Engagement & wedding of Pss. Alix de Ligne and Guillaume de Dampierre - Feb&June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cris M. could you find pictures of Alix parents's wedding SA Prince Michel and SAR Princess Eleonore ?

I spoke years ago to the Princess Alix de Ligne ans She was very proud about these 2 weddings.

One ot Princess Alix's Aunt married Peter Townsend 's Sun .

Last edited:
Very nice pictures of a Point de vue of the Past.

No King and Queen of the Belgians , no Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg but their Children.

The same will hapen this time.

Madame la Comtesse de Paris was everywhere welcome !

Where the Grand and Grand Duches really not present? Or is there only no pic of them in the Report. He was anyway the uncle of the bride.

It was a bit strange that the Grand-Duke was not there, as Princess Christine was his niece but okay... The pictures show how close the nobility still was (and is).

The website of Beloeil Castle says;

WARNING: the castle and park will be exceptionally closed from 13 till 22 june 2016.

So I think the Mariage and party's around it are in that time!

Château de Beloeil - Practical information

Of course I don't know for sure, but there's a chance you could be correct. Beloeil is a beautiful place, it would be lovely if the wedding or the wedding reception were held there.

their point de vue interview, which i summarised earlier on in this thread, confirmed that they would be marrying in june in beloeil.

No King and Queen of the Belgians , no Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg but their Children.

I'm sure the children of Princess Astrid will be in attendance. Maybe even Prince Laurent and Princess Claire, as she goes to Beloeil every year, as patron of the Amaryllis Festival.

I'm sure we'll see many of Grand Duke Henri's children, nephews and nieces, and certainly some of his siblings, probably Archduchess Marie-Astrid and Princess Margaretha and their husbands.

She sure was, and Madame was also a first cousin and close friend of the groom's father, the late Prince Pedro Henrique, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil.

Cris M. could you find pictures of Alix parents's wedding SA Prince Michel and SAR Princess Eleonore ?

I spoke years ago to the Princess Alix de Ligne ans She was very proud about these 2 wedding.

Only these two:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Gv_Brn7dYf4/TcamnS33OqI/AAAAAAAACJU/XrkwOdgfKsQ/s1600/D.+Eleonora.JPG

You can see other picture of their wedding in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLr8yor2AII

My parents attended the wedding in Rio de Janeiro, as my father was (and still is) a good friend of the Princess de Ligne's brother, Prince Fernando of Orleans-Braganza.

I also met the Dowager Princess when she came to Brazil in 2004. A very nice lady.

More pictures of Prince Antonio and Princess Christine's wedding:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/7d/19/30/7d193038a2c1666cc4ac0df1e893e6df.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/96/6b/01/966b0100cba155780bcbd11de198a4b8.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/fa/f6/f4/faf6f420952b1b6c19dab50113842a9c.jpg

The then HGD Maria Teresa was heavily pregnant, as Prince Guillaume was born a month later.

Last edited:
Very nice pictures of a Point de vue of the Past.

So from Luxembourg we can very probably expect Guillaume and Stephanie. But from Belgium? I don't think that Elisabeth and/or any of her siblings will appear by themselves. I think Princess Atrid's children are more likely to come.

Thank you so much Chris , a nice "c'est du Belge" also.
Princess Christine wore the de Ligne tiara as also her Aunt AD Yolanda of Habsbourg / born Princess de Ligne.
For Princess Eleonore no tiara but fowers.?

Last edited:
Thank you so much Chris , a nice "c'est du Belge" also.

You're welcome!

The first part is focused on Princess Christine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWn54Hta-ow

For Princess Eleonore no tiara but fowers.?

She said it was her choice not to use a tiara, and that it was her "last act of independence". Her sister, Princess Maria Thereza, married using their mother's Bavarian tiara.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hoEB-NB_J...Dona+Maria+Teresa+com+Jean+Hessel+de+Jong.jpg

Last edited:
So from Luxembourg we can very probably expect Guillaume and Stephanie.

Well,there is also a connection with Stephanie,as her grandmother Countess Beatrice de Lannoy was born Princess de Ligne.

Stephanie and Alix are second cousins once removed as Stephanie's grandmother Princess Beatrice was sister of Alix's great-grandfather Prince Eugene de Ligne.

I know it is too early but on what address is better to send greeting card?

I know it is too early but on what address is better to send greeting card?

I believe this is the best option. It's the address of the Chateau de Beloeil, where her parents live.

Rue Du Château 11, Beloeil 7970 Hainaut, Belgique.

Alternatively, you can also try the address of the Imperial House of Brazil, in São Paulo (Princess Alix and Count Guillaume live in Rio de Janeiro).

Rua Itápolis, 873 - Pacaembu, São Paulo - SP, 01245-000, Brasil

But Beloeil is definitely the best option.

:previous:

The photo accompanied their Point de Vue interview IIRC.

On the 19th, Princess Alix visited his uncles, Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, and Prince Bertrand, Prince Imperial of Brazil, in São Paulo, to present them her fiance, Count Guillaume.

Also present, Princess Alix's first cousins, Prince Rafael of Brazil and Prince Pedro Alberto of Orleans-Braganza.

https://scontent-gru2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=c02cc586413be16185ed533ac99c5084&oe=57A3083B

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1469767777_3c88482dbe4bf571037030a17421290d

https://scontent-gru2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=05db6a99041177cb397e5421b1335524&oe=57A45386

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd...._=1470093391_10ea1556153020d9f862dfc253b18ecf

Reactions: eya
Did they take the chance for asking Prince Luiz's formal approval of their marriage, to allow Alix to keep her Brazilian succession rights?

There's no information in that regard. But we'll know before the wedding, in less then two months. They gave her uncles the wedding invitations.

I'm quite curious to see who of them will be in attendance, though - given their age and/or health - it isn't very likely that the older uncles and aunt will attend, is it?

Prince Luiz (who'll be 78 in June) will defintely not attend, as he seldom leaves his home, due to his health problems. Prince Bertrand (75) is still very active and travels a lot around Brazil, the US and Europe, so he may attend. Princess Isabel (72), who's also Princess Alix's godmother, is also in poor health, so she may not attend.

The other two uncles over 70, Princes Eudes (77 in june) and Pedro (70) are also in general good health, so I believe they'll travel to Belgium to attend her niece's wedding.

Prince Antonio and Princess Christine will certainly attend. I believe the other uncles and aunt (Princess Maria Gabriela) will also attend, and Princess Maria Thereza already lives in Belgium.

Congratulations to Princess Alix and Count Guillaume!. When and where is the wedding?

Congratulations to Princess Alix and Count Guillaume!. When and where is the wedding?

They'll marry on June 18 (next month), at the Church of Saint-Pierre-de-Beloeil, near Princess Alix's childhood home, Chateau de Beloeil.

I wait very much for this wedding! Princess Alix to be a stunning no doubt bride!!!!

:previous: She is very beautiful and will surely make a stunning bride!

They'll marry on June 18 (next month), at the Church of Saint-Pierre-de-Beloeil, near Princess Alix's childhood home, Chateau de Beloeil.

Thank you for the information!

The Imperial House confirmed that the Prince Imperial Dom Bertrand will attend his niece's wedding. Prince Luiz will not.

Prince Antonio and Princess Christine are already in Europe with Princess Amélia (who lives Madrid) and Princess Maria Gabriela (who lives in Brussels). Prince Rafael will go to Europe next week.

There's no information if Princess Alix will keep her Brazilian dynastic rights.

The Imperial House confirmed that the Prince Imperial Dom Bertrand will attend his niece's wedding. Prince Luiz will not.

Prince Antonio and Princess Christine are already in Europe with Princess Amélia (who lives Madrid) and Princess Maria Gabriela (who lives in Brussels). Prince Rafael will go to Europe next week.

There's no information if Princess Alix will keep her Brazilian dynastic rights.

I was looking at the 1824 Constitution of the Empire of Brazil and what it said about succession to the Brazilian throne. Succession was hereditary on the legitimate descendants of D. Pedro I by male-preference primogeniture. Other than that, the only restrictions I could find on the text were:

1. The Emperor, prior to his enthronement, and the Heir Apparent, upon reaching the age of 14, had to take an oath to preserve the Roman Catholic faith.
  2. The Heiress Presumptive to the throne could not marry without the consent of the General Assembly (i.e. the Brazilian parliament).
  3. No foreigner could ascend the throne.
As you can see, the constitution said nothing about "equal" or "dynastic" marriages and did not even require the monarch's or parliament's consent for any person in the line of succession other than the Heiress Presumptive to get married. I don't understand then why the so-called "Vassouras branch" comes up with those alleged "imperial house rules" regarding royal marriages and "excludes" individuals from the "line of succession" based on so-called "rules" that actually have no legal basis in the imperial constitution.

PS: The text in the above-referenced link is written using 19th-century Portuguese spelling, which is quite different from modern spelling and, therefore, might not work well with Google Translator (i.e. the translator might not recognize words written in the old spelling).

Last edited:
I know the 1824 Imperial Constitution quite well, having studied it as a History professor and as a monarchist.

Even though there wasn't a constitutional requirement, during the Empire, members of the Imperial Family only married European royalty, with Emperor Pedro II himself rejecting the idea of his daughters marrying Brazilian aristocrats. After the republican coup d'état, Princess Isabel merely officialized this already existing custom as a House rule.

Also, jurists have pointed out that Articles 11 and 98 of the 1824 Imperial Constitution can be interpreted as allowing the Head of the Imperial House to create House rules. There's an excelent book on this subject, "A legitimidade monárquica no Brasil" (The monarchical legitimacy in Brazil), by Dr. Armando Alexandre dos Santos.

Back
Top Bottom