King's Feast 2004 - present

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, they celebrate it on November 15th, as it is St. Leopolds day, which is a nice tribute to all the Leopolds in the family, though it would have worked better in a more southern county ;).

It is not comparable to the Dutch Queensday though, it is not a national holiday in Belgium (just for the German speaking community). I believe some parts of the army have the day off though.

Thanks-I just love seeing photos of the Belgian RF. They fascinate me. But poor CP Philippe...he is aging rather quickly isn't he? The man is just 47 but looks at least a decade older, and Laurent too. Laurent needs to go an a diet asap. Heart disease is a serious problem among the Saxe-Coburg males.

CP Mathilde looks radiant as usual even though I don't care for her outfit, and it's always great to see Queen Fabiola out and about.

Wow Queen Fabiola is beautiful dress and not see often on Queen Fabiola on photo. Now she see out elder and pretty aunt! Crown Princess Mathilde is wow beautiful dress and hat!!!

Wow, Princess Mathilde is shaping up to be the right Royal Princess of Europe. Impeccable background and is coming to the role very nicely, thank you.

She dresses in a manner becoming of a Royal Princess and keeps on developing her style.

Chamber chairman Herman Van Rompuy, Princess Mathilde and Queen Fabiola pictured during the ceremony for the King feast themed 'Belgium and international cooperation'

ANP Beeldbank

Princess Mathilde and Prince Philippe sing the Golden Book of the Senate
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Wow, Princess Mathilde is shaping up to be the right Royal Princess of Europe. Impeccable background and is coming to the role very nicely, thank you.

She dresses in a manner becoming of a Royal Princess and keeps on developing her style.

Iagree that she is THE quintessential Royal Princess, the country should be very proud of her not to mention her family.

I wonder what the late King Baudouin would have thought of her? I am betting that he would be thrilled with his nephew's choice!

Last edited:
Comparison to make things more clear gives confusion I discover

Right so this is the Belgian equivalent to Queens Day in the Netherlands. I wonder why they always choose months with such miserable weather!

Does the Belgian family go to different areas each year, as the Dutch family does, or do they always go to the same place?

I wonder if they really feel like celebrating the king this year, what with the mess with the Belgian government, or lack thereof.

Well, they celebrate it on November 15th, as it is St. Leopolds day, which is a nice tribute to all the Leopolds in the family, though it would have worked better in a more southern county

It is not comparable to the Dutch Queensday though, it is not a national holiday in Belgium (just for the German speaking community). I believe some parts of the army have the day off though.

:ermm:Since the Dutch Queensday is -originally- meant to celebrate the birthday of the Queen/King [Queen Beatrix has chosen not to do this on her real birthday in January, but to celebrate it on her mother’s birthday in April. Some people wished se had chosen her grandmothers birthday in august by the way] there is some comparison with the Dutch Queensday I think.

Looking at the day off we have in the Netherlands on Queensday, perhaps you could also make some comparison with the Belgian National Feast day on 21 July. However we don't have such a day with military parades in the Nederland’s, so probably this isn’t a very good comparison too.

In the Netherlands we have our third Tuesday in September when we open the "parliamentaly year" with much pump and circumstance. In Belgium they have not such a thing I believe.

Leaves us with the conclusion that there can not be made a one on one comparison to the Dutch and Belgian Feasts I think.

We just can look up what is celebrated and enjoy ourselfs [or not:)]

I agree paola, though I am rather partial to the Belgian national holiday as it is my birthday too!

Anyway, I watched Belgian news and the protestors (around 10) were screaming ´Belgie barst´ (Belgium will break down) when Queen Fabiola walked into the cathedral. Phillipe didn´t even look surprised by it all, but he must be used to it by now. I think the protesters were arrested or something and I could hear some angry people saying things like ´scandalous´ etc, about the protesters of course.

I agree paola, though I am rather partial to the Belgian national holiday as it is my birthday too!

Anyway, I watched Belgian news and the protestors (around 10) were screaming ´Belgie barst´ (Belgium will break down) when Queen Fabiola walked into the cathedral. Phillipe didn´t even look surprised by it all, but he must be used to it by now. I think the protesters were arrested or something and I could hear some angry people saying things like ´scandalous´ etc, about the protesters of course.

Well. That IS scandalous to yell something like that to this regal and wonderful Queen who has given so much of herself to the people of Belgium.

Hopefully she did not blink, but continued straight ahead, and CP Philippe too.

For shame.

When is Princess Mathilde due to give birth, because I can't tell if she is pregnant or not?:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
King's Feast - 2008

The entire royal family is invited to the "King's Feasts" tomorrow at the Belgian Senate. 15 November is officially the day on which the Royal Family is celebrated.

This year the Feast is in honour of King Albert II's 15 year reign. They will also honour his late brother, King Baudouin.

Link to the site of the Belgian Senate in Dutch and French

Wonderful! I hope that photos are released of the royal family in attendance.

The royal family first attended Holy Mass at the St Michel & St Gudule Cathedral, the so called "Te Deum", in honour of the King.
Mass was read by Cardinal Danneels. All important politicians were there too, but honestly, they seemed to be bored :lol:

Queen Fabiola looked remarkably well this morning, in royal blue as often. Princess Mathilde still seems to be in mourning...

Lovely photos! Was Princess Astrid and her family in attendance? I thought Mathilde looked lovely. Claire seemed a bit casually-dressed for this event, IMO.

Pics of the ceremony in Parliament & Senate (Belga)

Some clips of the festivities (in Dutch) and an article here.

The fact that the King attended the Te Deum Mass was exceptional. Normally he doesn't attend the Mass because it is held in his honour.

In his speech in Parliament, Prime Minister Leterme called the King " the cement of the nation" and " a factor of cohesion".

Last edited:
Where was Queen Paola? Did she attend the Te Deum?

Back
Top Bottom