Belgian National Day - 21 July, 1: 2009-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nice they decided to brought the children. They're the King's children now after all. and even if Eleonore in just 6 they're all so well behaved...
I hope better quality pictures will arrive soon

Philippe and Mathilde with their childern at te Te Deum in Brussels:

Great that the kids joined today.

Here are the first pictures from ANP

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Prince Laurent and Princess Claire of Belgium attend the concert for the National day in Brussels, Belgium, 20 July 2014.
ANP

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010070011T14059381161415948
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010070021T14059381161415948

Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz of Belgium attend the concert for the National day in Brussels, Belgium, 20 July 2014.
ANP

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0300010100011R14059381941413600

Last edited:
Is it possible to split Belgian national day between the 2 Kings?
Thanks and make a new for King Philippe's reign.

A real royal family with Children we had only from 1934 to 1935 when Queen Astrid died.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks and make a new for King Philippe's reign.

I didn't like Albert and Paola's decision to be abroad for the National Day, but in the end I think this gave the chance to Philippe and Mathilde to shine, especially thanks to the presence of the kids that gave the day a breath of fresh air after all the fuss of the family drama.

It is nice to see the kids with their parents attending to the Te Deum, now it is the royal family. and I think it is a goood idea of Paola and Albert to let the first place to the new royal family

Philippe and Mathilde have such pretty children. I cannot believe how grown up the little Duchess of Brabant is becoming!:p

Not sure how I feel about Mathilde's outfit yet, especially the hat....

Philippe and Mathilde have such pretty children. I cannot believe how grown up the little Duchess of Brabant is becoming!:p

Not sure how I feel about Mathilde's outfit yet, especially the hat....
The hat reminds me of the one Max wore to Peter Christian and Anita's wedding.

Lovely to see the children at this event.

The Belgian royal family looked lovely. It is great that Prince Laurent was able to join the festivities.

How the Tribune were made , low level for the King's siblings, high level for the Royal Family. Where should have sit King Albert and Queen Paola ?? Intermediate level..

General Van de Put, Head of the Royal House was completely hidden by Queen Mathilde's hat !

How the Tribune were made , low level for the King's siblings, high level for the Royal Family. Where should have sit King Albert and Queen Paola ?? Intermediate level..

General Van de Put, Head of the Royal House was completely hidden by Queen Mathilde's hat !

It's always been like that if you've watched the parade before....

Queen Fabiola was sitting at the same tribune than the reigning King Albert II .

Queen Fabiola was sitting at the same tribune than the reigning King Albert II .

I mean for Prince Laurent and Princess Astrid and their families it has always been like that. If present, King Albert and Queen Paola would have been sitting next to Philip and Mathilde

The children seem to cope well with the public. In the video posted from lesoir.be at the end you can see a lady reaching out and getting Eleonore to turn round so someone can take a photo of her!

OMG I thought that was quite disrespectful. she's just a little girl and not a circus animal

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really care for Mathilde's hat but her beautiful smile and loving person will always make up for what she wears for me. The children all looked lovely. I loved that they were holding hands and I simply can't get over how Élisabeth is turning into a professional little lady already. Look at her shaking hands like a pro, she's so cute. I also loved her ensemble the most. The shade of blue was beautiful on her and her hairdo was lovely.

OMG I thought that was quite disrespectful. she's just a little girl and not a circus animal

I thought it was quite disrespectful as well. The woman doesn't even seem to do it gently, she could have poked her on the arm and asked if she could possibly turn around. Instead she decided to pull a little 6-year-old girl, who is probably taken a bit aback with all the people around her, in the arm – I would have been infuriated if I was Mathilde. To some extent, it would be more understandable if it had been Élisabeth because she's old enough to understand the attention around and she is the heir, but Eléonore is just a little child. I was so shocked when I saw it.

What do you mean by "split it"?
Belgium has only 1 King! Albert´s kingly title is an honourary one (only King by name, but not by function).
So, no, in my opinion a national day can only be lead by the current head of state and his own family.
I really liked to see the King and Queen and their children attending the Te Deum alone, marking this is the actual reigning royal family and no one else.

The hat reminds me of the one Max wore to Peter Christian and Anita's wedding.

Lovely to see the children at this event.

Oh wow...you are good TLLK! I knew I had seen that hat somewhere before!

Their Majesties are good friends. I wonder if Maxima and Mathilde sometimes share clothes and accessories:lol:?

What do you mean by "split it"?
Belgium has only 1 King! Albert´s kingly title is an honourary one (only King by name, but not by function).
So, no, in my opinion a national day can only be lead by the current head of state and his own family.
I really liked to see the King and Queen and their children attending the Te Deum alone, marking this is the actual reigning royal family and no one else.
I’m not Maria Olivia but I think she just asked if the moderators can create a new thread to differentiate between the national days under the reign of Albert and those of Philippe now.

I’m glad that the kids, Elisabeth especially, are able to meet the crowd in such an open and relaxed manner. Looks like the death threats haven’t impressed them and they are shaking hands unbiasedly. Good for them. There still is lots of security around them though. For ex. I saw pictures of gunned policemen watching the scenery from the rooftop of a building.

Princess Eleonore is still very small, and some young children are skittish and shy around strangers. I certainly was. How dare that woman pull that child around like that, just to take a photo.:bang:

As a Queen, I understand that Mathilde could do nothing about it. But as a mother it must be very annoying.

Last edited:
Oh wow...you are good TLLK! I knew I had seen that hat somewhere before!

Their Majesties are good friends. I wonder if Maxima and Mathilde sometimes share clothes and accessories:lol:?

Thank you! It's the same designer as well.;) (Or Max's hat had offspring.)

Mara , Thanks I just asked the moderators to start a new belgium national day thread since King Philippe is King.

This evening Philippe and Mathilde attended the "Fete au parc - Feest in het Park" celebrations at the Parc de Bruxelles, here are two extra galleries of that and more galleries of the previous events:

** ppe gallery ** belga gallery **

** dpp: Belgian National day 2014 **

** zimbo/gettyimages gallery: Belgium Royals National Day **

** pm gallery: Mathilde & Philippe, un bal avant la fête nationale **

** pm gallery: Mathilde & Philippe, Te Deum en famille pour la fête nationale **

** pp: Philippe et Mathilde de Belgique : Leurs enfants au top pour la fête nationale **

Last edited:
I’m glad that the kids, Elisabeth especially, are able to meet the crowd in such an open and relaxed manner. Looks like the death threats haven’t impressed them and they are shaking hands unbiasedly. Good for them. There still is lots of security around them though. For ex. I saw pictures of gunned policemen watching the scenery from the rooftop of a building.

That was so scary. I never saw those, but this year they were eveywhere. I saw at least 7 snipers on the roofs :eek:

I think it is normal protection. I remember at Delft at Prince Bernard funeral, there were lots of people on the roofs around the square.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom