Funeral of Queen Fabiola: December 12, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Empress Phara Diba of Iran is also present at the funeral of Fabiola in Brussels Cathedral.

I saw Margaret, Rashid from Marocco, Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn

Lots of bells clanging in Brussels ahead of the funeral Mass.

Have the Spanish Royal Family arrived? I haven't seen them...

deredactie and VTM are essentially the same broadcast.

Owowow the rain is slashing the royals listening to the Brabançonne....

Philippe looks wrecked, Mathilde looks pretty sad as well. He grabbed her hand so tight when they got out of their car :sad:

I noticed Princess Luisa Maria is missing today...probably busy with her finals

Everyone of the Belgium royal family is present except for Princess Luisa Maria who is currently studying in Canada.

Mathilde is really broken up

Okay, that is SOOO odd they put her casket on the floor.

Last edited:
Philippe looks wrecked, Mathilde looks pretty sad as well. He grabbed her hand so tight when they got out of their car :sad:

I noticed that too...he's really saying goodbye to a mother today. I'm so glad she was able too see him becoming king

It is a bit chaotic. The Belgian television is also not showing great camera angles and good lighting. It still misses some solemnity so far but maybe the Mass itself will change that.

Poor Queen Mathilde looks very upset and moved.

Mathilde is really broken up

Okay, that is SOOO odd they put her casket on the floor.

That was a special request of Fabiola herself, according to the VRT reporters. They also said that she selected way too many scriptures to be read and told the family that she trusted them to make a pick.

Service:

'High song'/prayer with the title 'hear, there is my love' as a reference to her being reunited with her husband/.

Piece from Bach's Mattheus Passion

The first reading is by a Spanish niece of the Queen, who married a Belgian. The theme of the reading was 'love'.

Second reading by Wilfried van Kerckhove, former honorary grand master of the house of Q. Fabiola, from the first letter of Paulus to the Corinthians.

'Exultate Jubilate' of Mozart by Sophie Kathauser

Hallelujah /Taize

Reading of the Beatudes of the gospel of St. Matthew

prayer

Taize

Sermon by Danneels. 'now is fabiola home, with God and her husband'

Pie Jesu from the requiem of Faure by Sophie Karthauser

Readings by Pss Elisabeth, Prince Gabriel, HGD Guillaume, Prince Amedeo, Pss Louise, a Spanish niece of Fabiola

"bist du bei mir" Bach by Jose van Damme

Pater Noster

Ave Maria

Laudate Dominum, Mozart

Faure

Amazing Grace

" La Salve Rociera" , a maria-song by Spanish choir from Vilvoorde, a niece of the queen will be singing along.

Will Tura " Hoop doet leven"

La Quete from the 'Man of La Mancha'

Fuga in D, Bach

Last edited:
Thanks so much, Marengo, for your guidance and information. It is greatly appreciated.

It's great to see Jean did make it.

Last edited:
My dear, was Gabriel crying?

Yes, queen Mathilde looked at him and I think she tried to comfort him. She's so sad, it even moves me to tears.

Did I see it right that princess Claire was alone when greeting the coffin? I saw him enter the cathedral, but that's all.

Oh my god, I've never saw my king so sad like that. Normally he's able to hide his emotions. He must have been so close with queen Fabiola!

Did I see it right that princess Claire was alone when greeting the coffin? I saw him enter the cathedral, but that's all.
I had exactly the same impression, Laurent and Claire entered together, but she appeared alone when bowing to the coffin.

Yes. Laurent entered but did not bow/acknowledge the coffin at the front.

Yes, queen Mathilde looked at him and I think she tried to comfort him. She's so sad, it even moves me to tears.

Oh my god, I've never saw my king so sad like that. Normally he's able to hide his emotions. He must have been so close with queen Fabiola!

Yes, I didn't see Laurent greeting the coffin, strange.
And children of Astrid also seem very sad, specially Maria Laura.

Gabriel is not sitting among his siblings...will he read a lecture?

I haven't seen the Prince and Princess of Ligne yet. Are they seated with the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg?

I suppose the Dowager Princess isn't present (which worris me about her healt) as she would be seated with her brother, Grand Duke Jean.

Gabriel is not sitting among his siblings...will he read a lecture?

Yes, he will, that's what the commentator said.
I might have been wrong, but now he is sitting among his siblings

Last edited:
They're doing a bit of Taizé before the gospel reading.

Edit: Is that the beatitudes?

Last edited:
Yes, he will, that's what the commentator said.
I got the impression Gabriel left because it was too much for him and he needed to get out of the camera lenses. Now he is back on his place. Goes to show how dearly they miss Fabiola.

I am surprised that there are also no candles besides the coffin, which is really a basic element in a catholic funeral.

Back
Top Bottom