King Albert II Announces his Abdication: July 3rd 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was one abdication in the royalty of Belgium, it was the abdication of Leopold III, he abdicated at the royal palace of Brussels, I think the ceremony of the abdication could take place on july 20th.

He will give a speech on 20 july and on 21 july he will abdicate and Filip will be king.

I am very surprised. It will be most interesting to have three queens in Belgium.

God bless him, it can't have been an easy decision at all.

Well, congrats to the new King & Queen of Belgium and God bless King Albert II.

These Monarch's aren't fooling around about stepping down and passing the torch to the younger royals.

Last edited:
I'm thrilled with this news! Though I liked the current king and queen, I really like Mathilde more.

Like Priness Diana, she is a truly regal princess and she'll make a lovely Queen!

Philippe is very lucky to have her as his princess/queen.

I could not possibly agree more. Princess Mathilde is the gold standard of European princesses(imo of course) and will make a superlative queen.

The smartest move of Philippe's life was to marry her. ;)

The news of the abdication has of course also reached the foreign press.

The analazys for the abdication is here somewhat cynical: Skandale-kongen er abdiceret - Royale | www.bt.dk
That is that apart from the King's health, it's the upcoming trial in regards to the paternity issue of Delphine Boël, who seeks to be acknowledged as daughter of the King and also to recieve a status similar to the legitimate children. Which is the main reason for abdicating now. - As the article puts it: the trial may also have something to do with the fact the Delphine Boël was disinherited by the man, who is officially regarded as her father, Jaques Boël.
- That's all very juicy but I don't believe that would be reason enough for a king to abdicate. His health and age seem much more plausible reasons for me - and also that fact that Crown Prince Phillipe with CP Mathilde has a good age to take over. I.e. before he gets too old himself.

Anyway, here is a nice 14 pic gallery: Se billederne: Belgiens konge er gået af | www.bt.dk

Last edited:
There will also a big change in the royal family. Now, the royal family will be the king Albert, rhe queen Mathilde, rhe duchesse of Brabant, princess Elizabeth, princes Gabriel and Emmanuel and the princess Leonor. Now princess Astrid will be only the sister of the king and her children only the nephews of the king same thing for Laurent. There will be also the questions on the dotations to Astrid and Laurent.
yes, untill now the royal family was the king Albert and queen Paola and their children and grandchildren , now the royal family will king Philippe, queen Mathilde and their chidren.

Well it will give the government the opportunity to remove the dotages from Astrid and Laurent, and likely reduce amounts paid to Fabiola, Albert and the new king Philippe.

Wow really? So a new king is to come to the Belgian throne. Wonder why announce an abdication. I know it's probably sudden for phillippe but I'm sure he's prepared he is the crown prince afterall.

i'm very happy for belgium and the new king and queen!

will the abdication and coronation be similar to the dutch celebrations or more low key? (seeing they have less time to organise it) i hope we get to see all the royals reuniting in belgium to celebrate such a moment.

I am not surprised. I think given the people claiming to be his kids, his younger son's issues and foolish behavior, the fractions within his government about not having one for the longest time, the issues with the Dutch and French speaking parts arguing all the time... I think he has had it.

So until now there's Netherlands, Qatar, Belgium.... Who's next who's next?

I am looking forward to King Phillipe and Queen Mathidle and hope more "elderly" monarchs follow the example of Albert and Beatrix.

So until now there's Netherlands, Qatar, Belgium.... Who's next who's next?

Spain or Japan, I believe.

We'll not see abdications in the UK or in Scandinavia.

King Albert has done a magnificent job all these years. Even after the last scandals, I think he has been a good king for Belgium.

But I´m glad with his choice. He isn´t young anymore and Philippe has the perfect age. I´m pretty sure he will be a fine king. Good luck to him and Mathilde, can´t wait until see them as King and Queen!

After July 21st we'll have 2 Kings and 3 Queens in Belgium!
That's unique, no?

Combining everything on the 21st is a good thing in my opinion. All the military and politicians would allready be in Brussels for the National Day and thus much extra costs for a seperate abdication/enthronisation are avoided.

I'm looking forward to seeing Philippe and Mathilde for the first time after this news. I wonder if they will have a photoshoot with their kids as is tradition in the beginning of the summer.

I hope Albert and Delphine can find peace and understanding out of the limelight.

I think that if we'll have another abdication coming, it will be in Spain or Norway.

After July 21st we'll have 2 Kings and 3 Queens in Belgium!
That's unique, no?

Combining everything on the 21st is a good thing in my opinion. All the military and politicians would allready be in Brussels for the National Day and thus much extra costs for a seperate abdication/enthronisation are avoided.

I'm looking forward to seeing Philippe and Mathilde for the first time after this news. I wonder if they will have a photoshoot with their kids as is tradition in the beginning of the summer.

I hope Albert and Delphine can find peace and understanding out of the limelight.

I think that if we'll have another abdication coming, it will be in Spain or Norway.

The childern are on summer camp for the moment accoring to the media.
I hope they will still do the shoot. It are always fantastic pictures.

My vote is also on Spain. I think that would be a good move for Juan Carlos.

I think it's very likely that there will be abdications in the scandinavian countries as well. In Norway, the crown prince couples children are in school (not too small). In Denmark the crown prince has small kids, but they're likely done with having kids (Mary's almost 40 and they have four kids). In Sweden, I guess that Victoria and Daniel will have more kids, aka not a great time to take over the throne. If they had been on the same time schedule as the norwegian prince couple, I actually think that king Carl Gustav would have abdicated already.

So, yes, I think we will see abdications in the scandinavian royal houses over the next decade or so. In the UK? No way. That lady isn't going anywhere :)

I was very surprised to know King Albert is already 79 years old. Someone in that age should have a much more relax life, without so many obligations.
Concerning to other abdication, I was thinking in Spain it would cause a lot of debate and the talking that Monarchy is not necessary. But I think people in Spain can argue better about it.

Veering off the topic ... I do not see the abdication happening in Japan. There is no need for His Imperial Majesty to abdicate. Emperor Akihito has not expressed his wish to retire. When it comes to the Imperial family, the rules are set in stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom