The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-18-2020, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The Flemish economist Wim De Wurf wrote an open letter to the King, which was published via the VRT - the Flemish public broadcaster.

Mr. De Wurf claims that the King is the ideal person to lead the country towards reform. He holds a plea for the introduction of a commission that will renew Belgian democracy.

Quote:

Letter to the king: "I believe that you, sire, can lead our country in a better direction"

King Philippe must set up a Special Commission to fundamentally reform Belgium after the corona crisis. Only in this way can we break through the political impasse. Wim De Wulf writes this in this open letter to the king.

Sire
I am addressing you because the current drama can mark a pivotal moment in the history of our country. You can play an important role in this. After all, your leadership in recent years has shown that you know how to navigate well in our complex country.
The period after the corona crisis threatens to exacerbate the impasse in our country. As a world citizen, I am proud of Belgium and its renowned culinary delicacies, rich history and cultural achievements. The extensive language skills, the smooth adaptability of many inhabitants and so much more.

[…]
https://translate.google.com/transla...ning-opinie%2F

--
To put in context: the Corona crisis has started a small discussion about re-federalization in Belgium, as the crisis shows that the large amount of governments, ministers etc. in Belgium hampers the response.

Old 09-26-2020, 03:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Another step in the erosion of what once was a strong, stable and proud unitary Belgium: from October 1st on the Mayors are free to wear the traditional tricolore sash or opt for a Flemish sash instead. (In Belgium mayors do not wear silver or gold chains but a sash).

In the traditional tricolore sash there is already a subtle colour difference in the tassels: silver and white for the Dutch speaking part. Gold and read for the French speaking part:
https://www.mauquoy.com/sites/defaul...sition=elastic

Now the mayors are free to abstain from the tricolore sash (representing the national authority) and choose for a regional sash. Black and yellow for the Dutch speaking part, red and yellow for the French speaking part. It will look similar to the sashes of the schepenen/échevins (Aldermen) but with more elaborate tassels. These are the current sashes for Aldermen:
https://www.mauquoy.com/sites/defaul...sition=elastic

I find it a pity. When you go to France, from Maubeuge in the North to Montpellier in the South, all the mayors wear the same sash. When you go to Italy, from Bergamo in the North to Gallipoli in the South, all the mayors wear the same sash.

In the Netherlands it would be the same effect like dropping the strict requirement that one side of the central medal at the obliged silver mayoral chain must depict the Arms of the Kingdom.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:03 AM
Commoner

Now that it has been almost a year since Princess Elisabeth (The first 21st-century-born future monarch) has reached majority. Will she be the chosen one to unite Belgium?
-
I believe that Princess Elisabeth has a great impact on Belgian teens (No, not because of the speculation over her potential boyfriend). If all Belgian teens studied in the same school, Princess Elisabeth will be the head girl for sure. She'll be the one to lead every Belgian through example and action, and will definitely not let anyone split Belgium into two. As she has told her people in her speech, "this land can count on me".
-
Her coming of age has an immense meaning to the Belgium. The coming of a new era of unity the likes of which few throughout history have ever experienced before.
I'm looking forward to a new and rejuvenated Belgium, out of all the difficulties the nation is facing.
(No, she's not my crush. Not now, not ever.)