Costs and Finances of the Belgian Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's not really fair. Basically they take with one hand and give with another. If Elsabeth chose to go to school and take a paid profession, she would not receive any dotation since she would be paid by her job. I don't think that they should have the right to do that. She would probably continue to represent her country as crown princess until she became queen, but what if she wanted a job other than that? They are basically telling her that she can't...

I agree with publish the expenses, it's right if they're paid with taxes; but I don't agree with reducing the number of Princes to whom give the dotation.

It is rather unfortunate that the Belgian government creates an ambiguous situation regarding dotations.

Apparently, according to a research, 1 out of 3 Belgians thinks all funding of the Royal family must be abolished. For them, the new rules are not strict enough. They wouldn't mind to see the Royal family to be stripped of all their dotations, even the King and Queen.

Reason for this, according to the research, is that more and more Flemish people are Flemish-oriented, and would rather see Belgium split. They see the royal family as a big obstacle for the split. In times of economic hardship, the question also arises where the money goes. The coverage of royal activities is not always what it should be in Belgium, and people do not know what exactly they do or mean for the country.

See here for an article (in Dutch)

Of course most of them don't stop to think a President and Vice-President cost a lot of money as well - possibly even more than the royal family costs the Belgian tax payer right now. They also don't stop to think about the high regard a royal family still enjoys abroad, and the many doors economic missions etc lead by a member of the royal family might open.

Some people are just so narrow-minded...

What are the Belgian Royal Family considered? Are they seen as not being Flemish? Are they seen as outsiders?

It is interesting to hear about how the people themselves regard the royal family. I am an outsider, so of course my opinion isn't valid. I do come from a country without a monarchy, and I must say that financing a president and numerous other politicians is incredibly expensive. Elections are also expensive, and politicians don't bring in tourism revenue nor do they foster a sense of cultural pride (usually it is the opposite). Have the BRF released a statement regarding this research?

Apparently, according to a research, 1 out of 3 Belgians thinks all funding of the Royal family must be abolished. For them, the new rules are not strict enough. They wouldn't mind to see the Royal family to be stripped of all their dotations, even the King and Queen.

Reason for this, according to the research, is that more and more Flemish people are Flemish-oriented, and would rather see Belgium split. They see the royal family as a big obstacle for the split. In times of economic hardship, the question also arises where the money goes. The coverage of royal activities is not always what it should be in Belgium, and people do not know what exactly they do or mean for the country.

See here for an article (in Dutch)

Of course most of them don't stop to think a President and Vice-President cost a lot of money as well - possibly even more than the royal family costs the Belgian tax payer right now. They also don't stop to think about the high regard a royal family still enjoys abroad, and the many doors economic missions etc lead by a member of the royal family might open.

Some people are just so narrow-minded...

Indeed, a lot of angry, bored people around as everywhere I suppose.
And they don't care to use their brain and think that a republic costs more money, no instead they are just jealous of anybody who earns more money, who is more succesful, who has a bigger car etc and they ang, nag, nag, nag and nag.

sgl said:
What are the Belgian Royal Family considered? Are they seen as not being Flemish? Are they seen as outsiders?

Not as outsiders but definately not as Flemish either.

So are they seen as being more French than Belgian? I am curious as to why the public doesn't feel they are "of the people". Is this due to a language issue, or have laws been passed that favor the French-speaking Belgians more than the Flemish Belgians?

But I'm sure that when a Belgian Prince or King would behave and speak as a "true" Flemish, the French-speaking belgians would soon begin to protest in the same way Flemishes are doing now and since long time...

LadyLeana, (wonderful avatar) , you are right some people are just narrow minded.
When The King of the Queen or other members of RF are visiting the flemish part of Belgium they don't need special bodyguards , but are respectfully and warmly welcomed.
The whole country regret that the minor royals do not have a payed job.; times are difficult for everybody nowadays!

So are they seen as being more French than Belgian? I am curious as to why the public doesn't feel they are "of the people". Is this due to a language issue, or have laws been passed that favor the French-speaking Belgians more than the Flemish Belgians?

I certainly think many Flemish people feel like that, but the language politics is very complex, and also not really a subject matter here. When people have to give and take in a compromise situation, sometimes they only focus on what the other is taking, and not what they are getting in return. Unfortunately this has been the tendency amongst the media and political parties the last few years.

I don't think it's anything against the royal family as persons, more against what they represent - Belgium. On top of that, we have a Queen who doesn't speak Dutch very well, and our Princes and Princesses are not that much better. Not when you compare Maxima to Mathilde, for instance.

But maria-olivia is also right: whenever the royal family is on a visit somewhere in Flanders, they are welcomed very warmly. Don't forget, if 1 out of 3 Belgians is against the Royal family (because that's basically what it's about, not really the money), this means 2 out of 3 are still in favour.

Also, I have no idea how representative the study is, really. You only read about the generalizations, not the absolute figures. Besides, I wonder if anyone thought of saying this, but the current cost of the dotations for the royal family comes down to about 1 EUR per Belgian (not taxpayer, that would probably go up to 1,5 or 2 EUR) per year. How is this expensive, exactly?

Last edited:
When you break down the figures, 1 EUR per person is not at all unreasonable. If Belgium did away with the monarchy, people would still complain about the costs of government. It is inevitable, and people always find something to complain about.

Besides, the people who conducted the study would be out of a job if people weren't complaining about something.

I hope it's true that 2 out of 3 Belgians support the monarchy. Other surveys seem less promising. I think the Belgian royals are great!! I hope they're around for a long time. Vive la Reine Elisabeth!!

Is it known if Astrid and Laurent have to pay staff and other expenses related to their duties out of their incomes? If so, then they're really not so well off. Princess Benedikte of Denmark receives a much lesser allowance, and it is expressly given to her to cover the travel and other things necessary to fulfilling her official obligations.

In the budget for 2011 most members of the royal family will receive less money. The king's budget will stay the same but the dotation for Queen Fabiola, prince Filip, princess Astrid and prince Laurent will decrease with 1.4%. For Fabiola that will mean 20.000 euros less, for Filip 13.000 euros less and for Astrid and Laurent both 4000 euros less. This was already decided in 2009 btw.

source: het gazet van antwerpen

According to the late king Boudouin started a fund to help his nieces and nephews (the Belgian, Luxembourg and Mora- ones) financially . The children of his half siblings were excluded from the fund. Just efore his death, the king started the Foundation Astrida in March 1992.

Boudewijn richtte fonds op 'om neven en nichten te helpen' - Binnenland - De Morgen

The fund was created to help his nieces and nephews to develop themselves in religious, artistic, scientific and pedalogical matters. Another purpose was for them to get settled in life.

The fund had 1.37 million euros. Most of the fund has been spent on travelling costs though.

Are the children of his half-siblings specifically excluded, or are they excluded just because they were not born yet (as only Princess Esmeralda has children, born in 1998 and 2001, years after Baudouin's death)?

Mora? Is that Queen Fabiola's side of the family? That was kind of the King. I'd also like to know about the exclusion of his half-siblings' children. I guess one way to find out would be to see if he had other nieces and nephews born after his death and whether they are eligible for funds.

Are the children of his half-siblings specifically excluded, or are they excluded just because they were not born yet (as only Princess Esmeralda has children, born in 1998 and 2001, years after Baudouin's death)?

The article implied that they were excluded due to the old Lilian vs. de rest vendette. But your 2nd explanation seems more likely.

Esmerelda said:
Mora? Is that Queen Fabiola's side of the family? That was kind of the King. I'd also like to know about the exclusion of his half-siblings' children. I guess one way to find out would be to see if he had other nieces and nephews born after his death and whether they are eligible for funds.

Yes, it is Queen Fabiola's nieces and nephews. She was/is close to (some of) them.

Princess Astrid offers to justify her allowance < Belgian news | Expatica Belgium

Apparently Princess Astrid has said she would happily provide more clarity on how she spends her public money.

Princess Astrid told 'Royalty' that she understood demands for checks and transparency. By offering to provide greater clarity the princess hopes to remove distrust about the allowance system.
The Princess Astrid receives some 320,000 euros (273,000 pounds sterling) annually from the public purse. She insists that the money goes to good causes and causes that benefit well-being in Belgium.

Princess Astrid offers to justify her allowance < Belgian news | Expatica Belgium

Apparently Princess Astrid has said she would happily provide more clarity on how she spends her public money.

Princess Astrid told 'Royalty' that she understood demands for checks and transparency. By offering to provide greater clarity the princess hopes to remove distrust about the allowance system.
The Princess Astrid receives some 320,000 euros (273,000 pounds sterling) annually from the public purse. She insists that the money goes to good causes and causes that benefit well-being in Belgium.

It would also be kind if there was to be more clarity in the wages of the THREE goverrnments in a country 3/4 the size of mine...One government for Wallone-,one Flemish and one for Brussels...PLUS a national government...?I mean...is it all for nothing,all volunteerwork by these funny people.?..I don't think so.....Except Di Rupo btw..I haven't really seen one other in the four governements that is worthwhile...Total and utter waste of money...Compared to that the apanages of the Belgian RF is total peanuts...Allthough..I am all for stopping the apanages for Laurent and Astrid,only for Filip & Mathilde and TM,no freeloading by anyone...I think the Dutch RF is exemplary in that and it wouldn't hurt at the neighbours either...Mind you,nothing against Astrid,great woman,nor against Laurent...who I think adds some colour in the couleur locale and is I think a nice man at heart with a wonderfull wife & family!...Still....

Lucien, I agree with you ,your Royals the unfortunate Prince Friso , Prince Constantijn and the 4 Van Vollenhoven are working.

In Belgium I heard that members of RF may not work to protect the RF. Our RF and their staff have middle-age reactions. Princesses Mathilde and Claire were working before their engagement !

Is it income tax on government allowances each member gets? If yes, I am not surprised with this development.

Last edited:
I think the changes are fair for a monarchy in this day and age.

More info from standaard.be: (google translate)

Especially Queen Fabiola must return as the royal endowments be reformed. The majority parties reached an agreement Wednesday on the reform in the Implementation Committee for the State Reform. The number of beneficiaries is reduced, and the members of the royal family must now also pay taxes. Monday already got the lines of reform known. Now, more specific calculations.

In the future, the siblings of the heir to the throne no longer entitled to a grant. That's just not reserved for the heir apparent, the widow or widower of the deceased monarch or the heir to the throne, the king who prematurely functions dough and his surviving spouse (o) t (e).

The addition is in the future of two parts: one part 'fee', and another part 'operational and personnel. The fee must be paid personal income. The members of the royal family must now also pay VAT and excise duties. This means that the net amount of allocations to all members of the royal family fall.

Who gets what?

The addition of Queen Fabiola, the widow of King Baudouin, early this year, after the hoopla surrounding its foundation, been reduced to no more than two-thirds of the grant from the Crown Prince. These arrangements are maintained, according to the statement of the Prime Minister. But the Compliance Committee now proceeds: after 10 years of widowhood, that amount is reduced to half of the grant from the Crown Prince. Heard that news agency Belga from multiple sources.
In addition, part of the amount - at the level of the wages of the state board or 90,000 euros - subject to tax on personal meaning that is due. The rest is considered as compensation for operating and other expenses.
Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent get a grant today and will retain that as a transitional measure. But in their case, they have to pay on the part of their allocation corresponding to the income of a state council taxes.
Crown Prince Philippe, who receives a higher allocation, will have to pay personal income tax on that portion of its endowment that twice the fee amounts to a state board.
This reform of the allocations of the royal family is the most important since the creation of the Belgian monarchy, says Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo in a statement. The reform makes the system more modern and transparent, the government said

King Albert Is paid by the "civil list", which is now 11.5 million.
Queen Fabiola
371,000 euros for operating costs
A (taxable) salary of 90,000 euros, which in the region of 36. 000 taxes goes off.
Prince Philippe
743,000 euros for operating costs
A (taxable) salary of 180,000 euros, which is in the region of 73. 000 taxes goes off.
Prince Laurent
217,000 euros for operating costs
A taxable salary of 90,000 euros, and why to go off charges 33,000 euros.
Princess Astrid
230,000 euros for operating costs
A taxable salary of 90,000 euros. How much it goes off depends on the financial situation of her husband Lorenz.
From now on the queen and the princes also pay VAT and taxes on all purchases.

Last edited:
cdm said:
the king who prematurely functions dough and his surviving spouse (o) t (e).

this smells of abdication IMO

And it is good that they start paying taxes, it will make them look "cleaner" in the eyes of the people and will strenghten the monarchy.

this smells of abdication IMO

And it is good that they start paying taxes, it will make them look "cleaner" in the eyes of the people and will strenghten the monarchy.

Well you were right, I'm sure these new measures were put in place with at least a small inkling that Albert wanted to abdicate at some point.
What will Albert and Paola get after the abdication?
Will Astrid and Laurent keep their donations?

Always curious how people keep going after the costs of a monarchy while it is proven that republics are more expensive and 'make' less money than a monarchy. It is all right if people are republican and such, but IMO the argument of 'costs' is falsifying the debate.

Republican governments do cost plenty, but at least only the President and Vice President are paid salaries. The rest of their families don't get a salary, although I believe that the First Lady and Second Lady (the spouses of the President and Vice President) have staffs.

(I have no idea why the spouse of the Vice President needs a staff.)

In short, if only the person holding the office can get a salary in the US, I don't think that it's unreasonable for only the King to get a salary, but not the rest of the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
most other senior royal family members do their share ,more or less, to represent the families in various ways...patronages, over seas royal events and likely other things. if this is their job, of course they need to be paid and they have to maintain a certain quality of up keep to these things appropriately.

But isn't the King paid enough to support his family?

If not, that's a problem.

However, especially in these days of tight budgets, kings and queens need to be super-sensitive about the concerns of taxpayers.

I'm a big supporter of monarchy in general, since it gives countries non-partisan heads of state and takes politics out of government where politics doesn't belong, but I'm not a supporter of just paying people to live lavishly off of tax dollars, and I don't see why anyone should support doing so.

Last edited:
paying all the senior working royals enough to pay their servants, keep their usually old manors livable, travel/clothing/possibly entertaining expenses, appropriate schooling for the children as well as doing those things for his own family out of his own pocket would not be feasible for most monarchs in this day and age. that's why some paring down has occurred and is occurring so the burden on the government and taxpayers is not so heavy.

Regering komt met gedragscode koninklijke familie

The members of the royal family have a code of conduct in exchange for keeping their endowment. This is contained in a bill from the federal government that regulates their income. The code is inspired by the conditions that Prince Laurent was imposed after a controversial trip in Congo.

Hopefully no more overseas trips for Laurent or he may end up with nothing!

Back
Top Bottom