Most disappointing Royal 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But, he isn't his brother's stylist! He isn't consulted first! How can he be held responsible?

It is Williams future judgements that will be taken into serious consideration by England and if he can't even spot a bad choice in a Nazi costume then how will he be able to advise the government??

Britain doesn't really over-react. Other countries do. Most people saw the funny side, the Jewish groups etc etc all found it highly offensive and he apologised. Matter closed. We've all got a different sense of humour and William seems such a drip that he wouldn't dare tell his brother that he was wrong to choose it. But then again, was he wrong to choose it? The House of Windsor can't be judged on a Nazi Uniform.

Can't we just say he's young, he made a mistake, he apologized for it, he hasn't done it again. End of story.
If we're talking about how this has influenced young people that may see him as someone to emulate, then there are many more dangerous celebrities for young people to see and learn from and they haven't gone around doing these things based on the examples of those celebrities. I think it was wrong, but it does't spell the end of the world either.

The discussion about Harry and the uniform, now revived almost a year after the event, should be conducted in the appropriate thread, and not here.

Warren
Royal Forums SuperModerator

I just wonder how many people on this thread can say with all honesty, that they have never made a mistake, never not done what was expected of them or offended anyone else?
Albert got a woman pregnant, so her pregnancy is all his fault. Was she an innocent bystander, hadn't she heard of birth control, or was this her way to live comfortably for the rest of her life?
Alexandra and Joachim divorced, would you rather they had both lived in misery and that misery was picked up by the children?
I wonder how any of us would be judged as role model's for our children, nieces, younger workmates etc.:confused:

Skydragon said:
I just wonder how many people on this thread can say with all honesty, that they have never made a mistake, never not done what was expected of them or offended anyone else?
Albert got a woman pregnant, so her pregnancy is all his fault. Was she an innocent bystander, hadn't she heard of birth control, or was this her way to live comfortably for the rest of her life?
Alexandra and Joachim divorced, would you rather they had both lived in misery and that misery was picked up by the children?
I wonder how any of us would be judged as role model's for our children, nieces, younger workmates etc.:confused:

Thank You very much - I do agree with You!

Skydragon said:
Yawn, we know royalty is held and they HOLD THEMSELVES to a higher standard.

dakodas said:
Yawn, we know royalty is held and they HOLD THEMSELVES to a higher standard.

Yeah, I mean if we didn't hold them to a higher standard then why would we care if they made mistakes?

I know I'm contradicting myself!

I've been very dissapointed in Letizia. this whole year she has worn nothing but variations of the same outfit. her style bores me to tears.

Her one public speech was remarkably shaky for a former news anchor.

Despite being married to Felipe for over a year now she has yet to make a solo public appearance.

I had expected more from a woman with such a succesful career behind her.

Andrew, Duke of York
and Princess Michael

Royal Fan said:
Andrew, Duke of York
and Princess Michael

what made you decide to put Princess michael on this 'walk of shame'?

I'm not criticizing, i'm just interested in hearing the reasoning behind your comment.

pollyemma said:
I've been very dissapointed in Letizia. this whole year she has worn nothing but variations of the same outfit. her style bores me to tears.

Despite being married to Felipe for over a year now she has yet to make a solo public appearance.

Yeah, I must agree with that. I'll have to check my post here and find out what I said, I may not have even said who I thought was most dissapointed yet! I can't remember!:p

pollyemma said:
what made you decide to put Princess michael on this 'walk of shame'?

I'm not criticizing, i'm just interested in hearing the reasoning behind your comment.
I am guessing this is why...This is an article from an American newspaper written fairly recently on Princess Michael of Kent:

Princess Michael in racist row
26/05/2004 20:00 - (SA)
http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1533084,00.html#http://red.as-eu.falkag.net/red?cmd...4955&bid=519485&dat=http://www.rotatrim.co.zahttp://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1533084,00.html#
tsp.gif
DisplayAd('C2');function Ads_PopUp() {}
trpix.gif

tsp.gif

tsp.gif
tsp.gif

New York - Britain's Princess Michael of Kent found herself labelled a racist on Wednesday after reportedly telling a group of noisy black diners in a New York restaurant to "go back to the colonies."
A front page article in the New York Post, under the banner headline "Royal Bigot", said the princess had lost her temper with an adjoining table - made up of five influential members of the city's African-American community - while dining at a trendy West Village eatery on Monday night.
"You need to go back to the colonies!" she reportedly shouted at the exuberant group who had ignored a previous royal request to quiet down.
"I was stupefied" said one of the black diners, fashion TV correspondent Nicole Young. "I have never experienced anything like that in my life."
But Princess Michael's spokesperson in London, Simon Astaire, said he had spoken with the princess and flatly denied on Wednesday that she had made any racist remark.
"Any suggestion she made a racist comment is simply untrue. She did not make a racist comment," said Astaire.
But another of the diners involved, TV reporter A J Callaway, told the Post that he had also heard the "colonies" reference.
"It's sad that, in today's world, people still have that mentality," Callaway told the newspaper.
The German-born princess, who has never been a popular royal, was in the United States to attend the graduation of her daughter, Lady Gabriella Windsor, from Brown University. She is married to Prince Michael of Kent, a cousin to Queen Elizabeth II.

Well, apparently I haven't posted here yet. So, here are my "most dissapointing" royals.

Yes, Letizia for reasons that pollyemma has already stated.

Most Dutch royal women for their clothes! Especially Mabel!:eek:

Victoria for not being more glamorous during her daytime engagements, her night-time engagement dresses are (mostly) very good.

I'll think of more later!:p

Lil princess lost said:
I am guessing this is why...This is an article from an American newspaper...
Firstly, I must say that it may not be a true story. But, if it is, then, IMO, it isn't something that will just blow over.

BTW, the link doesn't work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before we launch into a lengthy attack/defence of Princess Michael I would suggest members check out the Prince and Princess Michael of Kent thread where the New York allegation is discussed in some detail.

Warren
Royal Forums SuperModerator

The point with dissapointing royals, is the fact that most of them live off public money, and have done nothing to deserve the money besides being born into the right family. It is not unfair to expect of them, who have the best oppurtunity in the world for a good education to behave, at least in public in a more decent ethical way than the rest of us, isn't it?!

We're all human and we all make mistakes. Its the way it has always been.

"MII"

P.S. But I find Letizia's formal day wear as boring as drying paint.lol. HRH rates well for gala gowns & dresses but anything else she wears I find so, so dull and repetative.

pollyemma said:

Maybe she is obliged to be like this. I've heard that Prince Felipe had to fight a lot to marry her, he even threated to resing from his Prince of Asturias position. Maybe it was a condition for the King's approval that Letizia should behavior in this way, for all the time necessary for her to learn. Do not forget that she comes from an environment low-middle, completely out of any royal or aristocratic circle. She ignores protocol, roayal manners, how to behavior, how to walk how to talk to every person depanding on his position and a thousand of other things, which normal people do not have any idea that they exist. She is very intelligent, she is learning very quickly, but while learning is better not to be in the front, than to make mistakes.

Margrethe II said:
We're all human and we all make mistakes. Its the way it has always been.

"MII"

P.S. But I find Letizia's formal day wear as boring as drying paint.lol. HRH rates well for gala gowns & dresses but anything else she wears I find so, so dull and repetative.

I agree for her day outfits. But do not forget that Eva Sannum lost Prince Felipe, as all the Spaniards were outraged from this blue gown she wore in Prince Haakon's wedding. I've found her magnificient and marvellous, but this outfit was considered not appropriate to a future Queen. So Letizia, who is very clever prefers to be boring than to shock. Rememeber all her first public appearances, she was fully covered..... we did not see her decolleté-neck..... this was not an hasard....
And of course she has not the extremely sense of style of Princess Mary.. but this is rare.

auntie said:
The point with dissapointing royals, is the fact that most of them live off public money, and have done nothing to deserve the money besides being born into the right family. It is not unfair to expect of them, who have the best oppurtunity in the world for a good education to behave, at least in public in a more decent ethical way than the rest of us, isn't it?!

I so agree

I originally wanted to name Prince Albert as the most disappointing Royal of 2005 (mainly becasue loads of people here did so) but I suddenly understood that I not only like him very much but also admire the way he handled the whole matter with his illegitimate son. I think he performed magnificently during this whole difficult (for him) year.
I think the most disappointing Royal is arguably Crown Princess Letizia of Spain. I do like her very much but I also expected a bit more from the wife of the future King of Spain and a former successful journalist.

I am dissapointed in Letizia too. She is now nothing that she was...no fresh, no natural, only protocol and she make many stupid things. Really I don't understand her.

nayralorenzo said:
I am dissapointed in Letizia too. She is now nothing that she was...no fresh, no natural, only protocol and she make many stupid things. Really I don't understand her.

Which many stupid things??? Do you have an example???

I have many examples...one of them is that in the meeting for the 30 Anniversary of the King, she weared this skirt and it was totally out of place, with her panties marked.
Her character is very different now to the one she had when she arrived in the Royal family. She is so proud, so unpleasant.
I think that the King and the Queen are very sad because of her...it's something that everybody here in Spain comment.

nayralorenzo said:
I think that the King and the Queen are very sad because of her...it's something that everybody here in Spain comment.
Do our Spanish members have an opinion on this? Are the King and Queen truly "very sad"?

nayralorenzo said:
I have many examples...one of them is that in the meeting for the 30 Anniversary of the King, she weared this skirt and it was totally out of place, with her panties marked.
Her character is very different now to the one she had when she arrived in the Royal family. She is so proud, so unpleasant.

