Abdication of Albert II and Oath of Philippe, 21 July 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The uniform is the 4star general uniform, after the abdication of his father K.Filip is now the boss of the nation's army..

I heard that, but I remember Albert wearing a beige uniform. Maybe the colour doesn't matter :)

Very nice speech of the king (including his German :D). I agree with how sweet it was how he adressed the new Queen. Can't wait for the balcony scene now :D
Now there are 101 fire shots, one every 30 seconds.

Filip is koning van België | VTM NIEUWS
Several video's of today

Last edited by a moderator:
ah, i didn't know that, they said in the vtr coverage that he is king of the belgians and not king of Belgium...

He really did it well, and Queen Mathilde and the Family is looking phantastic
I loooved it, when the entire Family was moved during the ceremony and tried to hide their tears
BYe Bine

Personally i also liked the 'european' note in the oath-taking

The couple looks really relaxed and confident and just completely ready for their new role :)

I wanted the see Astrid and Laurent and their spouses with the main royal family on the balcony. It was also very disappointing that none of Astrid and Laurent's children attended the abdication and oath ceremony. Hope to see them in national day celebrations.

So happy to have seen Mathilde's family. It is a pity her father wasn't there to see it !

I wanted the see Astrid and Laurent and their spouses with the main royal family on the balcony. It was also very disappointing that none of Astrid and Laurent's children attended the abdication and oath ceremony. Hope to see them in national day celebrations.

Astrid and Laurent with spouses were on the balcony. They were on the left balcony. Thought the third balcony would be used for their families, but they disappeared very quick....

Yes they were there , but somehow forgotten. I wanted to see them standing with Philippe and Mathilde and Albert and Paola.

King Philippe looked and did great in the Parliament, a bit nervous and emotional, but completely understandable. Loved the way he addressed Mathilde in parliament and that he kissed Mathilde's hand on the balcony. Truly a Great couple for Belgians.

It's the DM, so...Expected.

Just finished watching the coverage on the French language provider and I'm actually impressed by how much I was able to follow along w/. Usually I have a hard time following along w/native French speakers, as to me they speak too fast for my limited French language skills the Cdn school system gave me, but I was able to understand quite a bit of the Ceremonies today.

One last thing before I literally hit my bed...

Long Live King Philippe and Queen Mathilde!!! May God Bless and Keep Them!!!

King Filip just greeted the grave of the unknown soldier. Apparently someone shouted 'vive la republique'. Followed with some strong 'vive le roi'! ^^

after seeing this I think mathilde is my new favorite consort...she seems not only the perfect image of a modern queen-chic, poised, etc. but also like she adores her husband and can help him thru whatever may come in future. I hope my feeling is correct. and after hearing her speak elsewhere, her accent is something I could listen to for hours, lol.

Last edited:
Congratulations King Philippe & Queen Mathilde and Belgian Royal Family

A splendid ceremony in the throne of the Netherlands. Belgium has been preferred to a simple ceremony. Other countries do not have the royal families.

not that I want abdication for the other royal families but the hypothetical, not likely abdications would be on par with the pomp of the Netherlands I would think...it is more interesting to watch for one. this one was elegant and efficient.

Princess Mathilde's family. Mathilde's mother Anne, her sisters Helene and Elisabeth and her brother Charles Henri. In the 2nd row her brothers in law.
Look like her sister Helene is pregnant.

http://i41.tinypic.com/e5mxog.jpg

So disapoited, after seeing the show that the Dutch people put for the Coronoation of KW , here no tiara for Mathilde and no cape for KP , and the rest of the cp are all in norway celebrating MM bday! I wanted to see M in a gown with Tiara! and much more ceremony for an eent like this, too low key for me

So disapoited, after seeing the show that the Dutch people put for the Coronation of KW , here no tiara for Mathilde and no cape for KP , and the rest of the cp are all in norway celebrating MM bday! I wanted to see M in a gown with Tiara! and much more ceremony for an eent like this, too low key for me

You will really hate it then when Frederik one day becomes King of Denmark. That only involves the new king appearing on a balcony with the Prime Minister who proclaims the new monarch has accended the throne. Each monarchy handles it differently but only the British and to a lesser extent the Dutch do it with ceremonies involving robes, crowns and tiaras.

my honest opinion...the Belgian royals don't really enjoy their roles. They do their duty as required in a business like get it done and over way..one CEO is retiring and another taking his place. did not know about Denmark- what about Sweden, Norway and Spain? I guess I am not going to mind simplicity from them so much as they all strike me as warmer and more relatable anyway.

Last edited:
Princess Astrid and Lorenz brought 4 of their childern to the parade.

Only prince Amedeo is not present.

Back
Top Bottom