Royals Named Young Global Leaders - 2007/2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i must say i'm more than happy for those royals who are on the list: willem, haakon, mathilde, victoria among others really deserve the distinction.

although, after reading princess olga's post, i must say i think it's as well quite arbitrary. who chooses the people in the list? what is the criteria for that? i barely think mabel or frederik have reasons to be on the list. i personally didn't see them performing more than 2 or 3 activities last year connected with international welfare.

i also believe maxima did an amazingly ambitious and well done job last year and the years before with the microcredits, she travelled here and there during the last 3 years, as far as i recall, from south america to africa, while attending conferences as well in north america and europe. perhaps the reason for not choosing her is because they can only choose one representant per country and willem alexander was chosen. perhaps she may be in the list next year, as well as mette marit, who also worked for unaids and tavelled to a couple of places (she hasn't been in the position of unaids representative for long but she still performed duties on aids in norway and the world before her role for the UN), who may be chosen next year instead of haakon.

carlota said:
i must say i'm more than happy for those royals who are on the list: willem, haakon, mathilde, victoria among others really deserve the distinction.

although, after reading princess olga's post, i must say i think it's as well quite arbitrary. who chooses the people in the list? what is the criteria for that? i barely think mabel or frederik have reasons to be on the list. i personally didn't see them performing more than 2 or 3 activities last year connected with international welfare.

i also believe maxima did an amazingly ambitious and well done job last year and the years before with the microcredits, she travelled here and there during the last 3 years, as far as i recall, from south america to africa, while attending conferences as well in north america and europe. perhaps the reason for not choosing her is because they can only choose one representant per country and willem alexander was chosen. perhaps she may be in the list next year, as well as mette marit, who also worked for unaids and tavelled to a couple of places (she hasn't been in the position of unaids representative for long but she still performed duties on aids in norway and the world before her role for the UN), who may be chosen next year instead of haakon.

The selection criteria and the selection commitee are both on the YGL website, which you can find here.
The selection criteria is as follows:
are 40 years of age or younger at the time of nomination (to be eligible for the 2007 nomination process, the candidates must have been born on or after 1 January 1967);
have a recognized record of extraordinary achievement and substantial leadership experience. Typically, the candidate would have 5-15 years of outstanding professional work experience and a clear indication of playing a substantial leadership role for the rest of his or her career;
have demonstrated a commitment to serve society at large through exceptional contributions;
are ready to invest time and energy in the organization’s purpose and activities.

And the selection commitee is chaired by Queen Rania, so that could possibly have something to do with some of the royals being on the list, but I'm sure all the candidates were treated fairly and with a lot of thought.

And I would just like to congratulate all the royals, and the other people, who have been named Global Leaders!

pollyemma said:
WA has many accomplishments to his name, but Maxima has a higher international profile. Water management is very important of course, but microcredit is a 'sexier' ( if that's the right word:rolleyes: ) cause these days.

I think WA deserves to be on this list, I am just surprised that his wife didn't make the cut too.

I think Maxima is 'sexier' then WA. If he would be doing microcredits and she would be doing watermanagment I think she would receive more attention to, dispite the subject.

princess olga said:
Mabel DOES belong on that list. By sheer merit and vision and hard work. She's about the ONLY one who would be on this list no matter what. All the others, if they hadn't had some sort of "help" i.e. influential family connections, might not have been on this list.

Now now, I think Mabels relationship with the married Bosnian gov. minister has helped her to, for example to attend the Dayton summit. And I am sure that she had other that helped her to in her carreer.

The Watcher said:
What Maxima does for Microcredit, does W-A for water management. He is for example Chairperson of the United Nations Secretary General’s Advisory Board on Water and Sanitation.

Wow. I've never been as interested in W-A, being more a fan of his wife, but the more I read about him on this thread, the more I like and respect him. He in the chairperson for the water and sanitation board, he ran the New York Marathon- he really is an impressive person!

Elsa M. said:
Hmm... then we're two finding it rather odd... Frederick a global leader??
Perhaps I'm a bit partial on the matter, but how come Frederick of Denmark is a more prominant leader than Felipe of Spain?...

Oh well...

Maybe Felipe didn't apply. In order to be included in the list, you need someone to write you a good nomination letter. Felipe had never been on the list before, neither were the Infantas. With the global success of the Prince of Asturias Foundation, he appears more to be a leader. Cristina was named the ambassador of UNESECO, her private job involves lots of social work internationally, she was never on the list.
Actually I think most of the royals on the list don't deserve to be there. Most of them work as goodwill ambassadors and help to bring awareness to the causes, but that doesn't make them to be world leaders.

I have to admit I find this list quite surprising, the only name that truly deserves to be there imo is Prince Zeid. Moreover I find it ridiculous that Fred is included on such a list when Felipe and Charles are not.

A very odfd selection indeed.

Little_star said:
I have to admit I find this list quite surprising, the only name that truly deserves to be there imo is Prince Zeid. Moreover I find it ridiculous that Fred is included on such a list when Felipe and Charles are not.

A very odfd selection indeed.
Charles is too old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom