Favorite European Royal Head of State

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Favorite European Royal Head of State

• King Carl Gustaf of Sweden

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • King Harald of Norway

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • Queen Margrethe of Denmark

Votes: 32 15.8%
  • Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom

Votes: 58 28.7%
  • King Albert of Belgium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • King Juan Carlos of Spain

Votes: 28 13.9%
  • HSH Prince Albert of Monaco

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • HSH Prince Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Jennifer

Moderator Emeritus
City
DMV Region
Country
United States
This poll was requested by a member. Who is your Favorite European Royal Head of State. Feel free to vote, then state who you voted for and why you picked that Head of State.

If anyone would like a poll started for Non-European Royal Heads of State please contact a member of the moderating team.

QE II. She's been at it for more than half a century and never waivered. Now that's dedication.

Queen Elizabeth- the oldest and yet still the hardest working of all the European monarchs through all the 55 years of her reign.

Well I need some time to think about just one fave. As I get more accustom to more and more royalty my faves kind of change a little from time to time. I would have to say that Queen Beatrix, King Juan Carlos, and Queen Elizabeth are among my faves. I shall return to officially put in my vote. This is a tough choice!

I really like Queen Margrethe. She seems very nice and laid back. Just seeing a picture of Queen Elizabeth makes me feel like I need to stand up straight and tuck my shirt in and curtsy!:)

I'm just kidding, I love Queen Elizabeth as well, she's my second favorite.

As I live in a republican country away from Europe we don't receice much information about royal families, exception to the United Kingdom, Spain and Monaco royal families. Because of that I can't say King Albert, King Harald or Queen Margrethe are good monarchs or not. But I think King Juan Carlos is the perfect example of what a monarch should be: imponent, charismatic and charming. And he has a wonderful family, what is a bonus.

I actually surprised myself when I selected Queen Beatrix as my favorite. Overall I like the Swedish family (with the Dutch right behind them). In considering monarchs, I almost put QEII because even with everything that has happened in her family, she will forever be something of a royal icon (and I haven't seen the movie).

I chose Beatrix because the more I study her, the more I find that her qualities are very extreme (read BIG) just like her hair and her hats. She definitely commands authority but she also seems to be one of the most approachable monarchs. She wears some outrageous get-ups but always manages to look appropriate, professional, and elegant (attributes that many of us attribute to Sofia and Silvia). She appears to genuinely care about her family very deeply, including her extended family of cousins (in the pics of QEII's visit, it looks like she almost couldn't contain herself to get there and greet Liz with a warm hug). And in almost every event, you gotta love a broad that loves to let loose with a hearty laugh. In the next generation, I think what I like in Victoria and Maxima are these same qualities. That is why I chose HM Queen Beatrix.

Mapper

My vote goes to Prince Hans Adam II. The tiny principality became a member of the United Nations under his regime. Besides his offspring and their spouses don't seem to cause any scandalous headlines.;)

Last edited:
Queen Beatrix

I have voted for Queen Beatrix.

Not because she is my own Queen, but mainly because she personifies my own idea of a lady Sovereign: distant but still approchable, full of majesty but still human, being affable but always with a sunny smile.

And besides that: the way she outs herself in her garderobe, no matter it is a visit to the zoo or the opening of a new gevernment building, the way she modernized her Household but keeping it 'royal' (do not replace Hofdames, Dames du Palais, Chamberlains, by something banal as a 'PA'), the continuation of old traditions (Prinsjesdag, the use of a horsedrawn hearse during funerals, the impeccable grand events (weddings, funerals, state visits), the way she gives her daughters-in-law all chances to sparkle, to glitz and to glam, the wonderful and warm doted grandmother in her...

:flowers:

Henri M. said:

Not because she is my own Queen, but mainly because she personifies my own idea of a lady Sovereign: distant but still approchable, full of majesty but still human, being affable but always with a sunny smile.

And besides that: the way she outs herself in her garderobe, no matter it is a visit to the zoo or the opening of a new gevernment building, the way she modernized her Household but keeping it 'royal' (do not replace Hofdames, Dames du Palais, Chamberlains, by something banal as a 'PA'), the continuation of old traditions (Prinsjesdag, the use of a horsedrawn hearse during funerals, the impeccable grand events (weddings, funerals, state visits), the way she gives her daughters-in-law all chances to sparkle, to glitz and to glam, the wonderful and warm doted grandmother in her...

:flowers:

I couldn't agree more!!!

Henri, I don't think it could be said any better about Queen Beatrix.

The Dutch RF has always been the one, with Norway right up there, that I have been interested in the most. The more I learn about Her Majesty, the more I like her and have great respect for her. She is every inch what I beleive a queen should be. Traditional and very regal yet there is something about her that makes her seem not so removed and unreachable, there is that slight bit of mystery to her as well. Maybe its that natural and warm smile she has or the obvious love she has for her family (her and Claus made the best couple) and the time she devotes to her kids, and now her adorable grandchildren.

If I ever had the chance to pick a royal head of state for my country, I would want it to be Queen Beatrix. She is just a truly fascinating person who understands her role and has done an amazing job at that.

Without a doubt, King Juan Carlos. He works extremely hard for Spain, despite at the beginning when people had little faith in him and this helped him to win many admirers and supporters along the way.:king: :flowers:

I have immense respect for most of the Current European Royal heads of state, with Queen Beatrix, King Harald, Queen Margarethe, King Juan Carlos and Grand Duke Henri among my favourites.

However my most favourite was and is Queen Elizabeth.
For many years Her Majesty has been the symbol of duty and dedication.

Hereditary Mapmaker said:
...I chose Beatrix because the more I study her, the more I find that her qualities are very extreme (read BIG) just like her hair and her hats. She definitely commands authority but she also seems to be one of the most approachable monarchs. She wears some outrageous get-ups but always manages to look appropriate, professional, and elegant (attributes that many of us attribute to Sofia and Silvia). She appears to genuinely care about her family very deeply, including her extended family of cousins (in the pics of QEII's visit, it looks like she almost couldn't contain herself to get there and greet Liz with a warm hug). And in almost every event, you gotta love a broad that loves to let loose with a hearty laugh. In the next generation, I think what I like in Victoria and Maxima are these same qualities. That is why I chose HM Queen Beatrix.

Henry M. said:

Very well said Henry and Mapper. :flowers:
Queen Beatrix certainly deserve every single word in your posts. I have to admit, with all my immense love and respect for Queen Elizabeth, it was a tough choice - I almost did end up voting for Queen Beatrix.

King Juan Carlos :flowers: :flowers:
Great King, funny and wonderful person, loving husband, great father and sweet grandfather. He is doing a great job, especially in the beginning of his reign during the transition from dictatorship to democracy. Great guy :wub:

Avalon said:
Very well said Henry and Mapper. :flowers:
Queen Beatrix certainly deserve every single word in your posts. I have to admit, with all my immense love and respect for Queen Elizabeth, it was a tough choice - I almost did end up voting for Queen Beatrix.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had so much trouble. Thanks for the feedback, Avalon.

Mapper

Definitely Queen Elizabeth II-perfect example of what it means to be a monarch

Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom is the exemplar of sovergnity, thus my reason for voting for her. I found Queen Beatrix's ability to connect with her subjects and those people whom she encounters through her life's work commendable. Her manner with people seems almost effortless unlike some heads of state whom it appears to take something from them simply converse with common folk.

Interesting question - I think I can separate it into two: who do I respect the most, and I would like to have a drink in a pub with. My answer for the first, QEII, without doubt. She represents to me all that is best about such old-fashioned values as discipline and commitment. Dame Helen already summarised all that perfectly in her Oscar speech :flowers: My favourite drinking partner would, on the other hand, definitely be Q Margarethe, who appears creative, intelligent, non-conformist and funny. GD Henri would be welcome to join, just because he is rather easy on the eye :lol:

Of course, I choose only one of the Monarchs, but I respect and like most of them. Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands is great as a head of the State, but I also likes King Harald and King of Sweden...Hard, very hard to choice just one!

Vanesa.

...sOfIa.... said:
Without a doubt, King Juan Carlos.
A year ago, I would have leaned to agreeing with you mostly.

But he loses out for two reasons. Yes, he united Spain and has been a real leader with charisma on one hand.

On the other hand, the incident not too long ago when he went to Russia to do what would have been more than illegal on his home turf: shoot and kill a tame bear who was fed drunk, was an act that was absolutely off base. Especially for someone who is supposed to provide an example to his fellow Spaniards, and fellow men and women too. Thumbs down, way way down, for this low low behavior of this king. :mad: If it hadn't been for this incident, he'd hav e been high on my list, despite point nr two, see below.

The other thumbs down is the way he's always treated his spouse. Running around with mistresses is the rumor that's dogged this man for eons. Of course, this is a rumor, hwoever where there's smoke, there's probably fire, more likely so than not in this particular case. With a wife like Sophia, I am very disappointed in JC's conduct as a husband, I have to say. He has been so lucky to have her by his side, she's never ever ever put a foot wrong. But he has. :sad::ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom