Belgian State Visit to Ireland; 8-10 October 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stephanievl

Heir Apparent
City
n/a
Country
Belgium
The king and queen will go on a state visit to Ireland from 8 until 10 october!

Does anybody have a programme for the visit? I wish that Paola would have worn a more cheerfull colour, autumn is already gloomy enough... Did the King still use his stick or was he able to walk without it?

Irish RTE television has some info about the visit:

King Albert praises progress in NI

Monday, 8 October 2007 19:53

King Albert II of Belgium has paid tribute to what he described as the impressive achievements of the Good Friday Agreement and the St Andrew's Agreement in a speech at the Department of Foreign Affairs this afternoon.
King Albert II and Queen Paola are on a three-day state visit to Ireland.
He also praised Ireland's economic progress.

Read the entire article here, there also is a clip of the statevisit, real player only.
-------

More from Flandersnews:

Albert and Paola visit Ireland

Mon 08/10/07 - King Albert II and Queen Paola landed Monday morning in the Irish capital Dublin for a three-day official state visit. A delegation of Belgian business leaders and academics are accompanying the royals.

On Monday, the royal couple were scheduled to meet President Mary McAleese and plant a tree at the presidential residence.

Read the entire article here.
-----------------------------

And another article from Expatica:

Albert and Paola visit Ireland

8 October 2007
BRUSSELS – The king and queen have started their official state visit to Ireland. Belgian monarchs have not visited the country since the 1970s.
King Albert II and Queen Paola landed at Dublin airport on Monday morning for a three-day visit. A delegation of Belgian business leaders and academics are accompanying the royals. It is the first time that Albert and Paola are making a state visit to the EU's most western country.

I'm thankful for the pics that have been posted of the gala. But I wish they were bigger! I think I like the dress of Queen Poala but I'm not completely sure. I need to get a better look.

Her majesty looks lovely. I really love her hair this length. She looks much younger than her 70 years!
Also, I noticed that she is very engaging with children. Very warm. That's lovely to see.

Hmz, they say that ´there is no picture in this gallery´ .

Does anybody have a programme for the visit? I wish that Paola would have worn a more cheerfull colour, autumn is already gloomy enough... Did the King still use his stick or was he able to walk without it?

The king sometimes uses a walking stick and sometimes he does not need one. On other pictures you can see that he is helped by Queen Paola. And you can see that she is watching over him very much. I haven’t seen a programme of the visit anywhere, but until now it seems to me a good one for the Queen, many gardens and kids, she seems to enjoys it, being the circumstances as they are at the moment.

I do like Queen Paola's coat, I can understand your feelings about the colour of her costume, very correct but nothing “whooow” I think. :ermm:Sometimes I am a bit puzzled about the choice of fashion of Queen Paola, sometimes she seems to think: “I have to take in account with my dresses that I am a somewhat elder woman now.” Fully unnecessary in my opinion as I look at pictures of other events this summer. But even in these subdued colours I have seen her wear more “exciting” creations.

I think it is funny to see that Queen Paola “recycles” her clothes now. Her dress of the gala banquet I saw before, at another state visit [I have not figured out wich one yet:study:]. When she was young she was criticised that she spend so much money at clothes that she only whore once. Times changes and people too. [Maybe a nice item for the Royal House of fashion, if it is not already there:study:]

Last edited:
What I find remarkable about King Albert and Queen Paola is how they are openly affectionate with each other. I have seen many pictures of them where they are holding hands, or holding each others arm (like the King holding the Queen's arm to steady himself I guess). It's touching to see.

I saw a very funny article (but I am technologically challenged so I have no idea how to link it :lol:) where the children at St. Ciaran's school were wondering where the Queen's crown was. Very very cute article.
Her majesty seems to have a real affinity for children. In pictures, it always looks like she talks to them and acknowledges them.

a pity there aren´t any more pictures around of this visit. Paola looks good as usual, I am glad she is helping out the king and that they aren´t afraid to show their affection.

some pictures of day three

BelgaPicture - Category details

I expecialy love the last one, the chit chat about the cookies.
:) Mmm, can I have the recepy? I'l bake them for my [grand]children.:):)

Last edited:
From flandersnews.be:

King Albert on state visit to Ireland

Wed 10/10/07 - King Albert of the Belgians on Wednesday concluded a three-day state visit to Ireland.

On Tuesday the king attended the final meeting of a joint economic forum staged by the Belgian Employers' Organisation VBO and the Irish Business and Employers' Confederation IBEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom