Royals With Many Names & Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree; it's tradition, not ridiculous. My father's very traditional Catholic family all have many names. They thought that it was strange that I only had first, middle, and last, but for my mother's American family, that is the norm. I do, however, prefer the four names which QEII has given her children, but that's about the rhythm of the names as they're spoken.

Some have Todos los Santos as a name. ...Imagine..All the Saints...hundreds of 'm...

Some have Todos los Santos as a name. ...Imagine..All the Saints...hundreds of 'm...

The Spanish Royal family follow that tradition

Prince Felipe : HRH Don Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia,Prince of Asturias,Prince of Girona , Prince of Viana , Duke of Montblanc , Count of Cervera and Lord of Balaguer.

Infanta Elena's full style is HRH Doña Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos, Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia,Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Lugo.

Infanta Pilar : HRH Doña María del Pilar Alfonsa Juana Victoria Luisa Ignacia de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Borbón-Two Sicilies, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Badajoz, Grandee of Spain, Dowager Viscountess de la Torre.

And how to forget the late Prince Pasquale Baylen Maria del Carmine Giovanni-Battista Vincenzo-Ferreri Michele Arcangelo Francesco di Paola Ferdinando Francesco di Assisi Luigi Re Alfonso Gaetano Giuseppe Pietro Paolo Gennaro Luigi Gonzaga Giovanni Giuseppe della Croce Gaspare Melchiore Baldassare Alberto Sebastiano Giorgio Venanzio Emanuele Placido Andrea Avelino Rocco Pacifico Francesco di Geronimo Felice Teziano Ana Filomena Sebazia Lucia Luitgarda Apollina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies?

Imagine writing that down on the Mortgage agreements! It's crazy how many names they all have, but it's tradition.

I agree Broadway Duchess, I like the four names Queen Elizabeth's children all have but even then 4 is a bit too much. All except William, Harry, Louise and James (out of the immediate family) only have 3 names which I think is a bit better.

The full name of Empress Teresa Cristina of Brazil (1822-1889), Emperor Pedro II's wife, was: Teresa Cristina Maria Giuseppa Gasparre Baltasarre Melchiore Gennara Rosalia Lucia Francesca d’Assisi Elisabetta Francesca di Padova Donata Bonosa Andrea d’Avelino Rita Liutgarda Geltruda Venancia Taddea Spiridione Rocca Matilde. She was a Princess of Two-Sicilies by birth.

Last edited:
The Spanish Royal family follow that tradition

Prince Felipe : HRH Don Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia,Prince of Asturias,Prince of Girona , Prince of Viana , Duke of Montblanc , Count of Cervera and Lord of Balaguer.

Infanta Elena's full style is HRH Doña Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos, Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia,Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Lugo.

Infanta Pilar : HRH Doña María del Pilar Alfonsa Juana Victoria Luisa Ignacia de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Borbón-Two Sicilies, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Badajoz, Grandee of Spain, Dowager Viscountess de la Torre.
That tradition has now ended due to a change in Spanish laws.

How do they remember them and just how big are forms in Spain? - you know - tax returns, drivers licence, passport etc.

I have 9 letters in each of my first 2 names and there are some forms and websites that dont accept that many letters!

I know members of the Imperial Family of Brazil are required to prove, before a judge, that their names are that big, because they do not fit on their documents.

I know members of the Imperial Family of Brazil are required to prove, before a judge, that their names are that big, because they do not fit on their documents.

Thank you - is there not a legal abbreviated form of the names

This is when I find it so unnecessary to have so many names. I wonder what they put on their passports. Just the initials?

Yes, in the case of the Prince Imperial of Brazil, his name, on the passport (and other documents), is: Bertrand M. J. P. J. M. G. R. G. de Orleans e Bragança.

His Imperial and Royal Highness said this in an interview.

The King of Spain's younger sister,Infanta Margarita sure has a long name/style HRH Doña Margarita María de la Victoria Esperanza Jacoba Felicidad Perpetua y Todos los Santos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias,Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Soria, Duchess of Hernani, Grandee of Spain.

The King's aunt in law Infanta Alicia : HRH Alicia Maria Teresa Francesca Luisa Pia Anna Valeria of Bourbon-Parma,Infanta of Spain,Princess of Bourbon-Parma,Princes of Bourbon-Two Sicilies,Dowager Duchess of Calabria,Dowager Countess of Caserta.

The reigning Prince of Liechtenstein Hans-Adam II is Johannes Adam Ferdinand Alois Josef Maria Marko d'Aviano Pius.

Infante Pedro Carlos of Spain and Portugal
Infante Pedro Carlos Antonio Rafael Jose Javier Francisco Juan Nepomuceno Tomas de Villanueva Marcos Marcelino Vicente Ferrer Raymundo
His grandfathers were King Carlos III of Spain and King Pedro III of Portugal.

Princess Isabelle Maria Helene Carolina Alfreda Josefa Monika
Pia Georgine Hemma Henriette Ignatia of Liechtenstein
She is the daughter of Prince Aloys (Alois) of Liechtenstein (1869-1955).

Prince Karl Alfred Maria Johannes Baptista Heinrich Aloys Georg Hartmann Ignatius Benediktus Franz Joseph Rochus of Liechtenstein (1910-1985)
He was a son of Prince Aloys (Alois) of Liechtenstein (1869-1955).

Princess Marie Henriette Theresia Alosia Franziska Sophie Josepha Michaela Adelheid Annunziata Elisabeth Ignatia Benedikta of Liechtenstein
She is the daughter of Prince Aloys (Alois) and Princess Elisabeth Amalia of Liechtenstein.

Does any European royal have more styles and titles than Prince Charles?

His Royal Highness The Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Grand Master and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight of the Order of Australia, Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Royal Chief Grand Companion of the Order of Logohu, Member of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Member of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty

Does any European royal have more styles and titles than Prince Charles?

His Royal Highness The Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Grand Master and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight of the Order of Australia, Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Royal Chief Grand Companion of the Order of Logohu, Member of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Member of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty

I didn't realise that Charles had so many titles. I have read that the Dutch monarchs (at the moment King Willem-Alexander) also have a lot of titles. I have heard that there are fifty two Dutch titles altogether, but would need to double check that fact as I'm not 100% sure on it.

I found a full list of WA's titles from Wikipedia:

"Bij de Gratie Gods, Koning der Nederlanden, Prins van Oranje-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg, Markies van Veere en Vlissingen, Graaf van Katzenellnbogen, Vianden, Diez, Spiegelberg, Buren, Leerdam en Culemborg, Burggraaf van Antwerpen, Baron van Breda, Diest, Beilstein, de stad Grave, het Land van Cuyk, IJsselstein, Cranendonck, Eindhoven, Liesveld, Herstal, Waasten, Arlay en Nozeroy, Erf- en Vrijheer van Ameland, Heer van Borculo, Bredevoort, Lichtenvoorde, Het Loo, Geertruidenberg, Klundert, Zevenbergen, Hooge en Lage Zwaluwe, Naaldwijk, Polanen, Sint-Maartensdijk, Soest, Baarn, Ter Eem, Willemstad, Steenbergen, Montfort, St. Vith, Bütgenbach, Niervaart, Daasburg, Turnhout en Besançon".

Or in English:

"By the Grace of God, King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Jonkeer van Amsberg, Marquis of Veere and Flushing, Count of Katzenelnbogen, Vianden, Diez, Spiegelberg, Buren, Leerdam and Culemborg, Burgrave of Antwerp, Baron of Breda, Diest, Beilstein, the town of Grave and the lands of Cuyk, IJsselstein, Cranendonk, Eindhoven, Liesveld, Herstal, Warneton, Arlay and Nozeroy, Hereditary and Free Lord of Ameland, Lord of Borculo, Bredevoort, Lichtenvoorde, Het Loo, Geertruidenberg, Clundert, Zevenbergen, Hooge and Lage Zwaluwe, Naaldwijk, Polanen, St Maartensdijk, Soest, Baarn, Ter Eem, Willemstad, Steenbergen, Montfort, St Vith, Bütgenbach, Dasburg, Niervaart, Turnhout and Besançon".

Mariae Gloria Ferdinanda Joachima Josephine Wilhelmine Huberta Prinzessin von Thurn und Taxis née Gräfin von Schönburg-Glauchau

Bernhard Friedrich Eberhard Leopold Julius Kurt Carl Gottfried Peter Prince of the Netherlands, Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld (grandfather of King Willem-Alexander)

Maria Anna Carolina Franziska Walpurga Bernadette Freifrau von Reibnitz née Gräfin Szapáry von Muraszombath, Széchysziget und Szapár (mother of Princess Michael of Kent)

Alix Marie Isabelle Louise Ghislaine Countess de Lannoy et du Saint-Empire née Jonkvrouw della Faille de Leverghem (mother of Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie of Luxembourg)

Etc. Etc.

I didn't realise that Charles had so many titles. I have read that the Dutch monarchs (at the moment King Willem-Alexander) also have a lot of titles. I have heard that there are fifty two Dutch titles altogether, but would need to double check that fact as I'm not 100% sure on it.

I found a full list of WA's titles from Wikipedia:

"Bij de Gratie Gods, Koning der Nederlanden, Prins van Oranje-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg, Markies van Veere en Vlissingen, Graaf van Katzenellnbogen, Vianden, Diez, Spiegelberg, Buren, Leerdam en Culemborg, Burggraaf van Antwerpen, Baron van Breda, Diest, Beilstein, de stad Grave, het Land van Cuyk, IJsselstein, Cranendonck, Eindhoven, Liesveld, Herstal, Waasten, Arlay en Nozeroy, Erf- en Vrijheer van Ameland, Heer van Borculo, Bredevoort, Lichtenvoorde, Het Loo, Geertruidenberg, Klundert, Zevenbergen, Hooge en Lage Zwaluwe, Naaldwijk, Polanen, Sint-Maartensdijk, Soest, Baarn, Ter Eem, Willemstad, Steenbergen, Montfort, St. Vith, Bütgenbach, Niervaart, Daasburg, Turnhout en Besançon".

Or in English:

"By the Grace of God, King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Jonkeer van Amsberg, Marquis of Veere and Flushing, Count of Katzenelnbogen, Vianden, Diez, Spiegelberg, Buren, Leerdam and Culemborg, Burgrave of Antwerp, Baron of Breda, Diest, Beilstein, the town of Grave and the lands of Cuyk, IJsselstein, Cranendonk, Eindhoven, Liesveld, Herstal, Warneton, Arlay and Nozeroy, Hereditary and Free Lord of Ameland, Lord of Borculo, Bredevoort, Lichtenvoorde, Het Loo, Geertruidenberg, Clundert, Zevenbergen, Hooge and Lage Zwaluwe, Naaldwijk, Polanen, St Maartensdijk, Soest, Baarn, Ter Eem, Willemstad, Steenbergen, Montfort, St Vith, Bütgenbach, Dasburg, Niervaart, Turnhout and Besançon".

These indeed are the titles but they are no longer are used except sometimes as an alias ("The Count van Buren"). In legal documents and passports these titles are in the so called "Etc. Etc. Etc."

The usual titulature is: His Majesty Willem-Alexander, by the Grace of God King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Etc. Etc. Etc.. On this picture you see the armorials of Queen Beatrix: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...m_wapenbord.JPG/640px-Amsterdam_wapenbord.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom