King Albert II Announces his Abdication: July 3rd 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
for now we are 59 members and non members on this thread and is growing

Seems 2013 is the year of monrachs abdications worldwide :D
At what time (GMT) the king will deliver his speech?.

Last edited:
Is Fabiola ok, can it be news about her?

I think not. In the article that I posted before, a journalist asked what it was about and the minister whould have said something like 'can't you guess that now?'. Also, the media is reporting 'abdication', they're now showing overviews of his reign and stuff.

The speech is at 6 PM Belgian time :flowers:

Belgian king to address nation amid abdication speculation
Article

Belgium's King Albert II 'to abdicate'
BBC news

it cant be compered to other countries abdikation has happned in belgium before

My guess is that King Albert and Queen Paola have been thinking at abdication for a long time. This year (20 years after he became King) is a nice year to do it.
I also think that one of his considerations must have been the 'Delphine case'.
Maybe when he is prince again, he has the feeling that he is a bit more free to acknowledge Delhine as his daughter and that it draws less attention after his abdication.

Well, our Queen has set up a trent this year, first Beatrix, the pope after here and now the Belgian King. For Belgium it is not so usual like the Netherlands, were it is tradition, but maybe a part of a modern monarchy worldwide?

Abdication fever it seems. It certainly puts the pressure on other older monarchs...

Only once, during wartime. Leopold had to abdicate. Albert will be the first one tot do it voluntarily.

I hope he will see this as a chance for getting things right with Delphine too. And I'm sure he will be happy not to have to lead the forming of the government next year. That must have been too hard on him last time.

Yes for one time afther the second war (the father of King Albert and Boudewijn) but it was necessary, there was a constitutional crisis. The way like today, it is the first time in Belgium.

Any speculation on the installation or coronation of Phillipe as King? Do you think it will be handled as was in The Netherlands?

I'll be tuning in at 6pm.

Maybe when he is prince again, he has the feeling that he is a bit more free to acknowledge Delhine as his daughter and that it draws less attention after his abdication.

Don't think he will become Prince again as his father was also styled as King Leopold after his abdication. And if i understand it right at the moment he is protected as King because of the Constitution and does not have to give an DNA Test. Probably after and abdication this is not the case anymore.

According to the BRT1 the counsil of ministers will meet at 17:30.

Last edited:
Any speculation on the installation or coronation of Phillipe as King? Do you think it will be handled as was in The Netherlands?

I think not. Albert said the oath in parliament. The only 'fancy' thing there was the throne. Belgium doesn't even have a crown as far as I now, so no tradition here unfortunately. Filip did say he hoped an inauguration like in the Netherlands would be possible. He was 'surprised' about the warmth of the people and that so many people attended in Holland.

The news just said that the message will be recordered at 17.30 so that little or no information could be leaked.

So, would his successor have a coronation, like in the UK?
Or an Investiture like in the Netherlands?

For those of us not up on Belgium and their Royal Family who is likely to take over? Wow it does seem to be the year of abdications I don't see it being a big trend though. I guess that means that there will be a Coronation to look forward too? It the Heir someone the people like? Sorry to be so ignorant I don't usually follow the Belgium Royals but this is very interesting. It is a rare thing for a Monarch to abdicate and to have two in one year is something special.

I think this is unique?? Are there country's with 3 or more Queens?
The United Kingdom had 3 Queens for a short period.
From the death of George VI in February 1952 to the death of Queen Mary in March 1953:

Queen Elizabeth II, the Sovereign
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, consort of George VI
Queen Mary, consort of George V

For those of us not up on Belgium and their Royal Family who is likely to take over?

King Albert's eldest son Philippe and his wife Mathilde will become King and Queen.
And Philippe and Mathilde have four children, two sons and two daughters. Their first child Elisabeth will be the new heiress and becoming the Duchess of Brabant.

i think the king Albert will announce his abdication this evening because there is a speech of the prime minister just after the speech of the king., the very serious newspaper ' Le Soir' thinks also there will be an announce of abdication.

I am excited because I like a lot Prince Philippe and Mathilde.

We are now 146 people in this thread growning in numbers..
i think at the birth of prince christian of denmark there were 2600 people in the same thread

but if the "celebrations" will be held on the 21 july? would many royals crown prince families don't be on vacations around the world judging by it is in the middle of the summer holiday? or will the celebration just be a little private one? thanks

So, would his successor have a coronation, like in the UK?
Or an Investiture like in the Netherlands?
They do not have that tradition in Belgium. The new monarch simply swears and oath before Parliament, and usually some MP will interupt and yell out "Vivre La Republique".

Last edited:
The new monarch simply swears and oath before Parliament, and usually some MP will interupt and yell out "Vivre La Repulique".

I love how you made it sound like it's something that is supposed to happen, as if it were an integral part of the ceremony. In fact, it took me a second or two to realize that it's not! :lol:

I'm not going to say that I didn't see this coming. I actually thought he would hang on for another couple of years though. I've heard for a while that the Belgians don't like Philippe, why don't they like him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom