King Albert II Announces his Abdication: July 3rd 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I greatly admire the King for his years of dedication and service. I hope Phillippe and Mathilde will make a great King and Queen.

:belgiumflag:

So is the abdication going to take place on July 21 or another day?

20 years on the throne

We are 200 people At the thread now

Do we know what title Albert II will take post abdication,apologies if this has already been asked and answered.

This is perfect! Maxima and Mathilde are very good friends, so Maxima is no longer alone among the senior royals at royal events. :)

Is there a thread about Albert becomming king the Events and all that

So is the abdication going to take place on July 21 or another day?

and will it be as big as in the Netherland with other royals attending? :) or will it be smaller and only with the belgium royals and people? :)

it will be on 20 or 21, that's not wholly clear. He spoke of 'King on 21st', but also that he will attend the festivities on 20 july with the new king and queen.
He also will stay king. Prince of Luik/Liège or Prince of Vlaanderen would be a problem (dividing of the public).

Oh, it's not about Boël, mostly because of health problems. And apparently they were planning this since a year.

I find it very surprising, I doubted if he would ever do it, but apparently he will. Philippe is not popular, but he won't be popular in ten years either if thing go on like is. Good that he gets the opportunity to prove everybody wrong.

I agree Marengo. I have always felt that Philippe is underrated and gets a bad rap. I would love for him to prove everyone wrong. And I have never had any doubt that Mathilde would make a superb queen.

But unless Albert and Paola intend to retire out of the country, it might be a bit awkward to have two dowager queens in the BRF...:ermm:

According to VTM Nieuws the abdication will be on the 20th or between the festivities of our National day on the 21st of july

and will it be as big as in the Netherland with other royals attending? :) or will it be smaller and only with the belgium royals and people? :)

No I don't think the Belgians have any ceremony other than bring sworn in before the Belgian parliament.

It is great that King Albert is allowed to abdicate/retire. I am sure Crown Prince Philippe is ready to assume his father's responsibilities.

Last edited:
Points from Prime minister di Rupo's statement:

- with regret we understood that the health of the king doesn't allow him to do his duty as he wants to. The government has respect for the decision, his sincerity and courage in this decision deserve our admiration. I want to thank him for his duties towards Belgium in the last 20 years.

More words of respect. His enthousiasm, empathy, humorand intellgence he fully became our king, even if he wasn't born to be one. His reign was characterized for by his interest for his fellow citizens.

(...)

we can rejoice that the change of the throne is in very different circumstances than 20 years ago. (...) Prince Philippe has prepared himself seriously, he has shown often how much he loves Belgium. He has the will to serve the country well. He can count on the support of the government. The government will start tomorrow the preparations for the abdication of 21st july. I hope that this day will be one of pride for this country and all its citizens.

Last edited:
What a time to have my first post. Considering this isn't the tradition in Belgium it has come as a bit of a shock. I wonder if the Belgians are equally as shocked?

The king Albert announced that he will abdicate on july 21th, he will be with the queen Paola near the new king and queen for the national fest. I think Philippe will become king the same day.

I heard the speech of the king , it was very moving.

No I don't think the Belgians have any ceremony other than bring sworn in before the Belgian parliament.
In 1993 the new royal Couple drove the short distance from the Royal Palace to the Parliament in an open Car and then back. Don't know if there was also an bigger route. And afterwards they appeared on the Balcony of the Royal Palace. And this time there should before it the actual abdication. Probably at the Palace.

The Prime Minister of Belgium is wearing a rather nice dicky bow!

A few months ago a lady in the public said to the king: 'I hope that you will stay on for a longer time'. The queen replied to this lady:'But he is already old, as old as the pope'.

The Prime Minister of Belgium is wearing a rather nice dicky bow!

I think he has been wearing them as long as he is in politics. I can't recall ever seeing him with a tie/ without a bow.

Last edited:
I'm thrilled with this news! Though I liked the current king and queen, I really like Mathilde more.

Like Priness Diana, she is a truly regal princess and she'll make a lovely Queen!

Philippe is very lucky to have her as his princess/queen.

But unless Albert and Paola intend to retire out of the country, it might be a bit awkward to have two dowager queens in the BRF...

It's not awkward at all. During the 60's there was two former consorts (Queen Elisabeth and the Princess de Rethy) and the new one (Queen Fabiola). The situation was even stranger with the former King and his Wife establishing a shadow court in Argenteuil...
Abdication in Belgium is not so unexpected as it seems....

Last edited:
A few months ago a lady in the public said to the king: 'I hope that you will stay on for a longer time'. The queen replied to this lady:'But he is already old, as old as the pope'.

I think he has been wearing them as long as he is in politics. I can't recall ever seeing him with a tie/ without a bow.

Indeed, he only wear bows.

In 1993 the new royal Couple drove the short distance from the Royal Palace to the Parliament in an open Car and then back. Don't know if there was also an bigger route. And afterwards they appeared on the Balcony of the Royal Palace. And this time there should before it the actual abdication. Probably at the Palace.

Lets hope that Philippe and Mathilde follow suit.

Paola said to a journalist that Albert is planning this longer than Beatrix had ...

The abdication was briefly mentioned on the BBC,I doubt it will even be mentioned on the Irish news!

I cannot say I'm surprised. I actually admire anyone who reaches a certain age to be capable to cede his place to someone younger and more capable both phisically and psychologically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom