The Great Royal Quiz

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyK

Moderator Emeritus
City
Cincinnati
Country
United States
I have been collecting trivia, information, and questions about the royals, and have decided to challenge all of you: how well do you know the world's royalty? Do you know the little details? Because now here's the quiz. These questions are not meant to be really easy, and no one is meant to know them all, off the top of their heads, unless you are a royal whiz kid. The questions are sorted by categories, following the way TRF has sorted the forums. All the answers can be found here on TRF, or on the Royal families's websites, but they might be just a sentence here or there.

I wrote all the questions myself, and I have checked my sources- all the questions are correct. However, if you think something is too confusing, or not completely correct, then please let me know. (And along these lines, as I have done this, please do not use this quiz, or it's questions, on any other site, without first receiving my permission)​

I'll post the questions here now, but I ask two things:

First, for the challenge, please try to do all this yourself at least once. Just for fun. However, if you do just want to look them up, go ahead-I'm not looking over your shoulder!

Secondly, and more importantly, Please Put Your Answers In White, or Off-White, or Pale Yellow!! This will help other members who haven't read the quiz yet, and who want to figure out the answers themselves. To read a post that is written in white, select it with your mouse, and then you can read it, or hit quote, and read it. (then hit cancel, so you aren't posting). (-To post in white, there is an A with a black bar beneath it, pull down the menu and select the color. The A is next to the Underline symbol, in the regular post, or the font, in the quote or advanced posting. It will read . Write your reply between the two items, and you are golden!)

Last edited:
It seems a funny game! :w00t: .. bring the questions LadyK! :)

Lady K,
Sounds fun! Bring it on!

I'll post the quiz parts by category, so, first on the list, are

The British Royals

This is a quiz about Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh; Charles, Prince of Wales; Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall; Princes William and Harry of Wales, and some about Princess Diana of Wales. I will post another at a later date that will include the other members of the British Royal Family, and more on Princess Diana, and possibly more on William and Harry. I'll post the answers to this part in another post.​

Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

What month is the Queen's real birthday? And in what month is her official birthday celebrated?

The (then) Princess Elizabeth helped out with the war effort during World War II. What job did she do?

When Prince Philip met Princess Elizabeth, what branch of military was he serving in?

Prince Philip, at birth, was titled Prince Philip of Greece and ______. What country?

How is Prince Philip related to the current king of Greece, King Constantine II?

Where was Princess Elizabeth when she became Queen Elizabeth II? (when her father died).

When the Queen signs a document, how does she sign it?

Every year, Queen Elizabeth II has attended the Opening of Parliament. Except for two years- 1959 and 1963. What happened in those two years that she couldn't attend?

Queen Elizabeth II has had ten Prime Ministers serve underneath her. Can you name the first and the last? (hint: both were mentioned during "The Queen")

The Queen famously loves her dogs, and one particular breed of dogs she loves the most, one she's had for years. What breed is it?

The Queen "created" a new breed of dog, crossbred from her favorite dog and one of Princess Margaret's dachshunds. What is the new breed?

Queen Elizabeth II races horses at Ascot. (actually, she owns the horses, but wouldn't it be funny if she was the jockey?:ROFLMAO:) What color are her silks?

the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

When Queen Elizabeth II was crowned queen, did Prince Charles immediately become Prince of Wales?

Fill in the blank: In Scotland, Charles is not always known as the Prince of Wales. Instead he is often styled HRH Prince Charles, the _____ of ______.

Prince Charles runs a farm where he grows plants in a specific agricultural method. It is also a passion of his. What is this method?

The Prince of Wales's official residence in London is Clarence House. However, he has only lived there since Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother's, death. What was his residence prior to that?

Why was the marriage of Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles, now the Duchess of Cornwall, delayed by one day?

What is Camilla's full name?

What was Camilla's maiden name?

What serious surgery did the Duchess of Cornwall recently undergo?

Prince William and Prince Harry
What is Prince William's full official title?

What did Wiliiam major in when he started at St. Andrews

What was his final degree?

What regiment does Prince Harry serve in? (*note: this is possible to change, but the answer refers to that of the date of the quiz)

Princess Diana (her funeral)

What touching and heart-wrenching item did Prince Harry add to the his and William's bouquet of white roses atop his mother's coffin? (it made me tear up)

Five men, dressed in black, slowly followed behind Diana's coffin, heads down, as it was transported through London during her funeral. Name the five men.

What was the name of the song Elton John sang at Princess Diana's funeral? He rewrote it just for her.

What was the original name of the song, and who was it originally written for, before he changed the lyrics?

Who's idea was it to have Elton John sing at Princess Diana's funeral?

What lovely tiara was associated with the Princess of Wales? The tiara was from the British Royal Family, it was given to her for life. Although she wore the Spencer family tiara on her wedding day, she afterwards, she often chose to wear this one.

These seem a little easy... Good Luck! Will post more later

Last edited:
This will be fun! Thanks LadyK for doing this. I can already guess which fellow posters are going to do well on which parts of the quiz. As for me this will be a challenge.

What month is the Queen's real birthday? And in what month is her official birthday celebrated?

21 April 1926, publically celebrated in June

The (then) Princess Elizabeth helped out with the war effort during World War II. What job did she do?

Women's Auxillary Territorial Service

When Prince Philip met Princess Elizabeth, what branch of military was he serving in?

Midshipman to HMS RAMILLIES

Prince Philip, at birth, was titled Prince Philip of Greece and What country?

Denmark

How is Prince Philip related to the current king of Greece, King Constantine II?

He is his Great Uncle (I think)

Where was Princess Elizabeth when she became Queen Elizabeth II? (when her father died).

Sagana Lodge, Kenya

ER

Every year, Queen Elizabeth II has attended the Opening of Parliament. Except for two years- 1959 and 1963. What happened in those two years that she couldn't attend?

She bore children

Queen Elizabeth II has had ten Prime Ministers serve underneath her. Can you name the first and the last? (hint: both were mentioned during "The Queen")

Sir Winston Churchill & Tony Blair

The Queen famously loves her dogs, and one particular breed of dogs she loves the most, one she's had for years. What breed is it?

Pembroke Welsh Corgi

The Queen "created" a new breed of dog, crossbred from her favorite dog and one of Princess Margaret's dachshunds. What is the new breed?

Dorgi

Queen Elizabeth II races horses at Ascot. (actually, she owns the horses, but wouldn't it be funny if she was the jockey?:ROFLMAO:) What color are her silks

Purple, gold, scarlet and black

Last edited:
very good madame royal- however, you did get some wrong! I'm not saying which!

Aurora810- I also have a few members whom I know will do very well, particularly in certain categories. I'm most interested, though, in who does very well in all the categories- I have a few tricks up my sleeve left! If you, or anyone, can answer these all correctly, for all all the categories, just by memory, then you deserve some sort of prize!
I'll probably post answers (in white, so you don't have to read them) either tomarrow after work, or later this week. any preferences?
Next up, Belgium!!!

Last edited:
This question seems a bit tasteless.

What unflattering name did Princess Diana refer to Camilla as?

Yes, I know that Diana called Camilla a Rottweiler and Camilla called Diana that ridiculous creature - it doesn't take a royal expert to figure that out, just an avid reader of the Daily Mail - but is there any sense in bringing all that up again?

The other questions in the quiz were far more interesting and tasteful.

Hi there. I am going to edit the above post so that the answers are in white, as you requested. And also so that we can all take the quiz without having seen all of the answers beforehand.:flowers:

ysbel said:
This question seems a bit tasteless.

Yes, I know that Diana called Camilla a Rottweiler and Camilla called Diana that ridiculous creature - it doesn't take a royal expert to figure that out, just an avid reader of the Daily Mail - but is there any sense in bringing all that up again?

The other questions in the quiz were far more interesting and tasteful.

I found it a little humourous, when taken out of context, (much more interesting than Milla), but I have deleted that question. I'm glad you find the questions interesting- some of them I didn't even know before compiling this quiz!!!

Well if you are looking for interesting royal related questions on Charles and Camilla (and since I see you are interested in tiaras.) here are a couple of questions that you may want to include in the Prince Charles and Camilla section:

Who were the guests of honor at the first event where Camilla's wore her first tiara?

King and Queen of Norway along with Crownprince Haakon and Crownprincess Mette-Marit.

What tiara did Camilla wear for her first tiara event and what Queen was it originally made for?

Delhi Durbar tiara originally made for Queen Mary's coronation as Empress of India.

Who was the last Queen to have worn this tiara and where was the occasion?

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in South Africa.

What other famous tiara has Camilla worn and which former Queen is it most associated with?

Boucheron honeycomb tiara associated with the Queen Mother

What was the first U.S. city Charles and Camilla visited and what was the occasion?

New York City and a visit to the WTC memorial along with opening of the British Gardens

What was the last U.S. city Charles and Camilla visited and what was the occasion?

Philadelphia where Charles received an environmental reward.

can't we use Spoiler tags instead? other message boards have it.

Here's my answers

What month is the Queen's real birthday? And in what month is her official birthday celebrated? April 21, 1926 and June

The (then) Princess Elizabeth helped out with the war effort during World War II. What job did she do? driver

When Prince Philip met Princess Elizabeth, what branch of military was he serving in? Navy

Prince Philip, at birth, was titled Prince Philip of Greece and ______. What country?Denmark

How is Prince Philip related to the current king of Greece, King Constantine II? first cousins, once removed

Where was Princess Elizabeth when she became Queen Elizabeth II? (when her father died). Kenya

When the Queen signs a document, how does she sign it? ER

Every year, Queen Elizabeth II has attended the Opening of Parliament. Except for two years- 1959 and 1963. What happened in those two years that she couldn't attend? She was expecting Prince Andrew in '59 and Prince Edward in '63

Queen Elizabeth II has had ten Prime Ministers serve underneath her. Can you name the first and the last? (hint: both were mentioned during "The Queen") Sir Winston Churchill and Tony Blair

The Queen famously loves her dogs, and one particular breed of dogs she loves the most, one she's had for years. What breed is it? Pembroke Welsh Corgi's

The Queen "created" a new breed of dog, crossbred from her favorite dog and one of Princess Margaret's dachshunds. What is the new breed? Dorgi's

Queen Elizabeth II races horses at Ascot. What color are her silks? purple, gold, scarlet, and black

When Queen Elizabeth II was crowned queen, did Prince Charles immediately become Prince of Wales? July 26, 1958

Fill in the blank: In Scotland, Charles is not always known as the Prince of Wales. Instead he is often styled HRH Prince Charles, the Duke of Rothesay.

Prince Charles runs a farm where he grows plants in a specific agricultural method. It is also a passion of his. What is this method? organic

The Prince of Wales's official residence in London is Clarence House. However, he has only lived there since Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother's, death. What was his residence prior to that? York House, St. James's Palace

Why was the marriage of Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles, now the Duchess of Cornwall, delayed by one day? the funeral of Pope John Paul

What is Camilla's full name? Camilla Rosemary Mountbatten-Windsor

What was Camilla's maiden name? Shand

What serious surgery did the Duchess of Cornwall recently undergo? hysterectomy

What is Prince William's full official title? His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales

What did Wiliiam major in when he started at St. Andrews? Art History

What was his final degree? Geography

What regiment does Prince Harry serve in? Commodores-in-chief

What touching and heart-wrenching item did Prince Harry add to the his and William's bouquet of white roses atop his mother's coffin? (it made me tear up) a card/letter that said "Mummy"

Five men, dressed in black, slowly followed behind Diana's coffin, heads down, as it was transported through London during her funeral. Name the five men. Prince Philip, Prince William, Charles Spencer, Prince Harry, and Prince Charles

What was the name of the song Elton John sang at Princess Diana's funeral? He rewrote it just for her. "Candle in the Wind 1997"

What was the original name of the song, and who was it originally written for, before he changed the lyrics? "Candle in the Wind" written for Marilyn Monroe

Who's idea was it to have Elton John sing at Princess Diana's funeral? Diana's family

What lovely tiara was associated with the Princess of Wales? The tiara was from the British Royal Family, it was given to her for life. Although she wore the Spencer family tiara on her wedding day, she afterwards, she often chose to wear this one. Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Last edited:
Hey just a little suggestion maybe for next time we can number the questions then when we do our answers we can just put the number and the answer next to it(ex. #1-Diana, #2-Prince Harry). Just a suggestion for what it's worth.

sure- I'll do that next time.
Rhapsody Brat- spoiler tags- are those when you just write "spoiler" at the top of your post? Personally, I always find I acidentally read those anyway, so I recommended white, but I'm not going to boss you all.
Aurora- you sounded hesitant before, but your answers are good-really good- I wondered if you had seen my list of answers! But again, you missed a couple.

Anyone else think they can do better?

This quiz is a great idea, LadyK ! However, I'm not going to take part in the questions on the British royals since I don't know much about them. But I will definitely have a try at the questions about Belgium and Monaco.

How will we know which ones we got right and which ones are wrong? Will the answers be posted at some point?

Yes, I did better then I thought I would. I was surprised too. But in America the British royal family is what we hear about the most. And from time to time Monaco also. But the couple that peaked my interest enough and really got me into royalty and the forums was Felipe and Letizia. All the reports about the uproar of him marrying a divorcee, got me curious. So maybe I'll do well on the sections about F & L. We'll see how I do on others but if nothing else I figure I can use it as a way to learn about the other RF's.

Last edited:
Real birthday: April, Official birthday: June

Navy

Prince Philip, at birth, was titled Prince Philip of Greece and ______. What country?
Denmark

His father was a brother of King Constantin II.'s grandfather King Constantin I.
Georg I. - Andrew - Philip
Georg I. - Constantin I. - Paul I. - Constantin II.

Where was Princess Elizabeth when she became Queen Elizabeth II? (when her father died). #
Kenia

She was pregnant. Prince Andrew was born in Februara 1960 and Prince Edward in march 1964

First: Winston Churchill
Last: Tony Blair

Queen Elizabeth II races horses at Ascot. (actually, she owns the horses, but wouldn't it be funny if she was the jockey?:ROFLMAO:) What color are her silks?

When Queen Elizabeth II was crowned queen, did Prince Charles immediately become Prince of Wales?
No he was proclaimed Prince of Wales on 26.07.1957 and his Investitur took place on 01.07.1969

Fill in the blank: In Scotland, Charles is not always known as the Prince of Wales. Instead he is often styled HRH Prince Charles, the _____ of ______.
Duke of Rothesay

Prince Charles runs a farm where he grows plants in a specific agricultural method. It is also a passion of his. What is this method?

The Prince of Wales's official residence in London is Clarence House. However, he has only lived there since Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother's, death. What was his residence prior to that?
St. James Palace

Why was the marriage of Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles, now the Duchess of Cornwall, delayed by one day?
because of the Funeral of Pope John Paul II. where Prince Charles represented his mother

What is Camilla's full name?
Camilla Rosemary Windsor, née Shand, divorced Parker Bowles

What was Camilla's maiden name?
Shand

What serious surgery did the Duchess of Cornwall recently undergo?
Hysterectomy

What is Prince William's full official title?
Prince of the Great Brtain and Nothern Ireland, he is styled as Prince William of Wales

What did Wiliiam major in when he started at St. Andrews

What was his final degree?

What regiment does Prince Harry serve in? (*note: this is possible to change, but the answer refers to that of the date of the quiz)
What touching and heart-wrenching item did Prince Harry add to the his and William's bouquet of white roses atop his mother's coffin? (it made me tear up)

Five men, dressed in black, slowly followed behind Diana's coffin, heads down, as it was transported through London during her funeral. Name the five men.
Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, Prince William, Prince Harry. Earl Charles Spencer

What was the name of the song Elton John sang at Princess Diana's funeral? He rewrote it just for her.
Goodbye englands Rose

What was the original name of the song, and who was it originally written for, before he changed the lyrics?

What lovely tiara was associated with the Princess of Wales? The tiara was from the British Royal Family, it was given to her for life. Although she wore the Spencer family tiara on her wedding day, she afterwards, she often chose to wear this one.
Cambridge Lovers Knote Tiara

Last edited:
Well if you are looking for interesting royal related questions on Charles and Camilla (and since I see you are interested in tiaras.) here are a couple of questions that you may want to include in the Prince Charles and Camilla section:

Who were the guests of honor at the first event where Camilla's wore her first tiara?
King Harald V. and queen Sonja of Norway, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway

What tiara did Camilla wear for her first tiara event and what Queen was it originally made for?
Delhi Durbar Tiara

Who was the last Queen to have worn this tiara and where was the occasion?
the late Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth during the reign of her husband KIng George VI. on the State Opening of the Parlimanent in South Africa

What other famous tiara has Camilla worn and which former Queen is it most associated with?

Boucheron Honeycoomb Tiara which was inherited by the late Queen Elizabeth the Queenmother from the Hon. Mrs Ronald Greville

What was the first U.S. city Charles and Camilla visited and what was the occasion?

What was the last U.S. city Charles and Camilla visited and what was the occasion?

Last edited:
The Answers

What month is the Queen's real birthday? And in what month is her official birthday celebrated? April, June

The (then) Princess Elizabeth helped out with the war effort during World War II. What job did she do? She was a driver. This is actually when she first learned to drive! She served in the Women’s Auxiliary Territorial Service, and was known as 230873 Second Subaltern Elizabeth Windsor

He was serving in His Majesty's Royal Navy (the British navy) It was supposedly love at first sight for the princess.

Prince Philip, at birth, was titled Prince Philip of Greece and ______. What country? Denmark. His grandfather King George I of Greece, was born the second son of King Christian IX of Denmark (his mother was Princess Alice of Battenburg)

How is Prince Philip related to the current king of Greece, King Constantine II? Philip is Constantine’s cousin, once removed. Philip’s father, Prince Andrew was the younger brother of King Constantine I of Greece, who was the father of King Paul I, and grandfather of the current Greek king, Constantine II. That would make Prince Philip and King Paul I cousins, and then King Constantine II and Prince Philip would be cousins once removed. Prince Charles and King Constantine II would be second cousins.

Where was Princess Elizabeth when she became Queen Elizabeth II? (when her father died). At a treetop hotel, at the top of a hill, in Kenya

When the Queen signs a document, how does she sign it? Elizabeth R. I can't believe that this is the one that tripped you up! She signs Elizabeth R, always. (and I checked this with her official website!)

Every year, Queen Elizabeth II has attended the Opening of Parliament. Except for two years- 1959 and 1963. What happened in those two years that she couldn't attend? She was pregnant, with Prince Andrew (1959) and Prince Edward (1963)

Queen Elizabeth II has had ten Prime Ministers serve underneath her. Can you name the first and the last? (hint: both were mentioned during "The Queen") Winston Churchill, and Tony Blair

The Queen famously loves her dogs, and one particular breed of dogs she loves the most, one she's had for years. What breed is it? Her corgis!

The Queen "created" a new breed of dog, crossbred from her favorite dog and one of Princess Margaret's dachshunds. What is the new breed? dorgi. (I wondered if mentioning Margaret's dachshund was to much of a hint)

Queen Elizabeth II races horses at Ascot. (actually, she owns the horses, but wouldn't it be funny if she was the jockey?:ROFLMAO:) What color are her silks? Purple body with gold braid, scarlet sleeves and black velvet cap with gold fringe

When Queen Elizabeth II was crowned queen, did Prince Charles immediately become Prince of Wales? No. I'm suprised no one got tripped up by that! Although he immediately became Heir Apparent to the throne, the title of Prince of Wales, although associated with the heir, must be conferred by the monarch. Charles was created the Prince of Wales on July 26, 1958, but his formal investiture was on July 1, 1969. I once saw a program about the investiture, which was produced for tv by Lord Snowdon to bring attention to the monarchy, and supposedly the ball atop the crown which the queen placed upon his head was too heavy for him to wear for the ceremony, as it was solid gold, so they used a tennis ball and painted it gold. I don’t know if that’s true, but it sure would be funny!

Duke of Rothsay.

Prince Charles runs a farm where he grows plants in a specific agricultural method. It is also a passion of his. What is this method? Organic Farming. Prince Charles is passionate about the environment, and other associated causes.

The Prince of Wales's official residence in London is Clarence House. However, he has only lived there since Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother's, death. What was his residence prior to that? St. James' Palace

Why was the marriage of Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles, now the Duchess of Cornwall, delayed by one day? This was delayed by one day, from April 8, 2005, to April 9, 2005, out of respect for Pope John Paul II who had just passed away, and to allow Prince Charles and other VIPs to attend his funeral, held on April 8.

What is Camilla's full name? Camilla Rosemary Mountbatten-Windsor

What was Camilla's maiden name? Shand

What serious surgery did the Duchess of Cornwall recently undergo? A hysterectomy. Although they confirmed that she doesn’t have cancer, no specific reason has been released as to the reason.

What is Prince William's full official title? Prince William of Wales (his full name is William Arthur Philip Louis) (according to royal websites)

What did Wiliiam major in when he started at St. Andrews? Art History

What was his final degree? Geography

Blues and Royals (how fitting!)

What touching and heart-wrenching item did Prince Harry add to the his and William's bouquet of white roses atop his mother's coffin? (it made me tear up) a white note card on which Harry wrote 'Mummy'. It reminds you that, although he and William were so mature and royal during that time, Harry was just a boy, who had lost the rock of his life.

Five men, dressed in black, slowly followed behind Diana's coffin, heads down, as it was transported through London during her funeral. Name the five men. In order, they were Prince Philip, Prince Harry, Earl Spencer, Prince William, and Prince Charles.

What was the name of the song Elton John sang at Princess Diana's funeral? He rewrote it just for her. "Goodbye England's Rose"
”Goodbye England’s rose
May you ever grow in our hearts,
You were the grace that placed itself
Where lives where torn apart. You called out to our country,
And you whispered to those in pain.
Now you belong to Heaven, And the stars spell out your name.
And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind,
Never fading with the sunset When the rain set in.
And your footsteps will always fall here
Along England’s greenest hills.
Your candle burned out long before
Your legend ever will.”​

What was the original name of the song, and who was it originally written for, before he changed the lyrics? "Candle in the Wind". It was originally written for Marilyn Monroe, but after Diana died, he changed the lyrics to apply to Diana, and also changed the title.

Prince William. Suprised?

The Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara

Lady K,

Are you sure about the "Candle in the Wind" question? Because I have that single and it doesn't have the song titled "Goodbye England's Rose" it has it titled as "Candle in the Wind 1997" And I also just went to wikipedia.com and it shows the cover of the single just like I have and it also shows how it was titled on the Billboard Charts in the U.S. and in the U.K.

I know how annoying am I! I don't mean to be picky about this! I apologize for my perfectionistic nature! Please don't get mad!

Just being nitpicky...Bernie Taupin writes the lyrics to Elton's John's songs.

Bernie Taupin wrote the lyrics to the original song in 1972 in homage to his favorite actress. Elton John wrote the music. After Diana died, Elton asked Bernie to come up with new lyrics for a tribute to Diana and he did.

Elton himself didn't re-write anything, the same melody was used as the original song, just the lyrics were changed by Bernie - you're talking to a real hardcore Elton John fan here. I bought the original album the song was on when it was released.

This particular song wasn't very famous at the time. The two most famous songs from the album were Bennie and the Jets and Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting.

It was a groundbreaking album and Elton's first really big commercially successful album.

Technically, according to the programs, it was called "Goodbye England's Rose", but was also released as "Candle in the Wind 1997". Why the two names, I don't know.
I didn't know about Elton's songwriter- I thought he rewrote those lyrics himself! Well, good job Bernie.

I just found a place where it is titled like this "Candle in the Wind 1997(Goodbye England's Rose)" Now could they make it anymore confusing for our quiz? Anyways, it doens't matter it's a great song and a great tribute no matter what the original title. I can't be concerned about this when I have to start reading up on Belgium RF.;)

Im waiting for the Spanish Royal Family Quiz.. to play! :flowers:

LadyK said:
Where was Princess Elizabeth when she became Queen Elizabeth II? (whenher father died).At a treetop hotel, at the top of a hill, in Kenya

The then Duchess of Edinburgh wasn't at the Treetops Hotel but at Sagana Lodge (at the foothills of Mount Kenya which had been a wedding present to the Edinburghs) where she learnt the news of her fathers passing. Prince Phillip, upon being woken by a member of the royal entourage (he was resting) took Elizabeth out into the garden where he broke the devastating news to her.​

Great thread, Lady K. Light and entertaining.​

Last edited:
We are both right. I didn't mean the Treetops Hotel, but the Sagana Lodge (which I couldn't remember the name of it). The lodge itself, or atleast the room, was in a treetop, according to Philip and Elizabeth. The saying is "She went up the hill a princess, and came down a queen."

