200 Years after the Battle of Waterloo - 18 June 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
On June 18th there will be a commemoration in Waterloo for the 200th anniversary of the battle of Waterloo.

The British have their own commemoration at St. Paul's cathedral, but the Benelux monarchs and their spouses will gather in Waterloo itself.

https://www.waterloo2015.org/nl

http://www.vorsten.nl/2015/05/12/koning-had-keuze-voor-viering-waterloo/

Apparently they left it to the Dutch king to decide where the commemoration was to be held, as he descends from King Willem II, who was dubbed 'hero of Waterloo'.However due to the dominance of Anglo-Saxon history, the Dutch (and even Prussian) part in the victory is largely ignored or forgotten, even in The Netherlands. The focus is mainly on the British forces, research of the battle has been dominated by British military historians who do not understand our language and base their findings on British reports mainly.

http://ifthenisnow.nl/nl/gebeurtenissen/de-nederlanders-in-de-slag-bij-waterloo

I suppose no French representation will be there. The French government even prevented the Royal Belgian Mint to make a commemorative coin of the battle, as it commemorates a French defeat. Highly idiotic IMHO. They had to destroy all the 180.000 coins.

http://www.english.rfi.fr/economy/2...m-scrap-two-euro-coin-marking-battle-waterloo

Last edited:
:previous: And rightly so.
Because there were several minor battles in the days prior to Waterloo, not to mention that an not inconsiderable part of Wellington's army consisted of Dutch troops.

And Wellington himself admitted, it was close! Very close. Had it not been for the Prussians arriving literally at the crucial moment, the battle might have been lost.
And had not a considerable part of Napoleon's army kept up pursuing a Prussian force, rather than march towards the sound of the cannons, the battle would have been lost.

Some claim that the base of Wellington's victory was laid a day earlier at Quatre Bras, where Willem (II) went against Wellington's orders and decided to face the French. If he wouldn't have done that, the battle of Waterloo would have started a day earlier and the Prussians would have arrived a day too late.

Anyway, I suppose the royals can judge for themselves, as the battle will be re-enacted on June 19th and 20th. If they can get tickets for that of course, since it has been sold out ;). On the 18th there will be an opening show on the battle field called 'Inferno'.

200ste verjaardag van de Slag bij Waterloo - Grootse historische reconstructie

Last edited:
We didn't learn much about Waterloo in grade school here in the States. It is most likely in the college history classes. Let's see Waterloo was fought in Beligum. Wasn't it Napoleon as an outlaw and the French? Something about false intelligence and 300 thousand troops, the Prussians, Wellington claiming an infamous army, the Netherlands, no one knowing for certain when it began. The British were involved.

Well, the current events today have The States and China bickering. The states wants to sail sea and set air in disputed Chinese terrority. So, perhaps Waterloo has some points here Americans could note as we all try to keep our military outa China's busy work and territory claims. Dang if it isn't always something over here and the states wanting to help out without asking any of it's people.

There is some great Battle of Waterloo art, wow, the paintings are great. What an interesting battle. They outa teach about it in high school. Perhaps they do now a days. idk.

:previous: Eeh, you may have misread a couple of details. But the political situation leading up to Napoleon returning and the campaign culminating in the battle of Waterloo is certainly worth a study!

:previous:
:previous:I hope you will keep us well covered about this event. I would certainly very much like to see the reenacting. It's heaven for a uniform-nerd! :D

Hopefully the British royal family will dispatch someone to represent them.

The hat that Napoleon wore when he was fighting in Waterloo has arrived once again in Waterloo:

Hoed Napoleon terug in Waterloo | RTL Nieuws

On the 17th of June Princess Astrid will be present at Ferme d'Hougoumont , an outpost where the fights started. Also there will be HGD Guillaume, HGD Stephanie, the prince of Wales, the duchess of Cornwall and
prince Pieter-Christiaan of The Netherlands.

The king and queen of the Belgians invited descendants of the main commanders of the battle to a dinner at Laeken Palace ont he 17th. Present will be: 'Prince Blucher', 'Prince Napoleon', Prince Pieter-Christiaan of Orange-Nassau, the Earl of Mornington.
https://twitter.com/WDehandschutter/status/609354352755671040

I suppose prince Napoleon can be either father or son. Prince Blucher can be either Furst Nikolaus or his son Lucas.

The programme on the 18th will be attended by the king and queen of the Belgians, the king and queen of The Netherlands, the grand duke and grand duchess of Luxembourg, the duke of Kent.

Last edited:
And the Duke of Kent on June 18.

220.000 are expected during 3 days 18 - 19 - 20 /6. Cost 10 millions euros !
We living in Waterloo are asked not to take our cars these days from 02 pm until 03 am.

What time exactly is the tomorrow event with the royals?

The hat that Napoleon wore when he was fighting in Waterloo has arrived once again in Waterloo:

Hoed Napoleon terug in Waterloo | RTL Nieuws

On the 17th of June Princess Astrid will be present at Ferme d'Hougoumont , an outpost where the fights started. Also there will be HGD Guillaume, HGD Stephanie, the prince of Wales, the duchess of Cornwall and
prince Pieter-Christiaan of The Netherlands.

The king and queen of the Belgians invited descendants of the main commanders of the battle to a dinner at Laeken Palace ont he 17th. Present will be: 'Prince Blucher', 'Prince Napoleon', Prince Pieter-Christiaan of Orange-Nassau, the Earl of Mornington.
https://twitter.com/WDehandschutter/status/609354352755671040

I suppose prince Napoleon can be either father or son. Prince Blucher can be either Furst Nikolaus or his son Lucas.

The programme on the 18th will be attended by the king and queen of the Belgians, the king and queen of The Netherlands, the grand duke and grand duchess of Luxembourg, the duke of Kent.

Strange that Prince Pieter-Christiaan van Oranje-Nassau, Van Vollenhoven, no longer a member of the Royal House and no longer a successor to the throne, represents the King.

A reason could be that he is an active militair (Major at the Chief Staff Joint Operations of the Royal Marechaussee). My first thought for this sort of "jobs" would be his brother Prince Maurits van Oranje-Nassau, Van Vollenhoven, who is Aide-de-Camp Extraordinary to his cousin, His Majesty The King.

Some claim that the base of Wellington's victory was laid a day earlier at Quatre Bras, where Willem (II) went against Wellington's orders and decided to face the French. If he wouldn't have done that, the battle of Waterloo would have started a day earlier and the Prussians would have arrived a day too late.

Anyway, I suppose the royals can judge for themselves, as the battle will be re-enacted on June 19th and 20th. If they can get tickets for that of course, since it has been sold out ;). On the 18th there will be an opening show on the battle field called 'Inferno'.

200ste verjaardag van de Slag bij Waterloo - Grootse historische reconstructie

The funny thing is that 20.000 troops from the Kingdom of the Netherlands (and 3.000 from the principality of Nassau) engaged in the Battle of Waterloo. The famous monument, the Lion of Waterloo, was erected in order of King Willem I of the Netherlands.

The King of the Belgians will host the festivities but in fact he has no "history" in there, on the contrary - he reigns the part which kicked the King of the Netherlands out.... The Count von Blücher-Wahlstatt will represent his ancestor, the Prussian commander. The Duke of Wellington will represent his ancestor, the British commander. The Prince Napoléon will represent his ancestor the French commander. The King of the Netherlands will represent his ancestor, the Dutch commander. Grand-Duke Henri will represent his ancestor, the commander of the Nassau contingent. I am not sure if the Royal House of Hannover will be represented, as they were fighting under British joint allied command.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Napoleon bears a resemblance to his ancestor. His height is surprising though.

Last edited:
At the Battlefield Prince Napoleon Father and at the Royal Palace Prince Napoleon Sun !
I don't understand.

Strange that Prince Pieter-Christiaan van Oranje-Nassau, Van Vollenhoven, no longer a member of the Royal House and no longer a successor to the throne, represents the King.

A reason could be that he is an active militair (Major at the Chief Staff Joint Operations of the Royal Marechaussee). My first thought for this sort of "jobs" would be his brother Prince Maurits van Oranje-Nassau, Van Vollenhoven, who is Aide-de-Camp Extraordinary to his cousin, His Majesty The King.

It is even more strange that HRH The Prince of Wales was present at a lower profile event with HRH Princess Astrid of Belgium (5th in line to throne) and HH Prince Pieter-Christian van Oranje-Nassau, van Vollenhoven (not in the line of succession and not a member of the Dutch royal house), whereas, in the main event on Thursday, where the King of the Netherlands, the King of the Belgians and the Grand Duke of Luxembourg will be present, the British royal house will be represented by HRH The Duke of Kent (34th in line to the throne !).

The funny thing is that 20.000 troops from the Kingdom of the Netherlands (and 3.000 from the principality of Nassau) engaged in the Battle of Waterloo. The famous monument, the Lion of Waterloo, was erected in order of King Willem I of the Netherlands.

The King of the Belgians will host the festivities but in fact he has no "history" in there, on the contrary - he reigns the part which kicked the King of the Netherlands out.... The Count von Blücher-Wahlstatt will represent his ancestor, the Prussian commander. The Duke of Wellington will represent his ancestor, the British commander. The Prince Napoléon will represent his ancestor the French commander. The King of the Netherlands will represent his ancestor, the Dutch commander. Grand-Duke Henri will represent his ancestor, the commander of the Nassau contingent. I am not sure if the Royal House of Hannover will be represented, as they were fighting under British joint allied command.

The King of the Belgians will of course host the festivities because Waterloo is in Belgium, even though Belgium was not an independent country at the time and Philippe's ancestor, King Leopold I, only came to power in 1831.

Very thoughtful also to invite descendants of the Emperor Napoleon I instead of some representative of the current French republic !

The Brits have their own commemoration tomorrow, which will be attended by the prince of Wales and his wife too.

A nice idea to invite descendents of the commanders btw. I assume prince Constantijn was too busy, though he lives in Brussels. The Marques and Marchioness of Douro seem to come straight from a model agency. Sportive of prince Napoleon to attend, a pity the French government was petty about the commemortion.

It seems that the duke of Wellington, his heir and Lord Frederick Wellesey showed up. I assume the duke went home to be on time for the event tomorrow? Frst Blucher also seemed accompanied by his son. Prince Jean Christophe Napoleon and his father Charles seemed to have decided the events between them.

maria-olivia said:
220.000 are expected during 3 days 18 - 19 - 20 /6. Cost 10 millions euros !
We living in Waterloo are asked not to take our cars these days from 02 pm until 03 am.

Will you try to see something of the festivities too maria-olivia?

Last edited:
It is better for Security reasons that the Prince of Wales came to-day , all the aera will be closed to-morrow and two evenings more.

It was great to see the new Duke of Westminster, Prince of Waterloo (his Father died beginning this year and was 100 years old), the Prince of Blucher and the Prince Napoleon Father to-gether

It should have been better if The Prince of Wales went to Hougoumont Farm , (Brittish land) with HM King Albert II. and Queen Paola .

Thank you for the pictures.

I am confused about the Wellesley family titles though. Isn't Arthur Gerald Wellesley, the heir apparent to the current Duke of Wellington, addressed by the courtesy title of Marquess of Douro, whereas his son (and second in line to the dukedom), Arthur Darcy Wellesley, holds the courtesy title of Earl of Mornington ?

You are right. I assume the titles got mixed up by the press as the previous duke died recently and Earl Mornington became Marquess of Douro etc. I didn't see the official statement of the palace so i do not know if the press copied it from the palace or not.

Group Picture :
First row
Prince Jean Christophe Napoleon (the head of the House)(his Father was at Hougumont), Prince Blücher (who was at Laeken and at Hougoumont with the Prince of Wales!), Arthur and Jemma Wellesley I presume the Duke of Wellington's Children .
Second row
Lord Wellesley, Pieter Christian van Vollenhoven, The Hed Grand Dukes of Luxembourg, Countess and Count Nicolas Blücher (the Prince Children ?).

Duke et Pair will certainly explain correctly the titles of the Descendants of the Duke of Welllington.

:previous:

Paul Theroff has them all updated in the family genealogy:

Wellington

Last edited:
I had to check, but apparently the scholarship in the US was in April and May:
Prins Constantijn hooguit een 'digitale hulpkoning' | NOS

Apparently they are moving to The Hague 'this summer':
Prins Constantijn verhuist naar Den Haag|Binnenland| Telegraaf.nl

So he could be in Brussels but perhaps is otherwise engaged. I suppose PC is one of the few with a military rank (Lieutenant colonel) so in a way appropriate here perhaps.

We can only respect Prince Constantijn for pursuing an own serious career, like his late brother Prince Friso. So now and then joining the King for public representation, I think that fits in the monarchy anno 2015.

Prince Pieter-Christiaan has climbed up in his long career, I see. From Major to Lieutenant-Colonel (Overste), with one golden bar and two golden stars - see an example is close to the highest ranks (Brigadier, etc.) So he is -after the King who has laid down his active military functions- the highest military in the royal family. His brother is a few ranks lower: a Lieutenant-at-Sea. If it is about military ranks, yes... then Prince Pieter-Christiaan was more logic than Prince Constantijn, who really has nothing with the military and maybe had no any desire to be in Waterloo.

Last edited:
The Marques and Marchioness of Douro seem to come straight from a model agency.

Actually Jemma Wellesley used to be a fashion model and is the sister of Jodie Kidd, one of the top models of her day.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom