The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2021, 05:35 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I still think she does not belong there. But then if she want's to attend and the King is ok with it i think she should not be seated in the front row but more in the background.
If she would be seated in the background would that not signal she is a 2nd-rate family member? Considering the fight Delphine had to deliver to get accepted I imagine many people would have found that rather odd. Although royalty-watchers will understand it, the general public may wonder why such a thing would be happening.

I think the King was wise to show that he has fully accepted her. Compared to some other family members Delphine may even be considered less problematic at this point. It was a difficult situation but the King was able to take control of it and he has come out of the scandal in a stronger position even. I think he has handled it in a very humane but also in a very clever way TBH. I have read and heard nothing but praise. And it was noted that even Pss Astrid stopped to talk to her half-sister, which made royalty-journalists believe that the reconciliation is genuine.

Old 07-21-2021, 05:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
My post was in answer to a comment that Princess Delphine was invited to National Day while King Philippe's nieces and nephews were not because she she is a daughter of a king and they are not. The point was that this cannot be King Philippe's (only) reason, as according to the same logic his aunts would be invited as well.

Regarding Leopold's younger children and the comment about Delphine being "denied princely status or a place in the royal family", I have answered in General Questions and Informations about the Royal Family of Belgium
The situation changed since the times of Leopold and Lilian. People wouldn't have stood for Delphine not to be treated "equally" (in terms of protocol at least) as Marengo has said.

Old 07-21-2021, 05:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
Born of a morganatic marriage, though. In the past this meant they could not be equal to the children born of Leopold's first marriage.

Delphine, on the other hand, is an illegitimate child who was later legitimized by a court decision (as I interpret it).

The fact that children of a legal, albeit morganatic, marriage were treated unequally, while a daughter born out of wedlock is now officially embraced by the Royal Family tells a lot IMHO about how society has changed in the past decades.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
The situation changed since the times of Leopold and Lilian. People wouldn't have stood for Delphine not to be treated "equally" (in terms of protocol at least) as Marengo has said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The fact that children of a legal, albeit morganatic, marriage were treated unequally, while a daughter born out of wedlock is now officially embraced by the Royal Family tells a lot IMHO about how society has changed in the past years.
As two of Leopold and Lilian's children are still living, and the third died only 12 years ago, the explanation still leaves the question of why the changed societal situation has not changed their treatment in terms of royal protocol, unlike Delphine's.

Public opinion is divided in terms of royal duties. I've not read survey figures regarding the children of Leopold and Lilian, or Philippe's nieces and nephews, but in a survey conducted in February 2020 65% of Belgians believed that Delphine should not be given an official role if eventually recognized as Albert II's daughter.

ETA: Perhaps this discussion should be moved to the Princess Delphine thread or the General Information thread, as it is no longer about National Day specifically?
Old 07-21-2021, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I think it's King Philippe's way of showing that Delphine is included in the family. That's why Delphine is invited to some events where her brothers are.

In fact, the whole family seems to handle it well.

King Philippe was smart and resolved a situation that lasted for many years.

Agreed.

I think he wants to make a point of including her, especially after she fought so long to just be acknowledged. It was a smart decision IMO. Albert treated her very poorly for quite some time- and very publicly poorly at that.

I think it was a kind decision as well.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
As two of Leopold and Lilian's children are still living, and the third died only 12 years ago, the explanation still leaves the question of why the changed societal situation has not changed their treatment in terms of royal protocol, unlike Delphine's.

Public opinion is divided in terms of royal duties. I've not read survey figures regarding the children of Leopold and Lilian, or Philippe's nieces and nephews, but in a survey conducted in February 2020 65% of Belgians believed that Delphine should not be given an official role if eventually recognized as Albert II's daughter.

ETA: Perhaps this discussion should be moved to the Princess Delphine thread or the General Information thread, as it is no longer about National Day specifically?
I think it also has to do with the public perception of both Leopold and Lilian, who weren't exactly popular due to their wartime actions and other things.

Delphine won't be given any kind of official role, that has been clear from the beginning but she's the daughter of a King and the sister of another King, hence she's invited to certain public acts.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Probably because Lilian's daughters are Philippe's aunts, not his sisters. Only siblings and children of the monarch are normally officially in attendance at the National Day Parade. The question should be why they were not invited during Albert's reign.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
I think it also has to do with the public perception of both Leopold and Lilian, who weren't exactly popular due to their wartime actions and other things.

Delphine won't be given any kind of official role, that has been clear from the beginning but she's the daughter of a King and the sister of another King, hence she's invited to certain public acts.
So your assessment, as I comprehend it, is that the set pattern is to invite children and siblings of Kings, and only them, to National Day in a public role, irrespective of their status as working or non-working royals, and the exclusion of Esmeralda and her siblings is an exception to the pattern, possibly due to the unpopularity of their parents.

I hope that is not the case. It would be unkind for the children of Leopold and Lilian to be punished today for the actions of their parents 80 years earlier.

It is still my feeling that the pattern under King Philippe is to invite working royals exclusively to National Day in a public role, but that he decided to make an exception for Princess Delphine, probably, as many here suggested, as a gesture to demonstrate the family's acceptance and reconciliation to her and to the public. But that is a matter of speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Probably because Lilian's daughters are Philippe's aunts, not his sisters. Only siblings and children of the monarch are normally officially in attendance at the National Day Parade. The question should be why they were not invited during Albert's reign.
Interesting thought. During the reign of Albert II, the only living paternal aunt/uncle of the King was Marie-José, the last Queen of Italy. Is it possible that her marriage into another royal family, and not her relationship to the king, was the reason she was not invited?
Old 07-21-2021, 09:21 PM
Majesty

And it doesn't work for Baudouin's reign either: his full sister and husband weren't invited (they were reigning monarchs in a neighboring country), his full brother was invited but not his 3 half-siblings (same category as Delphine); and I assume that his niece and nephews were invited as well without being children or sibling of the king?!

So, for me, the only logical reasoning is that until today those in line to the throne were invited. More recently, invitation/presence was limited to siblings and children of the monarch within that group as the number would be rather large if they didn't - while the other grandchildren/nieces and nephews in line to the throne sometimes (as an exception to the 'rule') joined their parents.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Delphine about to be present at the National Day

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRn5y95hbUx/
Old 07-22-2021, 05:51 AM
Majesty

It is sad that such a lot of threads in the Royal Forums are devoted to Delphine who here stole the show of this special National Day devoted to thre sorrow of the belgians.

From the roof to the base of the Royal Palace they placed two big flags one for the Covid and one for the inondations in Wallonia.

In my french Newspaper la Libre Belgique the Cover and 8 special pages about the now terrible devasted situation and two pages about the National Day with the King's Speech He was to change in the last Minutes and 2 small pictures of Elisabeth and Delphine without any comment.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
It is sad that such a lot of threads in the Royal Forums are devoted to Delphine who here stole the show of this special National Day devoted to thre sorrow of the belgians.

From the roof to the base of the Royal Palace they placed two big flags one for the Covid and one for the inondations in Wallonia.

In my french Newspaper la Libre Belgique the Cover and 8 special pages about the now terrible devasted situation and two pages about the National Day with the King's Speech He was to change in the last Minutes and 2 small pictures of Elisabeth and Delphine without any comment.

I am deeply sorry for what happened in Belgium and it was really emotional to watch the parade and the homage paid to the heroes who helped people throughout both the pandemic and the flood, but this is a forum about royalty and it is normal that our focus is on the royal family.

Tags
archduke lorenz, belgium, brussels, king albert ii, king philippe, military, national day, parade, prince laurent, prince lorenz, princess astrid, princess claire, queen fabiola, queen mathilde, queen paola, te deum