General Questions and Informations about the Royal Family of Belgium

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MAfan

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
N/A
Country
Italy
Coat_of_arms_of_the_Royal_House_of_Belgium.svg
150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Royal_House_of_Belgium.svg.png

Welcome to the thread about general news and informations about the Royal Family of Belgium.

While posting, please remember to follow the TRF Posting Rules & Guidelines:
  • In order to legally post copyrighted material, you must obtain written permission from the copyright owner.
  • No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
  • It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
  • Hotlinking of content from other websites is not permitted.
  • We expect our members to treat each other with respect

The first question is who is considered a member of the Belgian Royal family . It may look like an obvious question, but Ithe answer is not clear since there is no official or semi—official definition of the Royal Family or the Royal House as in some other countries.

Constantinos and Achilleas are handsome young men. I hope they find their way marrying into ruling royal families or even defunct ones. I bet the Duchess of Brabant would [...]

The Greek RF is not close to the Belgian RF as far as I know.[...]

I don't find it impossible that the Duchess of Brabant might marry a commoner, but I wouldn't rule out someone from the Belgian nobility either or even someone from a former ruling family from Germany or Austria. Her family is quite conservative when it comes to acceptable grooms.

I wonder if the Royal Family routinely selecting spouses from noble family backgrounds could be explained by their social circles instead of or in addition to non-acceptance of commoners. Are there many commoners in their closest circle of friends? It is said that Philippe's commoner girlfriend was vetoed as a bride, but was there proof that her background was the cause? Princess Claire, Princess Léa, and Victoria Ortiz appear to be accepted by the family in spite of not having noble blood.

On the other hand, some families use a double standard and allow princes more leeway in "acceptable" spouses than princesses, or are stricter regarding consorts to heirs to the throne compared to spouses of other members of the family.

The first question is who is considered a member of the Belgian Royal family . It may look like an obvious question, but Ithe answer is not clear since there is no official or semi—official definition of the Royal Family or the Royal House as in some other countries.

For those who may not have seen it, the answer provided by the Court in 2013 may be read here: Questions fréquentes | Le 21 juillet 2013

It is not clear whether the answer from 2013 applies today, as the page has been taken down from the website.

Q: Quelle est la différence entre Maison Royale et Famille Royale ?

R: L'expression "Maison Royale" n'est pas utilisée en Belgique. On parle de la "Maison du Roi" pour désigner la Cour.

Tous les descendants de Léopold III et leurs époux légitimes font partie de la Famille Royale. Les membres de la Famille Royale qui exercent des tâches officielles peuvent se voir attribuer une "Maison", ce qui implique qu'ils bénéficient d'un soutien administratif et en personnel séparé au sein de la Cour. [...]​

Translation:

Q: What is the difference between the Royal House and the Royal Family?

A: The expression "Royal House" is not utilized in Belgium. One speaks of the "House of the King" to refer to the Court.

All of the descendants of Léopold III and their legitimate spouses are part of the Royal Family. The members of the Royal Family who perform official tasks may be afforded a "House", which reflects that they enjoy administrative support and separate employees within the Court. [...]​

Her family is quite conservative when it comes to acceptable grooms.

Princess Claire, Princess Léa, and Victoria Ortiz appear to be accepted by the family in spite of not having noble blood.

On the other hand, some families use a double standard and allow princes more leeway in "acceptable" spouses than princesses, or are stricter regarding consorts to heirs to the throne compared to spouses of other members of the family.

Princesses Marie-Christine and Esmeralda married men without noble blood, but neither husband appears to have a relationship with the royal family. In the case of Princess Marie-Christine's husband it is expected as she herself is estranged from the family, but Princess Esmeralda has been present at royal family events with her children but, if my memory serves me correctly, not with her husband.

Last edited:
New Book written by Brigitte Balfoort in Dutch : Prinsessen van Belgie :

Charlotte

Louise ,Stephanie and Clementine
Henriette and Josephine

Marie José

Josephine Charlotte
Marie Christine and Esmeralda

Astrid
Maria Laura , Luisa Maria and Laetitia Maria

Elisabeth and Eléonore

Louise

Delphine
Josephine

Last edited:
:previous:

Interestingly, two of the Princesses of Belgium were never known as such. By the time when the Royal Family adopted the title Prince and Princess of Belgium by Royal Decree in 1891 (previously they were only known as Princess Clémentine, Princess Henriette, etc., without any territorial designation), Charlotte and Stéphanie were widowed and were known by the titles of their husbands. (Stéphanie's sister Louise was married as well, but she eventually divorced.)

Why is it that all of the women who marry into the Belgian royal family give up their careers, even if they never become working royals?

Why is it that all of the women who marry into the Belgian royal family give up their careers, even if they never become working royals?

Did Elisabetta give up her career?

She worked for Bloomberg at least until 2017 (I can find articles written by her dated 2017). They were married in 2014. I am not sure if she continued after or does other work.

She seems to have. As with Princess Claire, she went on with her career for a short period after marriage, but apparently quit around the time of the birth of her first child, as an article on the birth mentions that she is a "former journalist". Her page on Bloomberg.com showed that she created less content after marrying, and it later was taken down.

But whereas Claire at least represented the monarchy on a part-time basis for years, Elisabetta and Léa have never been given any role by the king, and Elisabetta even lives in another country. That is why I am asking why all of the wives (but none of the husbands) have quit their jobs.

Last edited:
perhaps they dont want to work or dont need to work if they have marrired into great wealth....

A spring concert has been recorded at the Palace, due to the current virus situation without an audience:

** video **

I suspect it because, if Harry and Meghan are removed, every media outlet from here to Timbuktu will be screeching that they've been thrown out of the Royal Family.

That reminds me of how the King demoted his parents and siblings to Page 2 of the "Royal Family" page and completely removed his brother-in-law and sister-in-law, even though all are or were at least part-time working royals.

His decision was very unusual by the norms of European royalty. In every other one of the European kingdoms, daughters-in-law of monarchs have their own biographies on official websites, with or without being working royals: Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands, Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau, Princess Sofia of Sweden, Princess Marie of Denmark, the Countess of Wessex, the Duchess of Sussex.

I wasn't specifically talking about the National Défilé, but about the general treatment as sort of second class children, in comparison to Baudouin, Josephine Charlotte and Albert. And I don't think it is Philippe's responsibility now, this was something that Baudouin or Albert should have fixed years ago.

I would say their exclusion from official roles and funding was fair and reasonable given their constitutional position: they were barred from the succession to the throne by the unconstitutional marriage of their parents. Most other European monarchies denied royal titles to branches which were excluded from the succession, so their official treatment was in fact exceptionally "equal".

Were they treated as second-class children within the family? I was under the impression that in family life, they were welcomed by their older half-siblings.

Yes, not only was Philippe not the one in charge at the time, but Leopold's younger children never faced a word of controversy as to who their father was, nor were they ever denied princely status or a place in the royal family or a relationship with their older half-siblings.

So, no, they were not treated the same way as Delphine.

Surely the lack of controversy over their paternity, their birth in wedlock, their princely status, and their relationship with their older half-siblings would have made it more, not less, probable that they would be included in state events (which was the difference under discussion).

I am not sure it is accurate to state that Delphine was denied princessly status and a place in the royal family. My understanding is that at the time of her birth, there was no path in Belgian law to have her recognized as Prince Albert's legal daughter, even if he, her mother, and her then legal father had all wished for it. Once the courts conferred that status on her, decades later, she received princessly status from the courts with immediate effect.

Last edited:
Thank you, Tatiana Maria, for explaining that the reason for returning to the discarded "de Saxe-Cobourg" in 2015 was due to legal Belgian requirements for a surname, but I don't understand why "of Belgium" wasn't formalized instead, or something else like Windsor chosen altogether.

Since there isn't a specific surname thread, I tried to pick the best place to ask.

Since there isn't a specific surname thread, I tried to pick the best place to ask.

Over the past years we have been discussing surnames in the titles thread, as the subject of surnames and titles are so intertwined, especially in relation to the 2015 decree. So, I will reply to your post there. :flowers:

Unlike other countries, we never seem to hear about the opening of the Belgian Parliament. Does the King officiate at this?

Unlike other countries, we never seem to hear about the opening of the Belgian Parliament. Does the King officiate at this?

I've never heard of any specific ceremony to mark the opening of the Belgian Parliament, but Belgian members will certainly know more than I do

Was there a special ceremony held to mark King Philippe's 18th birthday?

Back
Top Bottom