The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Quick -in between- question: Why is Olympia not listed as countess? Her mother's cousins (Francois and Nicolay) are listed as counts and also have a (princess de Ligne and) count as father just like Olympia.
In French and similar nobiliary systems titles are often hereditary from male to male only:

For an example see Anne-Aymone Sauvage de Brantes (wife of former President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing). She is the daughter of the Comte de Brantes but is not styled comtesse de Brantes herself.

See Bernadette Chodron de Courcel (wife of former President Jacques Chirac). She is the daughter of the Baron de Courcel but is not styled baronne de Courcel herself.

See the mother of Delphine Boël. She is the daughter of the Baron de Selys Longchamps. In Dutch language sites I see her styled as barones, but in French language sites only as De Selys Longchamps, without baronne.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 9,984
Beloeil is one of the most beautiful and enchanting palaces I have ever seen....it reminds me of Versailles from.
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
In French and similar nobiliary systems titles are often hereditary from male to male only:

For an example see Anne-Aymone Sauvage de Brantes (wife of former President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing). She is the daughter of the Comte de Brantes but is not styled comtesse de Brantes herself.

See Bernadette Chodron de Courcel (wife of former President Jacques Chirac). She is the daughter of the Baron de Courcel but is not styled baronne de Courcel herself.
I believe the French system is different from the Belgian.

In the Belgian system hereditary titles are generally, albeit not in every case, hereditary from males to all their male and female children.

Take this 2001 Royal Decree for example in which then-Princess Mathilde is called
La Princesse Mathilde, Marie, Christine, Ghislaine, Comtesse d'Udekem d'Acoz, Duchesse de Brabant, Princesse de Belgique

Moniteur Belge - Belgisch Staatsblad
even though her father, not she, was awarded the title of Count in 1999.


I am less familiar with the French system, but my understanding is that French hereditary titles are generally (though likewise, not in every case) hereditary by male primogeniture. However, in practice, younger children are oftentimes styled with courtesy titles. In some families, this practice is extended only to sons and not daughters.


Quote:
See the mother of Delphine Boël. She is the daughter of the Baron de Selys Longchamps. In Dutch language sites I see her styled as barones, but in French language sites only as De Selys Longchamps, without baronne.
ETA: That is an interesting difference. Jacques Boël also appears to be styled without écuyer in French language sites. Do they perhaps simply rely less on titles?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:44 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 8,987
Young Alix - My God, how much she resembles Diana Spencer here!

Royal Musings
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-13-2019, 02:54 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I believe the French system is different from the Belgian.

In the Belgian system hereditary titles are generally, albeit not in every case, hereditary from males to all their male and female children.

Take this 2001 Royal Decree for example in which then-Princess Mathilde is called
La Princesse Mathilde, Marie, Christine, Ghislaine, Comtesse d'Udekem d'Acoz, Duchesse de Brabant, Princesse de Belgique

Moniteur Belge - Belgisch Staatsblad
even though her father, not she, was awarded the title of Count in 1999.


I am less familiar with the French system, but my understanding is that French hereditary titles are generally (though likewise, not in every case) hereditary by male primogeniture. However, in practice, younger children are oftentimes styled with courtesy titles. In some families, this practice is extended only to sons and not daughters.




ETA: That is an interesting difference. Jacques Boël also appears to be styled without écuyer in French language sites. Do they perhaps simply rely less on titles?

Most likely it indeed depends on the precize wording in Decrees of Nobility and/or the customs inside a family, I think. Emmanuelle de Dampierre (grandmother of Luis Alfonso de Borbón) was also never styled as vicomtesse de Dampierre, despite being the daughter of le vicomte Roger de Dampierre and of Vittoria dei principi Ruspoli.

Stéphanie de Lannoy and her sisters are indeed styled Comtesse de Lannoy :
https://www.inmemoriam.be/nl/2012-08...-saint-empire/
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-13-2019, 05:47 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,999
For all the Posters , I found the annoucement of Son Altesse le Prince (Antoine) de LIGNE who passed away in 2005.
You may see that in Belgium a Lady keeps her tittle she received by birth.

S.A. le Prince et S.A.R. la Princesse Michel de LIGNE
LL.AA. le Prince et la Princesse Wauthier de LIGNE
S.A. la Princesse Anne de LIGNE
LL.AA.RR. le Prince et la Princesse Antoine de ORLEANS e BRAGANCA
S.A. la Princesse Sophie de LIGNE
LL.AA. le Prince et la Princesse Lamoral de LIGNE
Mr. et S.A. Mrs Hugo TOWNSEND

Please , do not contest this , this is official.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-15-2019, 06:51 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,999
I wonder which Royal will attend the Funerals ?.
I suppose Grand Duke Henri , in name of his frail Father, the Grand Duchess MT if she is not in Paris.
Princesses Marie Astrid, Margaretha and Sybilla will attend.
The Hed Grand Dukes I am not sure.
A belgian Royal , I am not sure too.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-16-2019, 05:45 AM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 17,813
Galleries from the funeral today

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6456534

https://www.rexfeatures.com/set/10108462

The Grand Ducal Family was of course there, and Prince Laurent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I did not see Grand Duke Henri's Children, nor Archduchess Marie Astrid and family..
Archduchess Marie Astrid was attend

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DziQHaeX0AEvrlT.jpg

An interested full report for the funeral from the Royalement Blog:

https://t.co/TIMaxwGHwf
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:39 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
For all the Posters , I found the annoucement of Son Altesse le Prince (Antoine) de LIGNE who passed away in 2005.
You may see that in Belgium a Lady keeps her tittle she received by birth.

S.A. le Prince et S.A.R. la Princesse Michel de LIGNE
LL.AA. le Prince et la Princesse Wauthier de LIGNE
S.A. la Princesse Anne de LIGNE
LL.AA.RR. le Prince et la Princesse Antoine de ORLEANS e BRAGANCA
S.A. la Princesse Sophie de LIGNE
LL.AA. le Prince et la Princesse Lamoral de LIGNE
Mr. et S.A. Mrs Hugo TOWNSEND

Please , do not contest this , this is official.
I assume you meant to say that a princess keeps her style instead of her title? Because the above shows princess Yolande de Ligne as 'SA Mrs Hugo Townsend', not as 'SA princess Yolande de Ligne' and princess Eleanora as SAR instead of SA but combined with her husband's title, not her birth title.

Two married princesses Anne and Sophie are shown without their husbands. In their cases their birth title is indeed mentioned, intead of being referenced as SA mrs Olivier Mortgat and SA countess Philippe de Nicolay. So, I'm not sure what to make of it. Why are all children-in-law mentioned except for these two sons-in-law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
First Gallery from the funeral today

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6456534

The Grand Ducal Family was of course there, and Prince Laurent.
Glad to see that grand duke Jean was able to attend his sister's funeral. As siblings, he and sister Marie-Gabrielle were most likely the only ones who have known her her whole life.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-16-2019, 07:10 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 27,380
I'm also happy to see Grand Duke Jean present was surprised to see Prince Laurent at the funeral Mass.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-16-2019, 08:59 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,364
I could not find this thread. It is enlisted under Royal Family of Belgium, while Princess Alix de Luxembourg, de Nassau, de Bourbon de Parme has nothing to do with the Belgian royal family.

Good to see her brother, Grand-Duc Jean. Good to see Laurent, but he did no effort to honour the dresscode (jacquet).
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-16-2019, 09:05 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,999
I did not see Grand Duke Henri's Children, nor Archduchess Marie Astrid and family..

Somebody ,
My english is not fluent , I should have said I presume their style and not their tittle . I don't even know the difference. Thanks for correcting. MO
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-16-2019, 09:48 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 53,832
.

Here's another gallery of the funeral:


** gettyimages gallery **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Somebody ,
My english is not fluent , I should have said I presume their style and not their tittle . I don't even know the difference. Thanks for correcting. MO
In short, style is the '(Royal) Highness' and title is for example 'princess de Ligne'.

Your message was interesting as it indeed showed that they used their style while not using their title and in some daughters being addressed by their title (husband not mentioned) and others by their husband's. That part I still don't understand.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-16-2019, 10:02 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,565
As the ruling houses of Belgian and Luxembourg appear extremely close, I am glad the former was able to send a representative to Princess Alix's funeral (and hopefully send one to the memorial service in Luxembourg).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I assume you meant to say that a princess keeps her style instead of her title? Because the above shows princess Yolande de Ligne as 'SA Mrs Hugo Townsend', not as 'SA princess Yolande de Ligne' and princess Eleanora as SAR instead of SA but combined with her husband's title, not her birth title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Somebody ,
My english is not fluent , I should have said I presume their style and not their tittle . I don't even know the difference. Thanks for correcting. MO
The style Highness generally (with rare exceptions) depends on a title, so the mention of the style shows that the title was kept, even if not shown. Belgian married women maintain their birth names and titles in legal documentation, even if they prefer to be referenced with their husbands' titles.

For comparison, take the earlier examples of Mathilde of Belgium and Alix of Ligne: They were generally called by the titles they acquired after marriage, but their birth titles were maintained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The announcement from the Grand-Ducal Court of Luxembourg:

Décès de Son Altesse Royale la Princesse Alix - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Février 2019

Notice the Grand-Ducal Court styles her as "Her Royal Highness Princess Alix, Princess of Ligne, Princess of Luxembourg". It is the same as in the Belgian royal family (but different from the Dutch royal family): "Princess (First name)" is a titular dignity which is separate from "Princess of (Name of country)".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
La Princesse Mathilde, Marie, Christine, Ghislaine, Comtesse d'Udekem d'Acoz, Duchesse de Brabant, Princesse de Belgique

Moniteur Belge - Belgisch Staatsblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Two married princesses Anne and Sophie are shown without their husbands. In their cases their birth title is indeed mentioned, intead of being referenced as SA mrs Olivier Mortgat and SA countess Philippe de Nicolay. So, I'm not sure what to make of it. Why are all children-in-law mentioned except for these two sons-in-law?
It seems to be convention that divorcees in the Belgian nobility revert to using their birth names and divorced ex-children-in-law are not mentioned in announcements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I could not find this thread. It is enlisted under Royal Family of Belgium, while Princess Alix de Luxembourg, de Nassau, de Bourbon de Parme has nothing to do with the Belgian royal family.
This is most likely because she was chiefly a Princess of Ligne, styled by her married title and based at the castle of the Ligne family. The Lignes are listed under Royal Family of Belgium as a Belgian noble family.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-16-2019, 10:06 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I did not see Grand Duke Henri's Children, nor Archduchess Marie Astrid and family..
I wouldn't typically expect people to attend the funeral of their greataunt unles they have a close relationship. I would also have expected Marie-Astrid and Carl Christian to atend. Did you see Jean, Diane, Guillaume, Sibilla and all their paternal cousins (I don't think I would recognize most of the latter)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The style Highness generally (with rare exceptions) depends on a title, so the mention of the style shows that the title was kept, even if not shown. Belgian married women maintain their birth names and titles in legal documentation, even if they prefer to be referenced with their husbands' titles.

For comparison, take the earlier examples of Mathilde of Belgium and Alix of Ligne: They were generally called by the titles they acquired after marriage, but their birth titles were maintained.
Wouldn't that generally be the rule? To me the weird part is the mixing of style and the way they are addressed, especially when not using a noble title at all. But this explanation makes sense, the style refers to the title that they decide to hide but still hold.

Quote:
It seems to be convention that divorcees in the Belgian nobility revert to using their birth names and divorced ex-children-in-law are not mentioned in announcements.
Thanks for that update. Then it makes complete sense. I looked them up as I wondred whether they miht be divorced and couldn't find information on a divorce, which is why I referred to husbands.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Wouldn't that generally be the rule? To me the weird part is the mixing of style and the way they are addressed, especially when not using a noble title at all. But this explanation makes sense, the style refers to the title that they decide to hide but still hold.
Exactly; by the conventional rules of most of the royal and noble families of Europe, a married woman is addressed with her husband's title combined with the highest ranked style she holds (which may be the one attached to her husband's title or the one attached to her hidden birth title), but continues to hold both her birth and married titles even when not using them.

However, within the trends towards gender equality and marriage to commoners, it has become less rare that a married woman decides to be addressed with her birth title or style. For example, in 1991, the Belgian royal court ceased to address Princess Astrid as "Her Imperial and Royal Highness" and "Archduchess Astrid of Austria-Este" and began to address her as "Her Royal Highness" and "Princess Astrid of Belgium" (likewise with her children).
Princess Astrid of Belgium

Her Royal Highness Princess Astrid, Princess of Belgium, was born in Brussels on 5 June 1962. She is the second child of King Albert II and Queen Paola.

Princess Astrid | The Belgian Monarchy

The other members of the Royal Family are also attended by a staff for the functions they exercise in the name of the King, and fall under the various Households and Services: The Household of His Majesty King Albert, the Service of Her Royal Highness Princess Astrid and the Service of His Royal Highness Prince Laurent.

Royal household | The Belgian Monarchy
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-16-2019, 12:40 PM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 6,106
Also her sister-in-law Archduchess Yolande of Austria was in attendance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-16-2019, 05:28 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,018
I was very pleasantly surprised to see Laurent as the Belgian representative considering that he rarely attends events within his own immediate family! It was also nice to see that Jean could make it. Despite being less mobile than he was, he seemed well.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-16-2019, 05:28 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,999
The Prince de Ligne (Michel) wore the Order of the Golden Fleece. His Father was also Knight of the Order. Only 3 belgian Noble Families are.

Great Royal/Noble Dignity Funerals of a beloved Mother , Grandmother ,Sister and more.
Prince Laurent is Prince Lamoral's friend.
They did well !
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Death & Funeral of Prince Henri, Count of Paris - 21 Jan. / 2 Feb. 2019 eya Royal Families of France 213 04-02-2019 07:56 AM
Prince Michel of Ligne and Princess Eleonora of Orléans-Bragança - 10 March 1981 claypoint2 Weddings: Non-Reigning Houses & Nobility 3 07-14-2018 09:26 PM
Engagement & wedding of Pss. Alix de Ligne and Guillaume de Dampierre - Feb&June 2016 Cris M Royal Family of Belgium 151 07-30-2016 08:12 PM
Dowager Empress Cixi by Jung Chang CarolynHarris Royal Library 2 01-02-2014 03:29 PM
Death of Comtesse Alix de Lannoy: August 26, 2012 Stefan Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie and Family 141 09-05-2012 11:46 AM




Popular Tags
abdication american history anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones belgian royal family bridal gown canada castles chittagong clarence house coronavirus cover-up danish history dna dubai dutch dutch history dutch royal family edo family tree fantasy movie foundation future genealogy henry v hill house of bourbon house of saxe-coburg and gotha imperial household introduction italian royal family japan jumma kent king salman languages list of rulers lithuanian castles mail maxima memoir monaco history nepal nepalese royal family nobel 2019 northern ireland palaces prince daniel queen maud royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding royal wedding gown saudi arabia serbian royal family settings spain spanish history startling new evidence stuart swedish royal family swedish royalty thai royal family tips tracts united kingdom visit from sweden von hofmannsthal


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×