Foreingers Princesses:Why so popular???

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vicky.arg

Why do you think foreingers princesses(F.ex: Maxima of The Netherlands and Mary of Denmark) so popular??And other princesses like Letizia of Spain or Mathilde aren't so popular?

Vicky.arg said:
Why do you think foreingers princesses(F.ex: Maxima of The Netherlands and Mary of Denmark) so popular??And other princesses like Letizia of Spain or Mathilde aren't so popular?

I didn't quite understand what you meant. As far as I'm concerned, all Crown Princesses are very popular in their countries. Of course there are people that don't like them as well, but the majority of their "subjects" love their princesses.

Belgians love Mathilde, as she will be the first Belgian-born queen in a long time, Spaniards love Letizia as she will be the first Spain-born queen in a long time and they admire the love the princes share - same for Mathilde and Phillippe.

The Danish people loves Mary, as well as the Dutch love Maxima. So, I guess that all the princesses are very popular. Each of them in their own special way.

CP Mathilde is extremely popular! She will be the first Belgian-born Queen they've ever had. She appeals to the Belgian sense of national pride. Before she came along, there were grumbles that her husband shouldn't be crowned king. Since CP Mathilde came along, the royal family has been even more popular than before.

I think CP Letizia is popular too. Some people have a problem with the fact that she is divorced, but since the church didn't put up a fight, I really don't see what the fuss is/was about. She makes CP Felipe glow, and I think the Spanish recognize that she makes their him happy.

I don't think foreign princesses are more popular than the others. They just seem to get more press because they have to leave their native lands and adopt a new culture. Plus, the press has a good motive to over-expose foreign princesses - they want more tourists!

Vicky.arg said:

Actually i don't have this felling,that the foreign princesses are more popular than the "national"princesses,P.Mathilde and Letizia are as popular as P.Mary and Maxima.

Talking with a belgian background,i can tell you that P.Mathilde is more popular here than Maxima who lived too in Brussels before being a princess!

As for CP.Mary,she's famous,but she's now overmediatisated because she just joined the "gotha" and royals,Mathide too when she got engaged and married to P.Phillippe,was very cherished by medias,there was a "Mathildmania" around whole Europe,and she's still popular as well:) !

what about British Royal Family?

mostly people loves late Diana,Princess of Wales very much since her marriages to Prince Charles in 1981-1997 because she is popular Princess.

and also Sophie,Countess of Wessex? Camilla,Duchess of Cornwall? Princess Anne?

many people like Sarah,Duchess of York very much since her marriages to Prince Andrew in 1986-1996 because she looks good and she very lovely!

im not sure what other?

Sara Boyce

If foreign princesses are more popular, it is because they have two countries following their lives. In Mary's case, Denmark is interested in her as well as Australia, and Maxima is popular for the Dutch and her own country.

For a non-foreign princess such as Letizia, they are not really much known outside their own country.

I think generally spoken "imported" princesses have a clear advantage, when it comes to gaining popularity. They have the advantage that their relatives, friends, acquaintances, practically all ppl, who played any role (no matter how small it was) in their lives are far away. When such princesses-to-be come to the country of the prince, then they have no social network, but they are "caught" of the social network of the prince...and usually those people are discreet. I think such things play especially a role, when the country is small. People have always said, that Frederik shouldn´t marry a Dane, because in Denmark everyone would know everyone. This makes it on the one hand easier to reveal secrets, on the other hand it also takes a bit of the magic away. No one would be impressed, when the (literally spoken!) girl next door would marry the crown prince.
IMO in the case of Mette Marit and Daniel Westling (not directly a princess :p ) one can see, what happens, when a commoner out of a country dates the crown prince(ss) for longer. One really has to be very strong to stand the media speculations, which heat more and more with the years.
Crown prince Felipe has protected himself and his girlfriend by keeping his relationship secretly. Call me a pessimist...I don´t think Felipe would have had too many chances to marry Letizia, when he would have dated Letizia in public for three or more years. The media would have beaten a dead horse with speculating about Letizia´s former marriage.
Crown prince Philippe did pretty much the same like Felipe...additionally by marrying a noble woman he hadn´t to fear too many revelations...

My conclusion: one can´t say, that all foreigner prince(sse)s have a better start. But when a crown prince(ss) dates a commoner out of the country for longer, he/she surely has to deal rather with problems, than when he/she dates a foreigner. And in the end marrying a foreigner would probably also result (after the wedding) in more popularity for the new born Royal. But my guess is, that this effect won´t last for long. After a few years ppl would judge the work of the Royal, how he/she is integrated and how he/she lives family life etc.

there seems to be a really high interest for foreign princesses. maxima and mary are too very good examples and alexandra was as well. the why part is hard to say: i guess people like to see how someone in a quite high position integrates in their country aquiring their costumes and speaking their languages. they like to see the change at the very beginning and at the end because that shows if a person cares or not about the country he-she is leading and representing.

Lena said:
My conclusion: one can´t say, that all foreigner prince(sse)s have a better start. But when a crown prince(ss) dates a commoner out of the country for longer, he/she surely has to deal rather with problems, than when he/she dates a foreigner. And in the end marrying a foreigner would probably also result (after the wedding) in more popularity for the new born Royal. But my guess is, that this effect won´t last for long. After a few years ppl would judge the work of the Royal, how he/she is integrated and how he/she lives family life etc.
I agree with you Lena

Australian said:
For a non-foreign princess such as Letizia, they are not really much known outside their own country.
I think I have to disagree with you about this. Spain has quiet closed relationship with its ex colony such as Latin American country (especialy in some aspect such as historical or tradition). Beside, in these countries still many spaniard descendant live there and many of them still follow closely what has happend in Spain. Letizia seems quiet popular and known quiet well in these countries:) .

Australian said:

I totally disagree with this message, because Princess Letizia is very, very well known in Portugal and the same happend in so many countries in South America like México, Venezuela, Peru, Argentina, Chile, etc.

Maybe Princess Mathilde is not so popular in the rest of Europe because she seems very shy, but I think the belgians like her very much.
Everybody in all South America adores Máxima. So, I think the most populars Princesses in the world are Princesses Letizia and Maxima, the two latins Crown Princesses! :)

thanks for correcting me Regina, i didnt know all that, thanks:)

No offence to anyone but I feel better when a country I belong to has a queen/king or king/Queen consorts that is from that country itself....thats why I am not to keen on foreign cps( mary, maxima...ect). I have nothing against foreigners or anything like that but I just feel like leaders (kings, royals, pres...ect) would embrace more pride by marrying cps of their own country I may be out of place saying this but thats just how I feel. I hope no one takes offense.

galuhcandrakirana said:
I think I have to disagree with you about this. Spain has quiet closed relationship with its ex colony such as Latin American country (especialy in some aspect such as historical or tradition). Beside, in these countries still many spaniard descendant live there and many of them still follow closely what has happend in Spain. Letizia seems quiet popular and known quiet well in these countries:) .

Letizia was well known before her marriage because she was a newsanchor for Spanish television. She also studied and worked in Mexico I believe. Letizia is not isolated like Mathilde is.

I sometimes wonder what if maxima married felipe instead. I wonder how that would work.

Oh come on guys... I don't think anyone set out to marry a "foreigner" or the "girl next door". I think that they met, they fell in love and got married. Simple as that for me :)

it just seems strange to me that many of theses crown princes could not find women in their own country to marry.

maybe because they want to find someone who lives somewhere else so it is harder to find skeletons in the closet.

I don't think a foreign princess would be popular in Britain. Conversely a lot of Danes have said that Frederik was better off not marrying a Dane. I find the attitudes of both countries puzzling. Its like they are narrowing the field for the heir to the throne when its already narrow enough.

All in all I don't think a Crown Princess' popularity outside their country matters so much as acceptance in the country.

Vicky.arg said:

I wouldn't say more popular, just as some would see it as unorthodox. For instance Kronprinsesse Mary of Denmark and Princess Maxima of Holland, their actions have had more should one say attention and scrutiny because they have chosen to leave their respective homelands and live in the lands and espouse the Languages and Cultures of their respective Husbands.

Many people in general commend them for this, as it is a huge feet but one replete with rewards.:):) :)

Last edited:
I don't think it's necessarily true that foreign-born CP's are more popular than ones who come from the same country they're going to help reign over someday. To me, Letizia and Mathilde seem to be just as popular as Maxima and Mary. What the foreign princesses seem to get more of, though, is press coverage, probably because they are from another country and not only had to learn the royal ways of doing things but learn about a whole new language and culture as well. Plus, I think people rather like the idea of anybody from anywhere becoming royalty, not just those who already lived in a country with a monarchy in the first place.

That said, I don't think the men who marry women who are CP's in their own right attract quiet as much attention as the ladies who do the same thing, no matter what country they're from.

Fred and Mary. . .Humble Beginnings!

ysbel said:
I don't think a foreign princess would be popular in Britain. Conversely a lot of Danes have said that Frederik was better off not marrying a Dane. I find the attitudes of both countries puzzling. Its like they are narrowing the field for the heir to the throne when its already narrow enough.

All in all I don't think a Crown Princess' popularity outside their country matters so much as acceptance in the country.

I think it is great that Frederik married an Aussie.:) I love the story how they met in a pub during the Sydney Olympics and she didn't know who he was at first. From such humble beginnings come the true romances and love.

Too bad Nicholas of Greece, who was with Frederik, didn't find a "princess" for himself!!!:D :p

Australian said:
maybe because they want to find someone who lives somewhere else so it is harder to find skeletons in the closet.

With the media being what it is today in all countries, and technology being what it is, nobody can escape the hungry journalists who will turn over every rock and stone to uncover the skeletons in anyone's closet. It doesn't matter where you are from and in which royal family you are marrying. It wouldn't matter if the princess to be was from the Antarctic. There is always some journalist willing to go there to find out who her ex-boyfriends are or if she ever got a bad grade in home economics.

yes i agree with that, but why didnt Frederik marry a Danish woman? From what i hear, he was looking for an overseas bride. Why? (If its true he was looking for a foreign bride)

Genevieve said:
With the media being what it is today in all countries, and technology being what it is, nobody can escape the hungry journalists who will turn over every rock and stone to uncover the skeletons in anyone's closet. It doesn't matter where you are from and in which royal family you are marrying. It wouldn't matter if the princess to be was from the Antarctic. There is always some journalist willing to go there to find out who her ex-boyfriends are or if she ever got a bad grade in home economics.
At least it will difficult to find informans or sources who know very detil about those "import" princess more than a domestic one, except she has many indiscreet closed friend or family member;).

Australian said:
From what i hear, he was looking for an overseas bride. Why? (If its true he was looking for a foreign bride)
I also heard that the queen herself who adviced him about it (but I'm not sure about her reason)

I love the account too!:p

tiaraprin said:
I think it is great that Frederik married an Aussie.:) I love the story how they met in a pub during the Sydney Olympics and she didn't know who he was at first. From such humble beginnings come the true romances and love.

Too bad Nicholas of Greece, who was with Frederik, didn't find a "princess" for himself!!!:D :p

I honestly think it would be much easier to find CPs that weren't foreign so that they wouldn't have to learn anything about the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom