Princely House de Ligne

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations to Édouard and Isabella!! of course big sister Althea :D
Athenais is absolutely beautiful name for baby princess :heart2::wine::rose2::star::baby::fireworks:

Congratulations to Édouard and Isabella!! of course big sister Althea :D
Athenais is absolutely beautiful name for baby princess :heart2::wine::rose2::star::baby::fireworks:

Athénaïs Allegra Isabella de Ligne de la Trémoïlle, Princesse de Ligne, it is a fabulous name. The surname is a combination of one of the eldest and most prestigious Belgian noble Houses (De Ligne) and one of the eldest and most prestigious French noble Houses (De la Trémoïlle).

:flowers:

In 1933 Louis Jean-Marie de la Trémoïlle, Prince et Duc de la Trémoïlle, Duc de Thouars, Premier Duc de France, Prince de Tarente, Prince de Talmond died, without any issue.

He had four sisters but as titles only pass to the heirs male, there was no new generation of De la Trémoïlle. The eldest sister of this last Prince, Charlotte, married the Belgian nobleman Henri Florent Lamoral de Ligne. A junior cadet from the princely House De Ligne. To prevent such an illustrious name as De la Trémoïlle to disappear, their descendants officially bear the surname De Ligne de la Trémoïlle and the title Prince de Ligne. But because members of the House de la Trémoïlle were also of princely rank in France, they are commonly referred as "Prince (Princesse) de Ligne de la Trémoïlle".

To prevent such an illustrious name as De la Trémoïlle to disappear, their descendants officially bear the surname De Ligne de la Trémoïlle and the title Prince de Ligne. But because members of the House de la Trémoïlle were also of princely rank in France, they are commonly referred as "Prince (Princesse) de Ligne de la Trémoïlle".
Some time ago I came across a picture of the civil marriage record of Edouard and Isabella, and there both Edouard and his father Charles were officially called "Prince de Ligne-La Trémoïlle".

Interesting, the official title in the Belgian nobility is Prince (Princesse) de Ligne, as they are male line princes of that House. Their surname however is De Ligne de la Trémoïlle. I can imagine that a municipal registrar easily mixes the two up, but eeeh.... "Prince de Ligne-la Trémoïlle" is really a new invention again.

If all is following the rules, then the youngborn baby is a De Ligne de la Trémoïlle by surname and as a daughter of a Prince de Ligne she is also a Princesse de Ligne. In complete: A.A.I. de Ligne de la Trémöille, Princesse de Ligne.

We see the same 'problem' with the children of the late Prince Johan Friso and of Prince Constantijn. They have the surname Van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg, the title Count (Countess) van Oranje-Nassau and the honorific Jonkheer (Jonkvrouw) van Amsberg. In the Dutch system however it is not allowed to have multiple titles in the surname, so they are referred as "Count (Countess) van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg" which is not the official title. It is easy to get confused with all this.

Last edited:
Some time ago I came across a picture of the civil marriage record of Edouard and Isabella, and there both Edouard and his father Charles were officially called "Prince de Ligne-La Trémoïlle".

I have thought about this mistake and it is in fact commonly made. The Bourbon-Parmas are an example. They are comonly referred as Prince de Bourbon-Parma but their official title is Prince de Bourbon de Parme (of Bourbon and of Parma).

We see the same in the Dutch royal family. When in 1530 the principality of Orange came into the House of Nassau, the prestigious Orange title was added to the surname: Van Oranje, van Nassau but the Germans for a long time sticked to Von Nassau, von Oranien which was in fact the correct form. Over the course of time it has changed in Van Oranje-Nassau.

I can imagine that this sort of changes happens too with complicated names, but I am surprised to see the name De Ligne-La Trémoïlle in an official document because when the dot comes to the i, this could lead to the document being null and void. In the official registers and in the Book of Nobility the surname is De Ligne et de la Trémoïlle and the title is Prince de Ligne.

De Ligne- la Trémoille and de Ligne. Petit de and Grand D.
I suppose they are both Altesses ?
Only the Dowager Alix and Princess Eléonore are born Royal HIghnesses and keep their title their whole life.

found a blog from a woman who visited Château de Beloeil one day and ran into Prince Michael. some nice pictures of the Château and the grounds and a rather charming story of running into him and not knowing who he was at the Château

A Chateau, a Garden and a Prince | Americana en Europa

What a interesting story. The Prince of Ligne is a very charming and simpatic man, I met him twice in Rio. His Highness speaks portuguese fluently.

The Princess is also a very nice woman.

Princess Isabella attended the private view of the exhibition "Dance" by Eugénia Grandchamp des Raux in Paris on June 10:

** Pic **

To Doric and Chris,
in 1981 they were two weddings de Ligne and Orleans-Bragance
HH Prince Michel de Ligne married HRH Princess Eléonore d'Orleans Bragance.
He is the Head of the House and owner of the Castle of Beloeil .
His father was one of the 3 belgian members of the Golden Fleece, I suppose he inherited the tittle.

HH Princess Christine de Ligne marries HRH prince Antonio de Ligne.
Both are RHH , they sadly lost a son in an Air Crash

Short after these weddings I met the Dowager HRH Princess Alix who told me , she was very pride of these two royal weddings.

I really don't like the new Princess Isabelle Orsini de Ligne and am sad that the two Families are mixed in this thread.

I unsuccessfully already asked to split the two families , but alas they are still in the same thread.

Maria-Olivia, I have met all of them. I met with Prince Antonio and Princess Christine every year at the monarchist meeting in Rio de Janeiro and other type of events, they're both wonderful people. It amazes me the way Their Royal Highnesses reacted after the tragic death of their son. They never lost their faith, Prince Antonio said: "I think my son was too good for this World, so God took him away."

The last time I saw the Prince and the Princess was in May, at a solemn session in honor of Prince Antonio's great-grandmother, Princess Isabel of Brazil (1846-1921), at the City Hall of Rio de Janeiro. Now, their daughter will marry and soon start a family, I think the other two children will do the same soon, so I hope Prince Antonio and Princess Christine will be able to enjoy the company of a growing number of grandchildren. And, of course, one day the responsibilities of the Headship of the Imperial House of Brazil will fall upon Prince Antonio's shoulders, it'll be interesting to see how he'll handle it.

And I hope The Dowager Princess of Ligne will be able to attend Princess Amélia's wedding in August. I met her in 2004, at the Mass in honor of The Princess Mother of Brazil's 90th birthday, she was very nice and down to earth.

Last edited:
Thank you both for sharing these stories.

-
maria-olivia: I understand your sentiment, however it *is* the same family. The prince de Ligne de la Tremoille is a member of the house de Ligne and is not the head of a seperate house. They merely added 'de la Tremouille' to their last name to honor the extinct famous French family. Added to that, there is only a modest interest in the family at this forum, so no need to confuse posters by creating a second thread for what is essentially the same family.

Prince Edouard and Princess Isabella attended the Pre Venice Ambi Pictures Party at Les Moulins de Ramatuelle in Saint-Tropez, France, on July 27:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

I'm following Princess Isabella on Instagram and via her account discovered that it was Princess Athenais's christening today. She didn't mention who little Athenais's godparents were, but there are a few photos of Athenais and her sister Althea with various family members (including one of Athenais in her christening gown). I won't post them here as I'm not sure if it's allowed, but I just thought I'd give those who like to 'follow' this family a heads up.

PIc 2 : Prince Edouard de Ligne 's parents ??

They are members of Isabella's family! From left to right you can see her brother David Andrea Orsini, her mother Lolita Orsini and her father Mario Orsini :flowers:

Thank you for the update, HereditaryPrincess :flowers:

Athénaïs' godparents are Alexandra Lanvin and Prince Lelio Orsini of Aragona. Here are some pics (number 3 includes the godparents):

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 ** Pic 8 ** Pic 9 **

You're welcome iceflower and thanks a lot for the photos. :flowers: For me Prince Edouard and his family are rather likeable, and the little Princesses Althea and Athénaïs are adorable. I love how Princess Althea appears to have a special bond with her little sister; this is noticeable on a lot of Princess Isabella's Instagram photos of the two. Is Prince Lelio Orsini of Aragona related to Princess Isabella? IIRC, her maiden name is Orsini, so that got me wondering. I find it interesting that he is a Prince, I knew that the Orsinis had noble connections, but I didn't realise that some of the members of the family actually held princely titles.

Do we know where the christening took place?

The Prince and Princess of Ligne were interviewed by L'Eventail, at the wedding of their niece, Princess Amélia of Orleans-Braganza, that took place in Rio de Janeiro, on August 16th.

Princess Amélia is a niece by blood of both of them, as the Prince is a brother of her mother, Princess Christine, and the Princess is a sister of her father, Prince Antonio.

The Prince and Princess talked about how they met, their wedding (also celebrated in Rio), their first years of marriage and their strong connection with Belgium and Brazil.

Le prince et la princesse Michel de Ligne se souviennent

i came across a nice video of Prince Michel and Princess Eleanora talking about the castle and her links to Brazil. even a bit of interview with their daughter Princess Alix they seem like a very nice family and their château is beautiful

part 2 its in French
C'est du Belge - Família Imperial do Brasil - Parte 02 - YouTube

Part 1 is with Prince Antonio and Princess Christine of Brazil (where Her Royal Highness, born a Princess of Ligne, shows a great knowledge of Brazilian History):

C'est du Belge - Família Imperial do Brasil - Parte 01 - YouTube

What I found most interesting is that Princess Alix told that she, her parents and brother speak Portuguese at home, not French. I've heard she speaking Portuguese, and it's flawless. It was in a lecture Her Highness gave at Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro:

Portal PUC-Rio Digital

Prince Edouard and Princess Isabella attended the Children for Peace Gala in Paris on December 12:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Prince Edouard and Princess Isabella attended an Evening Gala of Sonia Falcone in Venice on May 8:

** Pic **

Last edited:

Princess Isabella attended the 'Sicario' premiere during the 68th annual Cannes Film Festival yesterday, May 19:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Back
Top Bottom