Prince Philip was the one who actually had to tell the new queen, he was alerted by an aide, who thought it best that he tell her.

Belgium (well, mostly about King Albert II, Queen Paola, King Baudouin, Queen Fabiola, and the Duke and Duchess of Brabant and family) will be posted tonight!

Last edited:
We are both right. I didn't mean the Treetops Hotel, but the Sagana Lodge (which I couldn't remember the name of it). The lodge itself, or atleast the room, was in a treetop, according to Philip and Elizabeth. The saying is "She went up the hill a princess, and came down a queen."

Sagana Lodge is not in a tree canopy so I'm not certain as to 'the' room being in a treeptop. I to have read Phillip and Elizabeth and can't recall sighting that part..I'll have another look though incase I have missed something which is of course possible in a mere moment of temporary distraction.

Prince Philip was the one who actually had to tell the new queen, he was alerted by an aide, who thought it best that he tell her.

Yep, as I had mentioned.

Keep up the good work with any futre quizzes.

Last edited:
Apologies to Lady_K for hijacking the thread, but I would like to try another sort of quiz here, albeit an easy one. Simular quizzes have been posted at the Royal Quizzes MB.
-
Who are we? In this case it is a closed cirlcle, and only one of the people involved has deceased.All reigning European houses are represented in this quiz.

1) I am a King who just celebrated his birthday
2) I am his 1st cousin and am also on a throne
3) I am a brother-in-law of number 2
4) I am the daughter of number 3
5) I am the brother-in-law of number 4
6) I am the daughter-in-law of number 5
7) I am the sister of number 6
8) I am the mother-in-law of number 7
9) I am the ex brother-in-law of number 8
10) I am a cousin of number 9 and I can not stand him
11)* I was the uncle of 10
12) I am the goddaughter of number 11
13) I am the ex brother-in-law of number 12
14) I am a 1st cousin of number 13, I never reigned over the country that I became a Queen of.
15) I am the husband of number 14
16) I am a first cousin of the mother of number 15 and I am outranked by my wife
17) I am a first cousin of number 14 and a second cousin of number 16 and have 3 children
18) I am a first cousin of number 17
19) I am the wife of number 18, his second one
20) I am a 1st cousin of number 18 and a 1st cousin-in-law of number 20
21) I am the sister-in-law of number 20 and I am a reigning monarch
22) I am a 1st cousin of number 21 and a 2nd cousin of number 1

* = the deceased one

Who are we?

Marengo said:
Apologies to Lady_K for hijacking the thread, but I would like to try another sort of quiz here, albeit an easy one. Simular quizzes have been posted at the Royal Quizzes MB.
-
Who are we? In this case it is a closed cirlcle, and only one of the people involved has deceased.All reigning European houses are represented in this quiz.

1) I am a King who just celebrated his birthday
2) I am his 1st cousin and am also on a throne
3) I am a brother-in-law of number 2
4) I am the daughter of number 3
5) I am the brother-in-law of number 4
6) I am the daughter-in-law of number 5
7) I am the sister of number 6
8) I am the mother-in-law of number 7
9) I am the ex brother-in-law of number 8
10) I am a cousin of number 9 and I can not stand him
11)* I was the uncle of 10
12) I am the goddaughter of number 11
13) I am the ex brother-in-law of number 12
14) I am a 1st cousin of number 13, I never reigned over the country that I became a Queen of.
15) I am the husband of number 14
16) I am a first cousin of the mother of number 15 and I am outranked by my wife
17) I am a first cousin of number 14 and a second cousin of number 16 and have 3 children
18) I am a first cousin of number 17
19) I am the wife of number 18, his second one
20) I am a 1st cousin of number 18 and a 1st cousin-in-law of number 20
21) I am the sister-in-law of number 20 and I am a reigning monarch
22) I am a 1st cousin of number 21 and a 2nd cousin of number 1

* = the deceased one

Who are we?

1: King Harald V. of Norway
2: King Albert II, of the Belgians
3: Grand Duke Jean of Luxemburg
4: Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein, née Princess of Luxemburg
5: Fürst Hans Adam II,. of Liechtenstein