Death & Funeral of Princess Alix of Luxembourg, Dowager Princess of Ligne: Feb. 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did not see Grand Duke Henri's Children, nor Archduchess Marie Astrid and family..

Somebody ,
My english is not fluent , I should have said I presume their style and not their tittle . I don't even know the difference. Thanks for correcting. MO

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody ,
My english is not fluent , I should have said I presume their style and not their tittle . I don't even know the difference. Thanks for correcting. MO

In short, style is the '(Royal) Highness' and title is for example 'princess de Ligne'.

Your message was interesting as it indeed showed that they used their style while not using their title and in some daughters being addressed by their title (husband not mentioned) and others by their husband's. That part I still don't understand.

As the ruling houses of Belgian and Luxembourg appear extremely close, I am glad the former was able to send a representative to Princess Alix's funeral (and hopefully send one to the memorial service in Luxembourg).

I assume you meant to say that a princess keeps her style instead of her title? Because the above shows princess Yolande de Ligne as 'SA Mrs Hugo Townsend', not as 'SA princess Yolande de Ligne' and princess Eleanora as SAR instead of SA but combined with her husband's title, not her birth title.

Somebody ,

The style Highness generally (with rare exceptions) depends on a title, so the mention of the style shows that the title was kept, even if not shown. Belgian married women maintain their birth names and titles in legal documentation, even if they prefer to be referenced with their husbands' titles.

For comparison, take the earlier examples of Mathilde of Belgium and Alix of Ligne: They were generally called by the titles they acquired after marriage, but their birth titles were maintained.

The announcement from the Grand-Ducal Court of Luxembourg:

Décès de Son Altesse Royale la Princesse Alix - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Février 2019

Notice the Grand-Ducal Court styles her as "Her Royal Highness Princess Alix, Princess of Ligne, Princess of Luxembourg". It is the same as in the Belgian royal family (but different from the Dutch royal family): "Princess (First name)" is a titular dignity which is separate from "Princess of (Name of country)".

La Princesse Mathilde, Marie, Christine, Ghislaine, Comtesse d'Udekem d'Acoz, Duchesse de Brabant, Princesse de Belgique

Moniteur Belge - Belgisch Staatsblad

Two married princesses Anne and Sophie are shown without their husbands. In their cases their birth title is indeed mentioned, intead of being referenced as SA mrs Olivier Mortgat and SA countess Philippe de Nicolay. So, I'm not sure what to make of it. Why are all children-in-law mentioned except for these two sons-in-law?

It seems to be convention that divorcees in the Belgian nobility revert to using their birth names and divorced ex-children-in-law are not mentioned in announcements.

I could not find this thread. It is enlisted under Royal Family of Belgium, while Princess Alix de Luxembourg, de Nassau, de Bourbon de Parme has nothing to do with the Belgian royal family.

This is most likely because she was chiefly a Princess of Ligne, styled by her married title and based at the castle of the Ligne family. The Lignes are listed under Royal Family of Belgium as a Belgian noble family. :flowers:

I did not see Grand Duke Henri's Children, nor Archduchess Marie Astrid and family..

I wouldn't typically expect people to attend the funeral of their greataunt unles they have a close relationship. I would also have expected Marie-Astrid and Carl Christian to atend. Did you see Jean, Diane, Guillaume, Sibilla and all their paternal cousins (I don't think I would recognize most of the latter)?

The style Highness generally (with rare exceptions) depends on a title, so the mention of the style shows that the title was kept, even if not shown. Belgian married women maintain their birth names and titles in legal documentation, even if they prefer to be referenced with their husbands' titles.

For comparison, take the earlier examples of Mathilde of Belgium and Alix of Ligne: They were generally called by the titles they acquired after marriage, but their birth titles were maintained.
Wouldn't that generally be the rule? To me the weird part is the mixing of style and the way they are addressed, especially when not using a noble title at all. But this explanation makes sense, the style refers to the title that they decide to hide but still hold.

It seems to be convention that divorcees in the Belgian nobility revert to using their birth names and divorced ex-children-in-law are not mentioned in announcements.
Thanks for that update. Then it makes complete sense. I looked them up as I wondred whether they miht be divorced and couldn't find information on a divorce, which is why I referred to husbands.

Wouldn't that generally be the rule? To me the weird part is the mixing of style and the way they are addressed, especially when not using a noble title at all. But this explanation makes sense, the style refers to the title that they decide to hide but still hold.

Exactly; by the conventional rules of most of the royal and noble families of Europe, a married woman is addressed with her husband's title combined with the highest ranked style she holds (which may be the one attached to her husband's title or the one attached to her hidden birth title), but continues to hold both her birth and married titles even when not using them.

However, within the trends towards gender equality and marriage to commoners, it has become less rare that a married woman decides to be addressed with her birth title or style. For example, in 1991, the Belgian royal court ceased to address Princess Astrid as "Her Imperial and Royal Highness" and "Archduchess Astrid of Austria-Este" and began to address her as "Her Royal Highness" and "Princess Astrid of Belgium" (likewise with her children).

Princess Astrid of Belgium

Her Royal Highness Princess Astrid, Princess of Belgium, was born in Brussels on 5 June 1962. She is the second child of King Albert II and Queen Paola.

Princess Astrid | The Belgian Monarchy

The other members of the Royal Family are also attended by a staff for the functions they exercise in the name of the King, and fall under the various Households and Services: The Household of His Majesty King Albert, the Service of Her Royal Highness Princess Astrid and the Service of His Royal Highness Prince Laurent.

Royal household | The Belgian Monarchy

Also her sister-in-law Archduchess Yolande of Austria was in attendance.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see Laurent as the Belgian representative considering that he rarely attends events within his own immediate family! It was also nice to see that Jean could make it. Despite being less mobile than he was, he seemed well.

The Prince de Ligne (Michel) wore the Order of the Golden Fleece. His Father was also Knight of the Order. Only 3 belgian Noble Families are.

Great Royal/Noble Dignity Funerals of a beloved Mother , Grandmother ,Sister and more.
Prince Laurent is Prince Lamoral's friend.
They did well !

The Prince de Ligne (Michel) wore the Order of the Golden Fleece. His Father was also Knight of the Order. Only 3 belgian Noble Families are.

Was the late Philippe de Lannoy a Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece?

Was the late Philippe de Lannoy a Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece?

No, sixteen De Lannoys have been Knight in the Order of the Golden Fleece, but not the late Philippe de Lannoy. The last De Lannoy to have been ennobled into this Order was in 1744, when the Southern Netherlands were under Habsburg rule

Last edited:

That would be the Austrian (Habsburg) Golden Fleece of course, which some people see as the only legitimate successor to the medieval Burgundian order of the Golden Fleece.

Yes the Austrian Catholic Order. The King of the Belgians had the Austrian Order.
When King Juan Carlos came on Official Visit to Belgium he gave King Albert II the Spanish Order of the Golden Fleece. He is the only one who has the 2 Orders .

Interesting to see that Gabriella Habsburg-Lothringen is still together with the father of her child, Henri Bourbon.

Yes the Austrian Catholic Order. The King of the Belgians had the Austrian Order.
When King Juan Carlos came on Official Visit to Belgium he gave King Albert II the Spanish Order of the Golden Fleece. He is the only one who has the 2 Orders .

Had forgotten that the Austrian Order can only be bestowed on Roman Catholics unlike the Spanish one.

Had forgotten that the Austrian Order can only be bestowed on Roman Catholics unlike the Spanish one.

And, if I am not mistaken, it is only bestowed on males also.

The Spanish order was once also strictly for Catholics. I believe the Duke of Wellington was the first Protestant to receive the Spanish Golden Fleece.

Was King Philippe given the austrian Golden Fleece since his accession?

Was King Philippe given the austrian Golden Fleece since his accession?

Wasn't he bestowed the Order back in 2008?

Living members

The Duke of Bavaria (1960)
Count Johann Larisch of Moennich (1960)
Archduke Karl of Austria (1961) – Sovereign (Grand Master) of the Order since 2000
Archduke Andreas Salvator of Austria, Prince of Tuscany
Archduke Carl Salvator of Austria, Prince of Tuscany
Prince Lorenz of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este
Archduke Michael of Austria
Archduke Michael Salvator of Austria, Prince of Tuscany
Archduke Georg of Austria
Archduke Carl Christian of Austria
King Albert II of Belgium
Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg
Prince Albrecht of Hohenberg
The Duke of Württemberg
The Prince of Lobkowicz
Count Johann of Hoyos-Sprinzenstein
The Prince of Liechtenstein
Prince Clemens of Altenburg
The Duke of Braganza
Count Josef Hubert of Neipperg]
The Duke of Hohenberg
The Prince of Schwarzenberg (1991)
Archduke Joseph of Austria (born 1960)
The Prince of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg
Count Gottfried of Czernin of Chudenitz
Mariano Hugo, Prince of Windisch-Graetz
Baron Johann Friedrich of Solemacher-Antweiler
Baron Nicolas Adamovich de Csepin
Bernard Guerrier de Dumast (fr) (2001)
The Prince of Panagyurishte (2002)
The King of the Belgians (2008)
The Prince of Ligne (2011)
Prince Charles-Louis de Merode (2011)
Archduke Ferdinand Zvonimir of Austria
The Margrave of Meissen (2012)

Last edited:
Wasn't he bestowed the Order back in 2008?

Living members

The Duke of Bavaria (1960)
Count Johann Larisch of Moennich (1960)
Archduke Karl of Austria (1961) – Sovereign (Grand Master) of the Order since 2000
Archduke Andreas Salvator of Austria, Prince of Tuscany
Archduke Carl Salvator of Austria, Prince of Tuscany
Prince Lorenz of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este
Archduke Michael of Austria
Archduke Michael Salvator of Austria, Prince of Tuscany
Archduke Georg of Austria
Archduke Carl Christian of Austria
King Albert II of Belgium
Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg
Prince Albrecht of Hohenberg
The Duke of Württemberg
The Prince of Lobkowicz
Count Johann of Hoyos-Sprinzenstein
The Prince of Liechtenstein
Prince Clemens of Altenburg
The Duke of Braganza
Count Josef Hubert of Neipperg]
The Duke of Hohenberg
The Prince of Schwarzenberg (1991)
Archduke Joseph of Austria (born 1960)
The Prince of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg
Count Gottfried of Czernin of Chudenitz
Mariano Hugo, Prince of Windisch-Graetz
Baron Johann Friedrich of Solemacher-Antweiler
Baron Nicolas Adamovich de Csepin
Bernard Guerrier de Dumast (fr) (2001)
The Prince of Panagyurishte (2002)
The King of the Belgians (2008)
The Prince of Ligne (2011)
Prince Charles-Louis de Merode (2011)
Archduke Ferdinand Zvonimir of Austria
The Margrave of Meissen (2012)

Interesting that the Graf Czernin von und zu Chudentiz has been ennobled into the Order of the Golden Fleece. It seems that on his death bed Kaiser Karl demanded his former Minister of Foreign Affairs to be stripped of the Golden Fleece because of erratic and traitorous behaviour in the Sixtus Affair.

Interesting that this blame of treason did not block the Count Czernin von und zu Chudenitz to receive another Golden Fleece.

I saw a picture in Paris Match: Princess Yolande , Mrs Townsend presented her husband to Prince laurent. Hugo Townsend remain sitting and looked very frail.

I only spotted the Grand Duke in the photos, who else was there from the Grand Ducal Family at the Memorial Mass?

I only spotted the Grand Duke in the photos, who else was there from the Grand Ducal Family at the Memorial Mass?

Grand Duke Jean as well as Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Theresa were present IIRC; as were Princess Margaretha but they were the only ones I could find. The PM of Luxembourg was also there.

I did not see the Grand Duchess and no one of her Children.
The Prince and the Princess de Ligne , Prince lamoral de Ligne and Princess Sophie de Ligne. Next to Prince Guillaume and Princess Sybilla , Mrs de Podesta , born Princess of Hohenberg.

Grand Duke Jean as well as Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Theresa were present IIRC; as were Princess Margaretha but they were the only ones I could find. The PM of Luxembourg was also there.

I did not see the Grand Duchess and no one of her Children.
The Prince and the Princess de Ligne , Prince lamoral de Ligne and Princess Sophie de Ligne. Next to Prince Guillaume and Princess Sybilla , Mrs de Podesta , born Princess of Hohenberg.

This made me realise I now know An Ard Ri meant today's mass rather than the funeral - that was a poor mistake on my part!

Back
Top Bottom