7th son or 7th daughter God Children Belgian Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps "godparents" is being used more broadly elsewhere, but the Belgian monarchy is Roman Catholic and quite conservative. (I think I would have expected this of Queen Elisabeth. And nobody else.)

Wouldn't the fact the Dutch princesses have a Catholic mother have something to do with their godparents?

I'm... really not sure how devout Queen Mathilde or the family managed to square that one, but there are still no godparents in Judaism. Perhaps it's some sort of purely honorary recognition, but I'm not surprised that family is anonymous. Calling it a godparent is a few religious laws getting broken by all sides.

I recall that the family of Zaineb Tebbi was Muslim (and I think there have been other Muslim seventh sons/daughters who became royal godchildren, although I haven't checked), so it is not the first time this tradition has been used as a non-religious honor.

What happened when a seventh daughter was born at a time when there was no queen of the Belgians, most recently between 1951 and 1960?

A piece of trivia which I found interesting.

Godfathers and godmothers

The King and the Queen are traditionally godfather or godmother to any child born as the seventh son or daughter in a row. This royal favour is not granted automatically. Children from a non-Belgian family that has been resident in Belgium for a long time are also eligible. Baudouin had 679 godchildren, and Fabiola 260. The godchildren often bore the name of their godparent. About 70 godchildren still meet regularly and so there have been cases of a Baudouin marrying a Fabiola.​

What was the cause of the ratio of seventh-son godsons to seventh-daughter goddaughters being so extremely skewed?

Last edited:

The King and the Queen are traditionally godfather or godmother to any child born as the seventh son or daughter in a row. This royal favour is not granted automatically. Children from a non-Belgian family that has been resident in Belgium for a long time are also eligible. Baudouin had 679 godchildren, and Fabiola 260. The godchildren often bore the name of their godparent. About 70 godchildren still meet regularly and so there have been cases of a Baudouin marrying a Fabiola.​

What was the cause of the ratio of seventh-son godsons to seventh-daughter goddaughters being so extremely skewed?

Are these figures just the 7th son etc godchilldren? Or their overall numbers?

Are these figures just the 7th son etc godchilldren? Or their overall numbers?

Given the context, I would think the former. Besides, it is not very likely that King Baudouin would have had several hundred godchildren on the basis of personal relationships alone.

That is the most obscure royal trivia that I have ever heard. Oddly according to the King James how to find witches handbook - the seventh child is blessed by God. Then again in that age - if you had seven children someone had to bless you. But also that made you doubly attractive to the influence of the devil.
Terry Pratchet also had the seventh son of the seventh son as the origins of wizards.

What happened when a seventh daughter was born at a time when there was no queen of the Belgians, most recently between 1951 and 1960?

I'd like to know this. As I'd like to know what will happen with 7th sons when Princess Elisabeth becomes Queen, meaning for the first time in the country's history there will be no King of the Belgians.

I'd like to know this. As I'd like to know what will happen with 7th sons when Princess Elisabeth becomes Queen, meaning for the first time in the country's history there will be no King of the Belgians.

Wouldn't her husband be a perfect godfather just like the king's wife is currently godmother to the 7th daughter?

It's an interesting thought. Maybe Prince Gabriel will be called into service, if they prefer a born royal with no chance of divorce?

:previous: I would think the Queen's husband, no matter his title, more likely.

It's the honor to have 'the monarch or consort'. Having the prince consort would be a far higher honor then having the queen's younger brother.

A born royal doesnt seem a concern. Queen consorts have been serving as godmother. I don't know why they would be any more concerned Elisabeth would get divorced and her husband no longer be prince consort.

I recall that the family of Zaineb Tebbi was Muslim (and I think there have been other Muslim seventh sons/daughters who became royal godchildren, although I haven't checked), so it is not the first time this tradition has been used as a non-religious honor.

There was a dowager queen at the time. Possibly Queen Elisabeth would have served as godmother? Elisabeth died in 1965.

Back
Top Bottom