Royals Named Young Global Leaders - 2007/2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
World Economic Forum has named the young global leaders of 2007, and there are several royals on the list, including Victoria of Sweden, WA of the Netherlands, Haakon of Norway, Frederik of Denmark, Mathilde of Belgium, Jaime de Bourbon Parme, Akishino of Japan, Mabel van Oranje

did you notice- the selection committee is chaired by 'Her Majesty Queen Rania of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan'?

Other Royals:
Prince Bandar Bin Khalid Al Faisal Saudi Arabia
Prince Mohammed K.A. Al Faisal Saudi Arabia
Hessa Bint Khalifa Al Khalifa Bahrain
Shaikh Mohammed bin Essa Al Khalifa Bahrain
Sheikh Maktoum Hasher Maktoum Al Maktoum Dubai
Prince Zeid Raad Al-Hussein Jordan
Frederik André Henrik Christian Denmark
H.R.H. Prince Jaime de Bourbon Parma the Netherlands
Haakon Magnus Norway
Victoria Sweden
Willem-Alexander the Netherlands
Mathilde Belgium
Mabel van Oranje the Netherlands (she is is the Director for European Affairs of the Open Society Institute)​

however, I can't find Akishino's profile.

This is quite exciting. I wonder if we'll see all these royals together at the YGL forum.

I wonder how the royals felt when they were not picked but their spouses (Mathilde, Mabel) were?

Really Frederik? I would think maybe Mary, but seriously Frederik? Maybe I just don't know much about him apart from sailing and vacations.

planetcher said:
Really Frederik? I would think maybe Mary, but seriously Frederik? Maybe I just don't know much about him apart from sailing and vacations.

Actually, I have nothing against either of them but I am surprised by the choice of Frederik. Hmmmm

Too early for Mary to be on the list, YGL isn't exactly a popularity contest.
Im somewhat surprised by Frederik as well.
Prince Zeid is a good choice, a highly educated man, Jordanian representative to the UN, not to mention the fact that not too long ago he was considered a possible candidate for the post of the UN Secretary General.

Last edited:
norwegianne said:
Look under P, for Princess... ;)
Oh... I see... I was looking for Prince Akishino, not Princess Akishino Kiko.

Here is the Selection criteria
Potential candidates for The Forum of Young Global Leaders

are 40 years of age or younger at the time of nomination (to be eligible for the 2007 nomination process, the candidates must have been born on or after 1 January 1967);
have a recognized record of extraordinary achievement and substantial leadership experience. Typically, the candidate would have 5-15 years of outstanding professional work experience and a clear indication of playing a substantial leadership role for the rest of his or her career;
have demonstrated a commitment to serve society at large through exceptional contributions;
are ready to invest time and energy in the organization’s purpose and activities.

Maybe Mary hasn't been a princess long enough to be a member for that. Mathilde has been married for over six years, and has worked extensively internationally for charities, and even led a UNICEF mission to Niger. Mabel was recognized for her professional work.
Frederik was probably chosen for his leadership, and Haakon is a UN Goodwill Ambassador, as well as Crown Prince. Victoria has worked with the UN and the Swedish Embassy in Washington, DC.

Also, I learned in reading W-A's profile that he had run the New York Marathon! I didn't know that- good for him :smiles:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is odd, I cant find Prince Zeid's profile.

Considering that Frederik's background in the military is mentioned heavily, it is probably both that, and his political education that has him along in the political segment.

norwegianne said:
Considering that Frederik's background in the military is mentioned heavily, it is probably both that, and his political education that has him along in the political segment.

That is heavily stressed. I definitely see Haakon as one of the leaders just from how involved he is in his country but Frederik? Well...he sounds good on paper!;)

Humera said:
This is odd, I cant find Prince Zeid's profile.

it's under Al-Hussein, Zeid Raad.

kerry said:
That is heavily stressed. I definitely see Haakon as one of the leaders just from how involved he is in his country but Frederik?
Hmm... then we're two finding it rather odd... Frederick a global leader??
Perhaps I'm a bit partial on the matter, but how come Frederick of Denmark is a more prominant leader than Felipe of Spain?...

Oh well...

Felipe will turn 39 this year, and, I don't know why else he isn't chosen- maybe he isn't as involved in as many charities as Frederik is, or maybe he wasn't interested in/available to give the time and dedication to the organization's activities and such- that was a criteria. Felipe is a great representative for his country, don't mistake me on that.
I wondered myself why he wasn't on the list.

Elsa M. said:
Hmm... then we're two finding it rather odd... Frederick a global leader??
Perhaps I'm a bit partial on the matter, but how come Frederick of Denmark is a more prominant leader than Felipe of Spain?...

Oh well...

Ha! Oh well is right on this one. :lol: I think we're all trying to figure this out.

i cant believe W-A made the list and not maxima!

I can not believe Frederick made the list... I have to admit I do not know anything about him that meke me think he is a global leader

I am more amazed by the choice of Princess Akishino (Princess Kiko)?. On what basis is she been chosen? How can someone who never work before and whose life is been dictated by the IHA be a global leader? If giving birth to a long anticipated heir to the throne made her a global leader, then I am very sorry for other more outstanding women around the world.

Apparantly the selection criteria does not apply to her. She married Prince Akishino immediately after her studies, no working experience, did not complete her PhD and only see her walking behind her husband on official visit. The only accomplishment i can see is giving birth to Prince Hisahito. Even her profile is so pathetic compared to the others.

tlklhm said:
I am more amazed by the choice of Princess Akishino (Princess Kiko)?. On what basis is she been chosen? How can someone who never work before and whose life is been dictated by the IHA be a global leader? If giving birth to a long anticipated heir to the throne made her a global leader, then I am very sorry for other more outstanding women around the world.

Apparantly the selection criteria does not apply to her. She married Prince Akishino immediately after her studies, no working experience, did not complete her PhD and only see her walking behind her husband on official visit. The only accomplishment i can see is giving birth to Prince Hisahito. Even her profile is so pathetic compared to the others.

This is unfair, Kiko can be seen as a global leader in that she does actually have patronages that she works for. Not being the crown prince's wife she has more freedom in the role she takes. She doesn't just accompany her husband but carries out engagements on her own, now she's bringing along her oldest daughter as well as 'training'. Although technically on maternity leave, the IHA announced that Kiko would retire for a year to raise her baby. She instead went back to carrying out official duties 2 months after Hisahito's birth. This is not the norm in Japanese society women do not work when they have babies. As far as Japanese society is concerned she is a role model for women in the fact, yes she did marry straight from her university undergraduate degree but she was still at university at the time doing a post-graduate degree. She continued with her studies even after her marriage and the birth of her 2 daughters. Japanese women of her generation did not continue with their education once they were married and even today Japanese women basically have to choose marriage or career, ( in here substitute university study) it's still an either or situation not you can do both as it is in western countries.

Kiko has been much more successful in being a role model for Japanese women than Masako has, ( although to be fair she didn't have the pressure of being the crown princess) even having a third child was a positive move in a country where the birth rate is now less than the death rate. It's causing a demographic crisis as women are either not having children or chosing to only have one child. (The Australian treasurer wants Australians to have a third child as he said 'one for the country' to halt Australians aging demographics so it's not just the old fuddies in Japan making these comments)

There's still very much the perception of "a life dictated by the IHA" Japanese royals do and have in the past done what they wanted even if the IHA have said 'don't do it" Eg married people the IHA courtiers didn't want,( Michiko, Masako) publish the war diaries of their Imperial prince husband ( Princess Takamatsu) bring up their own children ( Akihito and Michiko)

Kiko's profile is not pathetic compared to the others, she has carried out overseas trips, studied, and worked with her patronages and on top of this was married and has a family. In Japanese society she is a leader and a role model for Japanese women.

pollyemma said:
i cant believe W-A made the list and not maxima!

I agree. I'm surprised that W-A is present at all. Maxima's international work with Microcredit and her various travels and meetings with leaders, makes her a better canidate than her husband.

Equally as strange is CP Frederik's presence on the list...

Alisa said:
I agree. I'm surprised that W-A is present at all. Maxima's international work with Microcredit and her various travels and meetings with leaders, makes her a better canidate than her husband.

Equally as strange is CP Frederik's presence on the list...
What Maxima does for Microcredit, does W-A for water management. He is for example Chairperson of the United Nations Secretary General’s Advisory Board on Water and Sanitation.

Last edited:
tlklhm said:

For those of you who don't have time to read my comment below, here's my overall verdict of this list:
:rolleyes::lol:

..if this list is purely nominal, as in, they put the people on the list who happen to have the particular role, like Fred in Denmark, then I can understand it. Somewhat.

But really, fundamentally, this list shows how arbitrary, unsupported this list really is.

As I said in another forum about this, the powers of nepotism are clearly at play here, i.e. Fred. What, indeed, is he doing for the world? Nothing against him, but clearly he isn't ready in the eyes of most, to deserve to be on this list.

WA is another matter. Sure, he's got to where he is by sheer luck, being born into the most powerful family of his country. BUT, he clearly has stepped up to the plate to use his position to try to make a difference in the world, with his water initiatives. Compare him for a second to Frederik--no offense, but Willem Alexander comes across as a leader much much more clearly than Fred.

If the list was by merit, Maxima should also be on the list: she's done her bit for the micro credit initiative, that really really has to be said. According to my book, she's much more leader material than Fred, just evidenced by what she's been involved with this past year, versus Fred.

Mabel DOES belong on that list. By sheer merit and vision and hard work. She's about the ONLY one who would be on this list no matter what. All the others, if they hadn't had some sort of "help" i.e. influential family connections, might not have been on this list.

Anyway with lists like this, 'Fred as world leader', is it any wonder that most of the world would roll their eyes about all these ineffective royals on it? And dismiss the list as a whole, because of its ridiculousness? Didn't think so.

Charlotte1 said:
This is unfair, Kiko can be seen as a global leader in that she does actually have patronages that she works for. Not being the crown prince's wife she has more freedom in the role she takes. She doesn't just accompany her husband but carries out engagements on her own, now she's bringing along her oldest daughter as well as 'training'. Although technically on maternity leave, the IHA announced that Kiko would retire for a year to raise her baby. She instead went back to carrying out official duties 2 months after Hisahito's birth. This is not the norm in Japanese society women do not work when they have babies. As far as Japanese society is concerned she is a role model for women in the fact, yes she did marry straight from her university undergraduate degree but she was still at university at the time doing a post-graduate degree. She continued with her studies even after her marriage and the birth of her 2 daughters. Japanese women of her generation did not continue with their education once they were married and even today Japanese women basically have to choose marriage or career, ( in here substitute university study) it's still an either or situation not you can do both as it is in western countries.

Kiko has been much more successful in being a role model for Japanese women than Masako has, ( although to be fair she didn't have the pressure of being the crown princess) even having a third child was a positive move in a country where the birth rate is now less than the death rate. It's causing a demographic crisis as women are either not having children or chosing to only have one child. (The Australian treasurer wants Australians to have a third child as he said 'one for the country' to halt Australians aging demographics so it's not just the old fuddies in Japan making these comments)

There's still very much the perception of "a life dictated by the IHA" Japanese royals do and have in the past done what they wanted even if the IHA have said 'don't do it" Eg married people the IHA courtiers didn't want,( Michiko, Masako) publish the war diaries of their Imperial prince husband ( Princess Takamatsu) bring up their own children ( Akihito and Michiko)

Kiko's profile is not pathetic compared to the others, she has carried out overseas trips, studied, and worked with her patronages and on top of this was married and has a family. In Japanese society she is a leader and a role model for Japanese women.

Maybe you should read all the profiles listed in the Global leader website before remarking that hers is not pathetic. Not a single cause/patronage is listed.

Maybe she is the leader in Japan. But this is a global leader award. So what if she was doing her PhD studies, the fact is that she did not complete studies, left it half hanging for 10 years. There are peoples/women around the world who are pursuing their academic qualification when pursuing a full time career and juggling a family at the same time. I will think that she will have sufficient time/help to complete her studies from the years between when her 2 elder girls are independant to take care of themselves and before she is pregnant with Hisahito.

As for going back to official duties 2 months after Hisahito's birth, that is rather the norm for all the royal ladies around the world + women around the world in workforce. What's more it does not means that she need to be physically at work for at least 8 hours everyday.

As for her official duties, she is not visible at international cause and I definitely did not recall any single international event that she carried out alone overseas.

There are aging population crisis in the world due to less babies been born - the reason been that the high cost involve in raising a child and that women need to work to help to subsidy the family earning. The main reason for not having more children is what Kiko do not have to worry about. What's more the fact that she did not have the 3rd child immediately after her 2nd girl seems that it is more a duty of call for her than the fact that she wanted a 3rd child in the 1st place. I do not think it is of leadership traits to have a child out of duty than out of your own desire to have the child. Of course, if you are thinking out of corporate mindset, then maybe she fit in (willingness to 'sacrifice' for the 'organisation' ). But no, I will not see her as a modern role model.

Last edited:
Very well put, tlklhm.

Anyway, they really better watch it with this list; if next year's looks like this one, with people like kiko and Fred (fine people both, I'm sure, but World Leaders? Please.) less and less people will take it seriously.

The Watcher said:
What Maxima does for Microcredit, does W-A for water management. He is for example Chairperson of the United Nations Secretary General’s Advisory Board on Water and Sanitation.

WA has many accomplishments to his name, but Maxima has a higher international profile. Water management is very important of course, but microcredit is a 'sexier' ( if that's the right word:rolleyes: ) cause these days.

I think WA deserves to be on this list, I am just surprised that his wife didn't make the cut too.

tlklhm said:
Maybe you should read all the profiles listed in the Global leader website before remarking that hers is not pathetic. Not a single cause/patronage is listed.

Maybe she is the leader in Japan. But this is a global leader award. So what if she was doing her PhD studies, the fact is that she did not complete studies, left it half hanging for 10 years. There are peoples/women around the world who are pursuing their academic qualification when pursuing a full time career and juggling a family at the same time. I will think that she will have sufficient time/help to complete her studies from the years between when her 2 elder girls are independant to take care of themselves and before she is pregnant with Hisahito.

As for going back to official duties 2 months after Hisahito's birth, that is rather the norm for all the royal ladies around the world + women around the world in workforce. What's more it does not means that she need to be physically at work for at least 8 hours everyday.

As for her official duties, she is not visible at international cause and I definitely did not recall any single international event that she carried out alone overseas.

There are aging population crisis in the world due to less babies been born - the reason been that the high cost involve in raising a child and that women need to work to help to subsidy the family earning. The main reason for not having more children is what Kiko do not have to worry about. What's more the fact that she did not have the 3rd child immediately after her 2nd girl seems that it is more a duty of call for her than the fact that she wanted a 3rd child in the 1st place. I do not think it is of leadership traits to have a child out of duty than out of your own desire to have the child. Of course, if you are thinking out of corporate mindset, then maybe she fit in (willingness to 'sacrifice' for the 'organisation' ). But no, I will not see her as a modern role model.

I totally agree with you tlklhm. Reading the profiles of a number of the recipients I had to wonder why they made the cut, but they did. Just because you don't like Tom, Dick or Harry doesnt make them unworthy of recieving the award. The recipients have been chosen for various reasons, all of them considered to be worthy of the title 'Young Global Leader'.
Congratulations to all of them.:clap:

tlklhm said:

While you may not see her as a modern role model, she is in the society that is present day Japan. It's a society where women still have to chose either marriage or a career you can't have both. It's also marriage or study you can't do both, Kiko did, while she didn't finish, the fact is she did continue with her studies once married.
While other princesses may go back to work soon after having children that's not relevant in Japan, as the Japanese say 'that's not the Japanese way' when dismissing a way of doing things that are different or are done in other countries. What is relevant and a much more powerful role model in Japan is that a Japanese princess went back to work after having her baby. This is a country where 2 years ago a female Japanese doctor became the first female doctor to return to work after having a child and said she would hope to be a role model for other female doctors ( scarce as they are) to return to work after having children.
The fact that you may not be aware of any individual official engagments Kiko's performed, doesn't mean she hasn't done any! Japanese royals get very little coverage in western media, and she's not the crown princess.
Yes it's a global world leader award, but is Japan not part of the global world?
Her being named a global leader is much more relevant and will receive far more publicity in Japan and Japanese media than any other royal. That's what is important as far as her being a role model in Japan where only 9% of women have leadership positions and there are fewer women in parliament today than there were when women were first elected to parliament after WW2.
Not everything can be looked at in a western perspective, what to westerners may seem pathetic is actually a major achievement for women leaders in Japan.
(Kiko's patronages are listed on the official site of the Japanese royals, if they weren't listed on the global leaders site, then that's just laziness on their part)

The reason for women in Japan having fewer children is not the high cost of raising them and women having to work. Women in Japan generally give up work when they get married if not when they get married, it's when they have children. They never re-enter the workforce. Families are single income. Again western reasons do not apply in Japan. It's more to do with the fact that women have to choose, marriage or a career, more are choosing to remain single.

Last edited:
really Frederik? How come he's on the list and not Felipe? For all I know about Fred, he's all sailing, etc!!:mad: :wacko: How about the British royals? and the Monaco royals?

Charlotte1 said:
While you may not see her as a modern role model, she is in the society that is present day Japan. It's a society where women still have to chose either marriage or a career you can't have both. It's also marriage or study you can't do both, Kiko did, while she didn't finish, the fact is she did continue with her studies once married.
While other princesses may go back to work soon after having children that's not relevant in Japan, as the Japanese say 'that's not the Japanese way' when dismissing a way of doing things that are different or are done in other countries. What is relevant and a much more powerful role model in Japan is that a Japanese princess went back to work after having her baby. This is a country where 2 years ago a female Japanese doctor became the first female doctor to return to work after having a child and said she would hope to be a role model for other female doctors ( scarce as they are) to return to work after having children.
The fact that you may not be aware of any individual official engagments Kiko's performed, doesn't mean she hasn't done any! Japanese royals get very little coverage in western media, and she's not the crown princess.
Yes it's a global world leader award, but is Japan not part of the global world?
Her being named a global leader is much more relevant and will receive far more publicity in Japan and Japanese media than any other royal. That's what is important as far as her being a role model in Japan where only 9% of women have leadership positions and there are fewer women in parliament today than there were when women were first elected to parliament after WW2.
Not everything can be looked at in a western perspective, what to westerners may seem pathetic is actually a major achievement for women leaders in Japan.
(Kiko's patronages are listed on the official site of the Japanese royals, if they weren't listed on the global leaders site, then that's just laziness on their part)

The reason for women in Japan having fewer children is not the high cost of raising them and women having to work. Women in Japan generally give up work when they get married if not when they get married, it's when they have children. They never re-enter the workforce. Families are single income. Again western reasons do not apply in Japan. It's more to do with the fact that women have to choose, marriage or a career, more are choosing to remain single.

In the 1st place, I am not from a western country but a Asia country.

As what you said, Japanese family is a single income family. And with the high stress and high standard of living, it is precisely the reason why the Japanese are not having more children. But this is not the case for Kiko - she have means to raise the children and at the same time, all the resources to help her with her family so there is no reason why she cannot go back to her official duties earlier or she couldn't complete her studies and left it hanging for 10 years. A leader does not do things half way. This is very bad model - even we told our children not to quit half way.

The modern Japanese definitely do not see their royal family as role model. In fact they see them as living out of the modern world and they are very disappointed when Masako quit her high flying career to married the CP - she will be the role model for Japanese women before her marriage. I have friends/contacts in Japan that could not be bothered with the royal family.

What is important to the Japanese women is a raise in social and corporate status - not someone who acede to tradition to have a male heir. Because of her giving birth to Hisahito, there will never be a chance for a female empress which can made a lot of difference to female status in Japan. This is just like in my traditional chinese family that insist on a male heir to carry on the family name. She will be a role model for these traditionalist.

By the way, since her patronages are listed in the website, why did the global leader site only be lazy on her profile but not the other awardees? Can it be that she is been awarded because of her 'committment' to the 'organisation' by giving birth to a male heir despite her age and that is definitely not something to be listed in her profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom