The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2021, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The then king abolished several titles in 2001 and were no longer awarded.

Prince of Liège
Count of Hainaut
Count of Flanders

Old 06-04-2021, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The then king abolished several titles in 2001 and were no longer awarded.

Prince of Liège
Count of Hainaut
Count of Flanders
I think you are thinking of the Royal Decree of October 16, 2001. It abolished the rule (set down in the Royal Decree of September 10, 1930) that the title Count of Hainaut was automatically awarded to the eldest son of the Duke of Brabant.

Quote:
Art. 2. L'article 2 de l'arrêté royal du 10 septembre 1930 octroyant le titre de Comte de Hainaut au fils aîné du Duc de Brabant, est abrogé.
https://www.heraldica.org/topics/roy...ge.htm#Hainaut

The titles Prince of Liège and Count of Flanders had never been made automatic, and no one held them in 2001 (the last Count of Flanders died in 1983 and the last Prince of Liège acceded to the throne in 1993), so there was no need for the King to take any action. By simply not awarding them again, the titles will not return.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/roy...elge.htm#Liège

Old 06-04-2021, 04:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I think you are thinking of the Royal Decree of October 16, 2001. It abolished the rule (set down in the Royal Decree of September 10, 1930) that the title Count of Hainaut was automatically awarded to the eldest son of the Duke of Brabant.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/roy...ge.htm#Hainaut

The titles Prince of Liège and Count of Flanders had never been made automatic, and no one held them in 2001 (the last Count of Flanders died in 1983 and the last Prince of Liège acceded to the throne in 1993), so there was no need for the King to take any action. By simply not awarding them again, the titles will not return.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/roy...elge.htm#Liège
Looks like action was taken because of the impending birth of Elisabeth. If Albert had wanted the heir to the heir to have the title Count(ess) of Hainaut he couldn't he have issued a new decree that the eldest child instead of the eldest son would be the count(ess) of Hainaut? Apparently, he indeed did not want to continue that tradition. Is there any European country that has a special title for the heir to the heir? I cannot think of one... (Hereditary prince was/is sometimes used but I don't think it is an official title anywhere for heirs to heirs).
Old 06-04-2021, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I regret very much that the title "Prince of Liège" (my town) has been abolished. It was an honour I think !
Old 06-04-2021, 07:54 PM
Heir Apparent

The decision to discontinue awarding personal dynastic titles such as Count of Flanders or Prince of Liège to younger sons of kings must already have been concluded by 1993. Otherwise, Laurent (and Astrid, taking into account the gender-neutral succession) should have been awarded one that year when their father succeeded to the throne.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
I regret very much that the title "Prince of Liège" (my town) has been abolished. It was an honour I think !
I'm not sure what the logic behind it was along with the other historic titles that are no longer awarded.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:07 AM
Majesty

No it was not , because we should have had a Count ot Flanders.
As Philippe and Mathilde knew their first Child was a girl , They abolished the titles.
The Heiress is Duchess of Brabant.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I'm not sure what the logic behind it was along with the other historic titles that are no longer awarded.
The government stated in 2001 that it had made the decision to discontinue the usage of "Count of Hainaut" because of the "institutional evolution of Belgium". I assume they referred to the evolution of Belgium into devolved federal states with the royal family as a unifying symbol for the entire country.

https://www.lalibre.be/belgique/l-en...b0de6db9a657ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
No it was not , because we should have had a Count ot Flanders.
As Philippe and Mathilde knew their first Child was a girl , They abolished the titles.
The Heiress is Duchess of Brabant.
But as Somebody mentioned, King Albert II could in principle have reformed the rules of the Countdom of Hainaut to be gender-neutral, as he did for the other automatic dynastic title (Duke of Brabant). However, he chose to abolish the automatic rule instead.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:30 AM
Majesty

I am happy Gabriel , Emmanuel and Leonore have no tittles !

Tags
styles and titles