where we have our Concerts. Sad we don't hear what the Queen says.

A am Member and Micenous of the Chapelle ,Queen Paola and King Albert came the 19th of May to visit the Artists in residence at the Chapelle. No Pictures released.

Last edited:
Every Year on TV I look at the Finals
Yesterday evening I was happy and Sad.
Of course , The Winner of the Competition will have a top start for his Future.
But Yesterday the Russian played without any Public , most of the Orchester wore masks as their Dirigent. At the end Elbow against Elbow...
The King and the Queen were there such as of course the Jury.
This evening an Artist from Japan will play Brahms 2 concerto.
To morrow another one , then two Russians and Saturday a French !

Queen Mathilde attended the second final of the Queen Elisabeth competition:

** Photos **

For the session 2021 To me the most important is how it is difficult to play piano with no public , with distanciation of the members of the orchestra and some plexi between them.
Glad the Queen was there.

Back
Top Bottom