Belgian State Visits: general discussion, suggestions, reflections

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Felipe received his GCVO at the 1988 state visit from the UK to Spain and I think Prince Albert got his at the 1966 state visit to Belgium. Queen Elizabeth made a state visit to Norway in 1981 when King Olav V was still on the throne but CP Harald had already been decorated before with the GCVO. There has been no further state visit to Norway since then and that is why Haakon never got a British order. The 2001 visit to the UK was not technically a state visit, I think, although it had a white tie dinner.

There was a State visit from Queen Elizabeth II. to Norway in 2001 a few months before the Wedding of Crown Prince Haakon. The norwegian Visit to the Uk was in 2005. So why did Crown Prince Haakon not get the Royal Victoria Order in 2001 when Felipe got it in 1988?

There was a State visit from Queen Elizabeth II. to Norway in 2001 a few months before the Wedding of Crown Prince Haakon. The norwegian Visit to the Uk was in 2005. So why did Crown Prince Haakon not get the Royal Victoria Order in 2001 when Felipe got it in 1988?

Sorry, I missed that one. There was indeed a state visit to Norway in 2001. I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe Royal Norway does.

Here is Prince Felipe wearing the RVO in 1988 .

b29366acb41bea48d7c87a262f48ff97.jpg

Last edited:
Queen Fabiola refused to wear all the foreign Orders , not easy !
Queen Paola wore the foreign Orders but was never seen with the Order of Leopold.
Queen Mathilde wore the Order of Leopold such as before Queen Elisabeth.

Where do visiting Head of State stay when on a State Visit to Belgium?

King Albert I received the Sash of the Order of the Garter for his Behaviour during WW1.
Only King Baudouin ( State Visit ) and his Grandfather had the Sash of the Order of the Garter.

Last edited:
I thought that too but wasn't 100% sure.
Could also be at the Royal Palace but not sure. Or that there are Guest Apartements in both Palaces.

Any incoming state visit guessing to Belgium for 2023?

Some sources are saying that this September will be held an Belgian SV to Germany, but I didn't find any information neither from the Royal Palace nor from the President's spokeswoman Cerstin Gammelin.

When is the next state visit of King Philippe and Queen Mathilde to another European monarchy?
So far they have visited Denmark, Holland and Luxembourg and outside Europe they have visited Japan.

Belgian Royal watchers have spent the last few weeks claiming there will be a state visit to Germany, but no word from the Belgian Court yet. Maybe there will be an announcement after the Summit of german speaking countries.

When is the next state visit of King Philippe and Queen Mathilde to another European monarchy?
So far they have visited Denmark, Holland and Luxembourg and outside Europe they have visited Japan.

Maybe Norway, Sweden, UK or Spain

Do the King and Queen of the Belgians have any state visits confirmed for this year?

Any incoming state visit guessing to Belgium for 2023?

Pope Francis will visit Belgium, so there's that. I guess more will be announced in the future (The Royal Couple is also making a state visit to Vietnam).

Why the Dutch Royals and not ours ?

Because Carles Puigdemont has been fleeing his punishment by living in Waterloo for the past 5 years? NVA has been protecting him from Spanish justice.

The British Royal Family hosted King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola of Belgium on their State Visit to Britain in 1963.

Back
Top Bottom