My view on Letizia is totally different. I think that, of all european crownprincesses she received most scrutany from the press before/during her marriage. To me she seems to be perfectionist and afraid to make mistakes. Also, I assume that the spanish court found it wise to keep the profile of the crown princess low, to let Spain get accustomed to the idea that this well-known woman is now their crownprincess.

Her like her style very much and I do not see what was wrong with it, I actually liked what she wore in Madrid at the celebrations. I prefer her style over that of many other crownprincess, although I would like her with a hat (she seems to dislike them, as her mother-in-law does).

The Queen seems genuinely fond, while looking at her daughter-in-law.

nayralorenzo said:

It's not impossible that she become arrogant. Coming from where she comes, I mean a really low-middle class, she managed the impossible!!! Marry the Prince of Asturias!!!!!!!
The most eligible and handsome bachelor in this world!!!!!
Where a real aristocrat,well educated, speaking 5 languages like Isabel Sartorius failed, because she just had a divorced father.. (divorced but married with the Princess Nora of Lichtenstein).. and a wonderful beauty like Eva Sannum also failed because she was foreigner and former model..., and Letizia succeed, despite her previous marriage and her modest roots!!!

I do not say that she was nothing!!! I say that in the royal eyes of King JK and Queen Sophia, they would have dreamed better for their only son. Queen Sophia was doughter of King, sister of former King and Quuen herself, she has 2 german Kaisers in her family... she would have dreamed better than people like Letizia's maternal grandfather, entering into her family... But Letizia succeed against all, could be understandable that she is arrogant, if it is true.
What are our Spaniards say?? Is she arrogant now???

Queen Sofia stated more then once that her anscestery doesn't mean that much to her, other then they refer to places in Germany. I do not think she or the king object that much about the family backgrounds of their children-in-law. They probably see, like most of us, that times change and hope that their children will find happines in their respective marriages
How do you know the ladies you mention were found not good enough to marry the Prince of the Asturias for the reasons you mention? That is mere speculation by the press! Maybe there were other reasons and probably the prince did not care for them enough to marry them.

I actually was pleasantly surprised that the crownprince married this woman, who comes from a normal family and who build up her own carreer, she must have a strong personality.

Marengo said:
Queen Sofia stated more then once that her anscestery doesn't mean that much to her, other then they refer to places in Germany. I do not think she or the king object that much about the family backgrounds of their children-in-law. They probably see, like most of us, that times change and hope that their children will find happines in their respective marriages
How do you know the ladies you mention were found not good enough to marry the Prince of the Asturias for the reasons you mention? That is mere speculation by the press! Maybe there were other reasons and probably the prince did not care for them enough to marry them.

I actually was pleasantly surprised that the crownprince married this woman, who comes from a normal family and who build up her own carreer, she must have a strong personality.

Of course she has a strong personnality, this is absolutely sure. As about the former Felipe's girlfriends, IS & ES, i've read many articles, especially in royalty magasines, among others Point de Vue, which is a very serious royal french magazine never publishing trashes, which published many opinions of well known Spaniards close to the royal circles, and all these opinions are quite parallel.
As regards Spain royal couple, dont'mix their three in laws . Infanta Elena's husband is a Grand d'Espagne, so absolutely acceptable. Infanta Christina's may not be aristocrat, but Christina was third in the succession line, and point is less important.
But for the heir to the throne.... this is very important.... and his parents / people dreamed for him the best. Of course his parents were intelligent and they accepted his choice, but on the beginning they seemed not happy at all. Letizia could be intelligent and wonderfull, and she seems to learn very quickly, but look at King and Quen's faces in the engagement day. They do not like illuminated by hapiness. It reminds me late Princess Grace face whe Caroline was marrying Junot.... destroyed and trying to smile.

And how do you think that the Royal couple felt, when in the official dinner (the day before the wedding, or the same day, I'm not sure), when Letizia's father pronounced a speech in fron of ALL the invited persons, and he said that
since my doughter was a child she always dreamed to become a Princess(!!!!!!!) but this is not important because in our days Kings are useless(!!!!!!!)
UNQUOTE
My source : Point de Vue, reported by Aristocrat designer Agatha Ruiz de la Prada, which was present.

This kind of words show a stupid person, but also unpolite. Letizias father was at this moment hosted by the King, and he offenced him....

As regards Letizia's carrier building, she was too young, and we could not be sure what would have her carrier become, without meeting the Prince of Asturias. Do not forget that the last months of her carrier big successes she was already with him, this may have helped. When she presented the news edition, and become known by all the country, she was ALREADY dating him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom