On This Day: Belgian Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this day, December 10, 1865 ~ Demise of King Leopold I of Belgium at the Royal Palace of Laeken

On this day, December 16, 1790 ~ Birth of King Leopold I of Belgium at Ehrenburg Palace in Coburg, Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld

On this day, January 23, 1891 ~ Demise of Prince Baudouin of Belgium at the Palace of the Count of Flanders in Brussels

1st of February,1248 Death of Henri II ,Duke of Brabant & Count of Louvain.

Henri II was Duke from 1235 until his death and was buried at the Abbey of Villers-en-Brabant but sadly the Abbey was ransacked and looted by the French in 1796 and the tombs of the dukes destroyed.
The Abbey is a ruin today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_II,_Duke_of_Brabant

The Marriage of Henri II of Brabant and Marie of Hohenstaufen

586px-Hendrik_Maria.jpg

16th of March 1405 : Death of Marguerite III, Countess of Flanders

Marguerite was the daughter of Louis II of Flanders and Marguerite de Brabant .In 1384 she succeeded her father as Countess d'Artois,Nevers and Flanders and was also by marriage duchess of Burgundy,
Following her death Marguerite was buried with her parents at the collégiale Saint-Pierre de Lille which was sadly torn down by the French in 1794.The church contained the Tombs of the Counts of Flanders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_III,_Countess_of_Flanders

Tombeau_de_Louis_de_Male%2C_Marguerite_de_Brabant_et_Marguerite_de_Male_Lille.png

On this day, April 3, 1812 ~ Birth of Louise-Marie of Orleans, Queen of the Belgians, spouse of King Leopold I of the Belgians, in Palermo, Kingdom of Sicily

Louise-Marie Thérèse Charlotte Isabelle d'Orléans was born only 2 years before the Bourbon Restoration and following that the family returned to Paris and lived at the Palais-Royal.
The Princess was mainly educated by her fathers sister Adélaïde d'Orléans.

The Orléans family
399px-King_Louis_Philippe_of_France_and_his_family.jpg

On this day, April 8, 1875 ~ Birth of Albert I, King of Belgium at the Palais de la Regence in Brussels, Belgium

On this day, April 9, 1835 ~ Birth of King Leopold II of Belgium in Brussels, Belgium

That’s quite something that two successive kings had almost the same birthday. Did poor Albert have to celebrate with Uncle Monster?

On this day, June 3, 1869 ~ Birth of Prince Baudouin of Belgium at the Palais de la Regence in Brussels, Belgium

On this day, June 7, 1840 ~ Birth of Princess Charlotte of Belgium, wife of Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico, at the Royal Castle in Laeken, Brussels, Belgium

On this day, July 21, 1831 ~ Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld became King Leopold I of the Belgians

On this day, July 25, 1876 ~ Birth of Queen Elisabeth of Belgium, spouse of King Albert I of Belgium
She was born Elisabeth of Bavaria at Possenhofen Castle in Kingdom of Bavaria

On this day, July 30, 1872 ~ Birth of Princess Clementine of Belgium, Princess Napoleon, wife of Prince Victor Bonapatrte, at the Royal Castle of Laeken in Brussels, Belgium

Last edited by a moderator:
4th of August 1430 : Death of Philippe I er, Duke of Brabant, Lothier and Limburg, Count of Ligny and Saint-Pol.

Philippe was Duke of Brabant, Lothier and Limburg from 1427-1430 and had no children by his marriage to Yolande d'Anjou.
Following his death he was buried at the Church of Saint John the Evangelist in Tervueren near Brussels which housed the Family Burial Vault.
He was succeeded by his cousin,Philippe le Bon/Philippe III.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_I,_Duke_of_Brabant

367px-Filipodant.jpg

On this day, August 23, 1836 ~ Birth of Queen Marie Henriette of Belgium (Archduchess Marie Henriette of Austria), wife of King Leopold II of Belgium, at Buda Castle in Budapest, Hungary

On this day, September 19, 1902 ~ Demise of Queen Marie Henriette of Belgium, wife of King Leopold II of Belgium

On this day, October 10, 1903 ~ Birth of Prince Charles of Belgium, Prince Regent of Belgium, at the Palace of of the Marquis d'Assche in Brussels, Belgium

On this day, October 11, 1850 ~ Demise of Louise Marie of Orleans, Queen Consort of King Leopold I of Belgium, at Ostend, Belgium

October 27th, 1312 : Death of Jean II,Duke de Brabant, de Basse-Lotharingie,
et de Limbourg.

Jean II was duke from 1294 until his death and in 1290 had married Margaret of England was succeeded by their son,Jean III.
Following his death his remains were buried at the Cathedral of Saints-Michel-et-Gudule de Bruxelles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_II,_Duke_of_Brabant

369px-Jan2Brabant.jpg

On this day, November 3, 1901 ~ Birth of Leopold III, King of the Belgians at the Palace d'Asche in Brussels, Belgium

8th of November 1264- Death of Mathilde de Béthune

8th of November 1264- Death of Mathilde de Béthune ,Countess of Flanders

Mathilde de Béthune was the 1st wife of Guy of Dampierre,Count of Flanders and Marquis of Namur.
Following her death,Mathilde was buried at St Huberts Chapel at l'Abbaye de Flines.
The Abbey was dissolved in 1791 and largely destroyed in 1794.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matilda_of_Béthune

186px-Mathilde_de_Bethune.jpg

December 1st,1530 : Death of the Archduchess Margaret of Austria, duchess of Savoy

The Archduchess Margaret of Austria was the daughter of Mary of Burgundy and the future Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor and an aunt of HRE Charles V.
Margaret acted as Imperial Regent of the Habsburg Netherlands from 1507 to 1515 and 1517 until her death.
The Archduchess died in her sleep at Mechelen in the Duchy of Brabant and her remains were taken to the Royal Monastery of Brou and buried beside her second husband and mother in law.
Her coffin was rediscovered in the 19th century beneath the choir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marga...of_Savoy#Governor_of_the_Habsburg_Netherlands

Bernard_van_Orley_-_Portrait_of_Margaret_of_Austria.jpg

On this day, December 16, 1790 ~ Birth of King Leopold I of the Belgians at Ehrenburg Palace in Coburg, Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld

On this day, April 3, 1812 ~ Birth of Louise Marie of Orleans, Queen Consort of King Leopold I of Belgium, in Palermo, Kingdom of Sicily

On this day, April 9, 1835 ~ Birth of King Leopld II of Belgium in Brussels, Belgium

Last edited by a moderator:
On this day, June 1, 1983 ~ Demise of Prince Charles of Belgium, Prince Regent of Belgium in Ostend, Belgium

On this day, August 7, 1993: funeral of King Boudewijn of the Belgians.

On this day 30 years ago, August 9, 1993, two days after his brother's funeral, Prince Albert became King Albert II

On this day, August 29, 1935 - Queen Astrid was killed in a car accident in Küssnacht am Rigi.

Last edited:
On this day, September 13, 1999 - The Engagement announcement of Crown Prince Philippe of Belgium and Jonkvrouw Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz.

On this day, December 10, 1865 ~ Demise of King Leopold I of the Belgians at the Royal Palace of Laeken in Laeken, Brussels, Belgium

Back
Top Bottom