The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2018, 05:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I feel that Emmanuel is a clone of his father at the same age, but Gabriel looks like a male version of his mother.

It is hard to believe that Elisabeth is only 16. Her confidence and poise are that of an adult. She is going to be the most eligible Princess in Europe some day and I cannot help but wonder who she will marry.

Her parents have done their jobs well.
I agree for Gabriel, he is definitely a mini Mathilde. And it is unbelievable to see Elisabeth...she is a completely different person from the reserved girl we saw in the past. She is so confident that she looks more like young woman than a 16 yo girl. She'll make her parents and the nation proud in the next few years.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:51 PM
Majesty

And a première in our Royal Family : she speaks Dutch fluently !

Old 07-21-2018, 05:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Indeed...I read that her Dutch is superior to her French, and that she required extra tutoring in French.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-21-2018, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Indeed...I read that her Dutch is superior to her French, and that she required extra tutoring in French.
I thought that the extra tutoring was needed because while speaking French at home her education is mainly in Flemish making it necessary to get extra lessons in French?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:13 PM
Courtier

The SECOND pic there has such a lovely closeup of Elisabeth.

I love the picture of her kissing the boy in the wheelchair, it was so kind of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I thought that the extra tutoring was needed because while speaking French at home her education is mainly in Flemish making it necessary to get extra lessons in French?
I think French is quite tricky when it comes to writing and since she does most of her reading/writing in Dutch, she probably needed tutoring in the written aspect of French, because she's quite fluent on it in a speaking manner
Old 07-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

I LOVED that photo of Lisa kissing the boy in the wheelchair. ..Princess Charming!

And yes it does make sense that she only needed assistance with writing French, it's her first language and the one she speaks at home.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-21-2018, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
I think French is quite tricky when it comes to writing and since she does most of her reading/writing in Dutch, she probably needed tutoring in the written aspect of French, because she's quite fluent on it in a speaking manner
I concur with that. Having been studying French myself since I was 11 (more than half my live now) I still make mistakes in written texts, so I believe her problems are there.

Back to the celebrations: did Philippe and Mathilde attend the fireworks show this year?
Old 07-22-2018, 02:00 AM
Administrator

They did, see here. I'm sure we'll get better photos later today.

** belga gallery - fireworks **
Old 07-22-2018, 05:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The photos of Prince Laurent and Princess Claire from the Mass in Ghent had a look of awkwardness the Prince did not look at all happy and had his usual sullen face.

In that regard Astrid and Laurent are truely sister and brother...
Old 07-22-2018, 05:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Her education up to now has been in Dutch, at home and with a lot of her friends she'll have spoken French. The extra tutoring was for French spelling.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:05 AM
Majesty

Greatest public attendance since years.

We missed King Albert II and Queen Paola. They could have leave their boat for some days for celebrating the King's 5 years reign.

In his speech the King spoke about his beloved King Baudouin who is his Model and in his two paintings he shows all his love.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Would have been lovely to see Queen Paola yesterday as mother of the king.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Greatest public attendance since years.

We missed King Albert II and Queen Paola. They could have leave their boat for some days for celebrating the King's 5 years reign.

In his speech the King spoke about his beloved King Baudouin who is his Model and in his two paintings he shows all his love.
It is very revealing that King Philippe speaks of his late uncle Baudouin as his role model...and NOT his very much alive father and predecessor King Albert.

The paintings that Philippe made of Baudouin are stunning. How I wish that Queen Fabiola could see them!

Old 07-22-2018, 08:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It is very revealing that King Philippe speaks of his late uncle Baudouin as his role model...and NOT his very much alive father and predecessor King Albert.
It's a natural thing. Many years Philippe was groomed as Baudouin's heir. When his father became a king, Philippe was already 33 years old. It was to late to look for new role model.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

They did, see here. I'm sure we'll get better photos later today.

** belga gallery - fireworks **
Not only the King and Queen, but also Princes Elisabeth and, for the first time, Prince Gabriel.

RTL -Info
Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

The paintings that Philippe made of Baudouin are stunning. How I wish that Queen Fabiola could see them!
It's not *that* revealing. Philippe was much closer to Baudouin than his own father, which is a well-known thing here in the Benelux at least.

And don't worry about Queen Fabiola, I'm sure she has already seen them from where she is now.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

The RTL article describes Elisabeth and Gabriel as the GRANDCHILDREN of Philippe and Mathilde.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The RTL article describes Elisabeth and Gabriel as the GRANDCHILDREN of Philippe and Mathilde.
No, it refers to them as their eldest children (grands enfants). Grandchildren is petits-enfants in French.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

The English translation of the article very clearly said grand children, so somebody dropped the ball!

Old 07-22-2018, 01:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The English translation of the article very clearly said grand children, so somebody dropped the ball!
The translation is weird, but technically correct. Grandchildren (no space bar) differs from grand children (space bar).

Tags
archduke lorenz, belgium, brussels, king albert ii, king philippe, military, national day, parade, prince laurent, prince lorenz, princess astrid, princess claire, queen fabiola, queen mathilde, queen paola, te deum