Princely House of Mérode

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
The Princely House of Merode

Merode.jpg

Merode Arms

The family stems from the village of Merode in the Duchy of Julich in present-day North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.

Barons (Freiherr) and later Counts (Graf) of the Holy Roman Empire, 15th century.

The main surviving branch of the family is Mérode-Westerloo

Marquess of Westerloo (granted by Philip IV of Spain) 1626
Prince of Rubempré (Holy Roman Empire) 1759
Prince of Rubempré (Kingdom of Belgium) 1846
Prince of Everberghe (Holy Roman Empire) 1759)
Prince of Everberghe (Kingdom of The Netherlands) 1827
Prince of Grimberghe (Kingdom of Belgium) 1842
Prince of Merode (Kingdom of Belgium) 1929
Princely title extended to all members of the family 1930
Prior to this members of the family bore the title of Count or Countess of Merode

Head of the House since 1980

Charles-Guillaume, 3rd Prince de Mérode, Marquis de Westerloo, 11th Prince de Rubempré and 8th Prince de Grimberghe, b 1940
married 1966 Princess Hedwige de Ligne de La Trémoïlle (b 1943); issue 2 sons:

Frédéric (b 1969) Prince de Merode, Prince de Rubempré
married 1996 Hannah Robinson; issue:

- Felix (b 2000) Prince de Merode
- Isabelle (b 2002) Princess de Merode

• Emmanuel (1970) Prince de Merode
married 2003 Louise Leakey (b Kenya 1972); issue:

-Seiyia (b 2004) Princess de Merode
- Alexia (b 2006) Princess de Merode

  

Last edited:
Princely House of Merode

Hello,

I am interested in learning how the titles work in the princely house of Merode.

I understand the head of the house is a prince. But are all members of sons of this family prince/princess? is this a HSH? or HH

at what stage are family members no longer prince/princess?

thank you

The entire family can call themselves Prince/Princess. I'm not sure about the style.

The family was granted the title "Prince of Merode" in 1930, on occasion of the 100th anniversary of Belgium. Before that, they were Count of Merode. Apart from that, the family has other titles, among which Marquis de Westerlo; Prince of Rubempré and of Grimbergen, Count of Saint Empire.

Prince Bertrand de Merode has died last sunday in his appartment in Oostende, Belgium. The prince was born on 8 May 1952. The prince was a journalist in the 70-ties and 80-ties.

the prince was lobbying for a nude-beach in Oostende, he was the victim of fraudes, he once broke into the mayors office with a wooden gun to show that the security was inadequate. And during a protest when King Albert II was visiting the city, he ended up in jail.

The prince was called 'the poporest prince of the country', he divorced his wife Martine Smetryns (with who he has 2 daughters)and suffered from depressions. Prinec Bertrand was the son of prince Werner de Merode and baroness Mathilde Rolin.

The funeral service was held on 13 November in the St Peter and St. Paul catherdral in Oostende.

Traumhochzeit in der Wenauer Klosterkirche - AZ-Web.de

The wedding was attended by prince Fran'cois of Orleans, his aunt countess Helene de Limbourg-Stirum, HGD Guillaume, Prince Felix, Prince Louis and Princess Tessy of Luxembourg, Princesses Maria Annunciata and Marie Astrid of Liechtenstein, Archdukes Imre and Istvan of Austria, various members of German families like the Stolbergs, Auerspergs, Salm-Salm, Sayn-Wittgenstein, the hereditery princes of Leiningen and Croy, etc etc.

The bride is the daughter of prince Charles-Louis de Merode and countess Clothilde d' Oultremont de Wegimont.

It is interesting to note that the Merode family is of German descent from the village Merode in Germany.The village is located in the vicinity of the city of Düren which lies between Aachen and Köln and was part of the Duchy of Julich.

It is interesting to note that the Merode family is of German descent from the village Merode in Germany.The village is located in the vicinity of the city of Düren which lies between Aachen and Köln and was part of the Duchy of Julich.

Isnt the Merode family related to the Grimaldis of Monaco?

Yes, it is; Prince Charles III of Monaco was married to Countess Antoinette de Merode. They were the parents of Prince Albert I.
They are also related to the Aosta branch of the Italian Royal Family, because Antoinette's sister Louise was the mother of Princess Maria Vittoria dal Pozzo della Cisterna (1846-1876), who married to Prince Amedeo of Savoy, first Duke of Aosta (1845-1890), great-grandfather of the current Duke of Aosta (Amedeo too).

Yes, it is; Prince Charles III of Monaco was married to Countess Antoinette de Merode. They were the parents of Prince Albert I.
They are also related to the Aosta branch of the Italian Royal Family, because Antoinette's sister Louise was the mother of Princess Maria Vittoria dal Pozzo della Cisterna (1846-1876), who married to Prince Amedeo of Savoy, first Duke of Aosta (1845-1890), great-grandfather of the current Duke of Aosta (Amedeo too).

I wonder if there is still any contact between the 2 families. Did any of the Merodes attend Rainiers funeral, Alberts enthronement or his wedding? I believe Chateau Marchais came into the Grimaldi family through Countess Antoinette de Marode-Westerlo.

:previous:
I think the Chateau de Marchais was bought by Prince Charles III for his wife Antoinette.

Count Philippe d'Oultremont married to Princess Marguerite de Merode on 5 October 2013 in Wenau, Langerwehe, Germany.

The groom, 35, is the only child of Count Arnoud d'Oultremont and of his wife, née Countess Isabelle d'Aspremont-Lynden.
The bride, 27, is the youngest daughter of Prince Charles Louis de Merode and of his wife, née Countess Clotilde d'Oultremont.
The bride's mother and the groom's father are both great-great-grandchildren of Count Ferdinand d'Oultremont (1797-1868) and of his wife, née Isabelle Bonham (1808-1872); thus Philippe and Marguerite are fourth cousins.

Oultremont
Merode

Does anybody know how the Barons von Merode(Freiherren von Merode) were related to the Princes and Counts de Merode?

I was thinking about this because I was looking at biography of the famous dancer Cleo de Merode and saw that she was the daughter of Freiherr Karl von Merode,also famous landscape painter.It is stated that he descended from one of the branches of the House of Merode,but I can't find the connection anywhere...only Comital branches are covered in genealogy sites.

Let's hope he will recover quickly.
Aparently the prince is the director of the Virunga parc sice 2008:

Emmanuel de Mérode pris dans une embuscade au Congo

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27049627

[...]
More than 130 park rangers have been killed in Virunga since 1996.
Lawless region

Mr De Merode was shot in the stomach and legs with four bullets,
[...]

In 2011 he already told the Belgian magazine 'knack' that he was a target

http://www.knack.be/nieuws/mensen/n...ik-ben-een-doelwit/article-normal-138707.html

A google translate of the interview from 2011:
http://www.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.knack.be%2Fnieuws%2Fmensen%2Fneergeschoten-emmanuel-de-merode-in-knack-ik-ben-een-doelwit%2Farticle-normal-138707.html

---
Added:
The opperation has been succesful and the life of the prince is out of immediate danger:
http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/960/Buiten...ns-de-Merode-kritiek-na-aanval-in-Congo.dhtml

He was shot just days after he presented a report about the British oil company Soco International, who just received the green light from the congolese government to drill for oil in the natural park of Virunga.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...rat-who-runs-Congo-wildlife-reserve-shot.html

Last edited:
Today became the Funeral of Micheline, the Princess Philippe de Merode, who died on December 18. She was 100 years old.

Belga Image

Belgian Royal family was at the funeral?

Princess Baudouin de Merode, née Nathalie van den Abeele (1948), widowed first wife of Baron Guy de Bassompierre, lady-in-waiting of Queen Paola of Belgium since 1997.

In Paris Match , pictures of a Merode Wedding in Westerloo.

Prince Albert-Henri of Mérode and Princess Marie-Christine of Mérode attended the 71st Bambi Awards Ceremony in Baden-Baden, Germany, on November 21:

** Pic **

Princess Marie-Christine of Mérode attended the gala evening of the Brafa Art Fair last month:

** Pic **

Does anybody know how the Barons von Merode(Freiherren von Merode) were related to the Princes and Counts de Merode?

I was thinking about this because I was looking at biography of the famous dancer Cleo de Merode and saw that she was the daughter of Freiherr Karl von Merode,also famous landscape painter.It is stated that he descended from one of the branches of the House of Merode,but I can't find the connection anywhere...only Comital branches are covered in genealogy sites.
Allegedly Cleo was the illegitimate daughter of a Baroness de Merode and an Austrian minister, so she’s a Merode through her mother not her father.

One of the Princesses of Merode, Eliane married into the Baronial branch of the Astor family based in the U.K. She married Charles Gavin Astor in 2017 and they had a daughter in 2020, Astrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
In his role as anthropologist and director of the Virunga National Park Prince Emmanuel de Mérode was received for a meeting with King Philippe today, see here.

Back
Top Bottom