Protocol and Etiquette: a Very Royal Perspective

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elspeth

Former Moderator
City
Country
United States

If you've ever wondered what to wear, say, or do when you're in the presence of royalty, this article has the answers. From the correct way to respond to a royal invitation to the appropriate way to dress for the occasion to the secrets of the perfect bow or curtsey to the accepted form of address and the order of precedence, all the information you need to know is to be found here.

More...

Last edited:
We have a new article, and this one is an informative and entertaining look at royal (specifically British royal) protocol and etiquette. If you ever get an invitation to a royal function, read the article and then you can stop being nervous! RoyalProtocol has worked very hard on this article, and I think it's paid off handsomely.

This article is the first contribution to the new Royal Ceremony and Protocol section at TRA, and I hope it'll be the first of many.

I really enjoyed reading this and I too hope that it is only the first of many.
I see that RoyalProtocol is only a young man and so he mentions the contrast between the protocol of yesterday and today, all still very formal but not nearly as formal as it once was. Thank goodness for the "bob" even when you are a practiced curtsey-er things can go wrong, and the "teacher" giving instruction for the royal full curtsey managed to make the young woman who was to be presented extremely nervous. The idea of toppling in front of royalty is not a pleasant image and it manages to pop into ones mind just a few seconds before the curtsey is to be performed..
In the time of Queen Victoria a very old man managed to roll down the steps leading to the throne and Queen Victoria immediately got up to help him - now that is real courtesy. Unfortunately the man became a bit of a joke, not because he rolled but because of his name - Lord Roll.

thank yo so much , i enjoy reading it, hope is more comming

I have truly enjoyed reading the article by RoyalProtocol. It has summarized a complex matter such as the royal protocol in a clear and concise manner. I do not like the word "Ma'am" because the latter tends to sound awkward.

I was really impressed with how this article turned out, in both content and presentation. It wasn't the easiest of articles to format because of the short paragraphs and the verses of the National Anthem, but Mandy did a truly excellent job with it. We have a highly talented team of editors, and when they get together with a knowledgeable author like RoyalProtocol the results are very impressive.

I'm not particularly interested in protocol, and yet even I really enjoyed reading this article; it is well-written and presents its points in a very clear manner. Congratulations RoyalProtocol!

I have truly enjoyed reading the article by RoyalProtocol. It has summarized a complex matter such as the royal protocol in a clear and concise manner. I do not like the word "Ma'am" because the latter tends to sound awkward.

A lot depends on how you say it Al Bina.

Thanks for all the posative comments, they are greatly appreciated, perhaps another article will follow, any suggestions would be appreciated!

THANKS!!!!

Ascot

Hello Royal Protocol,

Great advice and well worth knowing if one is anticipating meeting royalty.

I am currently requesting admission for myself and 6 friends into the Royal Enclosure at Ascot in 2009.
Some advice on what to properly wear for both ladies and gentlemen would be a great help. :ermm:

Thank you,
Larry

I am not sure about ladies because they have got some latitude, when it comes to dressing for Ascot. At the same time, "the code for gentlemen, which is top hats, morning suits and waistcoats, is non-negotiable" (Telegraph).

Vecchiolarry,

For Ascot gents should wear morning dress as described in the article: tail coat, top hat (this must be worn, though it should be removed in the very near vacinity of The Queen or member of the Royal Family), waistcoat, striped trousers etc.
Ladies should wear smart day dress with a hat or very substantial fascinator (no hat no admission policies exisit), midrifts should be covered as should shoulders (no spaghetti straps) trouser suits should be of matching colour and fabric but in my opinion should be avoided, skirts should come to the knee or below.

P.s. you shouldn't send your application until Her Majesty's representative announces the process can begin in the Times and Daily Telegraph in late January, applications before this date will not be accepted. Though if your from Canada you can apply through the office of His Excellency The High Commissioner for Canada in London.

Also make sure you use the traditional and proper format of letter in your application.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi and Good Morning!!

Thank you for all this information regarding Ascot.

I have already written to the Canadian High Commissioner in London and been advised that they will list me and my friends with the Duke of Devonshire in due course for admittance to the Royal Enclosure. His office seems to think that there will be no problem since we all belong to the Monarchist League(s) in Britain and Canada!! :whistling:

We, of course, will be properly dressed; your advice will be followed to the letter and thanks again.... :flowers:

Larry

Thanks for all the posative comments, they are greatly appreciated, perhaps another article will follow, any suggestions would be appreciated!

THANKS!!!!

Well, since you are asking... :whistling: Maybe something on HM's household, all the titles and functions these people have and clarify once and for all that a Lady o the Bedchamber is far more respectable than it sounds ;).

Another interesting subject could be the traditions, rites etc. in British coronatons or/and the opening of parliament.

I enjoyed this one a lot, so you understand why I am bombarding you with ideas ;).

Well, since you are asking... :whistling: Maybe something on HM's household, all the titles and functions these people have and clarify once and for all that a Lady o the Bedchamber is far more respectable than it sounds ;).

Another interesting subject could be the traditions, rites etc. in British coronatons or/and the opening of parliament.

I enjoyed this one a lot, so you understand why I am bombarding you with ideas ;).

Thanks Marengo, The Royal Household would make for interesting reading, so It could well be my next article, also I do like the idea on the Coronation and the State Opening, what about Trooping the Colour etc. in one main article about the Ceremonial life of the Royal Family

great minds think alike!

thank you so much for your enjoyable and informative article.it is really interesting !

If you've ever wondered what to wear, say, or do when you're in the presence of royalty, this article has the answers. From the correct way to respond to a royal invitation to the appropriate way to dress for the occasion to the secrets of the perfect bow or curtsey to the accepted form of address and the order of precedence, all the information you need to know is to be found here.

More...

Thank you so much for the wonderful article! Not only did I enjoy reading it immensely, it also gave me the feeling of actually being in the situation of going through the process of a formal invitation.

Back
Top Bottom