Funeral of Queen Fabiola: December 12, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This was not a state funeral but a national funeral.

What is the difference between a state funeral and a national funeral? In my book the state is the nation and the nation is the state... By the way the funerals of Claus, Juliana and Bernhard were no "State Funerals" either because it was not organized by the state but by the royal family itself.

:ermm::whistling:

Prince Laurent and his family is not at the church of Laeken!

The children won't be attending the Laeken ceremony?

Astrid's children are at the ceremony in Laeken.

The interior of Notre-Dame de Laeken is quite impressive,I often forget its a royal church.

Maybe Laurent and Claire went to Laeken to look after the younger children or to receive the (foreign) dignateries, who did not go to the church either but who will go to Laeken for the coffee table.

Last edited:
What is the difference between a state funeral and a national funeral? In my book the state is the nation and the nation is the state... By the way the funerals of Claus, Juliana and Bernhard were no "State Funerals" either because it was not organized by the state but by the royal family itself.

:ermm::whistling:

'State' refers to a sovereign political entity. 'Nation' means a community of people with a common culture and history. A 'state' may include different nations, as is the case of Belgium, whose population is divided into the Flemish, the Wallons and other minorities, each of whom would qualify as a 'nation' in itself.

Marie Esmeralda strongly resembles Lilian and is very pretty.

2 members of her staff.
It was absolutely beautifull and heartwarming what they said about their queen.

If anyone cares to take the time to translate the staff tributes for English only speakers, I would be forever grateful. The anecdotes are my favorite.

apparently not. not even Astrid children are there...aren't they?

Maybe the King and the Queen felt it would be too much for the children to bear. They are still quite young and very emotional.

The final Blessing is the Easter Blessing!

I must say, there is a lot of beauty in the starkness of having the coffin on the floor instead of elevated.

I think this ceremony is "adults only"? I don't see Laetitia either.

BTW: Laurent got wet at the entrance to the cathedral and I saw him coughing later, hopefully he won't catch anything again :unsure:

Maybe the King and the Queen felt it would be too much for the children to bear. They are still quite young and very emotional.

Yes that is the case. It would be to much for the children to also attend this ceremony, the actual one was already tough.

On twitter some tweets are saying that Prince Laurent might have been driven back to the Palace of Laeken to "welcome" the foreign royals.

BTW: A fake twitter account named "Koningin Fabiola" had made a very funny tweet. (Delete this section if you mean that it is not right for a funeral): "Is dat hier bijna afgelopen? Ik moet om 14u met Moeder Teresa naar de zumba."

https://twitter.com/FabiolaKoningin/status/543373210847571968

I really Wonder why Laurent wasn't present at the end.

On twitter some tweets are saying that Prince Laurent might have been driven back to the Palace of Laeken to "welcome" the foreign royals.

BTW: A fake twitter account named "Koningin Fabiola" had made a very funny tweet. (Delete this section if you mean that it is not right for a funeral): "Is dat hier bijna afgelopen? Ik moet om 14u met Moeder Teresa naar de zumba."

https://twitter.com/FabiolaKoningin/status/543373210847571968

That account exists for quite a time already. And is actually funny too :)

Thank you all for the different links to the funeral coverage.

Rest now, Queen Fabiola. God bless you.

Back
Top Bottom