Belgium's National Day - 21 July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johann

Courtier
On July 21st Belgium celebrates its National Day.

According to the court Princess Elisabeth (4) is joining the “Belgian Royal Family Team”. Elisabeth will be celebrating the Te Deum on National Day (July 21st) in Brussels St. Michael and St. Gudula-Cathedral. She will be accompanied by her grandparents King Albert II. and Queen Paola, her parents Mathilde and Philippe and Queen Fabiola. (monarchie.be)

Programm
July 20th:
The royal family (King Albert, Queen Paola, Queen Fabiola, Prince Philippe, Princess Mathilde, Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz, Prince Laurent and Princess Claire) will attend the concert offered by the Queen Elisabeth Competition and the National Orchestra at the Palais des Beaux Arts in Brussels

July 21st:
10h: Celebration of the Te Deum
Albert, Paola, Fabiola, Philippe, Mathilde, Elisabeth – St. Michael and St. Gudula cathedral Brussels (King Albert moves afterwards to the Saint-Jacob church in Brussels to inaugurate a commemorative plaque in remembrance of the sweering the oath by King Leopold I. in 1831)
Astrid – St. Pieters Church Leuven
Laurent and Claire – St. John the Baptist church Waver

15h: military parade in Brussels in the presence of the royal family

late afternoon: Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde move to the Warandepark in Brussels to visit Olympicnic, a project of the Olympic Health foundation and the royal association for the promotion of Brussels.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to it! It will be great to see Elisabeth at the celebration of the Te Deum! :)

Thanks for the information Johann! I'm glad Elisabeth is slowly integrated in public royal life. We love to see her, but it's very understandable her parents don't want her exposed to the media and its pressure too soon.

Here are the links to the national day threads of the previous years:

2004 http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f29/belgium-s-national-day-2004-a-2991.html?highlight=national+day

2005 http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f29/national-day-2005-a-6499.html?highlight=national+day

To be honnest, I feel a bit sorry for the little Princess Elisabeth. Being four years old and have to attend such a ceremonious event. [She probably will be the only child in the Cathedral, am I right?] O.K people love to see her, and being the future Crown Princes of Belgium she has to get used being in the spot-lights, but personaly I had wished her a lighter event to start her career.

Well she goes to church each Sunday with her parents. This ceremony is a bit more official yes, but doesn't last longer than a normal mass, so she should be quite used to it.

BTW this isn't a "career", this is her life.

that great news for Elisabeth going with parents and grandparents FINALLY! but she is 4 years old

King Albert II of Belgium delivers his traditionnal speech, Thursday 20 July 2006, in the Royal Palace of Brussels, on the eve of the Belgian National Day

from terra and belga

Attachments

• 62.jpg
    62.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 349
  • 61.jpg
    61.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 358
  • p4637718.jpg
    p4637718.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 381
  • p4637719.jpg
    p4637719.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 345
  • p4637723.jpg
    p4637723.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
King Albert II's speech in Dutch:

De jongste maanden werd België opgeschrikt door meerdere tragische daden van geweld die alle bewoners van ons land fel hebben geroerd en geschokt. De Koningin en ikzelf staan erop de zwaar getroffen families nogmaals onze warme sympathie te betuigen.
De autoriteiten die met die pijnlijke feiten werden geconfronteerd hebben ieder binnen de eigen verantwoordelijkheid, snel en adequaat gereageerd om de veiligheid te doen toenemen en gerechtigheid te laten gelden.

Deze afschuwelijke gebeurtenissen stellen aan ieder van ons diepgaande vragen over onze samenleving. Ik meen dat het onontbeerlijk is dat we de basiswaarden van het gezin, van de zorgzame solidariteit, van het respect voor de andere en van de verdraagzaamheid terug op de voorgrond plaatsen. Het zijn trouwens die waarden die duidelijk werden uitgedragen bij elke mars tegen geweld.
De waardige manier waarop de getroffen families met hun harde beproeving omgaan maakte indruk en deed respect en bewondering ontstaan.

Op onze Nationale Feestdag zou ik U willen spreken over een opdracht die van essentieel belang is voor onze Europese samenleving. Het gaat over het scheppen van duurzame banen dankzij innovatie.
De wetenschappelijke vooruitgang, onder meer in de informatie- en communicatietechnologie, maar ook op het vlak van de energie en de biotechnologie, versnelt buitengewoon. Die vooruitgang is een bron van innovatie voor de economische activiteit, ook in de zogenaamde traditionele sectoren. Europa moet ten volle inspelen op die revolutie, want zij is bepalend voor de werkgelegenheid van morgen. Met dat doel voor ogen heeft de Europese Unie, in het jaar 2000, de strategie van Lissabon ontworpen. Die strategie beoogt van ons continent, in 2010, de meest gevorderde kenniseconomie van de wereld te maken. In dat verband zou ik, wat België betreft, drie implicaties willen onderstrepen. Vooreerst het onderzoek, daarna de opleiding van wetenschappers, en tot slot de talenkennis.

Vandaag, vormt het onderzoek, samen met innovatie, de basis voor de ontwikkeling van de ondernemingen en van de tewerkstelling van morgen. De Europese Unie heeft haar leden ten doel gesteld 3 procent van hun bruto binnenlands product aan te wenden voor onderzoek en innovatie. Met ongeveer 2 procent heeft ons land nog heel wat inspanningen te leveren. Niettemin hebben de Gewesten, de Gemeenschappen, de Federale regering en de privé sector reeds belangrijke initiatieven genomen. Op Federaal vlak, bijvoorbeeld, zijn er fiscale maatregelen getroffen ten bate van de vorsers, en wordt een actieplan toegepast om de federale wetenschappelijke instellingen te versterken. Van hun kant hebben de Gewesten en de Gemeenschappen de budgettaire middelen bestemd voor onderzoek en innovatie verhoogd en prioriteiten vastgelegd.

De jongste maanden heb ik meerdere centra bezocht waar toponderzoek op internationaal niveau wordt gevoerd. Ik denk onder meer aan het Interuniversitair micro-elektronica centrum IMEC te Leuven, en aan het centrum voor nanotechnologie van de KUL. Ik denk ook aan de Biopole van de ULB te Charleroi, aan het Studiecentrum voor Kernenergie te Mol, en aan het Instituut voor Cellulaire Pathologie Christian de Duve op de UCL.
Onderzoek op hoog niveau verdient in toenemende mate ondersteuning.

Ons tweede aandachtspunt betreft de vorming van wetenschappers.
Ter gelegenheid van mijn talrijke contacten met vorsers, met verantwoordelijken van het Nationaal Fonds voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek en van het Francqui Fonds, hebben zij mijn aandacht gevestigd op een belangrijke evolutie. Het gaat om de stagnatie en in sommige gevallen om de zorgwekkende vermindering van het aantal studenten die een wetenschappelijke carrière of die van ingenieur ambiëren, hoewel de vraag naar deze gediplomeerden steeds groter wordt.
Ik wens dan ook alle jongeren, die daarvoor aanleg hebben, aan te moedigen om wetenschappelijke studies aan te vangen. Ik meen trouwens dat men jongeren nog meer attent moet maken op de boeiende mogelijkheden die hun op dat vlak worden geboden, en hoe ze op die wijze actief kunnen bijdragen tot nut van de hele samenleving.
In die zin werden er reeds gelukkige initiatieven genomen. Zo verheug ik me erover dat de Descartes-prijs van de Europese Commissie werd toegekend aan het programma “Over leven”, van de VRT-Canvas. Die prijs stelt zich ten doel de wetenschap te populariseren. Hij zet wetenschapsmensen ertoe aan op efficiënte wijze met het grote publiek te communiceren, en stimuleert de jongeren om een wetenschappelijke carrière na te streven.
Ook in diezelfde geest wordt deze zomer in het Paleis van Brussel een tentoonstelling gehouden, die ik gisteren heb geopend. Ze werd georganiseerd door de Federale wetenschappelijke instellingen en door Technopolis om een breder publiek met de wetenschappen vertrouwd te maken. Met datzelfde doel voor ogen heeft de Stichting Koningin Paola een prijs gecreëerd voor de onderwijskrachten die ook op dat vlak een dynamisch en aantrekkelijk onderricht uitbouwen.

Tot slot, nog enkele woorden over de talenkennis.
Deze keer wens ik te benadrukken hoezeer talenkennis onmisbaar is om efficiënt deel te nemen aan de wetenschappelijke en technologische evolutie en om een duurzame baan te bekomen. Het heeft me getroffen dat voor veel vacatures geen passende kandidaten opdagen bij gebrek aan talenkennis. We leven in een wereld die almaar globaliseert, wat vanzelfsprekend een degelijke talenkennis vereist.
Op vroege leeftijd andere talen aanleren werd soms afgeremd uit vrees de moedertaal te schaden. Tijdens mijn bezoek aan de VUB had ik dan ook bijzonder veel belangstelling voor de resultaten van een interdisciplinair onderzoek, uitgevoerd door linguïsten en neurologen van de VUB en de ULB. Het heeft aangetoond dat tweetalige kinderen minder hersenactiviteit nodig hebben om dezelfde taak uit te voeren dan eentalige kinderen. Dat onderzoek wordt voortgezet, en bezorgt een wetenschappelijke basis aan hen die voor meertaligheid pleiten.
Een interessante manier om talen aan te leren is het zogeheten onderdompelingsonderwijs dat in de meeste Europese landen in mindere of hogere mate wordt toegepast.

Ziedaar, Dames en Heren, enkele overwegingen die ik met U wou delen om de economische en sociale uitdagingen van morgen beter te kunnen aangaan.

Het is vandaag 175 jaar geleden dat mijn voorouder, Leopold I, de grondwettelijke eed aflegde. Op deze verjaardag wensen de Koningin en ikzelf, en gans onze familie, U allen een gelukkige Nationale Feestdag.

King Albert II's speech in French:

Ces derniers mois, la Belgique a été secouée par plusieurs actes de violence extrême qui ont particulièrement ému et choqué tous les habitants de notre pays. La Reine et moi tenons à témoigner encore notre chaleureuse sympathie aux familles qui furent si durement frappées.
Confrontées à ces faits douloureux, les autorités, chacune dans leur domaine de responsabilité, ont réagi avec rapidité et compétence en vue d’accroître la sécurité et d’établir la justice.

Ces événements tragiques posent à chacun de nous de graves questions concernant notre société. Il me semble indispensable de replacer au premier plan les valeurs de base de la famille, de la solidarité attentive, du respect de l’autre, et de la tolérance. Ces valeurs étaient d’ailleurs clairement présentes lors des différentes marches qui eurent lieu contre la violence.
La dignité des familles éprouvées fit impression et suscita respect et admiration.

En ce jour de fête nationale j’aimerais vous parler d’un enjeu essentiel pour nos sociétés européennes. Il s’agit de créer des emplois durables par l’innovation.
Les progrès scientifiques, notamment dans les technologies de l’information et de la communication, ainsi que dans le domaine de l’énergie et de la biotechnologie, connaissent une accélération extraordinaire. Ces progrès sont source d’innovation dans toute l’activité économique, y compris dans les secteurs dits traditionnels. L’Europe se doit de participer pleinement à cette révolution car elle conditionnera l’emploi de demain. C’est dans ce but que l’Union européenne a lancé en l’an 2000 la stratégie de Lisbonne. Cette stratégie a pour objectif de faire de notre continent d’ici 2010, l’économie de la connaissance la plus forte du monde.
Je voudrais en souligner trois implications pour la Belgique. D’abord la recherche, ensuite la formation de scientifiques, et enfin l’apprentissage des langues.

La recherche constitue aujourd’hui, avec l’innovation, la base du développement des entreprises et des emplois de demain. L’Union européenne a fixé comme objectif à ses membres de consacrer 3 % de leur produit intérieur brut à la recherche et à l’innovation. Notre pays, avec environ 2 %, a encore un effort important à fournir. Néanmoins, les Régions, les Communautés, le Gouvernement fédéral et le secteur privé ont déjà pris d’importantes initiatives. Sur le plan fédéral, par exemple, des mesures fiscales sont prévues en faveur des chercheurs, et un plan d’action est mis en œuvre pour renforcer les établissements scientifiques fédéraux. De leur côté, les Régions et les Communautés ont accru les moyens budgétaires consacrés à la recherche et à l’innovation et ont fixé des priorités.

Ces derniers mois, je me suis rendu dans plusieurs centres d’excellence où se réalise une recherche de pointe sur le plan international. Je pense notamment au Centre inter-universitaire de microélectronique IMEC à Leuven, et au Centre de nanotechnologie de la KUL. Je songe aussi au Biopole de l’ULB à Charleroi, au Centre d’Etude de l’Energie Nucléaire à Mol, ou encore à l’Institut de Pathologie Cellulaire Christian de Duve à l’UCL.
Les activités de recherche de haut niveau méritent un soutien toujours plus intense.

Notre deuxième implication concerne la formation de scientifiques.
Lors de mes nombreux contacts avec des chercheurs, avec les responsables du Fonds National de la Recherche Scientifique et de la Fondation Francqui, ceux-ci ont attiré mon attention sur une évolution importante. Il s’agit de la stagnation et dans certains cas de la diminution préoccupante du nombre d’étudiants se destinant à une profession scientifique ou à celle d’ingénieur, alors que ces diplômés sont de plus en plus demandés.
J’encourage donc tous les jeunes qui ont des dispositions dans ces matières à s’engager dans des études scientifiques. Il me semble d’ailleurs qu’il faut expliquer plus clairement aux jeunes les opportunités passionnantes qui se présentent à eux dans ces domaines, et les contributions positives qu’ils peuvent ainsi apporter à l’ensemble de la société.
D’heureuses initiatives ont déjà été prises dans ce sens. Je me réjouis par exemple, que le Prix Descartes de la Commission européenne, ait été attribué en 2005 au programme « Over leven » de la chaîne Canvas de la VRT. Ce prix, destiné à populariser les sciences, incite les scientifiques à communiquer de manière efficace avec le grand public, et stimule les jeunes à poursuivre une carrière scientifique.
C’est également dans cet esprit que se tient cet été au Palais de Bruxelles, une exposition que j’ai inaugurée hier. Elle est mise sur pied par les institutions scientifiques fédérales et Technopolis pour familiariser un large public avec les sciences. C’est dans ce but également que la Fondation Reine Paola a créé un prix pour les enseignants qui, dans ce domaine aussi, s’efforcent de concevoir un enseignement dynamique et attrayant.

Parlons enfin de l’apprentissage des langues.
Aujourd’hui, je voudrais insister sur la nécessité de connaître les langues pour participer efficacement à l’évolution scientifique et technologique et obtenir un emploi durable. J’ai été frappé de voir que bien des offres d’emploi ne trouvaient pas de candidats adéquats faute de connaissance des langues. Nous vivons dans une société de plus en plus globale et cela implique naturellement une bonne pratique de plusieurs langues.
L’apprentissage précoce d’autres langues a parfois été freiné par la crainte de nuire à la langue maternelle. C’est pourquoi, j’ai été particulièrement intéressé, lors de ma visite à la VUB, par les résultats d’une recherche interdisciplinaire menée par des linguistes et des neurologues de la VUB et de l’ULB. Ils montrent que pour l’exécution d’une même tâche, l’effort cérébral des enfants bilingues est inférieur à celui des enfants unilingues. Ces recherches, qui se poursuivent, procurent une base scientifique au plaidoyer pour le multilinguisme.
Une des formes intéressantes de cet apprentissage est l’enseignement par immersion qui est pratiqué à plus ou moins grande échelle dans la plupart des pays européens.

Voilà, Mesdames et Messieurs, quelques réflexions que je voulais partager avec vous, afin de mieux nous préparer aux défis économiques et sociaux de demain.

Il y a aujourd’hui 175 ans que mon aïeul, le Roi Léopold I, prêtait le serment constitutionnel. En cet anniversaire, la Reine et moi et toute notre famille, souhaitons à chacun et à chacune de vous une très heureuse fête nationale.

20-07-2006 Brussel The Belgium royal family attended the concert de prelude a la fete of the National Orchestra of Belgium at the Palace of ‘’Schone’’ kunsten in Brussel.

Mathilde looks really good, and its nice to see her wear such a young dress and quite sexy shoes. The other women should have worn a dress as well IMO, more festive than pants.
PPE

Attachments

• 06072009.jpg
    06072009.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 475
  • 06072006.jpg
    06072006.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 06072012.jpg
    06072012.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 377
  • 06072011.jpg
    06072011.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 339
  • 06072004.jpg
    06072004.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 370
  • 06072014.jpg
    06072014.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 378
  • 06072010.jpg
    06072010.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 360
  • 06072008.jpg
    06072008.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 500
  • 06072003.jpg
    06072003.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 388
  • 06072002.jpg
    06072002.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 859
I remember Mathilde first wore this dress on trade mission to New Zealand & Australia.

More photos from PPE

Last edited:
Thanks for these photos everyone! I think Mathilde's shoes are beautiful but overall, I love the outfit Claire has on, even if it is a bit somber for summer. I had forgotten about this event so was pleased to see the photos. I'm looking forward to tomorrow!

Two more from PPE
One of Paola & one of Claire

Princess Claire looks very good after having given birth to twins. She has most of the time a very good fashion taste. This outfit suits her very well.

Wow. Mathilde looks fabulous! Mathilde seems to have stepped up on how she dresses...she's been dressing a lot younger and more festive lately. I wonder if she took some fashion advice from Maxima on the last celebrations in the east...:D :)

Although Claire's outfit looks nice, it's so dreadfully boring for such an occasion. I wonder what the ladies (and Elisabeth, the little lady :)) will wear today. It's really scorching hot, so a dress perhaps ... ?

Hey I think Fabiola looks nearly cool in those pants!

I totally forgot it is National Day today ! I was about to leave for the library when I thought I’d first quickly check the forum. Now I realize that nothing will be opened. See what the Royal Forums can do for you ! :)
More on topic : Mathilde looks indeed fabulous. I wish more young Belgian women discovered her, the royal family would be much more popular.

The first pics from today. Mathilde looks really radiant and happy – and Elisabeth a little bit bored but very sweet. (ppe)

Last edited:
OK guys I just watched the news. Albert, Paola, Fabiola, Mathilde, Filip & Elisabeth were shown attending the Te deum in Brussels.

Mathilde wore an orange-red dress, very stylish and chic with a Fabienne Delvigne hat. It's a pink hat, wrapped around the head, very stylish and not conventional, so it'll probably get some comments here but I love it!!!!

Elisabeth wore a pink (fuchsia) dress with a bolera jacket in the same colour. She was very good during themass, only yawning now and then :) but Mathilde was chatting with her etc.

Afterwards she went to shake hands with the crowd, took flowers and waved at the public like a pro, all on her daddy's arm. The public was impressed.

King Albert reveiled a plaque at the St Jacques op Koudenberg church where ,today exactly 175 years ago, Leopold I swore the oath as first king of the Belgians. This is also the church where Albert was baptized BTW. It was a relaxed ceremony, with a very good humoured king.

Belga .....

Attachments

• N_060721_Elisabeth_b.jpg
    N_060721_Elisabeth_b.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 278
  • N_060721_Elisabeth_m_b.jpg
    N_060721_Elisabeth_m_b.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 266
I am not a fan of the dress/hat combination of mathilde's. Bright orange and pale pink/beige are not a good colour match. She would have been better off going with a pink like elisabeth's dress

Wow princess Mathilde is like more Queen Astrid of Belgium!!! His hat is beautiful and dress is much wow!!! Queen Fabiola is active and visit Te Deum on day!!! She is cool and beautiful dress. Queen Fabiola is love royal family Belgium. Was photo Prince Amedeo and his sister,brother??? They can not Te Deum ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom