Prince Of Liege

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would be King Albert II.

Well, then the 5 sites that I looked at had it wrong then. That's strange. They still called him that. You would have thought they'd know better.

Originally posted by Prince de Montalban@Feb 13th, 2004 - 11:08 am
King Albert II was this till he became king in 1993.

Now his son, Prince Laurent, has this title, Prince of Líege/Luik.
prince laurent doesn't have the title prince de Liège !
King albert had that title till he became king , i don't think he has the title anymore cause obviously king is a bigger title

Maybe that's why the sites still listed the King as having the title then.

Originally posted by Dennism@Feb 13th, 2004 - 5:08 pm
Maybe that's why the sites still listed the King as having the title then.
The King has it as one of his less titles. Liege won't be awarded to Laurent, as he is only a younger son and far removed from the throne. Moreover, it's isn't a linguisticlly/politically neutral title and thus I doubt there will be any future Prince's of Liege.

That's correct.

Apart from prince/princess of Belgium there are no other titles, except for Philippe and Mathilde who are the duke and duchess of Brabant.

The other titles that were used in the past such as prince of Liege, count of Flanders are linguistically and politically 'not so correct', because they refer to one province/region of Belgium, where only 1 of the Belgian languages is spoken. That's not the case for Brabant, where both French and Flemish are spoken.

Maybe if you want to know it for sure who has the title of prince of liege.
Look at the marriage of prince laurent. In the city hall of brussels the sheriff (schepen) reads the titles of the king en prince laurent.

all right i was wrong :blush:

but our king doesn't have the titles anymore, because he was known together with his wife as the Prince and Princess of Luik/Liége, but when he became king he dropped this title.

It is possible for one of Phillippe's children (maybe prince Gabriel) to wear this title, because the title of Prince of Liege was given to the other children of the king/queen. Prince Charles per example has the title of Count of Flanders, and the son of the crownprince (the future crownprince) has the title Duke of Hanaut.

Women don't have titles, only male members of the RF were given titles by their birth.

Originally posted by Prince de Montalban@Feb 18th, 2004 - 3:00 pm
all right i was wrong  :blush: 

but our king doesn't have the titles anymore, because he was known together with his wife as the Prince and Princess of Luik/Liége, but when he became king he dropped this title.

It is possible for one of Phillippe's children (maybe prince Gabriel) to wear this title, because the title of Prince of Liege was given to the other children of the king/queen. Prince Charles per example has the title of Count of Flanders, and the son of the crownprince (the future crownprince) has the title Duke of Hanaut.

Women don't have titles, only male members of the RF were given titles by their birth.
IIRC, it was decided some time ago that titles that favour one linguistic region over another will no longer be given out as it is no longer considered PC and is viewed as divisive.

Prince of Liège is a substantive title awarded by King Albert I of the Belgians to his youngest grandson, Prince Albert (the future King Albert II), while he was third in line to the throne of Belgium on 7 June, 1934. The title was used from that date until his accession as King of the Belgians on 9 August 1993. His wife, the former Queen Paola, was known as the Princess of Liège from their marriage in 1959 until their accession in 1993.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Liège

Albert II will be the 1st and only Prince of Liège having held the title from 1959-1993.

Is it possible that King Philippe will create one day Prince Gabriel as Prince of Liège?

Is it possible that King Philippe will create one day Prince Gabriel as Prince of Liège?

It is legally possible, since under the Constitution the King retains the prerogative to create titles of nobility, but I cannot envision it happening. It would be treating Gabriel differently from his younger siblings and Wallonia differently from Flanders.

No the title was abolished by Albert II in 2001.

My understanding is that the title was regarded as merged with the crown when Albert II came to the throne in 1993.

The then king abolished several titles in 2001 and were no longer awarded.

Prince of Liège
Count of Hainaut
Count of Flanders

The then king abolished several titles in 2001 and were no longer awarded.

Prince of Liège
Count of Hainaut
Count of Flanders

I think you are thinking of the Royal Decree of October 16, 2001. It abolished the rule (set down in the Royal Decree of September 10, 1930) that the title Count of Hainaut was automatically awarded to the eldest son of the Duke of Brabant.

Art. 2. L'article 2 de l'arrêté royal du 10 septembre 1930 octroyant le titre de Comte de Hainaut au fils aîné du Duc de Brabant, est abrogé.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/royalbelge.htm#Hainaut

The titles Prince of Liège and Count of Flanders had never been made automatic, and no one held them in 2001 (the last Count of Flanders died in 1983 and the last Prince of Liège acceded to the throne in 1993), so there was no need for the King to take any action. By simply not awarding them again, the titles will not return.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/royalbelge.htm#Liège

I think you are thinking of the Royal Decree of October 16, 2001. It abolished the rule (set down in the Royal Decree of September 10, 1930) that the title Count of Hainaut was automatically awarded to the eldest son of the Duke of Brabant.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/royalbelge.htm#Hainaut

The titles Prince of Liège and Count of Flanders had never been made automatic, and no one held them in 2001 (the last Count of Flanders died in 1983 and the last Prince of Liège acceded to the throne in 1993), so there was no need for the King to take any action. By simply not awarding them again, the titles will not return.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/royalbelge.htm#Liège
Looks like action was taken because of the impending birth of Elisabeth. If Albert had wanted the heir to the heir to have the title Count(ess) of Hainaut he couldn't he have issued a new decree that the eldest child instead of the eldest son would be the count(ess) of Hainaut? Apparently, he indeed did not want to continue that tradition. Is there any European country that has a special title for the heir to the heir? I cannot think of one... (Hereditary prince was/is sometimes used but I don't think it is an official title anywhere for heirs to heirs).

I regret very much that the title "Prince of Liège" (my town) has been abolished. It was an honour I think !

The decision to discontinue awarding personal dynastic titles such as Count of Flanders or Prince of Liège to younger sons of kings must already have been concluded by 1993. Otherwise, Laurent (and Astrid, taking into account the gender-neutral succession) should have been awarded one that year when their father succeeded to the throne.

I regret very much that the title "Prince of Liège" (my town) has been abolished. It was an honour I think !

I'm not sure what the logic behind it was along with the other historic titles that are no longer awarded.

No it was not , because we should have had a Count ot Flanders.
As Philippe and Mathilde knew their first Child was a girl , They abolished the titles.
The Heiress is Duchess of Brabant.

I'm not sure what the logic behind it was along with the other historic titles that are no longer awarded.

The government stated in 2001 that it had made the decision to discontinue the usage of "Count of Hainaut" because of the "institutional evolution of Belgium". I assume they referred to the evolution of Belgium into devolved federal states with the royal family as a unifying symbol for the entire country.

https://www.lalibre.be/belgique/l-e...esse-de-hainaut-1810-51b8755ae4b0de6db9a657ca

No it was not , because we should have had a Count ot Flanders.
As Philippe and Mathilde knew their first Child was a girl , They abolished the titles.
The Heiress is Duchess of Brabant.

But as Somebody mentioned, King Albert II could in principle have reformed the rules of the Countdom of Hainaut to be gender-neutral, as he did for the other automatic dynastic title (Duke of Brabant). However, he chose to abolish the automatic rule instead.

I am happy Gabriel , Emmanuel and Leonore have no tittles !

Back
Top Bottom