On This Day: Belgian Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wouldn't king Baudouin have been the longest reigning (or near enough) European monarch at that time?

Though I'm thinking that Prince Rainier III reigned 3 years longer?
Baudouin ascended his throne two years after Rainier. At the time of his death the current monarchs of Europe had started their reigns in the following order:
Rainier of Monaco 1949
Baudouin of Belgium 1951
Elizabeth of UK 1952
Jean of Luxembourg 1964
Margrethe of Denmark 1972
Carl Gustav of Sweden 1973
Juan Carlos of Spain 1975
Beatrix of the Netherlands 1980
Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein 1989
Harald of Norway 1991

And this was till now the last funeral of an european King/Queen who had been reigning at the time of his death.
That's a bit mind-blowing. I don't think anyone at the time would have imagined that abdication would become so frequent as we can see today.

Last edited:
The most impressive Picture to me is the one of the 9 Kings at the Funerals of King Edouard VIII. Our King Albert I was the one without the Sash of the Order of the Garter!

Baudouin ascended his throne two years after Rainier. At the time of his death the current monarchs of Europe had started their reigns in the following order:
Rainier of Monaco 1949
Baudouin of Belgium 1951
Elizabeth of UK 1952
Jean of Luxembourg 1964
Margrethe of Denmark 1972
Carl Gustav of Sweden 1973
Juan Carlos of Spain 1975
Beatrix of the Netherlands 1980
Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein 1989
Harald of Norway 1991

And of that list today
Elizabeth II
Margrethe II
Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden
Hans-Adam II
Harald V of Norway

Beatrix of the Netherlands and Juan Carlos of Spain have abdicated,Rainier III and Grand Duke Jean have both passed.

15th of August 1224 : Death of Marie de France,Duchess of Brabant

Marie was the daughter of Philippe II Auguste of France and Agnes of Merania.
In 1213 she was married to Henri I, Duke of Brabant and following her death she was buried at St Pierre de Leuven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_of_France,_Duchess_of_Brabant

312px-Hendrik_Marie.jpg

On this day, August 22, 1853 ~ The Wedding of Prince Leopold (King Leopold II) of Belgium and Archduchess Marie Henriette of Austria

On this day, August 23, 1836 ~ Birth of Queen Marie Henriette of Belgium, wife of King Leopold II of Belgium. Originally she was Archduchess Marie Henriette of Austria. She was born at Buda Castle in Budapest, Hungary.

On this day, August 23, 1836 ~ Birth of Queen Marie Henriette of Belgium, wife of King Leopold II of Belgium. Originally she was Archduchess Marie Henriette of Austria. She was born at Buda Castle in Budapest, Hungary.

Her paternal grandfather was Leopold II, Holy Roman Emperor who was an older bother of Marie Antoinette.Her paternal grandmother was Maria Luisa of Spain a daughter of Carlos III of Spain.

Her paternal grandfather was Leopold II, Holy Roman Emperor who was an older bother of Marie Antoinette.Her paternal grandmother was Maria Luisa of Spain a daughter of Carlos III of Spain.
It is coincidental that Marie Henriette has a grandfather who is Leopold II and her spouse is a Leopold II.

It is coincidental that Marie Henriette has a grandfather who is Leopold II and her spouse is a Leopold II.

It wasn't entirely coincidental. King Leopold II was the son of King Leopold I, who in turn was named for his godfather, the grandfather of Marie-Henriette.

It wasn't entirely coincidental. King Leopold II was the son of King Leopold I, who in turn was named for his godfather, the grandfather of Marie-Henriette.

But Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II,. died in 1792 and Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld the later King Léopold I.of the Belgians was born 4 years later in 1796. so he can hardly have been his godfather.

The Belgian queens have so far all came from either royal or noble houses reigning and non reigning.

But Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II,. died in 1792 and Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld the later King Léopold I.of the Belgians was born 4 years later in 1796. so he can hardly have been his godfather.

The future King Leopold I was born in 1790 per the monarchy's website. :flowers: It was said in Histoire de la maison de Saxe-Cobourg-Gotha that the Emperor was his godfather and namesake.

The future King Leopold I was born in 1790 per the monarchy's website. :flowers: It was said in Histoire de la maison de Saxe-Cobourg-Gotha that the Emperor was his godfather and namesake.

That's a very informative link on the Belgian Royal Site and gives the basic information without too much heavy information.

The Belgians have one of the 'better' official royal sites.

Then An Online Gotha is wrong as i looked there and they have him born in 1796.

But somehow it seems a bit strange that a Prince from a protestant Family got the Habsburg Emperor as godfather.

26th of August 1346 : Death of Louis I ,Count of Flanders, Nevers and Rethel.

Louis was Count of Flanders and Nevers from 1322 until his death and also Count of Rethel from 1328.
He was killed at the Battle of Crécy in 1346.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_I,_Count_of_Flanders

His remains were later buried in a splendid tomb at the now destroyed St. Donatian's Cathedral in Bruges.
The cathedral was pulled down by the French in 1799 and his tomb was not saved and was destroyed.

640px-Louis_I_of_Flanders_Bruggy.jpg

Last edited:

But somehow it seems a bit strange that a Prince from a protestant Family got the Habsburg Emperor as godfather.
Would not the parents of Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld still be required to also obtain Protestant godparents for Leopold?

Would not the parents of Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld still be required to also obtain Protestant godparents for Leopold?

I would have thought so at that time but upon further reading I discovered that another Austrian Emperor,Francis II was one of the godfathers to Albert the future Prince Consort of the Untied Kingdom.

It is unusual , but not impossible for a Catholic to serve as a godparent in a Protestant baptism, or even vice-versa. Among royals, it might be more common. Queen Mathilde for example is the godmother of Princess Isabella of Denmark, who is Lutheran.

The only mandatory requirement, I think, is that the godparent must be baptized himself/herself and that his/her baptism must be considered valid. The Catholic Church for example recognizes baptisms performed in Anglican, Lutheran or Reformed churches. In fact, if a former member of those denominations ,is received in the Catholic Church, he or she does not need to ( in fact must not) be baptized again.

It was probably wasn't as common back in the 16th/17th/18th/19th when ecumenism among Roman Catholics and Protestants was virtually non existent :previous:

17th of September 1322 : Death of Robert III, Count of Flanders and Nevers.

Robert was buried alongside his first wife Blanche d'Anjou at the now destroyed Flines Abbey which was pulled down in 1794 by the French.

His tomb stone was salvaged and is now preserved at St Martins Cathedral in Ypres.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_III,_Count_of_Flanders

192px-Robert3.jpg

On this day, September 10, 1902 ~ Demise of Queen Marie Henriette of Belgium, spouse of King Leopold II of Belgium, at the Hotel du Midi in Spa, Belgium

On this day, October 2, 1900 ~ The Wedding of Prince Albert (King Albert I) of Belgium and Elisabeth of Bavaria in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria :heartflower::heartflower::heartflower::heartflower:

On this day, October 2, 1900 ~ The Wedding of Prince Albert (King Albert I) of Belgium and Elisabeth of Bavaria in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria :heartflower::heartflower::heartflower::heartflower:

Was Prince Albert styled Duke of Brabant at the time of the wedding?

Why didn't they have to get married in Belgium? Was the King that petty?

On this day, October 10, 1903 ~ Birth of Prince Charles of Belgium, Prince Regent of Belgium at the Palace of the Marquis d'Assche in Brussels, Belgium

On this day, October 11, 1850 ~ Demise of Louise of Orleans, Queen of Belgium, wife of King Leopold I of Belgium, at Ostend, Belgium

1st of November 1406 : Death of Jeanne ,Duchess de Brabant and Limburg.

Jeanne was the daughter of Jean III ,Duke of Brabant and Limburg and Marie d'Évreux .Married twice she died childless having reigned as Duchess from 1355 until her death.
The duchess was buried at l'église des Carmes à Bruxelles and her tomb survived until 1794 when it was destroyed by the French.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna,_Duchess_of_Brabant

Johana_Brabantska.jpg

On this day, November 3, 1901 ~ Birth of Leopold III, King of the Belgians at the Palace of the Marquis d'Assche in Brussels, Belgium

On this day, November 10, 1926 ~ The Wedding of Prince Leopold of Belgium and Princess Astrid of Sweden

On this day, November 17, 1845 ~ Birth of Marie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, Countess of Flanders, wife of Prince Philippe, Count of Flanders

On this day, November 23, 1965 ~ Demise of Queen Elisabeth of the Belgians

Last edited by a moderator:
1st December 1530 : Death of the Archduchess Margaret of Austria, Regent of the Low Countries.

Margaret was the daughter of the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian of Austria and Mary of Burgundy.
The Archduchess has been married twice but both unions were childless

Don Juan,Prince of Asturias (1497)
Philibert II, Duke of Savoy (1501-1504)

After the death of her second husband the Archduchess refused to remarry and her father appointed her as Imperial Regent of the Low Countries which Margaret governed until her death at Mechelen.
Margaret's remains are buried at the Saint-Nicolas-de-Tolentin de Brou where a magnificent Tomb mausoleum was erected and has survived. In this tomb lies the remains of Margaret her second husband and mother in law Maragret of Bourbon.
Their coffins were rediscovered during restoration in the 19th century and had escaped the French Revolution. Margaret's heart was buried along side her mother at Note Dame de Bruges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_of_Austria,_Duchess_of_Savoy

407px-Margarethe_of_Austria_Savoy.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom