Belgian National Day - 21 July, 1: 2009-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The King , the Queen and their 4 Children. That's all.
As always Laurent and Astrid were sitting at the same places , but I don't understand why the King's Nephews were not invited. Amadeo and Joachim served the Belgian Army ...
Our royals are no Family anymore , Prince Laurent shows it he did not enjoy and slept....

A clip of the prince sleeping:

Prins Laurent doet een dutje tijdens defilé - HLN.be

I suppose Astrid's children may be on holiday? They seem to have normal work or study schedueles and they are private people so I understand that they may prefer not to cut their holiday short.

Last edited:
You can't take Laurent anywhere smh.
Claire is a grade A saint tbh.

You can't take Laurent anywhere smh.
Claire is a grade A saint tbh.

I can not understand this man. Is national day of the country , is the brother of King and go there to sleep? No understand that first of all expose themselves or do all this on purpose? Mystery.
I agree about Claire is saint indeed.:sad:

The events look great and the family is lovely as always. I feel so old looking at Elisabeth, she was just a child yesterday and now she's becoming a gorgeous young woman :sad:

And is also now just a bit past her Father's shoulder height wise too. Eeeep!! When did that happen!?! Time sure flies, huh?

Great images from Belga, and I love Robin's images of Queen Mathilde.

So do I!! He's taken some gorgeous Royal Pictures of late.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

When Prince Laurent arrived at his very seat , this was dirty and cleaned it with his white gloves and after sitting difficultly he slept.

And while -in the heat- the military were parading before the royal dais, Laurent was gesticulating in his mobile phone, as if the whole parade was nothing of interest to him, sitting in his naval uniform with the grand cordon of the Ordre du Léopold. It was almost an insult to the military bringing homage to the King...

?

Mathilde has had a little practice with feeding people it seems. At least she didn't have to pretend she was "flying" that bite into his mouth.

Mathilde has had a little practice with feeding people it seems. At least she didn't have to pretend she was "flying" that bite into his mouth.

I understand that she has a background in speech therapy, and that often involves dealing with any feeding issues a person may have. I would imagine that her knowledge comes from there, as well as from having her own children.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

That cake was really too beautiful to eat. Stunning.:whistling:

The cake comes from Wittamer , the best of the best. He did the wedding cakes also.

The King's speech for this year's National Day has been released in French, Dutch and German today.

Here's a google translation.

I am quite surprised that the King mentioned the Brexit referendum so explicitly. His emphatic defense of the EU, although to be expected from a Belgian monarch, was , however, a bit undiplomatic vis-a-vis the United Kingdom IMHO.

I understand that, being a buffer state between France and Germany which was invaded twice in the course of 20th century European wars and being the administrative seat of the EU, Belgium is a natural supporter of the Union. Having said that, it is unfortunate that Euro-federalism has acquired such dogmatic status in Belgium to the point of dismissing anyone who holds a legitimate opinion to the contrary as prophets of "false choices" as the King said.

Last edited:
After a lot of telephone calls from Royal Palace to Princess Astrid to attend the Defile for the first time she said no ! (She is Colonel).
In Paris Match we saw such nice pictures of our former King Albert Ii , Queen Paola, Princess Astrid with her youngest daughter and Princesse Claire with her 3 Children, holidays on the King's Boat ALPA.
At the Defile no Princess Claire who is on holiday , no Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz.
The King's Family and Prince Laurent.
In no other Royal Family their bad relationship is shown in public.

With such family admired more than before the kings!!!!!!!!! :flowers:

After a lot of telephone calls from Royal Palace to Princess Astrid to attend the Defile for the first time she said no ! (She is Colonel).
In Paris Match we saw such nice pictures of our former King Albert Ii , Queen Paola, Princess Astrid with her youngest daughter and Princesse Claire with her 3 Children, holidays on the King's Boat ALPA.
At the Defile no Princess Claire who is on holiday , no Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz.
The King's Family and Prince Laurent.
In no other Royal Family their bad relationship is shown in public.

AFAIK Princess Astrid seldom missed the national day during her father's reign. This year she will attend the Europeade festival in Namur instead. According to HLN the palace surprised and got wound up about the absence earlier. Anyway, let's hope that Laurent will bring his children, though I doubt he will.

The press has been writing about a rift in the family for years and since Filip's succession they regulary have Astrid -who usually had the role of peace maker - involved too.

A very good speech of the King; though I was surprised at just how outspoken he was. Many share his concerns about 'false prophets'.

Last edited:
Thanks for the article Tatiana Maria. The article also states that all of them have been invited.The article says that she is unhappy about her role in the new monarchy and the few engagements that she gets. This has been rumoured for 3 years now. Apart to the trip to Indonesia she only had 12 public engagements this year. It is obvious that the king wants to focus on the 'core', which is somethign you see in most other European monarchies too.

However, the article continues by pointing out that there are conflicting agenda points and also states that the princess and her husband will attend the concert in the evening before, with the king and queen.

Last edited:

King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz at the annual concert on the eve of Belgium's National Day yesterday, July 20:

** belga gallery ** fb gallery ** gettyimages **

Last edited:
Thanks for the article Tatiana Maria. The article also states that all of them have been invited.The article says that she is unhappy about her role in the new monarchy and the few engagements that she gets. This has been rumoured for 3 years now. Apart to the trip to Indonesia she only had 12 public engagements this year. It is obvious that the king wants to focus on the 'core', which is somethign you see in most other European monarchies too.

However, the article continues by pointing out that there are conflicting agenda points and also states that the princess and her husband will attend the concert in the evening before, with the king and queen.

Astrid and her family are the van Vollenhovens of Belgium in a way,but opposite to them not playing the first violin needs too much time to get accustomed too,but she's a tad rediculous in that.An unruly member of the ruling family.

Astrid and her family are the van Vollenhovens of Belgium in a way,but opposite to them not playing the first violin needs too much time to get accustomed too,but she's a tad rediculous in that.An unruly member of the ruling family.
Perfect comparison Lucien. Astrid and Laurent need to realize that they are now part of the extended royal family and they can't have the same role they had before, and increasingly so with Philippe's children growing up. Plus, they're just lucky the government didn't completely cut off their dotations as in other royal households. Instead of behaving like children they should instead prove to Philippe they want to work and show him project worth supporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom