Belgian National Day - 21 July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

This is the thread dedicated to the Belgian National Day celebrations 2011!

Today, July 20, King Albert, Queen Paola, Queen Fabiola, Prince Philippe, Princess Mathilde, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz will attend the concert "Prelude to National Day" hosted by the International Queen Elisabeth Contest
and the Belgian National Orchestra at the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Brussels.

Tomorrow, July 21, the Te Deum will be attended in the morning by

- King Albert, Queen Paola and Queen Fabiola at the Cathedral Saints-Michel-et-Gudule in Brussels

- Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde at the Sint-Pieterskerk in Leuven

- Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz at the Saint-Jean-Baptiste church in Wavre.

In the afternoon the whole family will attend a military parade at the Palace Square.

Later on Prince Philippe, Princess Mathilde, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz will visit different stands of the "Day in the Park" at the Place Royale, the Museum Square, the Mont des Arts and the rue de la Regence.

In the evening Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde will attend fireworks on the Place des Palais.

* source: Fête Nationale - 21 juillet 2011 *​

And yes it is official, no Prince Laurent no Princess Claire this time. I am very sorry for it !

What did he say in his speech?

I feel bad that Princess Claire is being kept from participating this year because of Laurent.

I wonder if she would have been allowed to attend without him?

There was a popular street party in Brussels on the 20th evening and Laurent, Claire and the children were present.

And here's a first gallery of pics of the family arriving at the concert:
** belga gallery **
One further photo gallery concerning the "Prelude to National Day" at the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Brussels: PPE Agency
1.http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE11072052.jpg (Crown Princess Mathilde and Crown Prince Philippe)
2.http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE11072084.jpg (Princess Astrid)
3.http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE11072063.jpg (Queen Paola)
4.http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE11072069.jpg (Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz)
5.http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE11072051.jpg (Queen Fabiola)
6.http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE11072059.jpg (Crown Princess Mathilde)
7.http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE11072078.jpg (King Albert and Queen Paola)

I'm glad that Laurent, Claire and the kids did have a street party to go to after all !
That would have been a very unkind thing to...
I don't have any negative feelings about Laurent, and I'm bound to like Claire because she's Scottish :)

But at present, there is a lot of stress around the Family. Matters of State can blight lives, and I hope and pray that things can be resolved soon.

I love them and hope their "disgrace" won't be long.

:previous:

I think it might have been Laurent's decision not to "hide" and instead to show that despite
the official exclusion they did have fun, are relaxed and happy...

Here are the first pics from today:

** ppe gallery - Leuven ** ppe gallery Brussels ** belga gallery **

** gettyimages/reuters/daylife gallery National Day 2011 **

** standaard.be gallery: Koning, Leterme en Di Rupo op applaus onthaald bij Te Deum **

** rtl.be video and gallery: Te Deum: le Roi affirme se sentir "comme un coureur cycliste" **

Last edited:
Thank you Iceflower for these lovely photos. I do agree that Laurent and Claire made the right decision to become part of the festivities in their own way.

Last edited:
I love them and hope their "disgrace" won't be long.

As I understood, the "banning" from the royal family is only concerning Prince Laurent. Princess Claire and the three children are welcome in the family.

You are most welcome, Daisiesforever, and thank you for the additional link, Lina RdC! :flowers:

PPE has added an extra gallery for the military parade:

** ppe gallery - military parade **

Spanish Hola has an article:

** La Familia Real belga celebra su Fiesta Nacional ** gallery **

And Swedish svenskdam a gallery with pics from yesterday:

** Bildspel: Belgiska kungafamiljen på konsert i Bryssel **

An extra gallery from nieuwsblad.be focussing on Mathilde and Philippe in Leuven:

** FOTOSPECIAL. Prins Filip en Prinses Mathilde wonen Te Deum bij in Leuven **

And a gallery from purepeople:

** La princesse Mathilde, joli coin de ciel bleu d'une Fête nationale bien sinistre **

Pics from lalibre.be:

** Fête Nationale 2011 **

7sur7.be:

** Fête nationale à Bruxelles **

Last edited:
A Prince of Belgium "banned from Belgian's National Day" is the first time in our History. Prince Laurent normally represents "the Marine " , the Duke of Brabant "l'aviation" and the King is General 4 stars (only 3 in Belgium : HM the King, the Head of His Military House and the Head of the Army).
HM the King received the whole Day (Te Deum and Defile militaire) all the respect of the Belgian citizens for what He did during more than 400 days. His speech was stunning and the night following the 21 /7 endless a Decision to form a new Government after August 15 !

What branch of the Belgian military forces does Princess Astrid represent?

Al Bina - IMO this must have been a misunderstanding. Laurent and the kids turned up at an open air event - looked a bit like a street party.

I doubt whether even King Albert could have made such a faux-pas.

Maria-Olivia - I loved the King's speech - but he looked sooo tired.

Last edited:
Maria-Olivia, has the King ever had serious health problems?

What branch of the Belgian military forces does Princess Astrid represent?
The princess is a colonel in the Medical Component of the Belgian Armed Forces.

PPE has added an extra gallery for the military parade:
** ppe gallery - military parade **

Spanish Hola has an article:
** La Familia Real belga celebra su Fiesta Nacional ** gallery **

And Swedish svenskdam a gallery with pics from yesterday:
** Bildspel: Belgiska kungafamiljen på konsert i Bryssel **

An extra gallery from nieuwsblad.be focussing on Mathilde and Philippe in Leuven:
** FOTOSPECIAL. Prins Filip en Prinses Mathilde wonen Te Deum bij in Leuven **

And a gallery from purepeople:
** La princesse Mathilde, joli coin de ciel bleu d'une Fête nationale bien sinistre **

Pics from lalibre.be:
** Fête Nationale 2011 **

7sur7.be:
** Fête nationale à Bruxelles **
Thank you so much for your searching effort -here are several belated annexations:flowers::
1a. Royalportraits
1b. Royal Press Europe - Royal Photoagency - © Albert Nieboer & Albert Philip van der Werf
1c. Belgian Royals attend concert prelude to the National Day 2011 - Dutch Photo Press (concert on July 20)
2a. Le Roi, Leterme et Di Rupo applaudis au Te Deum - L'Avenir
2b. Royal Press Europe - Royal Photoagency - © Albert Nieboer & Albert Philip van der Werf (July 21)
3. Prince Filip and Princess Mathilde at National Day 2011 - Dutch Photo Press (Te Deum in Leuven on July 21)
4. King Albert,Queen Paola and Queen Fabiola attend Te Deum mass at National Day 2011 - Dutch Photo Press (Te Deum in Brussels on July 21)
5a. Belgian Royals attend military parade at National Day 2011 - Dutch Photo Press
5b. Belgium's National Day - Pictures - Zimbio
5c. Belgian National Day Celebration - Pictures - Zimbio (military parade on July 21)

I believe she is a colonel in the Army Medical Corps. Please correct me if I'm wrong

May I ask, why is Laurent 'banned'?

As I understand it, Prince Laurent was in fact "banned," at least from the official events of National Day this year. He attended street party with his family, but I think that was as a private citizen and not in an official capacity. He was banned from National Day because King Albert told him to cancel a planned visit in Congo in March of this year, and Laurent ignored him and went anyway. But he still receives money from the government and performs official duties; he hasn't been cut off completely from the royal family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom