Princess Delphine & Family, News & Events 1; 2020 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probalby if he had not rejectied Delphine she would never have progressed to what she did, and ended up as a Princess. So his arrogant heartless behaviour has had the exact opposite effect to what he hoped for. He is less liked than ever and she is now recognised as his daughter and has a royal rank....

Her lawyers saw the loophole in the badly worded royal decrees of 1991 and 2015 and figured they would win in court if they petitioned to have Delphine recognized as a princess. Under those circumstances, I think Delphine would have gone for the title regardless of the status of her personal relationship with Albert and the rest of the family. Obviously being an HRH is something that matters to her.

As for the RF's reaction, I think they are being pragmatic, probably under the advice of the courtiers. They have been beaten in the courts with no prospect of a successful appeal and public opinion seems to have sided with Delphine, so the best solution in damage control is to be seen as extending an olive branch to the enemy. The Crown must always win above one's own personal feelings.

HOpe that Philippe isn't doign this jsut for damage control. He doesn't have to be best freinds with Delphine and I hope that their relatiosnhip will remain private, as is right.. but it was right for him to make this gesture and it made Albert look worse.... But now, whatever Alb does he looks bad.. If he had said nothing He would have looked colder and arrogant.. if he says something, after SO long and such bad behaviour, he only draws attention to the fact that he rejected and lied about his daughter..

That is exactly what she said, his cold admission and denial of any involvement spurred her to do it. She never expected to win, but did think he would reach out to her somewhere along the route.

To add: in the acknowledgement last January that she is his biological daughter it said something along the lines of: "have shown that King Albert is the biological father of Madame Delphine Boël, which he did not know."

The last part after the comma is stunning: what does (did) he mean with *that*?
Trying to save face? Of course he knew what happened there in the late 1960s.
If someone else noticed that, too, and has said something about it - please refer me.

I suppose that was a Saxe-Cobourg trait, and now Delphine has joined those ranks.

I cannot find a statement that expresses the above. So, if you could share the exact quote that would be helpful. I did find articles about a statement his lawyer made - which according to Delphine's representative was worse than the original statement of the king himself.

While those statements are along the lines of: he is her biological father but that there are reasons not to equate that with legal fatherhood, nonetheless, he will be so kind not to explore them any further (literally he said the king had decided to end this painful procedure with honour and dignity).

In addition the statement by his lawyer said: "King Albert insists that since the birth of Mrs. Delphine Boël he was not involved in any family, social or educational decision concerning Mrs. Delphine Boël, and that he has always respected the relationship that existed between Mrs. Delphine Boël and her legal father".

So, maybe you were thinking about that statement, however, in it his lawyer doesn't claim he wasn't her biological father but stresses that someone else was her legal father.

But now, whatever Alb does he looks bad

For that reason, a long public silence may have been a wiser course. As Albert and his wife are elderly, most folks are probably content to leave them to enjoy their lives peacefully and privately.

I cannot find a statement that expresses the above. So, if you could share the exact quote that would be helpful. I did find articles about a statement his lawyer made - which according to Delphine's representative was worse than the original statement of the king himself.

While those statements are along the lines of: he is her biological father but that there are reasons not to equate that with legal fatherhood, nonetheless, he will be so kind not to explore them any further (literally he said the king had decided to end this painful procedure with honour and dignity).

In addition the statement by his lawyer said: "King Albert insists that since the birth of Mrs. Delphine Boël he was not involved in any family, social or educational decision concerning Mrs. Delphine Boël, and that he has always respected the relationship that existed between Mrs. Delphine Boël and her legal father".

So, maybe you were thinking about that statement, however, in it his lawyer doesn't claim he wasn't her biological father but stresses that someone else was her legal father.

This link has the statement in Dutch/Flemish: https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20200910_96277775

“Koning Albert heeft zich naar de wijsheid van het hof van beroep gedragen als het over de erkenning van het wettelijk vaderschap ging, nu is komen vast te staan dat hij de biologische vader is van mevrouw Boël, iets wat hij niet wist”, zegt meester Alain Berenboom, advocaat van de koning.

"Now that it has been acknowledged that he is the biological father of Madame Boël, something he did not know." is the translation.

What*The*Heck...

Last edited:
Her law Obviously being an HRH is something that matters to her.

As for the RF's reaction, I think they are being pragmatic, probably under the advice of the courtiers. They have been beaten in the courts with no prospect of a successful appeal and public opinion seems to have sided with Delphine, so the best solution in damage control is to be seen as extending an olive branch to the enemy. The Crown must always win above one's own personal feelings.
The Crown hasn't won.... Albert is even more disgraced than he was, and if Philippe is only doing this out of damage control then Delphine is winning...

For that reason, a long public silence may have been a wiser course. As Albert and his wife are elderly, most folks are probably content to leave them to enjoy their lives peacefully and privately.
There is nothning much the public can do is there? Albert has abdicated, but he has his pension, he is still a royal and short of revolution there's not much the public can take away from him....

This link has the statement in Dutch/Flemish: https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20200910_96277775

“Koning Albert heeft zich naar de wijsheid van het hof van beroep gedragen als het over de erkenning van het wettelijk vaderschap ging, nu is komen vast te staan dat hij de biologische vader is van mevrouw Boël, iets wat hij niet wist”, zegt meester Alain Berenboom, advocaat van de koning.

"Now that it has been acknowledged that he is the biological father of Madame Boël, something he did not know." is the translation.

What*The*Heck...

Thanks! I was looking for statements from January and didn't recall a statement such as this one. So, if I understand it correctly, it is a recent statement from his lawyer made at the latest court session. He truly is making things worse...

The final sentence isn't much better:
Verder is dit het einde van een zaak die pijnlijk was voor alle partijen, ook voor koning Albert die hier ongevraagd bij betrokken is geworden.”
(this is the end of this case that was painful for all parties, also for King Albert who became involved in this without being asked)

Again, completely unsensitive that is was DELPHINE who was born into this mess because of ALBERT's actions, not the other way around...

Last edited:
The Crown hasn't won.... Albert is even more disgraced than he was, and if Philippe is only doing this out of damage control then Delphine is winning...

Philippe is the Crown now (not Albert), and based on the positive reviews that his meeting with Delphine got in the Belgian press and social media, I would say he is winning, at least in the short term.

In the long run, however, as I said before, I think it is a mistake to passively accept the extension of royal titles to children born out of wedlock. It will lead to greater instability and weaken the monarchy as an institution.

Unfortunately Philippe brought this into himself when he signed a royal decree saying that all people born as children of King Albert would be HRHs instead of wording it as all people born of a marriage of the King as the more careful Dutch did in their own Law on Membership of the Royal Family.

Last edited:
Considering there has been exactly ONE successful illegitimate claimant to a reigning house and it took her an arduous twenty years I doubt any of us would wish to endure, I am not too convinced monarchy has now weakened in the long run.

When I mentioned Charlotte of Monaco before and said "like this" I meant: "child born out of wedlock gains royal rank and title in reigning house". If you consider the Duchess of Valentinois was installed in the succession of her country, I think Delphine is still pretty unique over the last few centuries of European history.

But Princess Charlotte was THE ONLY child of her father, the Sovereign.

Right, and Delphine was not made a princess with the intent to save Belgium! Which is why I don't consider the cases alike and say Delphine is unique, but that Charlotte of Monaco is probably the only comparable (that I can think of). Delphine fortunately faces a much easier reception and fate than Rainier's mother.

Last edited:

So according to her words, it was a nice moment and they have a shared love of art.
We've seen Philippe's paintings and yes, he's quite good at painting portraits like Delphine says.

You mean it's like they're brother and sister.

I didn't even know he painted! I thought he was just the photography guy. I did have a suspicion they would get along over art, though...

(Seriously, fix his wardrobe color palette, Delphine, you're our last hope. Free the eyeballs!!)

You mean it's like they're brother and sister.

I didn't even know he painted!
I thought he was just the photography guy. I did have a suspicion they would get along over art, though...

(Seriously, fix his wardrobe color palette, Delphine, you're our last hope. Free the eyeballs!!)

He does, check this painting of his daughter that he made himself and showed to President Macron:
https://64.media.tumblr.com/334e13da3ba56b85eff8de4159a77c15/tumblr_pii7teL2jp1sgovsyo1_1280.jpg

And this one, of his beloved uncle Baudouin:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Daz_LuRXUAAWhos?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

This link shows another portrait that Philippe made of Baudouin, he is really good:
https://allaboutroyalfamilies.blogspot.com/2018/09/royal-art-king-philippe-of-belgium-is.html

So yes, Philippe and Delphine do indeed have art in common, and a lot more ? :flowers:

Last edited:
He does, check this painting of his daughter that he made himself and showed to President Macron:
https://64.media.tumblr.com/334e13da3ba56b85eff8de4159a77c15/tumblr_pii7teL2jp1sgovsyo1_1280.jpg

And this one, of his beloved uncle Baudouin:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Daz_LuRXUAAWhos?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

This link shows another portrait that Philippe made of Baudouin, he is really good:
https://allaboutroyalfamilies.blogspot.com/2018/09/royal-art-king-philippe-of-belgium-is.html

So yes, Philippe and Delphine do indeed have art in common, and a lot more ? :flowers:

Actually, other than art, wearing all the colors, strange wealthy childhoods, and their absentee father, what do they have common? There must be more, but I don't know what else is on this list.

("He's a straightlaced nervous monarch, she's his newly acknowledged bohemian sister...!" It'd be a cheesy sitcom if it weren't true. ?)

Actually, other than art, wearing all the colors, strange wealthy childhoods, and their absentee father, what do they have common? There must be more, but I don't know what else is on this list.

("He's a straightlaced nervous monarch, she's his newly acknowledged bohemian sister...!" It'd be a cheesy sitcom if it weren't true. ?)

Well, okay, a lot more was assumption on my part. We don't really know.
But I suspect they also share a strong sense of justice. Something tells me that.

Well, okay, a lot more was assumption on my part. We don't really know.
But I suspect they also share a strong sense of justice. Something tells me that.

"Art, wearing all the colors, strange wealthy childhoods, and their absentee father" kept them talking for three hours the other day (and this is Philippe). They also said they want to get together again, so while I suspect they do have even more in common than the list so far, whatever it is so far is enough. :flowers:

It's nice they finally get the chance to talk about all of it.

Last edited:
Well I had no idea that Philippe was such an accomplished artist. He has a special gift. For me that's plenty to have in common with a step sister. I am sure they look forward to carving out some time to spend together getting to know one another better and using art as a good base to start from.

People in this family don't reproduce, they clone themselves ???

When Prince Oscar looks like mini-Baudouin, then I'll be convinced. But there's certainly a strong argument thus far! :D (I'm kidding. That must be the explanation. Those are some big greenhouses at Laeken after all...)

Well I had no idea that Philippe was such an accomplished artist. He has a special gift. For me that's plenty to have in common with a step sister. I am sure they look forward to carving out some time to spend together getting to know one another better and using art as a good base to start from.

They are not step siblings, they are half brother and sister. And I dont see that they need ot have much in common, they dont have to meet that often.. but they can tlak about their kids or what's on tv or whatever....

I really was kidding. But he seems to have the hair! :ohmy:

That much was obvious ;), but I think he really does have an eerie resemblance. Not just the hair, but also the shape of the face.

Princess Joséphine-Charlotte, Prince Baudouin and Prince Albert:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c9/33/0c/c9330c93bae70c07ed624187e5ccf0b6.jpg

Princes Baudouin and Albert:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Baudouin_and_Albert.jpg

Delphine and her family, November 2019 in Brussels:
https://parismatch.be/app/uploads/2020/10/CF0I4342.jpg

Perhaps now I am searching for things, but genes are really strong in this family!

Last edited:
That much was obvious ;), but I think he really does have an eerie resemblance. Not just the hair, but also the shape of the face

Princes Baudouin and Albert:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Baudouin_and_Albert.jpg

Albert was a lovely little boy, too, but that smug look is the only thing that remains. :/

Oscar, we'll wait till he grows another foot and then see. If the Baudouin genes really kick in, then I hope his maman has plans for keeping all the suitors away. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom